Douro River recommendations, experiences, and tips.

mozfoz

Thinking about a Douro cruise with Uniworld, sometime in 2024.  Having done the Rhine and Danube,  I am asking for comments and/or comparisons regarding your experiences . Please tell me recommendations or concerns that might be helpful in selecting a cruise line, season and experiences that will be appreciated.

Who did you do the Rhine and Danube with?  Uniworld?  If so, you already know the downsides [décor 😉].

The Douro brings its own changes:  the river is very narrow, so only daytime sailing is allowed [this is generally considered a good thing, as you actually get to enjoy the scenery that is shown in all the ads...].  But that also means the sights are generally at the top of the very steep banks, so there is less ability to wander off the ship and explore on your own.  And the focus of most river cruise sightseeing is wine:  Port, Port and more Port.

Most river cruise lines seem to have similar itineraries on the Douro [as everywhere].  One big difference is that Scenic offers both the usual 7-nt sailings and also the 10-nt Unforgettable Douro (Porto-to-Porto, including Salamanca and many sightseeing options that are nature or cultural, rather than Port wine intensive). 

After much research, that's the one we booked.  Our first Scenic cruise, May 2022 on a 10-nt itinerary on the Seine, was spectacular.  I'll let you (and everyone) know about their Douro itinerary after our cruise late September 2023.

• Like 2

We used Uniworld with the precruise extension in Libson. We were very pleased.

As you may know, due to special rules in Portugal, there is no sailing at night. Also, the ships and crews on all the lines are managed by the same Portuguese company. 

We sailed during July which actually worked out well with the schedule. Most pax were on deck in swimsuits enjoying the sunshine while sailing past the vineyards and thru the locks. Everything is included in the Uniworld fare so if you’re up for a cocktail by the pool why not? Uniworld also includes Salamanca in it’s itinerary. 

Well here are my five eggs, we went with Scenic and if you have Maria Elaina as a guide you’re in for a treat. In Porto don’t miss the sardine can shop really quirky, at the stock exchange go up high to get the full effect of the floor, try as many freebies as possible in the market and wonder at the most beautiful tile work in the railway station. That’s only the start lovely cruise, super people, enjoy!

image.thumb.jpeg.a76022a9ad424b5d4a794ffdb8a8c588.jpeg

Avalon will be offering two cruises on the Douro for the first time this year. One Porto - Porto (8 days), and another that adds in 3 days in Lisbon. Both include a trip to Salamanca. 

The ship is not "online" yet, but looks like they are having it built to include the beds facing the windows like the other European ships, but it will be quite a bit smaller.

Figured it out:  Comur, Campo dos Mártires da Pátria 111, 4050-367 Porto, Portugal

https://www.comur.com/onde-estamos/loja-casa-oriental/

So the dates are just souvenir decorations?  I was afraid these were (very) vintage sardines!!!

And thanks for the suggestions.  I picked up a couple of ideas to add to my Porto sightseeing itinerary.  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Figured it out:  Comur, Campo dos Mártires da Pátria 111, 4050-367 Porto, Portugal

https://www.comur.com/onde-estamos/loja-casa-oriental/

So the dates are just souvenir decorations?  I was afraid these were (very) vintage sardines!!!

And thanks for the suggestions.  I picked up a couple of ideas to add to my Porto sightseeing itinerary.  😀

1951 was an exceptional year for canned sardines. 1944... not so much! 😝

Portugal does do have very good canned artisan sardines. Recommend trying some. 👌 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, mozfoz said:

Please tell me recommendations or concerns that might be helpful in selecting a cruise line, season and experiences that will be appreciated.

We did the Douro on Emerald in early Nov, 2022.  Good value/mild weather with occasional rain. Highlights were Salamanca and Emerald Plus' dinner with a classical music ensemble in a winery's restaurant amid the aging casks.  Emerald used three affable on-board guides and same bus drivers the entire trip--but we met different local guides at the various port calls who provided the local commentary. 

If you have time,  well worth a few days pre/post cruise in Porto/Vila de Nova Gaia (directly across the river).  Used Rick Steves for planning and DIY attraction/dining suggestions. Take a look at Porto Card  price/discounts.

Spent a very enjoyable  week post-cruise on Madeira --1/2 in/around Funchal--1/2 in Ponto Moniz with rental car (had 1st scuba lesson at age 77 in Ponto Moniz' tidal pool and aquarium tanks-excellent instructor).  Portuguese are friendly, laid back and great hosts.

• Like 2

We took a cruise of the Douro with our friends in 2014 on Viking. The holiday started with three nights in Lisbon. Lisbon is a pleasant city but Mrs Pontac and I had been there many times before on business so ...

I see Uniworld offer both an 8 and 11 day holiday, 8 days being Porto > Porto, 11 days being Porto>Port then coach to Lisbon. Be aware that it's an all day coach ride from Porto to Lisbon; the Viking coach broke the journey twice, one for lunch and one to tour Coimbra. Looking at the scant information on Uniworld's site, they promise Dine on traditional fare in majestic Coimbra so  it looks like lunch will be in Coimbra.

The Douro is dramatic with steep high banks on either side, terraced with grape vines and with wineries along the way. It's the home of the famous Port (Porto in the USA) fortified wine, but there's much more than Port. Lack of demand from current consumers means much table wine is now produced and they can be sublime and are very good value.

The further you travel from Porto the narrower the river so in places it seems you can touch both banks. But the navigable river is short, it stops at the Spanish border then you travel back to Porto. The day trip to Salamanca (a city worth seeing) involves a long coach trip.

There aren't many places on the river that ships can moor. And there lies a problem. When we travelled in 2014 there were few tour ships. Our friends went back in 2022 and they were constantly rafted because there are now so many tour ships.

2 hours ago, pontac said:

I see Uniworld offer both an 8 and 11 day holiday, 8 days being Porto > Porto, 11 days being Porto>Port then coach to Lisbon.

Scenic is the only one I know of that does 11 days all on the Douro, Porto to Porto (among other options like the ones you describe for Uniworld).  We're using MyDayTrip to get from Lisbon to Porto over several days, and then Porto to LIS at the end.

Having just done a Douro cruise with Tauck, I would highly recommend seeing the region by car instead.  It is easy to drive and would be much more interesting than the boring “sea days” and underwhelming port towns along the river.  The river is beautiful but the cruise was almost too much of a good thing and became boring after the first full day of sailing.  If you haven’t been to Portugal it is so easy to navigate and see Lisbon and Porto as well as the Douro region in 10 days or so.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Could not agree at all we had a wonderful experience with Scenic full of interest plenty of choices and I’d say especial crew, friendly and prepared to go out of their way for everyone’s pleasure.

Same with Uniworld. Every day something different. 

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Could not agree at all we had a wonderful experience with Scenic full of interest plenty of choices and I’d say especial crew, friendly and prepared to go out of their way for everyone’s pleasure.

Ditto for Viking.

Interesting perspective, as the most common complaint I see about river cruising is that there isn't any daytime sailing past beautiful river vistas – and the Douro is the one itinerary that has that.  But I do understand: our first ocean cruise was deliberately chosen because it was port-intensive and we were dreading the two sea days – we ended up enjoying them, but a little bit can go a long way.  We'll see:  this summer we have the Scenic 11-day Douro cruise booked, so we'll have even more "sea days" than you did.

37 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

We did the eleven day on Scenic and in some cases actually had to make ourselves stop to catch a breath.

Then perhaps what is fast-paced for some is slow-paced for others.  This Douro cruise was the first time we were glad when it was over despite the stellar reputation of Tauck; but then we had already been traveling for weeks when we started the Douro Cruise.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Interesting perspective, as the most common complaint I see about river cruising is that there isn't any daytime sailing past beautiful river vistas – and the Douro is the one itinerary that has that.  But I do understand: our first ocean cruise was deliberately chosen because it was port-intensive and we were dreading the two sea days – we ended up enjoying them, but a little bit can go a long way.  We'll see:  this summer we have the Scenic 11-day Douro cruise booked, so we'll have even more "sea days" than you did.

Be sure to go on the top deck when you go through locks - and be prepared to duck.

• Like 1