$10 penalty for dining room no-shows????

cruisestitch

I just saw this in another thread. I haven’t seen it mentioned before. Has anyone gotten this message? Does it refer only to select dining no-shows or for fixed dining no-shows or is it a total mistake? What is going on?

I assume that the poster meant that they had not encountered this on previous cruises.

EC932D9C-C3B3-45E6-9FA3-DBE8A907B3EC.png

Edited by cruisestitch

Follow up.  I just went to an upcoming reservation for which I have select dining, and it now has a checkbox for accepting the terms and conditions. I looked at the terms and conditions and this is what is there. I don’t remember ever seen such a thing before for select dining

073DE307-E200-4F81-8E33-645CA4A45130.png

Edited by cruisestitch

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

I just saw this in another thread. I haven’t seen it mentioned before. Has anyone gotten this message? Does it refer only to select dining no-shows or for fixed dining no-shows or is it a total mistake? What is going on?

I assume that the poster meant that they had not encountered this on previous cruises.

EC932D9C-C3B3-45E6-9FA3-DBE8A907B3EC.png

This is incorrect information based on what we experienced on our Apex cruise a few weeks ago.  We had select dining and had booked dinner reservations every night.  The last two nights we ended up skipping the MDR and went to the buffet.  We did not receive the $10 charge as indicated in the confirmation page.  It's possible they would charge this for specialty dining reservations (and then refund the cover charge as OBC), which is why it's shown when making MDR reservations.

• Thanks 2

When I booked our Select dining reservations a couple months ago for our upcoming cruise, this same verbiage was in the terms and conditions so it is not brand new language.  At the time (a couple months ago), there was discussion in some group I am in (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) and people's experience was that they were not charging this fee for no shows in the MDR.  That doesn't mean they won't in the future though.  As a courtesy, I think it is always good to let them know if you don't plan to make a reservation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Every change we've noticed in 2023 seems to have the goal of getting you to have dinner in the MDR at a specific time...lol

1)  New room service fee

2)  Rumored scaled down offerings at the buffet during dinner

3)  Possible MDR cancelation fee

• Like 1

I saw that a couple months ago...Nov 7th to be precise, when I made reservations for the Apex for a March 2024 cruise. There have been some posts about it but I don't remember if there was a thread started for it...

What *is* different from what I saw is the addition of the check box. That certainly wasn't there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I saw that a couple months ago...Nov 7th to be precise, when I made reservations for the Apex for a March 2024 cruise. There have been some posts about it but I don't remember if there was a thread started for it...

What *is* different from what I saw is the addition of the check box. That certainly wasn't there.

I'm pretty sure there was a box I checked agreeing to terms and conditions when I made my select dining reservations several months ago (and the mention of the $10 cancellation fee was in those terms and conditions at that time).  I'm not sure this is new.

I'm OK with this IF it is only for the Specialty restaurants.  In fact I think it is a good idea and I wish they would enforce it.

fwiw many restaurants in urban areas are already requiring deposits when making reservations.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I'm pretty sure there was a box I checked agreeing to terms and conditions when I made my select dining reservations several months ago (and the mention of the $10 cancellation fee was in those terms and conditions at that time).  I'm not sure this is new.

Well, all I can say is I'm sure there was no box for me...I made 7 reservations in row.

*OR*  I had a very senior moment...which is always a possibility...

ETA: BTW, the reservations were for Select dining...

Edited by dlh015

Good on them. Make a reservation and don't show, pay a fee. Why hold a table for someone who isn't coming while there are people in line waiting for a spot? I think they should also add a time limit - maybe 15 minutes before you are considered a no-show.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

If it is only for specialty dining, then why is it listed under the select dining reservations?

And you could ask yourself if it is for select dining, then why does the second paragraph refer to “Cover Charges”.   Since specialty dining is the only dining that has a cover charge.   Seems that whether a guest interprets the condition as applying to main dining or specialty dining ,depends on which paragraph they  put weight on

Edited by retird

On 1/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Every change we've noticed in 2023 seems to have the goal of getting you to have dinner in the MDR at a specific time...lol

1)  New room service fee

2)  Rumored scaled down offerings at the buffet during dinner

3)  Possible MDR cancelation fee

There's a fee for room service now?? Is room service breakfast free still or is that a charge, too?

50 minutes ago, whee-sailing said:

There's a fee for room service now?? Is room service breakfast free still or is that a charge, too?

Maybe we should call Celebrity the Nickle and Dime cruise line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whee-sailing said:

Continental breakfast is still free and there's still no charge for suites.  For everyone else, it seems there is (or will be soon) a $9.95 charge + 18% gratuity for RS.  This was discussed ad nauseam in this thread:

• Thanks 1