Are cruise prices insanely high right now?

bmarts

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I just went and priced a Disney cruise that is the same cabin class (suite), length and dates as an RC cruise I have booked in July.

RC price: $5,400

Disney price: $16,000

As far as quality of the room accommodations and overall ship service, A suite on RC:Kia.  A suite on Disney:BMW. 

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 1

As of this posting, the cheapest cruise out of PC available is 3 night Indy in October, $742.54 for an interior GTY. The majority of dates for the remainder of the year for the 3 and 4 nighters are north of $1,000 for a GTY interior.

I live in Orlando so those 3 nighters are a great weekend getaway. But once you add drink package and gratuities, you’re lucky to get an interior GTY for less than $1,500. I enjoy Royal but the product simply is not worth that amount to me. I guess it is for others. At that price, I might as well go on Virgin Voyages.

At the moment, I can book a 4-night all inclusive in Tulum, with private terrace and hot tub for less than $2,000 and that includes airfare. 

• Like 3

I keep seeing these posts about how outrageous cruise things cost right now.

Question, how much does a carton of eggs cost where you live? How much are 10 wings at the local sports pub?  How much is a gallon of gas?

When I look at these numbers then compare to cruise pricing, I see from my non-scientific research that cruise price increases are in line with the rest.

I'm just really curious, maybe there are parts of the country where some of you live where things are the exact same price as last year. But where I live, the grocery store wanted over $5 for a carton of eggs on Saturday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robmtx said:

Question, how much does a carton of eggs cost where you live? How much are 10 wings at the local sports pub?  How much is a gallon of gas?

When I look at these numbers then compare to cruise pricing, I see from my non-scientific research that cruise price increases are in line with the rest.

I'm just really curious, maybe there are parts of the country where some of you live where things are the exact same price as last year. But where I live, the grocery store wanted over $5 for a carton of eggs on Saturday. 

As it's a website talking about all things cruise related I'd say the posts about "how outrageous cruise things cost right now" are in the right spot.
I'm sure if we perused a website talking about all things chicken related we'd see complaints about wings and eggs. 😉
Prices are up, people complain. If it was any other way we'd be worried.

6 hours ago, toad455 said:

My annual cruise out of Bayonne in January is cheaper in 2024 then the one I'm heading out on on Friday.

Same here, booked an 11 nighter from Bayonne for $2700 , a std balcony for 2.  A little research can save a lot of money. 

• Like 1

I would pay inflated prices for a quality experience, but their service and food has fallen through the floor. After our 3 cruises in Q4 of 2022, I cancelled all future reservations which had refundable deposits. We will sail a couple that were booked under NRD, but I think they've outpriced themselves for the product they are currently providing. We sailed primarily Royal Caribbean for 23 years, but 2023 and 2024, we are doing more land vacations in the Caribbean and Europe. 

I may still do some sailings when deals are to be had, but I won't pay current prices for current quality. Its a shame. 

• Like 6

On 1/8/2023 at 10:46 AM, smokeybandit said:

I booked an 8-night cruise in summer 2024 in a GS for $3500 for 3. That's cheap.

I've got my eye on a 5-night cruise in fall 2023 in a GS that's quite cheap, too.

Deals are most certainly out there.

Which ship are you on for you 2024 cruise?  That sounds like a great deal. 

32 minutes ago, rjrpar said:

Same here, booked an 11 nighter from Bayonne for $2700 , a std balcony for 2.  A little research can save a lot of money. 

Great prices are still out there and IMO, always will be.  But if it's necessary to book a year or more in advance and have a particular cabin/location, ship, then options will be, as they always have, more expensive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Where is your annual cruise sailing to ?

It's the 11-day that is done in January. This year it's San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts & St. Lucia. 

For 2024 it's: Puerto Plata, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Kitts and St. Lucia.

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

I would pay inflated prices for a quality experience, but their service and food has fallen through the floor. After our 3 cruises in Q4 of 2022, I cancelled all future reservations which had refundable deposits. We will sail a couple that were booked under NRD, but I think they've outpriced themselves for the product they are currently providing. We sailed primarily Royal Caribbean for 23 years, but 2023 and 2024, we are doing more land vacations in the Caribbean and Europe. 

I may still do some sailings when deals are to be had, but I won't pay current prices for current quality. Its a shame. 

It's a a shame, this isn't the first time recently reviews having been going South about Royal. It's time to look for other vacation options for sure to see just what is available.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, toad455 said:

It's the 11-day that is done in January. This year it's San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts & St. Lucia. 

For 2024 it's: Puerto Plata, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Kitts and St. Lucia.

We do a similiar annual cruise but out of  Baltimore and in December.Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Whil all lines are priced crazy, it seems like Royal is pricing itself closer to Celebrity and they're high. I think in the long run, inspite of Mr. Bayley says, they are going to pull back from some of their pricing. The only family line more expensive now is Disney, which for us, is a non started anyway. We have been sailing Celebrity more now than Royal. Just finished the Beyond, and have the Equinox and Reflection booked. We booked the Reflection while on board the Beyond, and got a balcony with the All In for $3271.00. We just booked the Harmony for May and it was $3100.00 without drinks, but with grats.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robmtx said:

You're not wrong about the prices going up ... except for gas; for the last couple weeks it's been creeping downward, and I hope that means other things will go down as the cost of getting goods to the store decreases.  

As for cruise prices, what seems odd to me is that prices are stagnant.  Last year prices were constantly up and down ... even if just by a few dollars.  I can't see any reason.  

Yes, prices are high.

24 Jan 2023 cruise

Category 2F cabin 7648  (studio balcony)

Fare: 2022.00

Balc suite nrd: -163.00

30% savings NRD: -713.00

Port Fees: 196.11

Total: 1342.11

18 Jan 2024 cruise

Category 2F  cabin 7648 (studio balcony)

(there is only ONE cabin of this category showing as booked as of today)

Cruise fare $6,054.00
30% off every cruise $-2,157.00
Balc Suite NRD  $-326.00
Taxes & fees $194.87
Total price $3,765.87 USD

That's a 280% increase.

1 hour ago, ssb said:

Inflation inflation inflation .

Like one said above :

Price of Eggs .

The price of eggs has nothing to do with inflation.   Millions of chickens were killed off due to Avin Flu (aka, bird flu) out in the mid-west.  Breeding chickens take longer to grow before laying eggs vs the chickens you consume.  Don’t look for the prices for eggs to drop until July.  

Edited by Plum Happy

8 hours ago, robmtx said:

This is an apples to oranges comparison. The elevated price of eggs has nothing to do with inflation.

The cruise I want to take is double what it cost last year. But the hotel I’m staying in this weekend isn’t double what I paid last year. Nor was the airfare. And while traveling through GA over the holidays, I paid $2.65 for a gallon of gas, which might even be less than what it cost a year ago.

The point is that Royal is trying to recoup their losses from the shutdown, plain and simple. They are not only raising prices but at the same time they are offering a lower quality product, which is risky. Is it working out for them at the moment? Apparently. Is it a sustainable business model? Absolutely not. 

Until they pull their head out of their behind, most of their loyal customers will vacation elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Here we go again. Lol everytime someone says their cruise price is high someone feels obligated to explain why eggs are high. Never knew so many were so affected by egg prices. It's crazy. I dont care about egg prices, just cruise prices. 

This is the first I have read anywhere as to why egg prices were so high .Was a good informative post on here, more then I can say about some posts posted on Cruise Critic 🙂

• Like 1