Removing the couch

We cruise interior cabins- better sleeping, better cost…

I recently had surgery on my hands and am unable to crawl into bed from the end. Did not realize the couch and desk touch the end of the bed so can’t enter from the side.

I spent 3 nights wiggling, jumping, walking on my knees to get into bed, but I can’t imagine doing this for 7 nights on my upcoming cruise on EOS…

When I called RC to see about other configurations they offered me a balcony for more than double my cost OR….

Told me to go straight to Guest Services when I board and request that the couch and/or desk be removed from my cabin!!!

Has anybody ever really done this- they seem affixed to the room!?!

I am not sure what exactly the problem is, but have you tried sitting on the bed and then just lying down backwards?

Also, having 2 twin beds pushed to the sides instead of a queen in the middle will solve any problem.

As you can see on the photo below, there is space available between the sofa and the bed, and between the desk and the bed.

image.thumb.jpeg.434aa31e291863509fbf4607281b1ebc.jpeg

Have you considered having the bed in your interior cabin separated into two twins?  that way you will have a center aisle between the beds for easy entry/exit this time.  It is an efficient use of space.

If you do not like that idea, the next most cost effective might be a promenade view cabin.  It will have the head of the bed set against the side wall.  It won’t be as dark as your regular inside cabin, but close the curtains and your eyelids tightly😉

• Like 6

They told me I could just ask my steward to SWITCH the bed and the couch in any balcony room (Oasis class)!!!  I was calling to make sure any room I booked would have the bed next to the bathroom.  You canNOT just switch those!!!  The room is physically SHORTER where the couch is, it would never ever work. 

I don't have much confidence in anything the reps tell people when they call. I think they just want to give you what you want to hear and get you off the phone.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Vertigo127 said:

Told me to go straight to Guest Services when I board and request that the couch and/or desk be removed from my cabin!!!

Removing the couch might be doable, but not the desk. While not ideal, especially if you want to be next to your SO, split the bed as mentioned above.

1 hour ago, Vertigo127 said:

I recently had surgery on my hands and am unable to crawl into bed from the end. Did not realize the couch and desk touch the end of the bed so can’t enter from the side.

We have cruised in interiors before, but we've always been able to walk around the sides of the bed.  Neither the desk nor the little couch have ever touched the bed in our experience, and we've never had to crawl into bed from the bottom.

What category of inside cabin did you book?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

We have cruised in interiors before, but we've always been able to walk around the sides of the bed.  Neither the desk nor the little couch have ever touched the bed in our experience, and we've never had to crawl into bed from the bottom.

Exactly, we always book insides on different ships and have never had the desk or couch up against the bed.

2 hours ago, Vertigo127 said:

I have the same problem when sailing inside cabins due to mobility issues. No need to have the love seat removed. Last year on at least 3 cruises, I (or cabin steward) angled the love seat to create ample space on one side for easy access to the bed. The repositioned chair will block some of the mirror.

Edited by meadowlander

1 hour ago, foxgoodrich said:

We had this situation on the Grandeur, I had to swing my leg over the end of bed while holding onto the desk. It was a high risk maneuver at 3 am...

Oh, when I suggested a Promenade cabin I was thinking you were on Explorer.  I just processed that you used the ambiguous “EOS” so you might have meant Enchantment, which would not have Promenade cabins. I really do not know which ship.

Edited by Starry Eyes

I was on the Explorer end of Nov.  I definitely understand what you are talking about.   There was literally not enough room to get a leg on either side of the bed.  I could have asked for the beds to be moved to 2 twins but really wanted the king bed.

My friend's room steward moved the couch up which gave her room to get on one side of the bed.   I moved the table on one side and scooted the bed all the way to the wall.  I moved the table beside the other table.  This gave me room to get in and out of the bed without issue.   

Pat

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vertigo127 said:

I spent 3 nights wiggling, jumping, walking on my knees to get into bed, but I can’t imagine doing this for 7 nights on my upcoming cruise on EOS…

When I called RC to see about other configurations they offered me a balcony for more than double my cost OR….

Has anybody ever really done this- they seem affixed to the room!?!

Ok, just checked, and her ship is the Explorer.  

Please proceed with suggestions, CC hivemind.

2 hours ago, patattack said:

I was on the Explorer end of Nov.  I definitely understand what you are talking about.   There was literally not enough room to get a leg on either side of the bed.  I could have asked for the beds to be moved to 2 twins but really wanted the king bed.

My friend's room steward moved the couch up which gave her room to get on one side of the bed.   I moved the table on one side and scooted the bed all the way to the wall.  I moved the table beside the other table.  This gave me room to get in and out of the bed without issue.   

Pat

Thanks for posting this.  I don't think I've ever been in a cabin where I could not access the side of the bed.  I was beginning to wonder if the OP was worrying needlessly -- until I read your post.   

• Like 1

Thank you, all, for recommendations.

We will be on Explorer and I did verify that 4V cabins are identical to Freedom that we just disembarked- no space at foot of bed between desk and couch as some showed in pics.

I don’t want to split beds on an anniversary trip with hubby, but like pushing it against the wall and putting both side tables on one side.

Our ABC sailing has only one accessible room available- I considered this option, but do not feel right taking this space that might be needed by somebody requiring assistance with walking.

I did many roll, shimmy, jump, dive moves on a recent shorter cruise, but some did not end well and nighttime visits to the bathroom ended in me wide awake from the effort 😂

I just truly found it to be a ridiculous response from customer service after an almost 2 hour call with 90% of it being on hold!