American foods that others find "horrifying"

shipgeeks

52 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

norn iron, You did reply with the type of answer I was seeking, and I thank you for that.

Good topic. Fundamentally, one man's meat is another's poison. 

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I like Sam Adam or Brooklyn Beer made in Greenpoint Bklyn. I remember Rheingold made in Willliamsburg.

American Cheese still is useful. It's not suppose to be like elite cheese you would use on Welsh Rarebit. But has you said basic GC Sandwich.

Sam Adams is ok, I do like Anchor Steam Berr from SF.

Although living in Ireland, all beers fade into blandness compared to a pint of Guinness.

When I wrote my original post I was delving into Mature 12-month-old Irish Cheddar, unpasteurised Brie and a nice piece of ripe Stilton.

I live a few miles from the factory that makes all the cheese slices for Mcdonald's in Europe.

Knowing what goes into making cheese slices is enough to ensure I give it a wide berth.

1 hour ago, norn iron said:

Good topic. Fundamentally, one man's meat is another's poison. 

Sam Adams is ok, I do like Anchor Steam Berr from SF.

Although living in Ireland, all beers fade into blandness compared to a pint of Guinness.

When I wrote my original post I was delving into Mature 12-month-old Irish Cheddar, unpasteurised Brie and a nice piece of ripe Stilton.

I live a few miles from the factory that makes all the cheese slices for Mcdonald's in Europe.

Knowing what goes into making cheese slices is enough to ensure I give it a wide berth.

I'm American, so obviously grew up with everything you mentioned. There is only one type of American cheese that is good and that's Kraft Deli Deluxe (the non-single wrapped stuff). But, give me a three year old cheddar, some smoky gouda, havarti, or other cheese. But, sometimes, I just like garbage food - that's when I have that creamy, yummy grilled cheese with lots of mayo or American cheese omelette. 

Peanut butter and jelly...mmm, now that's some comfort food for me! I'm surprised (shouldn't be, but am) that anyone could find it odd. Crunchy Peter Pan, with cheap American white bread and any jelly that's not grape. 

I can't do that Guinness...but I don't really drink anymore. My college days are almost twenty years behind me and I just don't want alcohol much anymore. Saves me calories and money! 🙂 

Give me a nice, cold glass of iced tea with Splenda, ughhhh old age. I wish it could be with sugar, but alas, no more.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:11 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Peanut butter and jelly...mmm, now that's some comfort food for me! I'm surprised (shouldn't be, but am) that anyone could find it odd. Crunchy Peter Pan, with cheap American white bread and any jelly that's not grape. 

To broaden my horizons, I once again tried to enjoy peanut butter and jelly (jam) and cheap white bread.

My taste buds just cannot get sweet and savoury in the same mouthful, it was almost a waste of good peanut butter.

Now if you're talking comfort food, how can go beyond a bowl of creamy, buttery smooth mashed potatoes with scallions chopped through it? Divine. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 5:24 PM, Seamus6 said:

None of the things listed above that Americans might eat seem to compare to all the stuff commonly eaten in Asian countries!  There's a reason Offal sounds just like Awful!

I’m  from South Carolina and we use offal in our SC Barbecue Hash.  Things like heads, hocks, liver and lights(liver and lungs) absolutely delicious but very rich. Our ancestors used every pet of the pig…from the “Rooter to the Tooter”

My first visit to the States was in 1980 and, pre Covid, we visited fairly regularly after that. I don't think I've ever come across an American food that "horrified" me. 

OK, I might not see the point of putting a slice of tasteless cheese on almost every sandwich. And, I don't generally like coffee in America - it seems to be either very thin and tasteless, or very bitter (I think there's a confusion between strong and bitter). But, generally, I enjoy what I eat when I travel anywhere.

19 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Black Pudding is one to put folk off

Only when you tell them what it's made of. 😀

By the by, one of the major producers in Bury (home of the absolute best black puds) now makes a vegetarian version. Uses all the same spices, etc but a "trade secret|" main ingredient. Obviously it's not "proper" but it's actually tastes pretty much like the real thing.

Maybe we should start another thread - "What foods horrify Americans when they travel to other countries?"

I play on a food forum where most contributors are Yanks and I remember a thread like that a while back. Turns out Americans are often horrified by the sort of foods I regularly eat. Shortly on my way to your part of the world for a few days, MBP - looking forward to some good eats.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Harters said:

Only when you tell them what it's made of. 😀

By the by, one of the major producers in Bury (home of the absolute best black puds) now makes a vegetarian version. Uses all the same spices, etc but a "trade secret|" main ingredient. Obviously it's not "proper" but it's actually tastes pretty much like the real thing.

Maybe we should start another thread - "What foods horrify Americans when they travel to other countries?"

I play on a food forum where most contributors are Yanks and I remember a thread like that a while back. Turns out Americans are often horrified by the sort of foods I regularly eat. Shortly on my way to your part of the world for a few days, MBP - looking forward to some good eats.

Kidneys, tongue, beef-veal-lamb liver, pickled lamb tongue, pickled or smoked pigs knuckle, etc…no problem…love them all.  Blood pudding…no thanks.  

On 8/6/2023 at 11:18 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Kidneys, tongue, beef-veal-lamb liver, pickled lamb tongue, pickled or smoked pigs knuckle, etc…no problem…love them all.  Blood pudding…no thanks.  

I've not tried blood pudding or black sausage, but I would at least taste it.

In Germany they have blood and tongue sausage, which is served cold, thinly sliced, usually on buttered bread. That I very much enjoy.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:07 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

Black Pudding is one to put folk off 😄

Love it! I also enjoy trying all the regional variations. Bury is great, Stornaway is a bit bland, Clonakilty, very different to Bury is probably my favourite. 

My mom would make us cream cheese and apple butter sandwiches!

I refuse to eat American cheese ever (we did have cheese wiz sandwiches and that scarred me for life)

There is ranch (in a bottle) and there is made at home ranch with sour cream- great on a burger

Smoked mullet dip

chicken and waffles with spicy syrup

15 hours ago, norn iron said:

Bury is great

There's two black pudding stalls on Bury market. The one that usually gets all the publicity. And the one that the locals queue up at. 

Here's a short article about food on Bury Market on the Good Food Guide's website. It mentions it's written by a "long standing contributor". I'm sure you can guess who that is. 

https://www.thegoodfoodguide.co.uk/editorial/features/a-report-on-bury-market

Edited by Harters