Harmony of the Seas, Pool “Waterfall”

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am wondering if the Captain felt the need to turn so quickly and if he had to ask headquarters.

I would think the fuel consumption would greatly increase as well as harming people and things.

Since there are no reports of massive breakage or any injuries, I'm assuming that the ship slowed before turning, and also did not perform a "hard over" (full helm) turn, but a pool that high up the ship would experience a whole lot of free surface effect, creating a "tidal wave" from the pool.  Any 180* turn, even at 10 or 12 knots would cause the pool to overflow.  No, the Captain would not require permission, as ISM grants him/her "overriding authority" to make decisions regarding safety.  Fuel consumption is not really a factor, the time frame is too short to make any appreciable difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Don't forget a roll of quarters.. ..  a strategy us cheap tippers use.

LOL, I may bring quarters but it won't be to tip.  They're for a game, and adult beverage game!  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I hope the chlorinated water from the pool did not do any damage to the live plants. 

I´m pretty sure the gardeners were not happy about this. I remember on the first cruises of the Harmony the slides were leaking and we talked to Laszlo (who did all the Centrals Parks on the Oasis Class ships) and he definitely wasn´t happy about the water from the pool area which was causing his plants to die.

steamboats

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, I may bring quarters but it won't be to tip.  They're for a game, and adult beverage game!  

That brings back so many memories from my time in service.  

I guess "quarters" are too hard for kids these days, they have resorted to using ping pong balls instead of quarters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am guessing that none of you remembers my accounts of The List on my first Princess cruise, on the Crown Princess, in 2006.  😮 

Unfortunately I do not.  That was prior to my introduction to cruising. 

21 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

According to someone currently on the Harmony, it was a sudden 180 degree turn to check out a small raft.

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While this is true for most vessels, with a passenger ship, the typical man overboard procedure is to slow the ship down and then turn.  A sharp, full helm turn at speed causes a lot of "turn induced heeling", which has been known to damage things on the ship (anything not bolted down) and cause significant injuries to guests.  And, with today's ECDIS navigation systems, the need to keep a man overboard in sight is no longer as important.  The navigation officer can poke a button on the ECDIS (electronic chart display) to mark the position at the time the sighting was made, and then the ship can return to that spot exactly, without the need for a sharp Williamson type turn.

Sound s like a very erractic maneuver by the Captain, hope he thinks twice about pulling that again when he could have injured 100's of passengers onboard  his ship for a small raft that may or may not have passengers on it.

Don't think safely slowing down and making the turn back safely would have costed any additional lives on the small raft.

I'm sure the Captain is hearing about this from his superiors.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm sure the Captain is hearing about this from his superiors.

If his decision was within the policies and procedures of RCI's ISM Code (International Safety Management), then the Captain has "overriding authority" by international law to make decisions regarding safety of the ship, passengers, crew, and environment.  This means that no one, regardless of place in the corporate ladder has the authority to question his decision, and if his decision was according to the ISM, no discipline would be given.  If the company feels that the procedure needs revision in light of this incident, they will revise the ISM.  ISM uses the more progressive "root cause" analysis basis of incident investigation, not the regressive "blame culture".

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am guessing that none of you remembers my accounts of The List on my first Princess cruise, on the Crown Princess, in 2006.  😮 

There was also the Grand Princess list in February of 2006 from Galveston. Sounds like it wasn’t a good year for Princess that year. 😀

On 1/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, LindaD22 said:

Apparently, the pool on Harmony has massively overflowed, causing a waterfall and slight flooding. Reports vary as to cause, either because of hitting a massive wave or due to an evasive maneuver to avoid hitting a raft. Crazy!

01CC6886-EB61-44E0-9DF1-D0BE2F70DE23.jpeg

Was anyone underneath and got socked?

BTW, it´s definitely not the first "waterfall". On the Norwegian Prima they forgot to lower the water in The Haven infinity pool when we departed Cobh on the inagural cruise. There´s a sharp bend when leaving the port and the pool water went over The Haven sundeck and down to the Oceanwalk on deck 8. The people looking down were standing in ankle high water. I only catched the end of the waterfall.

steamboats

NCLPrima-2022IMG_20220830_171845.jpg

SO is an evasive manoeuver like this really worth all the injury (or potentially worse) and damage on board it could cause?  To say nothing of people potentially getting knocked or swept off their balconies ... or getting knocked off an upper deck by flying furniture or other people?

This seemed pretty irresponsible and stupid of whoever ordered it ... regardless what they thought was in the water.    There's gonna be a lotta 'splaining to do, i'd think. 

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Has there been an official explanation, yet?

I found this:

Speaking to Newsweek, a spokesperson for the Royal Caribbean mentioned that on 3 January, Harmony of the Seas reportedly saw a raft at sea and then manoeuvred to offer assistance. This manoeuvre caused the water from the pool deck to go over into the vessel’s lower deck unexpectedly.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, chengkp75 said:

If his decision was within the policies and procedures of RCI's ISM Code (International Safety Management), then the Captain has "overriding authority" by international law to make decisions regarding safety of the ship, passengers, crew, and environment.  This means that no one, regardless of place in the corporate ladder has the authority to question his decision, and if his decision was according to the ISM, no discipline would be given.  If the company feels that the procedure needs revision in light of this incident, they will revise the ISM.  ISM uses the more progressive "root cause" analysis basis of incident investigation, not the regressive "blame culture".

Chief, what are the odds the captain was actually on duty at that time.  I would think less than 50/50… but I have zero actual knowledge, just know that during routine times the captain is often out doing PR and not driving the ship.