The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 15th, 2023

rafinmd

Today is National Bagel Day, National Hat Day, and Humanitarian Day

The dearest days in one's life are those that seem very far and very near at once. - Abraham Cahan

Meal Suggestion for today - Steak Au Poivre Soup
Drink of the Day - Beam Applebees
Wine of the Day - Château d’Issan, Margaux, Bordeaux, France
Destination of the Day - Tokushima, Shikoku Island, Japan

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii eta 1-20

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Key West, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica eta 1-17

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 1-17

Volendam

Callao-Lima, Peru 18:00 Depart

Zaandam

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Poly eta 1-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Benoa, Bali Indonesia 07:00 - 17:00

Capture1.JPG.5acb9e930f435240202cf648ce95aced.JPG

Capture2.jpg.b6606fab5407569e0c764d688863c8aa.jpg

Roy for Rich

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Wow, what a perfect day for me. National bagel and hat day. Just returned from our local Dunkin store with a bagel with cream cheese, hope the cc is allowed, and going to the mall at noon to buy me a new hat. Must have esp (n)! 😀

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and look forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish.  I’m making a pork roast that is marinating.

Yesterday the work crew showed up a little early and didn’t finish until 2.  They put in a new insulation and a vent for the attic and another vent for the bathroom fan. Today’s chore will be to put back the stuff in the attic. They also closed up some gaps that allowed heat to escape. We now have a third of the space for storage but that should be ok.  For those in MA the free home energy audit is worth the time.

A trip to Aldi and Pet Smart are my errands today.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.285820deee2b46b53374ae21623b3a04.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 13

Good morning.   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another cold day here, but hey, it's winter.

A nice collection of days, love bagels and love hats.  We should all be humanitarians.  I salute those that go out into the world to help others.

I like the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good for a cold winter's night, looking forward to seeing a recipe.

I'll pass on the drink, hope the wine isn't too expensive.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for those that need them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning! We have a little ship movement this morning and right now sailing under some dark skies. Enjoyed our day in Tortola and we also got some pool time in. Ship had a pool side Buffet with some charcoal grilled items. Ship’s band played some jazz as we sailed away at our 2:00 PM departure. 
Had a great Dover Sole dinner and we went to show and watched a mentalist baffle all of us.

Today we are attending a lecture and have a wine tasting at 2:00 PM.

Thanks Roy and prayers to all in need. Our internet is so good we may try our church’s online service.

image.thumb.jpeg.19a3eeb68482c5ec221c1532b66505a4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.623c7e0e76b64d668e3821200c4041f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ecf50baaeafce88b79ea48866e3ece8e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6f271e23a5f47739ece97e5d737b8b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.de6917680fce6802b7029050bd1b760f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.976bb425aaadb5fad07f11e3fafa85ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e189981ce2c98b600f042a9144f92d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8a971bce6dee116f78228f636967a3f3.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 44°F.

It was a nice church service today.

Thank you Roy for today's daily reports.

Bagels 🥯 are tasty.

Hats keep you warm.

Food sounds nice.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

16737835215318665070684397516017.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24

Thank you Rich & Roy for the Report & Daily! It was 33 this morning, but felt warmer than yesterday, because there was no wind. Still Bindi made quick work of her business and we were back inside quickly. 

Roy thank you for keeping everything together & creating the maps. I really appreciate it. Off to the gym, Aldi, some yard clean up - if the wind stays away, and Bindi walks. 

Words I live by….

5A2734AD-6DD0-4A42-A259-C8D7C47CAD3F.jpeg.83d1037606ee0b0303ec778fa9982627.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support: Sarah, Kathi & Jacqui especially. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Château d’Issan 2020, Margaux, Bordeaux, France

Thank goodness my decoder ring was handy this morning. I used the 2020 vintage info of this red blend, but all released vintages share the same excellent - superb ratings. The low score of the critics is 95! I would love a sip, but even the pre-sale of the 2021 vintage is outside of my budget. The 2020 is available from several online distributors with prices starting at $61.95.

JS98 James Suckling

Extremely floral and fruity with currants and blackberries. It’s full-bodied and very layered with delicious, dense character. Full-bodied with dusty, layered tannins. Rich, but not heavy. Long and chewy on the finish. 55% cabernet sauvignon, 39% merlot, 3% cabernet franc, 2% petit verdot and 1% malbec. Barrel Sample: 97-98

D96 Decanter
This is a sinewy, powerful and forward-moving wine with a sense of momentum. Moreish, with the elegance and plump damson fruits that Issan delivers so well, but more muscular than some years with the impact of both Petit Verdot and Malbec that are in the blend for the first time in this vintage. These add layers of spice and the overall architecture is clear. Peony and violet notes add a kick upwards on the finish, this has a delicacy even though it is intense. Less Cabernet in the blend in 2020 than in 2019, as is often the case in the Médoc due to low yields. This new blend in Issan will be seen going forward after the addition of plots from the purchase of Château Pontac-Lynch. Barrel Sample: 96
RP95 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2020 D'Issan is a blend of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc and 1% Malbec, aging in French oak barriques, 50% new. It has an alcohol of 13.29%, a pH of 3.71 and an IPT (tannin index) of 73. Displaying an opaque purple-black color, it has vibrant notes of Bing cherries, boysenberries, ripe redcurrants and juicy black plums, plus hints of pencil shavings, wild thyme, lavender and forest floor. The medium-bodied palate has impressive energy with crunchy red and black fruits and compelling tension, framed by fine-grained tannins, finishing long and mineral laced. Barrel Sample: 93-95

JD95 Jeb Dunnuck
More backward, dense, and concentrated, the Grand Vin 2020 Château D'Issan offers darker currant and cassis notes as well as gorgeous floral, sandalwood, graphite, and chocolate nuances. Medium to full-bodied, voluptuous, and layered on the palate, with sweet yet building tannins, this is a gorgeous Margaux that brings ample depth and richness while still showing the classic elegance of the appellation. The blend is 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc, and Malbec, raised in 50% new oak, and it’s a selection of only 45% of the total production. It's going to have some up-front appeal and a broad, lengthy drink window over the following 2-3 decades. Tasted twice.  Barrel Sample: 93-95+
WE95 Wine Enthusiast

The walled vineyard of Issan has produced a beautifully elegant wine. It has structure while bringing out bright berry fruits and already integrated acidity. The wine has all the elements for long-term aging. Barrel Sample: 93–95

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! We have a little ship movement this morning and right now sailing under some dark skies. Enjoyed our day in Tortola and we also got some pool time in. Ship had a pool side Buffet with some charcoal grilled items. Ship’s band played some jazz as we sailed away at our 2:00 PM departure. 
Had a great Dover Sole dinner and we went to show and watched a mentalist baffle all of us.

Thanks Roy and prayers to all in need. Our internet is so good we may try our church’s online service.

image.thumb.jpeg.19a3eeb68482c5ec221c1532b66505a4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.623c7e0e76b64d668e3821200c4041f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ecf50baaeafce88b79ea48866e3ece8e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6f271e23a5f47739ece97e5d737b8b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.de6917680fce6802b7029050bd1b760f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.976bb425aaadb5fad07f11e3fafa85ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9e189981ce2c98b600f042a9144f92d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8a971bce6dee116f78228f636967a3f3.jpeg

Lovely photos.

• Like 11

Good Sunday morning. As predicted yesterday was a great day but very tiring. We boarded our bus at 8:30 and returned to the ship at 4:39.  We visited a private art museum, the Pachamac ruins and a hacienda.  It was designed to give us the best overview of the area in one day.  Museo Larco was part museum part horticultural garden. Just the storage area had 45k pieces of pre-Columbian pottery and they were all large. The galleries had wood sculpture and metal pieces in addition to pottery. 

Next up was a long drive along the coast to get to the Incan ruins that were found in the desert by the ocean. It is now protected but the country is poor so the restoration has been slow.   It has a border with a shanty town. Finally a beautiful hacienda out in the country for a Paso horse show and a delicious lunch. We drove a lot of the way back to the ship on the Pan-American highway. 

The night before dinner we had a nice walk around the Plaza de Las Armas and our dinner at Casa Aliaga. Heavy police presence throughout Lima area. Most protests are in the rural areas. Prayers for all on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. Nancy 

IMG_20230114_092205093.jpg

IMG_20230114_093001208.jpg

IMG_20230114_102826720_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230114_102156594.jpg

IMG_20230114_132918600.jpg

IMG_20230114_133427120.jpg

IMG_20230114_135146245_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230113_191934892.jpg

IMG_20230113_185957186.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thanks so much for your update and great photos. Pool side buffet with charcoal grilled items? Was that a normal event on HAL? Last major pool side buffet on HAL was in 2012 on VoV. Included grilled salmon, king crab legs and jumbo shrimp. Where has all the pool side buffets gone? And the Dover sole looks great. Didn’t not show the Misses these dishes cause she might cry. Last great sole was not at BB King Lounge but on Oceania at Jacques not Rudi’s.

• Like 15

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. Today’s job is getting my new phone working . After fighting with it for a few days, I decided to have a computer person come and help, or rather, do it for me. I can’t even get Bluetooth to work in my car.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks so much for your update and great photos. Pool side buffet with charcoal grilled items? Was that a normal event on HAL? Last major pool side buffet on HAL was in 2012 on VoV. Included grilled salmon, king crab legs and jumbo shrimp. Where has all the pool side buffets gone? And the Dover sole looks great. Didn’t not show the Misses these dishes cause she might cry. Last great sole was not at BB King Lounge but on Oceania at Jacques not Rudi’s.

If memory is correct I believe it was because no wash stations nearby? All they would need is a couple of those portable hand washers. I’m enjoying many things that used to be on BHB’s. 
This morning I went to pastry station and one of the staff said can I help you. I said I was just seeing if you had any plain donuts? He stated just a minute. Came back and said where are you sitting? A few minutes later freshly made and warm donuts were delivered for dunking with my coffee!

Dover Sole is not on menu but if you let them know in advance of your specialty restaurant reservation they will prepare it for you.

We are in lowest suite category which includes no cost for dining in specialty restaurants.

Enjoy your day! How about those Jaguars!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It's 27F and a sunny start to our day.  Should make it up to 52.  If we decide to head to Kroger it should be a wake up call seeing the damage wrought by the tornados that plowed through our county Thursday.  Otherwise I have sheet laundering and replacing on the bed on my agenda.  

Thanks to Roy and Rich for today's Daily.  Bagels and hats are great but humanitarianism beats them both.  I will be waiting to see Debbie's recipes for the soup.  I'm sure the drink and wine are both awesome but I'll pass.  More for you!  Today's port is Tokushima (Shikaku Island), Japan which has never been port of the day before.  There is a very long list of Japanese ports that we have highlighted here on the Daily but that is not one of them.  No I haven't been there before.  I've only visited about 2 ports in Japan.  Let's see some photos today for Tokushima!  

For all on the Care list, especially Sarah, Jacqui and Kathi, we send our prayers to you all.🙏  Cheers to the happy folks celebrating cruises and other happy events!🥂  Nancy @ottahand7thank you for the very interesting photos of your tour in Lima and vicinity.  Those horses were beautiful!  Bruce @aliaschiefyou are doing a fine job of showcasing Azamara cruise line.  Sounds like you've enjoyed every aspect and we appreciate seeing how other cruise lines are handling post Covid cruising.  Looks like they're holding nothing back!  Graham @grapau27it appears to be a beautiful day there.  Wish I was there visiting!  Thank you for Father David's sermon.

Hope you all have a great day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

If memory is correct I believe it was because no wash stations nearby? All they would need is a couple of those portable hand washers. I’m enjoying many things that used to be on BHB’s. 
This morning I went to pastry station and one of the staff said can I help you. I said I was just seeing if you had any plain donuts? He stated just a minute. Came back and said where are you sitting? A few minutes later freshly made and warm donuts were delivered for dunking with my coffee!

Dover Sole is not on menu but if you let them know in advance of your specialty restaurant reservation they will prepare it for you.

We are in lowest suite category which includes no cost for dining in specialty restaurants.

Enjoy your day! How about those Jaguars!

Watched the entire Jaguars game. Incredible! Daughter & family live at Jax Beach. They were rockin and rollin last nite. As far as donut this am, not that easy. Had to go through, snow, sleet & hail, well let’s say some frost and 36 degrees to travel to and from Dunkin’.

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

I sometimes wear a ball cap or tuque but never a real hat.  I'll pass on the bagel.  While tomorrow is the official holiday today is the heavenly birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr, and yesterday was the heavenly birthday of Organ Virtuoso, Missionary and Doctor Albert Schweitzer.  I'm not sure if I agree with the Cahan quote but like it.  I have not been to Tokushima.  I just noticed that the wine is a bit hard to understand.  I'll pass on the meal and take my steak as steak rather than soup.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps, Grilled Five Spice Lamb Chops. and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 15, 2019:

dishes15.jpg

Today’s care list:

Grahaam’s Sarah in pain and waiting on needed injection
Marshhawk DH eye issues.
Scrapnana starting over on treatment
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Ominous scan for Marshhawk

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam (my next BHB)

na0115.thumb.JPG.d93f789e316d89c7780a0ff2992d03fc.JPG
 and Eurodam (my latest BHB) in Everglades

ed0115.thumb.JPG.c642090c6db12fe591e35135f9ffcfe1.JPG
Welcome HOME Cruisin Terri
Happy Heavenly Birthday Martin Luther King Jr
7 days for Heartgrove (Carnival Legend 1/22 to 1/29)
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
DeeniEncinetas, and sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31), Aliaschief (Onward  to 1/17) Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from Bluffton, SC where it is 36 degrees.  

it was so nice to finally sleep in my own bed last night.  Best night’s sleep I have had in a long time.

Thank you to Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report as you do double duty while Rich is enjoying his world cruise.

Yesterday I went to the local butcher and stocked up on our meat supply.  I really had an empty refrigerator.  He told me that he thought I had moved.  Anyway, we now have enough meat to last a while.  Today I will do a supermarket run and also go to the apartment to get the computer, printer and of course paper.

The house still has boxes all over the place and we are still opening them.  Can’t watch TV because I can’t find the electric cord or the cable box.  I guess they will show up eventually.  

Prayers to all on the cares list, especially @kazu, @Scrapnana and Sarah.  

@grapau27, thank you for Father David’s sermon.  Always appreciated.  Love the photo.  It looks so serene.

Cheers to those who have reason to celebrate.  And I hope all who are cruising have a wonderful time.

@aliaschiefAzamara looks very inviting.  I may think about trying it out.  Although, at present Oceania fits the bill quite nicely.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.

Stay safe and God Bless.

Terri

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday was such a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  I really enjoyed the bright blue skies and that big yellow ball in the sky was spectacular.  Hope to see it again soon.  Today is overcast, but it helped keep the heat in and it will be warmer out.  This whole next week is supposed to be warmer than usual and that's ok by me.  I kind of wish we had snow because the nature center keeps offering snow shoe hikes if there is, but since there isn't, no hikes.  I almost bought a pair of snow shoes earlier in the season thinking we would have more snow here.  Glad I didn't.  

Today's meal sounds wonderful, even if it doesn't make it all the way to soup stage.  The recipe calls for filet mignon and I'm not sure that would last to go in the soup.  It would probably end up on a plate with some broccoli for dinner, but we'll see.  You can also use sirloin.  

This is the only soup recipe I found.  Plenty of website for the soup, but the recipe was the same.  Not to fear!  If you read through this recipe you'll know how to turn any steak au poivre recipe into soup.  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a40398431/steak-au-poivre-soup-recipe/

8216187_steakaupoivresoup1.thumb.jpg.c82aa4b009f44c554e5c5439eb13ca3f.jpg

Doesn't that look good?  I could eat the whole pot right now!  

Here is a recipe for steak au poivre.  You can make it a soup with the addition of the waxy potatoes and more beef broth.   https://www.afamilyfeast.com/steak-au-poivre/

561465557_steakaupoivresoup2.thumb.jpg.1231671c9e2a600ac3d2a25f3d7c9527.jpg

Or, you can eat it as steak au poivre!  This next recipe has directions for cooking the steaks on the grill or cooking them in a pan.   https://www.thehouseofelynryn.com/2021/12/01/steak-au-poivre/

2055309852_steakaupoivresoup6.thumb.jpg.a46746570b6e2f507f6ae9292759db2b.jpg

Remember, all can be converted to a soup with the addition of more beef broth and the waxy potatoes.  Enjoy!

Prayers for all of our ailing Dailyites and celebrations for those who aren't ailing.  @Cruzin Terri I hope you enjoyed your first night at home!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@rafinmd

Hi Roy for Rich.

The Rotterdam is in Half Moon Cay today. Change of plans.

0115230726.jpg

Thank you.  It seems like there was also a change for Nieuw Statendam which is in Nassau rather than Key West until 4PM.

https://www.portnassauwebcam.com/

Unfortunately, she is partly blocked by NCL Dawn but the forward half is visible.

@ottahand7 I did that same tour from MS Prinsendam in 2019 and loved it.

@aliaschief what I see of Azamara looks very nice and reminds me much of Crystal.  Unfortunately, the lack of a decent place to walk takes her out of contention for me.

Roy

• Like 16

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  It's currently 30 degrees and sunny.  I think it's sunny the drapes are still drawn to keep the room just a bit warmer.  But I do see blue.  And it's not the sea.

I would love to have a bagel this morning, but it's Yogurt instead.  or Skyr.  from Iceland.  Yesterday we had such a late lunch, and the shots were catching up with both of us, that we had no urge for  dinner.  We watched a couple episodes of season 7 of Vera on Britbox,  and had ice-cream.  Was it better than steak and mushrooms?  Yes.  

OK, got some HAL questions for you cruisers.  We don't drink alcohol.  But we do want good water.  Can we bring bottled water on board?  I tried to see if we could pre order it for the ship to be delivered to our cabin, and while there is wine, I don't see how we can order bottled water.  I like coffee, I live off coffee, but just a cup of black coffee.  Is the coffee package worth it?  Does it include everything at the coffee shop including any pastries that might be there?  Or is there coffee on the Lido 24/7?

Besides the vast amount of Trivia Pursuit offered on the ship, what else is there to do, that's a must do?

14 day cruise of Alaska  I think I saw adult coloring, which I enjoy, but what else can I look forward to?  Are there arts and crafts classes?  Build a bear?  We have 4 days at sea, and one day of cruising the Inside passage, which I have done before, and I plan to be outside on that day, as it's beautiful.  We are doing a Meet and Greet, and we plan to attend tea in the afternoons.  DH was very excited about that.

What on board event/activity is a must for you?

Oh, and BFF is now brave enough to try Tamarind.

• Like 21

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I sometimes wear a ball cap or tuque but never a real hat.  I'll pass on the bagel.  While tomorrow is the official holiday today is the heavenly birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr, and yesterday was the heavenly birthday of Organ Virtuoso, Missionary and Doctor Albert Schweitzer.  I'm not sure if I agree with the Cahan quote but like it.  I have not been to Tokushima.  I just noticed that the wine is a bit hard to understand.  I'll pass on the meal and take my steak as steak rather than soup.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps, Grilled Five Spice Lamb Chops. and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 15, 2019:

dishes15.jpg

Today’s care list:

Grahaam’s Sarah in pain and waiting on needed injection
Marshhawk DH eye issues.
Scrapnana starting over on treatment
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Ominous scan for Marshhawk

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam (my next BHB)

na0115.thumb.JPG.d93f789e316d89c7780a0ff2992d03fc.JPG
 and Eurodam (my latest BHB) in Everglades

ed0115.thumb.JPG.c642090c6db12fe591e35135f9ffcfe1.JPG
Welcome HOME Cruisin Terri
Happy Heavenly Birthday Martin Luther King Jr
7 days for Heartgrove (Carnival Legend 1/22 to 1/29)
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
DeeniEncinetas, and sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31), Aliaschief (Onward  to 1/17) Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

I have a vast collection of caps and usually buy 1 on every ship we are on.

Graham 

IMG_20220311_095500.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18