The big 3 eliminated turn down service for non-suites, will X follow? If you enjoy it, be sure you mention it on the survey

NutsAboutGolf

Just now, TeeRick said:

they can leave the chocolates in the morning instead,  The Daily can be electronic - saves all that paper!

Agree it is an awful lot of wasted paper but I've enjoyed reading it at night in bed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I wonder if this service reduction would be limited to CL/RCL/NCL and that the premium lines such as Princess, HAL, and Celebrity would retain it.

That is the question.  They could eliminate twice a days for insides/OVs/balconies only, at least initially

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I wonder if this service reduction would be limited to CL/RCL/NCL and that the premium lines such as Princess, HAL, and Celebrity would retain it.

I don't consider Princess, HAL, and Celebrity premium lines. But for what it's worth,  HAL has already made the change to once a day. I don't follow princess closely, but since they are also part of Carnival Cruise Lines I suspect they have already made the change as well. 

• Like 1

Looks like I’m in the minority but I’d miss the evening turn down. Really enjoy returning to our cabin late at night to find the curtains shut, lamps on and the chocolate and daily on the pillow. It’s one of the things which differentiate cruise travel from a resort. Yes, I can turn down my bed myself, but I can also cook, make my bed, clean the bathroom and do dishes, which I have no intention of doing on a cruise.  We cruise to be looked after for a short period of time. 
if this service was eliminated on Celebrity, along with the other cutbacks, it would cause us to look elsewhere. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't consider Princess, HAL, and Celebrity premium lines. But for what it's worth,  HAL has already made the change to once a day. I don't follow princess closely, but since they are also part of Carnival Cruise Lines I suspect they have already made the change as well. 

I consider Princess, HAL, and Celebrity to be a step up from Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, barneyboy said:

Looks like I’m in the minority but I’d miss the evening turn down. Really enjoy returning to our cabin late at night to find the curtains shut, lamps on and the chocolate and daily on the pillow. It’s one of the things which differentiate cruise travel from a resort. Yes, I can turn down my bed myself, but I can also cook, make my bed, clean the bathroom and do dishes, which I have no intention of doing on a cruise.  We cruise to be looked after for a short period of time. 
if this service was eliminated on Celebrity, along with the other cutbacks, it would cause us to look elsewhere. 

+1

Next you will need to queue at Guest Services with everyone else to retrieve your weekly allotment of towels. 

Laundry will become a paid activity:

Delve into this unique experience with this hands-on demonstration in which you create your own beautiful memories using traditional techniques to learn the art of laundry washing, drying, and folding.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, bEwAbG said:

Next you will need to queue at Guest Services with everyone else to retrieve your weekly allotment of towels. 

Laundry will become a paid activity:

Delve into this unique experience with this hands-on demonstration in which you create your own beautiful memories using traditional techniques to learn the art of laundry washing, drying, and folding.

Probably extra charges for ordering more than two entrees and/or more than one lobster tail...Also, probably premium items with up charges added to MDR

I wouldn't miss the chocolates, but my son would. I always collect them and bring them home for my son. They go into a dish in the corner of the kitchen. When the supply gets low, he says, "You need to go on another cruise soon, Mom and Dad!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

The cruise lines are becoming like the airlines.   Air travel use to be luxurious and now it is bare bones public transportation like riding a city bus or subway.  

It use to be luxurious to cruise, now they are like  the airlines that keeps nibbling away.  

I would not be surprise that they will start charging for luggage and have a weight restriction 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Customers are a big part of the problem.   Airline passengers shop for price not level of service.   Cruise passengers are following suit.   They will sign up for the cheapest not the best.  

A clean  bathroom and  fresh soft towels are most important to us,  and a room that  is well vacuumed and dusted,  After awhile the rms will be like some  dorms..pigsty!

Recently stayed at Emb  Suite 17th street., .. it has gotten old and creaky, and the lamps and surfaces were layered in dust..  bad for allergues

It will be refurbed next yr.. but could use a wrecking ball!

• Thanks 1

It isn't a biggie for me.  I can turn down my own bed.  Don't need the chocolates.  I am a save the earth type of person - I use my towels more than once and make a point to hang them up.  The daily can be gotten rid of - no need to kill more trees.

The only thing I would miss is my ice.  Gotta have my ice in the evening.

• Like 3

We usually ask our steward  to just service our room in the evening while we are at dinner. We mostly travel with a twentysomething who wants to lounge in the morning and not leave the cabin until

lunch. We do like our towels changed in the evening and the bed straightened but otherwise we are good. Hope we continue to have an option but will adjust if needed. 

5 hours ago, OysterD said:

That was actually a bug bear of mine the other month. I hate wastage and made an effort to hang all my towels up so the room attendant wouldn't replace them, as the sign in the bathroom said. Yet every day I'd have a new set of towels. One doesn't need a new towel after using it once, there's just no need. However, I kept forgetting to mention it to the room attendant and wouldn't remember again until stepping out of the shower and thinking darn, new towels again! Lol

AMEN!!! I always hang mine back up, which should mean they stay. But no - I always return to fresh towels. Maybe I'll write it on a card and hand it to my steward on my next cruise - "Please do NOT replace towels which are hung back on racks or hooks." I don't use freshly laundered towels daily at home - I don't need them on vacation either.

4 hours ago, prmssk said:

CCL actually switched to once a day service in 2017.  In the early years of that change, you could request twice a day and most stewards would honor that request but by 2019, that option wasn’t even there anymore. 

It's apparently not always applied consistently. We sailed on the Mardi Gras in July (aft balcony) and our steward serviced our cabin twice daily. He never asked us if we preferred mornings or evening. Mornings was an overall cleaning and new towels. Evenings he tidied up, swapped out towels if needed, and left a towel animal.

I never understood the “I do it  now” rationale. That why I go on vacation, to not have to do what I do now. Is any one “change” earthshattering —- of course not, but the slow but sure removal of services  adds up. At some point, it’s time to look elsewhere. That time is different for everyone.

mac_tlc

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I never understood the “I do it  now” rationale. That why I go on vacation, to not have to do what I do now. Is any one “change” earthshattering —- of course not, but the slow but sure removal of services  adds up. At some point, it’s time to look elsewhere. That time is different for everyone.

mac_tlc

I believe that’s what they want…”want twice a day cleaning?  Book the retreat today with our best offer of the week!”