Tablets at guest services

Cruisin 4 Ever

24 minutes ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Since I can no longer get the transderm patches in Canada, I've been trying to find a good product for seasickness. I know of dramamine and bodine. I've heard there are tablets kept at guest services that work really well if you're sick and you just have to ask. Is this true?

They sell them. It's just bonine. They sell the same thing in the gift shop and at the medical center.

6 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Since I can no longer get the transderm patches in Canada, I've been trying to find a good product for seasickness. I know of dramamine and bodine. I've heard there are tablets kept at guest services that work really well if you're sick and you just have to ask. Is this true?

Sam's Club, Walmart and other store pharmacies carry Rugby brand of Bonine  for much less than the brand name.  Just ask at the pharmacy counters.  Do not expect to get them for free onboard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Sam's Club, Walmart and other store pharmacies carry Rugby brand of Bonine  for much less than the brand name.  Just ask at the pharmacy counters.  Do not expect to get them for free onboard.  

$5.99 on Amazon. Chewable.

61RPkKJQ6oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My DH was seasick on the last cruise on MG on a Dec sailing.  I only had expired over-the-counter medication but it worked.  Sort of.   I was able to go to GS and they gave me a few free packets.  We also bring 4 cans of ginger ale.  Emitrol is a good anti nausea medication and can be taken by kids and expectant women. 

They used to have on the buffet several fruits, some of which were green apples.  Just bananas now because of cost cutting.  I went to the lady at the podium in the Lido and she asked the head kitchen person, who evidently had to go look “in storage” to get one.  

Next time, I’m going to have my DH to get the patches. He was either miserable or sleeping through the entire cruise.  

I’m curious if any of these are non-drowsy.  He literally missed the whole cruise.   

3 hours ago, audcc77 said:

My DH was seasick on the last cruise on MG on a Dec sailing.  I only had expired over-the-counter medication but it worked.  Sort of.   I was able to go to GS and they gave me a few free packets.  We also bring 4 cans of ginger ale.  Emitrol is a good anti nausea medication and can be taken by kids and expectant women. 

They used to have on the buffet several fruits, some of which were green apples.  Just bananas now because of cost cutting.  I went to the lady at the podium in the Lido and she asked the head kitchen person, who evidently had to go look “in storage” to get one.  

Next time, I’m going to have my DH to get the patches. He was either miserable or sleeping through the entire cruise.  

I’m curious if any of these are non-drowsy.  He literally missed the whole cruise.   

bonine is supposed to be non-drowsy. For some people it can still cause drowsiness. I like the patches for long trips and bonine for short trip. However, be aware that the patches can have much more significant and severe side effects than bonine. It's worth trying at home first, especially if he is prone to medication side effects. I rarely have medication side effects and haven't had issues with patches. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sanger727 said:

bonine is supposed to be non-drowsy. For some people it can still cause drowsiness. I like the patches for long trips and bonine for short trip. However, be aware that the patches can have much more significant and severe side effects than bonine. It's worth trying at home first, especially if he is prone to medication side effects. I rarely have medication side effects and haven't had issues with patches. 

Wife used to get the patches. You had dry mouth and by the end of the week her vision was too blurry to read the menus. I had to tell her what was on the menu. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Wife used to get the patches. You had dry mouth and by the end of the week her vision was too blurry to read the menus. I had to tell her what was on the menu. 

Eyes are affected because the medication that is on the patches gets washed to your face and from your hands

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I have used them several times and never had any side effects.

I have never needed them on a large ship cruise. I have taken a few of the small sailing ship cruises, however, and I needed the patch then.

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

I have used them several times and never had any side effects.

I have never needed them on a large ship cruise. I have taken a few of the small sailing ship cruises, however, and I needed the patch then.

She doesn't use them anymore and doesn't take anything. She always carries bonine just in case.

She would go on a cruise with the patch and at the end of week declare that they worked great. My queston to her was, how do you know you wouldn't have been fine without the patch. I finally got her to try a cruise without the patch. She didn't get sick and it's been smooth sailing since then.

Like you on the new larger ships you can barely feel any movement whatsover most of the time.

18 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

She doesn't use them anymore and doesn't take anything. She always carries bonine just in case.

She would go on a cruise with the patch and at the end of week declare that they worked great. My queston to her was, how do you know you wouldn't have been fine without the patch. I finally got her to try a cruise without the patch. She didn't get sick and it's been smooth sailing since then.

Like you on the new larger ships you can barely feel any movement whatsover most of the time.

my issue is primarily based on vision. I’ve gotten motion sick at movies several times. If I see motion but don’t feel it or don’t see motion but do feel it I get sick. So big boats are actually worse for me than small boats. You can see out the window that you are moving but can’t feel it. Have to either be on deck looking at the horizon or inside with no windows when seas are calm. When seas are rough, all bets are off 🙄

I SWEAR by sea bands.  I used to have to take the pills and then my husband found these for me to try.  I get motion sickness in the back seat of a car I am so bad.

The SEA BANDS work AWESOME!  Best part is there are no side effects.  You can wear them only when you need them, and they work within just a few minutes of putting them on.  So unlike sea sickness medicine that you either have to keep taking nonstop - or take it when you feel bad and then have to wait 20 minutes for it to kick in and hope you don't puke it back up by then, the bands work right away. Any motion sickness medicine, even non drowsy always made me out of it, and sleepy.

You can find them in a lot of stores like Rite Aid, I have seen them in the airport shops, and of course there is always Amazon.  They are pretty cheap.

Use 3 finger widths measurement up from the base of your hand and place the little nubby right on that vein that protrudes when you bend your wrist back for perfect placement.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:37 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

I think that is true for many people.  They get their "sea legs" or what they are feeling is confused with motion sickness...dehydration, constipation result in nausea so they think they have motion sickness.  I rarely feel ship motion/motion sickness but one ride on a water shuttle or trying the water tube slide and there is it.  

Ginger is also good for motion/sea sickness. I've used both ginger capsules, but also just slices of candied ginger (can be found in some larger supermarkets or Oriental markets; I would take a handful in a ziplock bag for my trip and eat about a quarter size piece each morning, another sometimes in the afternoon). If you can find ginger-ale made with real ginger, that helps also.

Ask your Dr for a prescription of meclezine.  Very inexpensive.  Start taking a couple of days prior to sailing, at night.  That way if it makes you sleepy, If you take them at might you'll sleep well and be guarded against the nausea. Then contine taking them at night throughput your cruise.  You'll have less issues being tired during the day and minimal, if any nausea.  A great back up to bring with are chewable ginger candy's.  Found ours at a natural store, again very inexpensive and they worked well.

3 hours ago, Lidolounger said:

Ask your Dr for a prescription of meclezine.  Very inexpensive.  Start taking a couple of days prior to sailing, at night.  That way if it makes you sleepy, If you take them at might you'll sleep well and be guarded against the nausea. Then contine taking them at night throughput your cruise.  You'll have less issues being tired during the day and minimal, if any nausea.  A great back up to bring with are chewable ginger candy's.  Found ours at a natural store, again very inexpensive and they worked well.

you don't need a prescription for meclizine (in the US).  Buy it on Amazon or wal-mart for about $5 and let your doctor spend more time with patients who are ill.  As mentioned, it is supposed to be "less-drowsy", but like all medications, it affects people differently.

On 12/31/2022 at 11:26 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Eyes are affected because the medication that is on the patches gets washed to your face and from your hands

actually, it affects your vision because that can happen with anti-histamines.  (side-effect)