New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

1 hour ago, Dave Simpson said:

Are you allowed / encouraged to pop into OVC and grab breakfast / coffee to eat on veranda. 

Do they have trays to use?   

Seems like a no brainer.  pay $11 and wait for probably cold food or run up yourself and get what you want.

Trays have been gone for years.

We prefer to get our own early morning (time varies) coffee and pastries rather than book room service or bother the butler so the 'spill the coffee ON ME' thing is a concern.  I take two of their large dinner plates...one for 2 coffees/cream and one for pastries.  Works quite well with no spill (yet).  I leave the cabin door ajar so I can get in easy with a little push. 

• Like 1

This doesn't have to do with room service, per se, but I bring along my Yeti 20 oz. tumbler with a handle and use it for coffee, tea, smoothies, or drinks.  Bartenders/baristas won't pour into it directly, though, so you have to do that part yourself.  Keeps a decent-sized pour hotter/colder longer.  Can hold an entire Al Bacio teapot which is my favorite on the balcony with a book.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

On Constellation now and confirming $9.95

41 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

Can u confirm if you can or can’t get dinner delivered (from the MDR selections) with that $10 fee.

i also wondered this.

I had a silly thought - if you CAN get a meal from the MDR then this becomes a new specialty restaurant.

"HAVE DINNER ON YOUR OWN PRIVATE BALCONY FOR ONLY $9.95 + service fee"

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:52 AM, Dave Simpson said:

Yep.  Simply bring a little tray and a coffee jug to fill up, and you can enjoy breakfast on the Vernada like the good old days.

My last two trips, on HAL and X, I ordered breakfast the first day with hot water. I stashed the tray and carafe where the steward would not find it and used it for the duration. 

• Like 4

I always bring a plastic tray on the bottom of my luggage, especially for carrying soups in the buffet and for minimizing trips and for eating outside somewhere if the buffet is too packed--there's a little nook by the lawn club on Solstice I went to a few times, or I went down to the Spa Cafe tables when it was closed. My other alternative to room service was ordering take-out rolls of sushi--I ordered a veggie roll last night and had it for breakfast this morning at 5:30 am, along with rolls and bread and fruit from the buffet. I got pretty miffed when I skipped the MDR one night but wanted a creme brûlée delivered to my room but was told it would be $10. I made sure to mention in my survey that the Princess ship I'll be on in a week delivers for free to wherever I'm at, at any time, so the petty price-gouging isn't going to get money from me, but will play a part in driving me to lines that don't charge for room service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rj59 said:

My other alternative to room service was ordering take-out rolls of sushi--I ordered a veggie roll last night and had it for breakfast this morning at 5:30 am, along with rolls and bread and fruit from the buffet. I got pretty miffed when I skipped the MDR one night but wanted a creme brûlée delivered to my room but was told it would be $10. I made sure to mention in my survey that the Princess ship I'll be on in a week delivers for free to wherever I'm at, at any time, so the petty price-gouging isn't going to get money from me, but will play a part in driving me to lines that don't charge for room service. 

Thank you!

And can I add that, if you have a drink package, that includes wine , a  mixed drink or a cappuccino  to your cabin!

Edited by chamima

Things change. I remember when I was younger flying in coach and receiving a full meal with real cutlery. Now, some airlines don't give you anything for free. I flew home 2 years ago from Sweden,  and we had to pay for bottled WATER! So, I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I still love cruising and it's not just about the room service. Hopefully they won't take away too much from the experience and then a cruise will only be transportation. 

On 1/12/2023 at 11:37 AM, Dave Simpson said:

This changed on our cruise as of Jan 2/23.  There was no charge when ordered, but the app displayed the new pricing. There was no communication, so I presume the "nickel and diming" was set to start with the next passengers. 18% is ridiculous with automatic gratuities, essentially paying 18% for poor service.  The same cash tip would give much better service. The all-inclusive package is downgraded by poor service.  Much better service if you tip a few bucks with every drink which should not be required.

With the gratuities, whether or not we like it does ensure everyone pays as I could imagine many do not.  I had the “pleasure” of someone charging three lattes to my cabin number (I’m elite+ so they’re free) on the last day and had to go to guest services around 6pm.  While in the guest relations line I could over her other pax and guest relations interactions and practice of folks removing the last evening of the sailing was alive and well

I heard Celebrity is thinking of running a test pilot program for room service.

if you receive room service and leave the tray in your cabin there’s no charge.

if you leave your half eaten gross tray outside your door you will be charged $59.95. It’s called a Raised By Wolves fee

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

if you leave your half eaten gross tray outside your door you will be charged $59.95. It’s called a Raised By Wolves fee

When I'm done eating my room service, I take the tray with all the dishes to the elevator, push level 1 and slide the tray in!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

I am always careful to slide the tray down a few doors so my neighbors look like the troglodyte and not me.  😁

• Haha 5

On 1/15/2023 at 11:53 AM, pisces223 said:

Things change. I remember when I was younger flying in coach and receiving a full meal with real cutlery. Now, some airlines don't give you anything for free. I flew home 2 years ago from Sweden,  and we had to pay for bottled WATER! So, I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I still love cruising and it's not just about the room service. Hopefully they won't take away too much from the experience and then a cruise will only be transportation. 

Celebrity has also slashed the evening buffet on Constellation as said in other posts.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:19 AM, SJ1_ said:

Reflection 1/22/23 is showing a charge of $4.95 between 11 pm and 5 am

no mention of any other charges

hopefully this is correct

The app only ever reflects the current cruise, until you board, then if you are lucky it may be accurate for your cruise.

8 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The app only ever reflects the current cruise, until you board, then if you are lucky it may be accurate for your cruise.

just checked the new $9.95 fee is now there.  we go next wk oh well thanks for the info!

• Thanks 1