Opinions on 9:30am flight out of FLL debarkation day (not southwest)

Dylan0474mac

For all you early risers and debarkers- Can this be done or is it not worth the stress?  Direct flights back to Colorado can be limited.

This is my first time on celebrity so I'm not sure how early they start letting people off.  Planning on walking my bag off the ship and grabbing a cab.   I'll be on the beyond from FLL in February.  Thanks for the opinions!

In a perfect world maybe, but If one thing goes wrong this could be a problem. On our cruise earlier this month, the walk off line was enormous and it didn’t start moving until 7:40 am. Then the customs line was long and was extremely slow.  9:30 would have been a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally not worth the stress. Anything can happen to slow the debarkation process. Will it?  Who knows but racing off the ship, through customs, to the curb and into a waiting (or not) Uber only to hit a wall of traffic in the tsa security line at the air port has me stressed out just thinking about it. I wouldn’t entertain any flight before 10:30 and that’s still pushing it IMO. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you do it, book a backup flight, on the day of, cancel the flight you didn't fly on; will be a credit, not a refund

That’s a brilliant idea. I’ve sweated 11am departures and had booked private shuttle. 

• Like 1

You just never know.  FWIW, my husband, who’s much bolder in general than I am, thought it would be too risky to try for a 9:30 flight. 

we took our time getting off the ship and we were still at FLL and cleared TSA by 8:45.   BUT, we were on United and have TSA pre check.   It would have been another story without TSA pre check. 

also, FWIW, there was a 9:40 flight to our destination, but it had a mechanical delay and our 11:30 flight arrived a good 2 hours earlier than the 9:40 flight.  Bottom line, why stress?  

BUT, if you have CLEAR or TSA pre check, you walk your bags off the ship and turn right for a Taxi rather than ride share, you can make a 9:30 flight.    If you don’t have tsa pre check or clear, you’re not an early bird or fit enough to walk yourself and your bags off with the first group, then, I’d go for a later flight.  Walk around the airport.  It’s kinda fun to walk on dry land again,  grab a meal or drink at a restaurant and relax

• Like 1

We have priority, TSA precheck, prepay our bags, self disembark, use a taxi, and have our phones ON 24 hours beforehand for any text alerts (reason 3087 why to not keep phone off during cruise) of flight issues.  We always make the flights if port is near airport like FLL.  

As an aside, I know people like to and keep their phones in their safes and don't connect during their vacation.  Here's why I don't.  We were recently on a Royal cruise and were scheduled to visit St. Thomas post cruise from the 23rd to the 28th.  On the 22nd, I got an alert from Trip Case that our Cape Air flight from SJU to STT was canceled.  My husband who has the international plan from work spent about 1 hour that night getting us on another flight.  We were the last 2 seats.  So yes, keeping your phone on at least 24 hours prior is really helpful to ensure you are fully prepared.

• Like 1

I get a chuckle from all these posts wondering about an early flight. The one thing that no one seems to even consider is that there have been times (not many, granted) that for one reason or another the ship does not dock at the scheduled time. Yes, their on-time record is excellent, but it is always something to bear in mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Take it from someone who has actually done it; you can easily make a 930am flight out of FLL from PE.

My experience disembarking Beyond on 12/26:

✅ 7:25 - Left ship
✅ 7:31 - Outside on curb ordering Uber
✅ 7:37 - In Uber
✅ 7:45 - Arrived at airport
✅ 7:50 - At gate

You will have to get in line early for disembarkation. Taking a taxi (as opposed to waiting for Uber) as you suggest will save you some time.

Is there some risk? Do you need a plan B? Yes. But as you can see, I made it with time to spare. 

Another possible alternative is to look and see the cost of staying the night and taking the early flight home the next day.  This can be far cheaper if disembarkation falls on a Sunday. 

I’ve made a total of 3 flight between 845-9am with plenty of time to spare.  Disclaimer, I have airline status, global/pre-check and Clear.  

Assuming one is mobile enough to self carry off and head straight to the taxi line (Uber/Lyft can have issues since they need to SUCCESSFULLY get through the checkpoint), odds are the biggest hold up will be dropping off your bags.  Curbside is an option but if there’s a huge inside line for baggage drop, curb side will also usually be long.  Most airlines have a 45min prior to boarded bag drop deadline.  Most planes stop boarding 15mins before take off

Why are you soliciting opinions from strangers? Ask 1000 people and you will get 2000 different answers.

If you are asking this question, you already doubt the feasibility of this plan. Eliminate the stress - book a later flight or spend an extra night in FLL. 

Ultimately it is you that has to make the decision - why let strangers do it for you?

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Why are you soliciting opinions from strangers? Ask 1000 people and you will get 2000 different answers.

If you are asking this question, you already doubt the feasibility of this plan. Eliminate the stress - book a later flight or spend an extra night in FLL. 

Ultimately it is you that has to make the decision - why let strangers do it for you?

In the spirit of the purpose of Cruise Critic, I often solicit the opinions of strangers (on this board). As you said a 1000 people will have 1000 different answers/opinions… each one helping me draw my own conclusion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm actually glad everyone goes to the 3pm and later flights.  Less congestion at TSA.  And PE to FLL isn't like Civitavecchia to Rome.  Its 2.7 miles.  But, as I said, more people who are nervous about missing their 1230pm flights after docking at 7am, the better for me.