Traditional Dining, will it ever return

antsp

16 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The last two cruises I was on had separate lines for those who were walking in and those with reservations. I think it’s common now. 

The sky seems to do it pretty well as they actually have signage for one side for reservations and the other side for no reservations. The Enchanted Princess doesn't have any signage saying it you just kind of have to figure it out.

I will say that it didn't seem to be such a struggle when there was only traditional dining.  Once you knew where your table was, you just waltzed on in and dinner was served.

Just look at all if the threads about dining reservations and the angst that accompanies trying to get a evening meal when you want it.

17 hours ago, ldtr said:

Even under the old TD system the same problem existed.  After all when Princess has most of the tables for 2 in the bench configuration it really does not matter what the scheduling system is. 

We never had a problem with TD on our 21 cruises with Princess before DMW was introduced.  Now tables are held by the DMW system based on the initial assignment even when the guests haven't requested same table/same time.  Under TD, the staff could make changes...now HAL from the film 2001 is in charge.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, mike&elena said:

We never had a problem with TD on our 21 cruises with Princess before DMW was introduced.  Now tables are held by the DMW system based on the initial assignment even when the guests haven't requested same table/same time.  Under TD, the staff could make changes...now HAL from the film 2001 is in charge.

I haven’t had that experience. Our reservation always seems to be for the time and dining room we book not changed to the same every night

I am curious, does anyone know how land-based restaurants handle reservations? I think they know they need a table for four people at 6:15, for example and so juggle tables that come free close to that time. Rather than assigning a specific table to a reservation. Earmarking specific tables for reservations seems very inefficient to me. I use this example because land-based restaurants do not have to contend with same reservation / same table every night. Now it could be that onboard at certain times they have enough free tables to handle specific tables and virtual TD might work at those times. Hard to see it working at peak times.

Obviously, crew like TD because they get more tips with TD.

4 hours ago, mike&elena said:

The problem was that fact that the majority of tables for two on Princess ships are in the side by side relatively close together format.  There are relatively few truly isolated tables for two.

8 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Traditional dining has been gone for over a year. There are no more set early and late seatings where you are assigned to a table and dining partners for your cruise.

It is possible for a party who know each other to reserve for the same time and MDR each evening with Dine My Way though.

If you book as part of a large group (booked through the group sales department) you can make special arrangement such as a block of tables for the group to dine together.

"IF" Traditional Dining returns ... and you book it ...

you are prohibited from using the anytime dining room for the cruise.

"Strict" dress code will be enforced, for the 'enjoyment' of others as to not offend them.

go for it - just not for us

7 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Wr prefer the anytime dining and the now readily available tables for 2. But there are definite improvements that could be made in the current process. One would be to manage the queues  better with distinct lines for reservations vs walkins. Another option,  separate dining rooms for traditional dining and anytime dining. But whatever you sign up for, you have to stay with. Otherwise you will get people in traditional dining at 6pm who think, "oh i want to eat at 7 tonight. i will just go to anytime dining instead"

On the 5 ships I have been on the lines have been pretty clear  - reservations to the left, walkups to the right with the mid-ship dining room.  Bigger problem with the stern dinning room.  Not enough space to line up effectively.

Lots of ways they could improve it.

One way would be to send the table number to the App such that those can then go directly to the table (you could have a check in kiosk to scan a medallion to confirm that you have arrived and using the table).

After first night allow those using the same table all week to go directly to the table as a consistent practice on all ships.

Not a small portion of the problem is that there is still a lot of confusion about the system with passengers, many of which are encountering it for the first time.  I have run into many that had no idea what the system was when they showed up on board, some thought that their TA would make reservations for them, etc.

Princess needs to make the process consistent across the fleet, and then provide clear instructions on how the system works.  Now that ships are getting back to capacity any flaws in the process snow ball quickly.

50 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Not a small portion of the problem is that there is still a lot of confusion about the system with passengers, many of which are encountering it for the first time.  I have run into many that had no idea what the system was when they showed up on board, some thought that their TA would make reservations for them, etc.

Princess needs to make the process consistent across the fleet, and then provide clear instructions on how the system works.  Now that ships are getting back to capacity any flaws in the process snowball quickly.

I am sure you are aware that this is absolutely NO consistency across the fleet.  It would be nice if they had a department that hired people who could write with some degree of proficiency.  (That's the teacher in me talking.)

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am sure you are aware that this is absolutely NO consistency across the fleet.  It would be nice if they had a department that hired people who could write with some degree of proficiency.  (That's the teacher in me talking.)

That is why I said that they really need to make the reservation and check in process consistent

1 hour ago, ldtr said:
2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I am curious, does anyone know how land-based restaurants handle reservations? I think they know they need a table for four people at 6:15, for example and so juggle tables that come free close to that time. Rather than assigning a specific table to a reservation. Earmarking specific tables for reservations seems very inefficient to me. I use this example because land-based restaurants do not have to contend with same reservation / same table every night. Now it could be that onboard at certain times they have enough free tables to handle specific tables and virtual TD might work at those times. Hard to see it working at peak times.

Obviously, crew like TD because they get more tips with TD.

I think restaurants do assign specific tables to parties at least sometimes. I see reserved signs on tables pretty frequently.  It's especially common in restaurants with desirable views or outdoor spaces, etc.  

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

On the 5 ships I have been on the lines have been pretty clear  - reservations to the left, walkups to the right with the mid-ship dining room.  Bigger problem with the stern dinning room.  Not enough space to line up effectively.

Lots of ways they could improve it.

One way would be to send the table number to the App such that those can then go directly to the table (you could have a check in kiosk to scan a medallion to confirm that you have arrived and using the table).

After first night allow those using the same table all week to go directly to the table as a consistent practice on all ships.

Princess needs to make the process consistent across the fleet, and then provide clear instructions on how the system works.  Now that ships are getting back to capacity any flaws in the process snow ball quickly.

The problem with going directly to a table is that there is always a chance that it is still occupied or hasn't been cleared.  I think staff want to be sure that tables are ready before people approach them.  It would work great for people who want to eat when the MDR first opens though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The problem with going directly to a table is that there is always a chance that it is still occupied or hasn't been cleared.  I think staff want to be sure that tables are ready before people approach them.  It would work great for people who want to eat when the MDR first opens though.

A table would have to be available before the number could be sent.  For those that eat early (from 5 until 6) there would be no previous diners.  That would take care of the fairly massive early line that forms.  During later periods there is a line for check in, but usually not that long of one.  

You could also send it once the table is available.  (kind of combine the reservation system with a your table is ready pager).  

7 minutes ago, ldtr said:

A table would have to be available before the number could be sent.  For those that eat early (from 5 until 6) there would be no previous diners.  That would take care of the fairly massive early line that forms.  During later periods there is a line for check in, but usually not that long of one.  

You could also send it once the table is available.  (kind of combine the reservation system with a your table is ready pager).  

That’s a function way too advanced for Princess’ IT department. 

And yes, I was 100% agreeing with your no consistency statement.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That’s a function way too advanced for Princess’ IT department

The funny thing is that's exactly how Carnival's Anytime Dining works.  Provided you don't have a special request (e.g. table or waiter), you check in for dinner on the app and get a message when your table is ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:42 PM, coo359a2 said:

We spent Oct and November (b2b2b) on the Regal Princess.  Had selected 5:40 dining time on the app for all segments.  After the first night   the Host/Head Waiter for that dining room marked us down for the same table/servers for the full 43 days.   After the first night, we just walked straight to our table without standing in the "Reservation" line.   We did let them know if we went to the Crown Grill but they said they could see when we had dining reservations elsewhere.  The Host also checked with us a few days before the start of each segment to be sure we wanted the same table.  

This was our experience as well.  From our Regal experience and reading about sone of the other ships, I think Regal is pretty much leading the way in terms of working it out to deliver the TD experience to those seeking it.  I have applauded their efforts and I would bet it is due to Nicola Furlan leadership that established the foundation to do it, along with some skilled and committed sr staff.

That said, we did get similar situation on Island in Nov, but it took a little more nudging.

10 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

The funny thing is that's exactly how Carnival's Anytime Dining works.  Provided you don't have a special request (e.g. table or waiter), you check in for dinner on the app and get a message when your table is ready.

I love that about Carnival!

On 1/3/2023 at 2:05 PM, chabad said:

😂🤣😂 Not going to lie, but I'm already fast asleep by 8:30 p.m. each evening

I end this with as Ben Franklin once said...."Early to bed, early to wise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

My Dad used to say to me that if I wasn't in bed by 10 pm then I should come back home!😉

Edited by Esprit
  • Haha 3