How cold is it sailing in Jan/Feb?

lrk

Leaving from New Orleans Jan 29th for 7 nights.  I have never sailed this time of year and just curious  how cold it will be on Sea days.  Also, was it too cold to get in the water in Cozumel and Roatan?  Trying to pack accordingly and plan what to do in port.  I realize it might be warm for many but being from Texas I am afraid I will be cold this time of year.  Does anyone have experience with this itinerary this time of year?

I can't speak to NOLA specifically, but I have been to Nassau and it be cool, in the 50's

Below that, it's usually pretty temperate year around, Mexico too

Also, just FYI, it can be cold in Florida ports, was in the 30's in Port Canaveral this morning

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lrk said:

Leaving from New Orleans Jan 29th for 7 nights.  I have never sailed this time of year and just curious  how cold it will be on Sea days.  Also, was it too cold to get in the water in Cozumel and Roatan?  Trying to pack accordingly and plan what to do in port.  I realize it might be warm for many but being from Texas I am afraid I will be cold this time of year.  Does anyone have experience with this itinerary this time of year?

Google average temps during those places during that time frame

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, lrk said:

Western Caribbean is warmer this time of year. The more southern you get the warmer it is. It's still in the low 80's in Honduras and Mexico right now. The water temperature is typically in the high 70s.

• Like 1

It just depends.  I've left out of New Orleans twice in February, one time it was fairly warm from embarkation and throughout the entire trip, the second time it was quite chilly (to the point that it was too cold to sit on our balcony) until we got well south.

• Like 1

We sailed out of Mobile on one of the fantasy class ships (Elation maybe?) in January once.

Anyway, it was very cold on embarkation day (temperatures in the 40's I believe.  And on the fantasy class ships, there is no heat!  It was freezing the first day.  We drove in from up north where it was even colder, so we had our coats with us.   Other people I saw (and heard) only packed shorts, for the entire trip and were freezing, miserable, and mad (at themselves for not packing pants). 

By day 2 it was much warmer, but still a little cool for a Caribbean vacation.  
By the time we got to Mexico it was 75-80 degrees and nice.  Alot of people were swimming in the ocean, but it was to cold for me.

Moral of the story, look at the weather forecast for New Orleans a few days before you leave and you should know what kind of temperatures to expect.  

• Like 1

Weather in New Orleans can vary dramatically in January/February anywhere from below freezing to in the 80s. Roatan and Cozumel will be plenty of warm to swim.  It will actually be nice weather (70s to low 80s) there instead of intolerably hot. 

• Like 2

Been on the Western in December, January and February a few times.

Usually it will be warm enough to swim at those stops in those months. (you can google average temps at all your ports for the months you'll be visiting to make up your mind to your preferred water temp. I grew up further north and 70's in January/February seemed hot then. Now I've lived in Charleston, SC for 20+ years and 70's is barely above our normal winter day. 60's)

But I wll say, cold snaps still reach somewhat south.

One of our cruise from Tampa in Mid January, it was snowing in Tampa as we left and the temperature in Cozumel was 70 with very chilly waters. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

The time on the river will be cooler at any time of year, even if New Orleans isn't.

I only cruise out of the South November-February because of the generally cooler temperatures.  I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  With the exception of late December 2013 - late October 2014(southern Missouri), I have lived here since late August 2004.  Humidity sucks.  I was born in the winter and grew up in places that got snow every year(Memphis(TN), La Vista(NE), Mesquite(TX), Mauldin(SC), and Simpsonville(SC)).  I can pack less clothes than a summer cruise since I won't be sweating as much.  Unless I was given one heck of a deal(free or nearly free), I will only cruise from the west coast in the summer.

Edited by Tiger0613

This time of year, it makes sense to have a sweatshirt for cruises out of the northern Gulf, especially for the first seaday. Obviously checking the weather forecast matters. We're on Dream and it was about 65 leaving Galveston on Saturday. Off Cuba right now and it's approaching 80.

• Like 1

Cruising with you on the 29th and also the following week. Doing a B2b. Anyway we sailed out of Nola on the same weeks 4 times. Temperature was always 60ish at night and close to 80 during the day. I sweated on my walk from the Embassy Suites. It was a bit cool going down the river. Looking at the weather for Sunday 29th, it looks like it will be a high of around 70 when we leave. Once we get out to the gulf, the temperature will be in the high 70's. I looked at the sea tracker today because this week they have the same ports as our cruise. The ship was located in the middle of the Caribbean and it was 80. All ports will be warm and the water will be warm. See you onboard. 

The key is not where you sail from but where you sail to.

We just got back from a cruise out of New Orleans on the Glory that went to Key West, Freeport and Nassau. It was the coldest cruise we have ever taken. The reason is that Key West was the southern most point of the cruise.

On the Cozumel, Belize, Roatan run the first night will be New Orleans weather, if it was cold in New Orleans then the first sea day might be long sleeve shirt weather but after that cold is not a problem. On that run you are going straight south from the get-go. Swimming will not be a problem though Cozumel can feel a little cool in mid winter - more morning air temp than anything.

Have done similar cruises that time of the year out of New Orleans and as others have said..........first night may or may not be cold, or could be hot. Will warm up after that. You are going to the Tropics. It does not get cold there.
Going down The Mississippi River is a neat experience, no matter what the weather. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Agree with everyone. It just depends. One morning it's in the 20/30s and the same afternoon it's in the 70's. No telling down here, it's a crap shoot. Just look at the forecast about 5-7 days beforehand and that should give a pretty good idea. We've been on Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises during the winter months, and it's never been cold in the islands.  The water was a little chilly a few times, but once you were in, it was fine.

One of the coolest things about leaving out of NOLA, is if it's not too dark, when you leave the mouth of the Mississippi and enter the Gulf of Mexico. Pretty cool to see that. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Last year cruised out of LA in January. LA was 50 degrees. First and last sea days were 60s and windy. Every other day was 75-85.

Cruised out of Miami last week. Miami was 75 degrees. Last sea day was 60s and windy. Debarkation day was 45. Every other day was 75-85.

It is a crap shoot. Chances are higher that night everyday will be harm. However, the majority of days have been warm. Down in the Caribbean is usually nice.

I just returned home from sailing 11 nights to the Caribbean. I did not sail out of New Orleans so I cannot give an educated reply on that part.

I can say I sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale and I was in a bathing suit and cover up 90% of the time on the cruise. Once we hit San Juan (first stop) it was definitely warm outside.......this was a Southern Caribbean sailing and oh so relaxing😃

I have sailed to the Eastern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale three times in January.  The itinerary included Princess Cays (private island), St. Thomas and St. Maarten.   The weather was spectacular.  I don’t think we ever had one bad day.  Sunny and warm.  Doing it again next January.