Vancouver to Seward, AK. Port or Starboard

hey-buc

Even though we live in Alaska we have done a number of Alaska itineraries.  We''ve even done B2B Seward to Vancouver and back, in addition to boarding in Vancouver, having the turnaround day in Seward and returning to Vancouver.  I really don't think it matters regarding which side the stateroom is located.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Even though we live in Alaska we have done a number of Alaska itineraries.  We''ve even done B2B Seward to Vancouver and back, in addition to boarding in Vancouver, having the turnaround day in Seward and returning to Vancouver.  I really don't think it matters regarding which side the stateroom is located.

Thank you

On 1/3/2023 at 1:21 PM, Northern Aurora said:

While I don't live in Alaska - I have done B2B also and I don't think it matters either.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, islandchick said:

I think it matters. If you look at the itinerary map you will see that there is quite a large section that has only land to the right and ocean out to the left. I prefer to see the scenery . Starboard Vancouver to Seward, Port Seward to Vancouver.

Except much of that will be sailed at night...

On 1/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Asked and answered here dozens of times. It doesn't really matter.

I think that this makes sense.  

The only reason it would matter is if you could see something from your room on one side that you would not be able to do from the other side.  Cruise ships sail through some surprisingly narrow straights, and thus, you should see the shore on both sides of the ship. In cases where the ship has shore only on one side, say between Cross Sound and Seward, the ship is so far away from the shore that you won't see it anyway.

But if you want to see the sunrise or sunset, you'd prefer the eastern or western side respectively.  However, you are going to go through the itinerary and calculate the ship’s heading and the sun’s azimuth to ensure that it will make sense.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, islandchick said:

I think it matters. If you look at the itinerary map you will see that there is quite a large section that has only land to the right and ocean out to the left. I prefer to see the scenery . Starboard Vancouver to Seward, Port Seward to Vancouver.

I spent 2 seasons cruising out of Vancouver to Alaska and I can assure you it does NOT matter. When outside the narrow channels you are so far off the coast that mostly all you see is tops of mountains and also much of it is at night.

Since I worked on the Bridge, I saw all the scenery on both sides and knew how far offshore we were.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I spent 2 seasons cruising out of Vancouver to Alaska and I can assure you it does NOT matter. When outside the narrow channels you are so far off the coast that mostly all you see is tops of mountains and also much of it is at night.

Since I worked on the Bridge, I saw all the scenery on both sides and knew how far offshore we were.

I completely agree! And you were sailing every day in Alaska for 2 seasons!

Unless you have a job function giving you that coveted viewing seat on the bridge -

even then your viewing will be occupied by job functions.

The cruise lines cruise well out to sea except for the Inside Passage between Vancouver

Island and the mainland - modest binoculars or telephoto opportunities with a camera

or cell phone are not even going to see the waves crashing ashore on distant rocks.

Only leaving or arriving at ports are viewing points close enough to take a photo of and

and passing glance.

At those times most apt to be wondering how crowded the gangway will be - what the

weather is forecasted - will my shore excursion be waiting (a long or short walk).

The time of the day (night) in passing viewing points will you be available to be up and

ready seeing them or occupied with something else.

Will someone (crew) be able to provide input to those viewable points - maybe

announcements.

Too many details to manage -

Your balcony cabin faces in one direction - to see the otherside you are going to

have leave it and find a point to see what is missing - perhaps topside - a Promenade

deck walkway - or inside sheltered lounge.

While doing all this searching for that - what was once in view may have passed

or been missed.

Remember there is "NO" video replay - redo - do-over - MAKE THE MOST OF IT !

{B2B cruise exceptions ?}

One thing to note when you first board your ship after attending to dining show and

shore excursions - take a tour finding out where the best photo opt spots might be.

Plan a course of how to get there quickly so as not to miss what you seek !

After reading this and you blinked an eye -

What did you miss ?

What could you have seen ?

Traveling solo - you can only cover one side/base with a partner you can do more 

and then share.

Choices to be made - choose carefully ! 

One very small consideration would be if cruising Glacier Bay you’ll travel up the right side of the bay. Being on the starboard side allows for decent viewing along the shore/cliffs from your cabin. There are many times mountain goats along the way primarily at Gloomy Knob. The better solution is just being on deck though as you end up missing whatever was on the other side of the ship by staying in the cabin.

9 hours ago, Glaciers said:

One very small consideration would be if cruising Glacier Bay you’ll travel up the right side of the bay. Being on the starboard side allows for decent viewing along the shore/cliffs from your cabin. There are many times mountain goats along the way primarily at Gloomy Knob. The better solution is just being on deck though as you end up missing whatever was on the other side of the ship by staying in the cabin.

I agree about being on deck. I have never stayed in my cabin on glacier days - best to be able to move around and go from side to side.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coral said:

I agree about being on deck. I have never stayed in my cabin on glacier days - best to be able to move around and go from side to side.

Totally agree, as I'm always out on Deck when visiting the glaciers.

• Like 1