Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

9 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Did X ever have if officially written somewhere that you could order room service dinner from MDR menu?  Many moons have passed since last I did that and I wonder if there will still be a room service, paid, option.  If the OVC offerings are a dud, a tray of multiple appetizers and/or soups could be my Plan C (on M-class aft balcony).  I'm going to specifically try that next month just to see how it goes.

I am wondering if a person could show up at the check in deck of a MDR and order a meal to go? 

• Haha 2

I have been thinking about the issue of the dinner buffet. Celebrity says that they are cutting back the dinner options in the OV due to lack of use. There are reports by some who say it is empty and by others who use it routinely and will miss that dining options . If indeed it is a cut back because of lack of use, then reducing the number of options will probably reduce even more the number of people who will use it with that change. Draw your own conclusions… I don’t want to start any unfounded rumors!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Perfect, another example of Modern Luxury.  A Take-Out window at the MDR entrance.

Actually X calls it Relaxed Luxury℠, and they include the service mark so it doesn't even need to be true, it's just a trademarked phrase.

• Haha 1

This thread makes me sad. We have enjoyed our many Celebrity cruises in the past, but our next cruise in December will likely be the last for a long while. Giving up Luminae will be sad, but we are looking forward to trying the many options on Oceania, with Regent for an occasion splurge. Reasons include longer itineraries, and less nickel-and-diming. It’s a different crowd on the shorter cruises also. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Definitely not what it means to me. An example of tacky service would be a waiter chewing gum while taking my order. Not a problem in a diner, but unbefitting of the upscale experience Celebrity promotes.

I would agree with that definition, it’s what it means to me too.

6 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

This thread makes me sad. We have enjoyed our many Celebrity cruises in the past, but our next cruise in December will likely be the last for a long while. Giving up Luminae will be sad, but we are looking forward to trying the many options on Oceania, with Regent for an occasion splurge. Reasons include longer itineraries, and less nickel-and-diming. It’s a different crowd on the shorter cruises also. 

You might love the December cruise and want more.

32 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We 'pay' for a suite for a variety of reasons, one of which is dining...it doesn't have to be a private Luminae dining room, but nice that it is smaller and service is expected to be better.  In our case, however, we don't find the 'food upscale', but less than we expect...in fact, the MDR menu is preferred on some occasions.  One poster quoted a server as saying "Luminae is all about presentation" to which we agree.  If there are cutbacks to the MDR and other dining venue menus, it also shows on the L menu...only a few options, not necessarily of the quality enjoyed in 'upscale' restaurants, does not make fine dining.

Maybe it does not apply to you, but I find that a number of North American cruisers do not have adventurous palates. They often do not like fish and are convinced that steak is the be-all and end-all of proteins. Lamb, squab and duck are considered "exotic".  Heaven forfend they have to deal with sea urchin or pork cheeks. Most don't know a veloute from a vierge.

I enjoy well prepared food with varied ingredients and rich and complex sauces, typical Continental fare. I also enjoy regional foods and would never turn down a good pho or dal or xiaolongbao. 

I've looked at Luminae menus and they look pretty interesting to me. Could definitely deal with those items for a week or two. Too bad I can't afford a suite. Maybe I could offer my services to some poor suite passenger who wants to sit cuddled up in a small dining room but still eat their large event food. We can swap meals. 🤣😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A couple of notes, then I'll get out of here:

1.  Just after the restart, Royal Caribbean closed the dinner buffet on most of their ships until the number of passengers they had consistently reached 50% of capacity.  Most of the ships Royal used then had other casual options and only had the late-night charge for room service.

2.  In reviewing my newsletters from my cruise on the Millie in November, I found the problem with a cut down service at the OVC.  Here's the full list of dining options other than the buffet after 5 PM on that list:

• Pool grill (only open until 6)
  • Luminae and Blu (they don't let riffraff like me in either of those places ☹️)
  • Sushi on Five, Le Petit Chef, and Tuscan Grille (all extra cost)
  • Room service (no fee then, but I assume it's coming soon fleetwide)
  • The MDR

So... if the buffet cuts down its offerings, it seems to me that Celebrity is pushing people to either head to the MDR or pay up for a decent dinner.  I always thought that Celebrity had the best selection of meal items and the best food quality of the mainstream cruise lines I've sailed on.  Now they're relying on food quality and hoping that I like what they decide to offer.  Maybe it'll work, but I'd rather they didn't do this.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I would characterize the buffet as laughable.  However, "not having or exhibiting good taste" AKA tacky is also a good descriptor for the buffet.  You could also call it cheesy...

I chose to take cruises because they did a better job than land vacations.  But with a buffet spread like this,  it is a complete joke. 

Perfect example of Tacky. 

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Perfect example of Tacky. 

Agree. As is patronising people. (Added this back in as ipee….. had the good grace to laugh as what was a dig at them 👍sorry pal - this is a forum that we can all take too seriously)

Edited by C4HCG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We 'pay' for a suite for a variety of reasons, one of which is dining...it doesn't have to be a private Luminae dining room, but nice that it is smaller and service is expected to be better.  In our case, however, we don't find the 'food upscale', but less than we expect...in fact, the MDR menu is preferred on some occasions.  One poster quoted a server as saying "Luminae is all about presentation" to which we agree.  If there are cutbacks to the MDR and other dining venue menus, it also shows on the L menu...only a few options, not necessarily of the quality enjoyed in 'upscale' restaurants, does not make fine dining.

Totally agree. I’ve been reviewing the Luminae menu for an upcoming 10 day cruise on Edge in February and I can tell there are 4-5 nights when I see nothing appealing at Luminae for dinner. I’ve already booked reservations in one each of the MDR’s on those nights as a backup. It’s a shame that I’m paying suite prices and not getting the entire experience, but it’s better than being disappointed by not liking a meal.

7 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Totally agree. I’ve been reviewing the Luminae menu for an upcoming 10 day cruise on Edge in February and I can tell there are 4-5 nights when I see nothing appealing at Luminae for dinner. I’ve already booked reservations in one each of the MDR’s on those nights as a backup. It’s a shame that I’m paying suite prices and not getting the entire experience, but it’s better than being disappointed by not liking a meal.

The Luminae menus I am seeing in the app are the same menus that we had for the past year, unless I’m missing some changes.  

Like you there are 4 or 5 night where the menu is lacking.  I can’t eat fish or seafood so some nights we just go to the MDR or book as specialty.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The Luminae menus I am seeing in the app are the same menus that we had for the past year, unless I’m missing some changes.

I agree but there have been some subtle changes. like the first night fillet steak is gone and replaced by a grilled sirloin steak and the 4oz fillet on the kid's menu is and subs with a sirloin steak. I guess X saves a few dollars with this change. Celebrity needs to change out their Luminae menus, they have been the same since pre covid except for the few subtle changes.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Now this is what I consider tacky on a cruise ship.

Amazon.com: Tacky Tourist Costume Adult: Clothing

Nice to see you again keep well, but I much preferred the pink shorts you wore on the Reflection. (Only kidding) 😂😂😂I love your humour.

I was about to book a Celebrity Cruise tomorrow (Scandinavia on Silhoutte) on the back of the current UK pricing deal but have just seem this thread. When my wife and I cruise on any line we rely on the buffet for lunch and dinner mainly because of the vegetarian options (which are always limited in any MDR).

Is the gist of what is being proposed that the buffet will be curtailed to one service station and vastly reduced offerings at dinner?

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Perfect, another example of Modern Luxury.  A Take-Out window at the MDR entrance.

Obviously it would never happen, but I wouldn't mind it and then go and eat on the Magic Carpet one or two nights I don't feel like a sit down meal.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steveso said:

I was about to book a Celebrity Cruise tomorrow (Scandinavia on Silhoutte) on the back of the current UK pricing deal but have just seem this thread. When my wife and I cruise on any line we rely on the buffet for lunch and dinner mainly because of the vegetarian options (which are always limited in any MDR).

Is the gist of what is being proposed that the buffet will be curtailed to one service station and vastly reduced offerings at dinner?

That is correct.

19 minutes ago, swigso said:

Nice to see you again keep well, but I much preferred the pink shorts you wore on the Reflection. (Only kidding) 😂😂😂I love your humour.

I didn't think anyone saw me in those pink shorts, but they were nice and comfortable in Luminae on Chic night, LMAO.😂 The Luminae manage even wanted them because he asked me to remove the shorts, LOL

My wife and I had a great cruise on the Reflection and then a not so good one following on the HAL Oosterdam, we both got Covid and spent last 5 days on the ship and then 3 days in Venice in isolation. 

Edited by terrydtx

45 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

This is one of the reasons I prefer M-class to E-class ships.