New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

18 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

I would argue, then, that they are going about preventing waste in the wrong manner.  If the goal is TRULY to cut back on food waste, then making catering pans full of lasagne and chicken parm and other cheap foods is not going to do it, but having multiple cook-to-order stations /will/ in fact, prevent food waste.

If the grill station is open, and they are only grilling to order, then there isn't a pan of already prepared meat sitting there with no one eating it - anything that isn't ordered goes back to the main fridge.  Ditto for the Asian stir-fry and Italian Pasta stations.  

Having a few cheaply-prepared items available in bulk doesn't prevent food waste.  My guess is that any explanation from the line that argues 'food waste' is disingenuous.  It's cost-cutting, pure and simple.  They should just come out and say it - 'we don't think you deserve the quality and choice you've previously received when you spend thousands of dollars on a holiday with us'.

Exactly 100% correct

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:51 AM, LMaxwell said:

Hint: "Do people really order more than 1 entree? I never have and have never seen or heard of that."

Yes, they do.  We have seen that plenty of times.  On our last cruise (TA from Rome to Tampa Oct/Nov 2022) a table of 8 sat next to us.  It was the Captain's dinner.  They all ordered the Lobster entree as an appetizer, and then all had the Filet Mignon.

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Stop complaining & the cruise line will continue to levy more & more chargess & changes  .  This is the only real tool the  pax have in their tool bag , 

No, the only real tool passengers have is to not book (or to cancel) if they are unhappy with the product.  As long as the cutbacks and changes don't affect passenger spending on fares and on board, they don't have an incentive to reverse them.  They are just like any other business out there and focused on their bottom line.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, prmssk said:

No, the only real tool passengers have is to not book (or to cancel) if they are unhappy with the product.  As long as the cutbacks and changes don't affect passenger spending on fares and on board, they don't have an incentive to reverse them.  They are just like any other business out there and focused on their bottom line.

True, but the problem is what are the options if you love cruising??  Luxury lines? Can't afford them and due to sea sickness concerns don't like smaller ships. Other major lines? They are making the same cuts and already the majority were a step down and/or filled with kiddos.  All inclusive resorts? Been there; done that and don't like them. The cruise lines know most of us are hooked and won't leave regardless of how unhappy we are with the changes. And with the extreme cancellation charges and timeframes those of us with many cruises already paid for are stuck.  I am not ready to drop Celebrity but I am not happy with them now. I have already decided to book fewer cruises with them next year, but have many already paid for this year. It's not ethical to advertise one thing, get your money,  then up the costs. But I have no real choice with the paid ones, not to mention losing deposit money for the other upcoming ones.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I admire the fact that the lady in the exec office that makes these calls can read off her script without too much deviation and listen to aggrieved cruisers that she is powerless to make any meaningful change for.  Sounds like a miserable job to have honestly. 

Speaking from experience in a very large corporation within the exec. office, and if X operates similarly,  there is more than 'one' lady or person handling these contacts.  The calls to the executive office are redirected to another pertinent department (manager?) for action.  They react very quickly when being contacted by the President's Office.  I've had reason to reach out to them and each time had a response from a different, kind lady by phone or email with almost instant satisfaction, follow up, or resolve.  This issue is becoming more paramount than my requests for satisfaction.  I would think there will now be a pat answer until they come up with a unified decision as it's nothing that can be resolved individually but involves policy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cluso said:

Yes, they do.  We have seen that plenty of times.  On our last cruise (TA from Rome to Tampa Oct/Nov 2022) a table of 8 sat next to us.  It was the Captain's dinner.  They all ordered the Lobster entree as an appetizer, and then all had the Filet Mignon.

To be fair, the Lobster Tail Entree isn't very big and even in regular restaurants I often order a lobster tail on the side of my steak.

23 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

To be fair, the Lobster Tail Entree isn't very big and even in regular restaurants I often order a lobster tail on the side of my steak.

On our recent Solstice cruise the lobster tail was so small, the waiter brought my husband a second tail without him asking for it.  

Don't even get me started on the very small size of the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail.   😄

Edited by AnnaNicole
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

On our recent Solstice cruise the lobster tail was so small, the waiter brought my husband a second tail without him asking for it.  

Don't even get me started on the very small size of the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail.   😄

I usually order 2-3 of these tiny appetizers and one main. I only get the dessert when they have the  Cherry Jubilee or the Baked Alaska, otherwise I see that I get out of there and have something small at Cafe Al Baccio.

• Like 1

Hi guys.  My charter cruise that's scheduled to sail in late February on the Summit finally connected to Celebrity and I'm able to look at it on my app.  It does show the $9.95+18% room service charge for the plebs and Aqua Class. RS for Retreat guests remains free.

Screenshot_20230111-095516.thumb.png.fe59d7d927c1238b9303860964e8b467.png

19 hours ago, eroller said:

It's impressive they called you.  That is a very positive sign.

It's both positive and negative. Positive that they're responding at all. Negative in that they aren't acknowledging anything in writing.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

True, but the problem is what are the options if you love cruising??  Luxury lines? Can't afford them and due to sea sickness concerns don't like smaller ships. Other major lines? They are making the same cuts and already the majority were a step down and/or filled with kiddos.  All inclusive resorts? Been there; done that and don't like them. The cruise lines know most of us are hooked and won't leave regardless of how unhappy we are with the changes. And with the extreme cancellation charges and timeframes those of us with many cruises already paid for are stuck.  I am not ready to drop Celebrity but I am not happy with them now. I have already decided to book fewer cruises with them next year, but have many already paid for this year. It's not ethical to advertise one thing, get your money,  then up the costs. But I have no real choice with the paid ones, not to mention losing deposit money for the other upcoming ones.

That's where we as passengers are making a choice.  Is cruising more important than refusing to patronize a business making these cuts?  I'm with you.  I love cruising, land vacations (although fun) aren't a substitute for cruising for me, and I'm not ready or able to step up to luxury lines.  But I never have been nor will I ever be truly loyal to Celebrity.  Celebrity may be one of my favorites but other lines do have things to offer as well even with the cuts they are making.  I'm not canceling my upcoming Celebrity cruises (they are still definitely cruises I want to take) but I'm also booking cruises with other lines.  I'm very excited to try MSC's Yacht Club.  And I had a surprisingly good experience with NCL (on their newest ship) last month.

And whether what the Celebrity are doing is ethical or not, it unfortunately is not uncommon.  I'm seeing the same issue in the tourism industry on land, other cruise lines, and even in my every day life.  My apartment management is not currently living up to what they promised when I started renting from them four years ago.  Although in all those cases, it's not the essential product that they are cutting.  It's lots of small cuts here and there (which I agree do start to add up to something bigger).

28 minutes ago, prmssk said:

That's where we as passengers are making a choice.  Is cruising more important than refusing to patronize a business making these cuts?  I'm with you.  I love cruising, land vacations (although fun) aren't a substitute for cruising for me, and I'm not ready or able to step up to luxury lines.  But I never have been nor will I ever be truly loyal to Celebrity.  Celebrity may be one of my favorites but other lines do have things to offer as well even with the cuts they are making.  I'm not canceling my upcoming Celebrity cruises (they are still definitely cruises I want to take) but I'm also booking cruises with other lines.  I'm very excited to try MSC's Yacht Club.  And I had a surprisingly good experience with NCL (on their newest ship) last month.

And whether what the Celebrity are doing is ethical or not, it unfortunately is not uncommon.  I'm seeing the same issue in the tourism industry on land, other cruise lines, and even in my every day life.  My apartment management is not currently living up to what they promised when I started renting from them four years ago.  Although in all those cases, it's not the essential product that they are cutting.  It's lots of small cuts here and there (which I agree do start to add up to something bigger).

It's lots of small cuts here and there (which I agree do start to add up to something bigger). This!  Especially it seems if one is not in the Retreat or an upper suite.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I would think there will now be a pat answer until they come up with a unified decision as it's nothing that can be resolved individually but involves policy. 

That reminds me re : " a pat answer".

Dear Pinboy:

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention regarding the inconvenience you experienced at dinner 4 nights ago . 

As you know, we at Celebrity do everything possible for the enjoyment of our Guests and do apologize that your Waiter forgot to bring your 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer a $3000 refund or Future Cruise Credit as a "good will " gesture as requested.

However , kindly enjoy our " Exclusive to Celebrity " chocolate covered strawberries and bottle of wine.

Yours truly,

XYZ

Jr Trainee Guest Relations

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I admire the fact that the lady in the exec office that makes these calls can read off her script without too much deviation and listen to aggrieved cruisers that she is powerless to make any meaningful change for.  Sounds like a miserable job to have honestly. 

She must be very skilled and patience.  I imagine some of the callers from our CC forum are very rude sometimes.  Others not at all.  Very smart of Celebrity IMO.  It is important the people know that at least their complaints are being heard.  Change is hard.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You should have been given some cheese to go with your whine. 😉

LOL--- What , Who, ---ME " whine " ??

Pinboy didn't " whine " --- Holy cow, I waited a few days before bringing it to the " attention " -------of a Jr Trainee at GR ---at 4 am---- incase I got stuck behind 6 people in line removing their gratuities. 

And besides, the $ 3000 " goodwill gesture " was only a " suggestion ", oops, request---

If I wasn't so greedy, I'm sure they would have offered an extra 5% off a $ 400 photo package--- not including a photo with the Captain, or , in keeping with the title of this thread, 2 complimentary Room Service deliveries.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, prmssk said:

As a "final" measure you are no doubt right, but organizations are also aware that when there is a large amount of pushback around unpopular actions, they are one step away from losing those passengers. Some will leave now or at a minimum book fewer cruises with X in future. Some will continue to sail with X but with an underlying discontent or chip on the shoulder that will push them off the raft when the next big wave comes along.

And of course there is also the "and they tell two friends" factor. People are not going to hear the glowing reports from others after their cruises that would have made them "X-curious" if not "X-convinced".

For a non-suite average cruiser, X hit a sweet spot for me since the restart. Now, as far as I am concerned there is no compelling reason to give them an edge in considering which line to book. In fact, one NEGATIVE for me has been Celebrity's extreme catering to suite guests.  With no "great food and service" argument to set against that, Celebrity will sink a notch or two for me.

No -- I think feedback is a valuable tool. As consumers, we have a right and a responsibility to speak up when our expectations aren't met. Smart companies figure out how to address those issues -- it doesn't always mean going back to the previous status quo, but they can certainly be responsive in some ways.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think this gives people an opportunity to explore new and/or different cruise lines. Are they all devaluing services, sure to some degree. But HOW are they doing it? I think that matters (or at least it does to me). Are they sending out letters and asking you to give them a chance with the changes? Or are they sneaking them in without any notice to customers who booked weeks, months, or years in advance? With X, we specifically paid a premium above the rates for Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, MSC, etc to enjoy the benefits of not being nickeled and dimed onboard, and room service (booked concierge to get expanded breakfast) was one of the considerations (as we booked several all-day X excursions on our upcoming port-intensive cruise in Europe and need the room service to get ready or afterwards where we'd be tired or miss main dining hours). I think a little notice with a small token (maybe something as simple as one waived room service charge to try the new premium breakfast, or free $10 OBC, or whatever) for the customers that booked in 2022 or earlier would have done wonders for good will. Instead, we got nothing...radio silence so you can learn about new charges and fees on the internet or (worse yet) be surprised when you board. 

So now IF you are going to be nickeled and dimed ANYWAY on X, why not sail for cheaper on other lines? I think with already booked cruises, you just make the best of it. Will this impact anyone to the point of paying hundreds of dollars to cancel? Of course not, but I think it leaves open the opportunity to explore other options with cruise lines that maybe you didn't consider before for future cruises.

Edited by BazingAu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1