American foods that others find "horrifying"

shipgeeks

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never ate spam but I have had pork 

I LOVE pork...pork chops, loin of pork. ....BACON🙂all that stuff......YUMMY!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:38 AM, Schlinger said:

I think most American foods are very good, even if they're usually high calorie.  I always gain weight when going to the USA.  What I don't like that much about their food is that often times, even dishes that are savory contain sugar, sometimes significant quantities.  With pork meat, that's actually not bad taste wise, but I really don't like sugar in things like beef stew.  Or sauces.

Peanut butter and jelly is something that I wouldn't even try.  Sugar, fat and starch.  I'm fat enough as it is - why the hell would I eat something like this ?  

Something else I absolutely abhor about American food, or more precisely drinks, is the tendency to drink out of paper or plastic.  I refuse to drink out of paper and plastic.  On my first cruise, I learned that drinks on the pool deck are served in plastic or cardboard to avoid injuries from broken glass.  While I applaud the precaution, I haven't been back to the pool deck for drinks, ever.  Drinking out of plastic or cardboard is something so disgusting I keep wondering how people have come to accept it.  The cup becomes slippery from the condensation or too hot to touch (don't even get me started on those flimsy handles they sometimes have or used to have) and has a distinct wet cardboard odor.  Horrible stuff.  

In my experiences previously the pool decks served drinks in hard plastic cups. Except that they are lighter than glass I’ve never noticed a difference. I agree about any kind of paper cups and straws. Both of those give off an odd flavor in my opinion. It is nasty when they start to get soggy. It is like ordering a timed bomb with your drink. Chugga chugga..

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never ate pork chops .I ate roast pork in Chinese restaurants .

We enjoy Kansas City Pork Chop from our local butcher.

Like butter the taste and slicing..

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What is a Kansas City pork chop???  Is it anything like Berkshire pork?

NO WAY........................

Don't know how to describe them. Our Pork Store gets them flown in from KC.

But tender, buttery, tasty. Cut with fork no need to use knife.

We panko them which makes them crispy topping.

I even got of our restaurant to get them on the menu.

17 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

NO WAY........................

Don't know how to describe them. Our Pork Store gets them flown in from KC.

But tender, buttery, tasty. Cut with fork no need to use knife.

We panko them which makes them crispy topping.

I even got of our restaurant to get them on the menu.

Sounds like a high quality chop!

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

All the highest rated restaurants around here use Berkshire pork.

In Dyker Heights and this area of Brooklyn, we have unique butchers or meat markets with great products.

Blessed to have this available to us. What lines you would see before Holidays. 

We know the owner so we call and items delivered.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

In Dyker Heights and this area of Brooklyn, we have unique butchers or meat markets with great products.

Blessed to have this available to us. What lines you would see before Holidays. 

We know the owner so we call and items delivered.

Off topic but the best thing about Dyker Heights are the houses at Christmas time .

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Off topic but the best thing about Dyker Heights are the houses at Christmas time .

One good thing about Dyker Heights Bay Ridge is 3rd Avenue. 

I rode down it the other day shopping and the number of restaurants unbelievable. 

IMHO.... I think it would take SEVERAL NOT COUPLE years to cover all the restaurants from 101 Street to 67th Street. I think it's a challenge of it's cuisines offering.

9 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One good thing about Dyker Heights Bay Ridge is 3rd Avenue. 

I rode down it the other day shopping and the number of restaurants unbelievable. 

IMHO.... I think it would take SEVERAL NOT COUPLE years to cover all the restaurants from 101 Street to 67th Street. I think it's a challenge of it's cuisines offering.

I agree,3rd.Ave has always had great restaurants.My wife and I and friends were regulars from 1973 to about 1998.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I agree,3rd.Ave has always had great restaurants.My wife and I and friends were regulars from 1973 to about 1998.

Sorry but EVEN better.....u would be amazed 

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I probably would be .We did go to Sancho’s one night about 10 years ago.That was a favorite place of a friend of mine who grew up in Bay Ridge.

Still There

3 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

There's a reason Offal sounds just like Awful!

The absolute pinnacle of fancy food tends to run offal-heavy - foie gras, pate, sweetbreads, ortolan (eat ANY animal whole, and you're eating brains & guts!) Italian and French food is at least as offal-ly as Chinese if not more so - other than Scotland, Italy is the only country I know that deems lungs suitable for human consumption... Whenever I travel anywhere for the first time, I learn local language terms for offal dishes and specifically look for restaurants serving them - this almost perfectly weeds out boring 'focused on tourists' restos and guarantees finding some authentic local recipes!

To pull it back onto US foods though - what about chit'lins? Classic American dish! Liver & Onions? Various regional sausages? Boudin is arguably more of a Cajun than French thing these days - and if you've ever eaten a hotdog, you've been guzzling offal (even Kosher dogs might have appropriately-drained-of-blood liver involved) unless you make your own dogs!

The only truly horrifying American food is that foul concoction that pretends to be Chocolate - Hershey's especially is gag-inducing if you were raised anywhere else as a kid. I'll take a plate of haggis over that any day of the week 😉