Princess EZ Air - early ticketing penalty

Koliver63

Just wanted to share a recent experience with Princess EZ Air in case it helps others and also check to see if any of you have run into this before and maybe have some advice as to how I might rectify the situation?

I’ll start with the fact that we are novice cruisers who have only been on 2  cruises… both on Crown Princess. We did the Med in 2018 (used EZ Air) and the Southern Caribbean (booked directly with airline using points) in 2019. Haven’t traveled since then due to Covid. 

We are cruising the Med again this Spring on Enchanted. I booked airline tickets through EZ Air in June 2022 and got great prices.  I purchased flexible fare and they were more costly than the “restricted fares” just in case we wanted to change our flights as we got closer to the trip. But in September 2022 - in trying to do the right thing and just get some of the trip paid for so it isn’t such a big cost all at once right before the trip - I did early ticketing for the flights and went ahead and paid for them. Doing this changed my tickets to restricted and non-refundable! 

The Princess representative said “it’s in the fine print of the terms and agreement from when you paid for the flights”. 

Sure enough…we now have an opportunity to fly on Saturday 4/15 instead of the Tuesday 4/18 flight we originally booked which would give us 3 extra days in Rome pre cruise (for a total of 6 days to see Rome before embarkation on 4/22). Basically, I am being told I can’t change the flights without a change fee because I have already paid for them.

Changing to a Saturday flight at this point would cost $550 per person just to change the one flight. I advised the supervisor that I felt like I was being penalized just because I did the responsible adult thing and actually paid for my flights instead of waiting until the last minute to pay. So basically - if I had reserved through EZ Air but hadn’t paid for them yet, I could change the tickets as often as I wanted. Once you pay for the tickets - you are stuck with them. 

The odd thing though…Princess told me yesterday that THEY get charged a $550 per person change fee so they have to in turn charge me. But the Delta website says that you can change your flight for no cost if you are in the Main cabin or higher.

I feel like it would take me months and months to get Princess and Delta on the same page on this one. Ugh. 

We obviously aren’t going to pay an extra $1100 just to change our flights but if you are new to cruising with Princess, please just know this about using EZ Air for your plane tickets. Don’t pay for your plane tickets until 45 days before your trip just in case your travel dates change!  If I had booked directly with Delta, I could easily change my flights no problem. 

While I love Princess and still feel extraordinarily lucky to be going on this trip, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth regarding their unwillingness to work with me and just let us reschedule the outbound flight to an earlier day with the same airline. 😕 So it’s a very costly lesson for me to learn about using EZ Air - costly in that we won’t get to enjoy 3 extra days in Rome. 😢 

Wonder what everyone’s experience has been with early ticketing with EZ Air and if anyone has helpful advice? 

Thanks! 

D68F1A33-F452-4C45-A132-7BE554E6FBD6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The difference is Princess buys cheaper/consolidator/bulk flights. These are different classes than if you bought directly from the airline.

I am not defending Princess but I don't think they are lying. Usually the prices on Princess's website are quite a bit less than buying direct and because of that, they come with rules. Especially after ticketing.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Most likely, the tickets you paid for were at a "tour" or "bulk" fare rate, that is much more restrictive than regular tickets once the tickets have been paid for.

From a ticketing perspective the flights are considered "booked" or "reserved" when you pick the specific flights, but become "ticketed" when you actually pay for them. Most likely, there is a fare rule associated with the fare stating a change fee applies for any changes after being ticketed.

Edited by loanshark
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, Koliver63 said:

But in September 2022 - in trying to do the right thing and just get some of the trip paid for so it isn’t such a big cost all at once right before the trip - I did early ticketing for the flights and went ahead and paid for them. Doing this changed my tickets to restricted and non-refundable! 

Next time - I would just pay towards the cruise or put money into savings.

Once they are ticketed - you can not change them. This is pretty clear in writing. Sorry about your issue. 

Though personally I would spend $1100 for 3 days in Rome.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry you’re missing out on 3 more days in Rome. It’s our favorite city 

Unless things have changed since pre covid tickets can be changed up to 45 days prior to departure even when paying the full voyage cost including airfare AS LONG AS you don’t request early ticketing. Is this not correct or has this changed? 

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gottagocit said:

Unless things have changed since pre covid tickets can be changed up to 45 days prior to departure even when paying the full voyage cost including airfare AS LONG AS you don’t request early ticketing. Is this not correct or has this changed? 

Correct - the OP did early ticketing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's really disappointing to hear when new cruisers get the short end of the stick in situations like this.  It just goes to the fact that you REALLY need to read EVERYTHING...and maybe ask questions here on CC.  Plenty of help/advice available (but don't blindly take the first bit of advice offered!  Wait for a real consensus of answers!)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It's really disappointing to hear when new cruisers get the short end of the stick in situations like this.  It just goes to the fact that you REALLY need to read EVERYTHING...and maybe ask questions here on CC.  Plenty of help/advice available (but don't blindly take the first bit of advice offered!  Wait for a real consensus of answers!)

Travel agents can be of help also!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Koliver63 said:

Just wanted to share a recent experience with Princess EZ Air in case it helps others and also check to see if any of you have run into this before and maybe have some advice as to how I might rectify the situation?

I’ll start with the fact that we are novice cruisers who have only been on 2  cruises… both on Crown Princess. We did the Med in 2018 (used EZ Air) and the Southern Caribbean (booked directly with airline using points) in 2019. Haven’t traveled since then due to Covid. 

We are cruising the Med again this Spring on Enchanted. I booked airline tickets through EZ Air in June 2022 and got great prices.  I purchased flexible fare and they were more costly than the “restricted fares” just in case we wanted to change our flights as we got closer to the trip. But in September 2022 - in trying to do the right thing and just get some of the trip paid for so it isn’t such a big cost all at once right before the trip - I did early ticketing for the flights and went ahead and paid for them. Doing this changed my tickets to restricted and non-refundable! 

The Princess representative said “it’s in the fine print of the terms and agreement from when you paid for the flights”. 

Sure enough…we now have an opportunity to fly on Saturday 4/15 instead of the Tuesday 4/18 flight we originally booked which would give us 3 extra days in Rome pre cruise (for a total of 6 days to see Rome before embarkation on 4/22). Basically, I am being told I can’t change the flights without a change fee because I have already paid for them.

Changing to a Saturday flight at this point would cost $550 per person just to change the one flight. I advised the supervisor that I felt like I was being penalized just because I did the responsible adult thing and actually paid for my flights instead of waiting until the last minute to pay. So basically - if I had reserved through EZ Air but hadn’t paid for them yet, I could change the tickets as often as I wanted. Once you pay for the tickets - you are stuck with them. 

The odd thing though…Princess told me yesterday that THEY get charged a $550 per person change fee so they have to in turn charge me. But the Delta website says that you can change your flight for no cost if you are in the Main cabin or higher.

I feel like it would take me months and months to get Princess and Delta on the same page on this one. Ugh. 

We obviously aren’t going to pay an extra $1100 just to change our flights but if you are new to cruising with Princess, please just know this about using EZ Air for your plane tickets. Don’t pay for your plane tickets until 45 days before your trip just in case your travel dates change!  If I had booked directly with Delta, I could easily change my flights no problem. 

While I love Princess and still feel extraordinarily lucky to be going on this trip, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth regarding their unwillingness to work with me and just let us reschedule the outbound flight to an earlier day with the same airline. 😕 So it’s a very costly lesson for me to learn about using EZ Air - costly in that we won’t get to enjoy 3 extra days in Rome. 😢 

Wonder what everyone’s experience has been with early ticketing with EZ Air and if anyone has helpful advice? 

Thanks! 

D68F1A33-F452-4C45-A132-7BE554E6FBD6.jpeg

What a shame.  These are deeply discounted fares and the rules are different than the general main cabin fares.

Did you ask Delta if you could change?  They should tell you that you must go back to the TA/EZAir for any changes.

If you booked with DL, the fare would have been a lot higher. Then, if you wanted to change the outbound date, they would have to reprice the whole ticket.  Yes, you could change it, but it would be plus the difference in fare.

• Like 3

Also in a side note about EZ-Air payments, I called to inquire using gift cards for payments for my airfare that I booked and was told I should go ahead and pay for the cruise and airfare earlier than the final payment date to be able to use all gift cards.  I have read many posts that state you can't use gift cards to pay for EZ-Air, but as long as you call in and allow them to apply all gift cards to total purchase the system will allow it.  I think the key is not to request early ticketing, because the rep. said I still could receive reface pricing up until the 45 day mark and would just receive credit back to the gift card if applicable.  Sometimes cc can be helpful, however with a lot of varied information it can sometimes get confusing and questionable.  It's too bad OP can't enjoy additional time overseas, that was one of the highlights when we went Europe to spend several days abroad before our cruise.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I believe when you request early ticketing - there is warnings up about it also. So yes, read everything.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What a shame.  These are deeply discounted fares and the rules are different than the general main cabin fares.

Did you ask Delta if you could change?  They should tell you that you must go back to the TA/EZAir for any changes.

If you booked with DL, the fare would have been a lot higher. Then, if you wanted to change the outbound date, they would have to reprice the whole ticket.  Yes, you could change it, but it would be plus the difference in fare.

I checked the flights if I booked today with delta directly…it would be $200 cheaper than what I paid for EZ Air tickets last year 😔 same flights…non stop flights there and back. But I’m going to call Dekta to see if they’ll change us but I think they will just tell me to contact Princess and I already know what they will say. I think I’m just chalking this up to a really big lesson learned. 😕 and trysting the universe that for some reason…I’m just not supposed to travel the earlier day or maybe there is a reason I’m supposed to be home those extra 3 days. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Koliver63 said:

I checked the flights if I booked today with delta directly…it would be $200 cheaper than what I paid for EZ Air tickets last year 😔 same flights…non stop flights there and back. But I’m going to call Dekta to see if they’ll change us but I think they will just tell me to contact Princess and I already know what they will say. I think I’m just chalking this up to a really big lesson learned. 😕 and trysting the universe that for some reason…I’m just not supposed to travel the earlier day or maybe there is a reason I’m supposed to be home those extra 3 days. 🤷‍♀️

Delta ABSOLUTELY will NOT touch this reservation before it is ticketed...and probably not even after.  I've tried, though it was with another cruise line (same type of air promo).  I was simply wanting to upgrade seats and they referred me back to the cruise line (NCL).  I will never again use these air promos...they are what is called "bulk consolidation" deals and the rules and regs are CRAZY.  I'll depend on my status with Delta to get my deals, thank you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Koliver63 said:

Wow!  That’s unusual for International tickets.  
Keep us posted.

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Wow!  That’s unusual for International tickets.  
Keep us posted.

She said "today". It is possible when she booked it was cheaper with Princess. Or maybe not. Air rates can change daily.

I personally would pay the $1100. It would be worth it to me to spend 3 more days there. It will cost more in the future to fly back over there.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

She said "today". It is possible when she booked it was cheaper with Princess. Or maybe not. Air rates can change daily.

I personally would pay the $1100. It would be worth it to me to spend 3 more days there. It will cost more in the future to fly back over there.

I know.  Maybe a sale.  My international ticket is double the price with the airline, as opposed to booking with EZ Air. 

@Koliver63,  this situation isn't any different than dealing with the airline, except you have to pay for airline tickets as soon as book with them and you are subject to airline rules 24 hrs after booking.

Same with EZ-Air... as soon as the flights are ticketed, you are subject to cancellation and change rules... even if that happens at the 45 day mark.

A guest should never early ticket with EZ-Air if they have half a mind to travel earlier.  Even if you are locked in at a low low fare.  If you decide to chamge flights, you are going to have to pay the going rate.

As for main cabin and free changes, don't make mistake and presume EZ-Air tkts are like full economy just because we have the flexibility of full economy.  We are getting reduced fare seating and hence the penalties for changes.  If you bought similar tkts with the airline, you would indeed have to pay a change fee.

I am also thinking your $550 fare difference is a combination of fare differences plus change fee. 

Sorry you were not fully aware of how EZ-Air works, but your experience reads as situation normal to me.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

Don't feel too badly. We're about to take our 20th cruise with Princess this month but have only used EZAir once before and it worked out beautifully. We booked very last minute for the upcoming cruise and also bought the flexible fare tickets and paid almost immediately thinking that we should do that so that we would be booked with the airline and then be able to upgrade. Sure, we made a mistake as others have pointed out that EZAir buys bulk flights. What did we know ~ didn't give it a minutes thought and now we know we can't try to pay for the "normal" upgrade. BTW, tickets were NOT cheap as they were purchased about 3 months prior to the cruise. For us, it's just a matter of upgraded seats (for a 17 hour flight would be lovely...) on the same day and am sorry for your experience. Enjoy your trip and don't look back. We've all made our own travel mistakes but how you handle/face it makes all the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:
2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Travel agents can be of help also!

Travel Agents can waived change fees on ticketed flight changes?? I thought (obviously wrong) that they were unable to waive 3rd party fees. 

Or do you mean they can explain the purchase contract. (I actually think it is well written but so few actually read it)

Edited by Ombud

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Travel Agents can waived change fees on ticketed flight changes?? I thought (obviously wrong) that they were unable to waive 3rd party fees. 

Or do you mean they can explain the purchase contract. (I actually think it is well written but so few actually read it)

Explain the purchase contract, make suggestions on how to pay off cruise early without penalties. When I asked to early ticket my plane ticket- when it was not on website like it is now - she pointed out it became a restricted ticket at that point with limited changes.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Don't feel too badly. We're about to take our 20th cruise with Princess this month but have only used EZAir once before and it worked out beautifully. We booked very last minute for the upcoming cruise and also bought the flexible fare tickets and paid almost immediately thinking that we should do that so that we would be booked with the airline and then be able to upgrade. Sure, we made a mistake as others have pointed out that EZAir buys bulk flights. What did we know ~ didn't give it a minutes thought and now we know we can't try to pay for the "normal" upgrade. BTW, tickets were NOT cheap as they were purchased about 3 months prior to the cruise. For us, it's just a matter of upgraded seats (for a 17 hour flight would be lovely...) on the same day and am sorry for your experience. Enjoy your trip and don't look back. We've all made our own travel mistakes but how you handle/face it makes all the difference.

Thank you so much for your post. I’m going to just look forward, chalk it up to a lesson learned and just enjoy the cruise. We will have 3 days in Rome and then an unbelievable 14 day cruise to Italy, Turkey and Greece. I’m just going to focus on that and be thrilled and thankful that we get to do the trip. We are truly one of the blessed in this world to even be able to go on a trip like this. ❤️ I won’t sweat the 3 days that might have been! 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Koliver63 said:

We will have 3 days in Rome and then an unbelievable 14 day cruise to Italy, Turkey and Greece. 

You will LOVE Santorini!  Probably my most favorite port stop ANYWHERE!  But be prepared for a long line for the tram up the side of the ridge/mountain.