Old HAL vs New HAL....or just HAL evolving

CNSJ

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Change is often fine.  But when change means constantly downgrading the product it is not fine.

Hank

Exactly and except for the service HAL has downgraded many facets on their ships and even the service has been cut back with only once a day cabin service. For now we are taking our business elsewhere.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

We're a family of 4; parents in their 40's with two kids entering their teenage years. Personally, I absolutely loved sailing on HAL's Pinnacle class (Nieuw Statendam). I think it perfectly ties the old and the new, paving the way for a younger generation of cruisers who have an appreciation for a more traditional cruise experience but with some modern touches. I think that HAL got it right with this class of ship and what they're trying to accomplish with it. 

Some would argue that teenage kids would be happier sailing on a big, Royal Caribbean or Carnival ship with waterslides, rollercoasters, zip lines, etc. Yet, my kids say that our cruise on the Nieuw Statendam still ranks as one of their favorite. And my wife agrees. She says that every cruise should be like that one. It was just perfect for our needs. 

We may have been outside of HAL's target demographics a decade or two ago, but it feels like now, we're exactly who they are aiming for with their newest ships and product. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 11

20 minutes ago, Tapi said:

We may have been outside of HAL's target demographics a decade or two ago, but it feels like now, we're exactly who they are aiming for with their newest ships and product. 

Totally agree. I just turned 40 last month and whilst I’ve been an HAL fan since my first trip with them in my early 30s, I feel like they really nailed it with the newest ships. Rotterdam is a stunning ship that kept many elements of tradition (including nods to the Dutch roots like Dutch Cafe) whilst updating decor from the dark and heavy feeling of their older ships. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bostonjetset said:

whilst updating decor from the dark and heavy feeling of their older ships. 

That's were some opinions differ. The last Prinsendam was a very small ship with beautiful teak interior that some would say was dark and heavy feeling. But we would much rather sail like the old ocean liners to great destinations than feel like we are just at home in a bar or hotel. Rotterdam does have some interesting art which does appear bright and updated, but doesn't feel like a cruise ship. HAL will never appeal to everyone, but they do have the opportunity (with various ships) to appeal to different desires. We just hope they don't lose their traditional cruising after celebrating 150 years, and move too mainstream. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Exactly and except for the service HAL has downgraded many facets on their ships and even the service has been cut back with only once a day cabin service. For now we are taking our business elsewhere.

Not true. You can request two services per day, and they will honor your request.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We were on the NA for the month of Nov 2022 and had twice a day cabin service - no problem.

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m not talking about appetizers.  Yes there have been many of them.  I have not seem any complaints about not being able to get two entrees.  The op specifically stated people complaining about not being able to  get two entrees.  Could you provide a link please if you’ve seen the complaint about two entrees? That said, I don’t think most people have paid thousands to eat at a restaurant per person.  I don’t see the relevance.  I certainly would not expect to get 2 steaks in the pinnacle.

but 2 steaks in the MDR is ok?    which will increase the cost of a cruise over time - so the people that want/need 2 entrees should pay for them IMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

That's were some opinions differ. The last Prinsendam was a very small ship with beautiful teak interior that some would say was dark and heavy feeling. But we would much rather sail like the old ocean liners to great destinations than feel like we are just at home in a bar or hotel. Rotterdam does have some interesting art which does appear bright and updated, but doesn't feel like a cruise ship. HAL will never appeal to everyone, but they do have the opportunity (with various ships) to appeal to different desires. We just hope they don't lose their traditional cruising after celebrating 150 years, and move too mainstream. 

I wish I had the chance to sail Prinsendam but alas it wasn’t meant to be 😞. And I also enjoy the ocean liner feel. QM2 is one of my favorite ships. My comment was mostly geared towards Zuiderdam which I found to be rather ugly inside. So much red and dark heavy decor. My husband said it felt like the 1970s haha. That said, we had a great cruise to the Baltics on her and ports are the primary reason for cruising for us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I wish I had the chance to sail Prinsendam but alas it wasn’t meant to be 😞. And I also enjoy the ocean liner feel. QM2 is one of my favorite ships. My comment was mostly geared towards Zuiderdam which I found to be rather ugly inside. So much red and dark heavy decor. My husband said it felt like the 1970s haha. That said, we had a great cruise to the Baltics on her and ports are the primary reason for cruising for us. 

Yes, I've thought the Zuiderdam was an ugly duckling from the day she was hatched/launched. 🤣  (Sailed on her in her inaugural season....)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, esimon said:

but 2 steaks in the MDR is ok?    which will increase the cost of a cruise over time - so the people that want/need 2 entrees should pay for them IMHO

The op spoke specifically about complaints from not bing able to order 2 steaks in the pinnacle not the mdr.  If 5 people order 2 steaks in the mdr and hal needs to raise prices to cover that they are in bigger trouble than I thought.  On my many, many cruises on hal I've never seen anyone order duplicate entrees. I must be always in the section where people don't eat much instead of the section where people are eating 5 or 6 lobsters and multiple steaks.  Either that or I'm not interested in whatever everyone else is doing.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

We first sailed with HAL in 2000 on the Maasdam. We loved it and went on to sail on Veendam, Maasdam (again) Prinsendam and Eurodam. We have not sailed on the new Pinnacle class. I think the biggest change that we have noticed over the years has been the downgrading of the menus. Lobster, Duck etc were regularly offered but on our last cruise we were offered Jerk Chicken or Rustic Lasagna. I realise that eating habits have changed over the last 20 years but there daily spend per head has obviously been substantially reduced.

We now cruise with Cunard who ( until now) do not seem to have gone down the same route.

4 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Rotterdam is a stunning ship that kept many elements of tradition (including nods to the Dutch roots like Dutch Cafe) whilst updating decor from the dark and heavy feeling of their older ships. 

I agree about the old decor. Our only other experience with HAL before Nieuw Statendam was on the Westerdam and I hated the dark and gloomy decor. In my humble opinion, it felt depressing. It was a reason why I didn't want to cruise on HAL again until the Pinnacle class was created. Nieuw Statendam was much brighter, airier and welcoming.  

• Like 1

We sailed on QM2 in PG in the last year. IMO it was better than ever. We were encouraged to order off menu and the food was amazing. The price point was similar to a Neptune Suite on HAL.  Although we have enjoyed cruises in the past with HAL, the current direction and offering  does not suit. Club orange doesn’t cut it for us and compared to Grills offering on Cunard, it is way behind.

I must stress that this only my opinion and I’m sure others won’t agree.

18 hours ago, CNSJ said:

The "exotic/unique" itineraries like Voyage of the Vikings tend to sell out quickly......

We wanted to try the Voyage of the Vikings the moment we heard about it, if that's any proof in the pudding.

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not true. You can request two services per day, and they will honor your request.

This was our experience on the Nieuw Statendam in November.  The steward indicated once per day but I told him we are aware we can have twice a day upon request.  He happily honored our request.  We tipped him and his assistant extra at the end of the cruise and they were very happy.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 12:34 PM, CNSJ said:

I (we) just reached 4 star Mariner on last cruise, so to many of you I am still a HAL newbie, but I thought I might comment on the non-stop bashing of Holland America.  Yes, things change over time.  Even in the short ten years we have been regular cruisers, I have seen change.  Some good, some not so good.  My DW and I just retired and are around 60. 

While little things like chocolates every night, slippers (most of us don't wear), and a well dressed man ringing dinner chimes may be important to many, I try to focus on the things that are most important (at least to me).  In these areas I think HAL has done very well, and continues to do well.  I try to keep in mind that the cruise industry just went through the once in a hundred years' shock with COVID.   I am confident that HAL does surveys and just just cut things willy nilly.  For those that complain about a charge for a second entree in the Pinnacle, I ask....What would your favorite restaurant at home do if you asked for two steaks?  Don't charge me more for my cruise because you want two appetizers and two nice steaks at dinner.  

To me, clean, safe ships with great service are the reasons I have sailed with HAL on 10 of my last 13 cruises.  I have sailed on R-class, Vista Class, Signature, Pinnacle Class.  Each has benefits over the others depending on what you are looking for.  I think Signature is the best overall due to the Promenade being more walkable. Otherwise Pinnacle class wins hands down. 

I'll focus on what's gotten better in the past ten years for a minute (at least in my opinion):

•       Much better Stateroom TV with on demand movies, interactive info, menus, and access to your account.
  •      Pinnacle class ships with many more dining options and better venues for music events.
  •      Room service still included for breakfast and most times (and you can order off MDR menu) - Celebrity and others charge for Room Service now all day. 
  •      The Navigator app - Love it or hate it... its better than not having an App
  •      A slightly younger passenger demographic is a good thing.  
  •      Great ship's officers that still interact with passengers.
  •      Hal is more eco-friendly (less plastic and paper) 
  •      Great itineraries continue (and 2024 looks great in this area)
  •      Onboard credit for shareholders and military/first responders
  •      Cruises are still a great value.  I was in South Florida recently and looked at my restaurant receipts for lousy meals, including the "mandatory 20% gratuities added to all checks...."   I was shocked to see what I was paying before and after cruise.

I want to focus again on CLEAN, SAFE ships and GREAT SERVICE.  We did two Royal Caribbean Cruises mixed in our first five HAL cruises - all on similar sized ships (Jewel of the Seas) to HALs ships.  Cruise prices for a Balcony Cabin are similar in most cases based on my review.  My DW would rather not cruise than go on Royal Caribbean again.   The passenger to public space areas on HAL always feels better. 

Just my two cents..... I am very Happy with HAL.  Nothing is perfect, but CLEAN, SAFE SHIPS with GREAT SERVICE is what matters to us. 

Keep Cruising.  See you out there in 2023!

Similar experiences, 4 Star, Used HAL for 8 of our 12 cruises.

However, feel Clean, Safe Ships, and Great Service is the threshold we should expect.

Of the 3 other lines we tried 2 met this threshold,1metonly two.

My wife and I keep coming back to HAL for multiple reason beside Clean, Safe Ships, and Great Service.

1 Ship size.

Large Ship.  Past the age were high intensity attractions on the big ships appeal to me, nor do I want to deal with the crowds

Small ship. Ship was beautiful and reaching smaller ports was a plus. Con was dining options and entertainment limited.

2.Itinerary

HAL seems to offer more options than the standard 7 day cruise everyone offers.  We like that you can string multiple segments together and make a longer cruise. 

3. Price

To me HAL has still meets the value-added price point. Somewhere between Luxury and Economy.

Am I always 100% happy with HAL no, but so far they have been the most responsive when I issues on a cruise.

To your question I believe is HAL is evolving. Only time will tell if they remain my preferred line, but for now I am happy enough with them to have 4 cruises booked over the next 2 years.

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

This was our experience on the Nieuw Statendam in November.  The steward indicated once per day but I told him we are aware we can have twice a day upon request.  He happily honored our request.  We tipped him and his assistant extra at the end of the cruise and they were very happy.

Same for us on both Eurodam and Rotterdam.  At start of the cruise our room steward asked if we preferred 1 or 2 services.

• Like 1