American foods that others find "horrifying"

shipgeeks

7 hours ago, martincath said:

The absolute pinnacle of fancy food tends to run offal-heavy - foie gras, pate, sweetbreads, ortolan (eat ANY animal whole, and you're eating brains & guts!) Italian and French food is at least as offal-ly as Chinese if not more so - other than Scotland, Italy is the only country I know that deems lungs suitable for human consumption... Whenever I travel anywhere for the first time, I learn local language terms for offal dishes and specifically look for restaurants serving them - this almost perfectly weeds out boring 'focused on tourists' restos and guarantees finding some authentic local recipes!

To pull it back onto US foods though - what about chit'lins? Classic American dish! Liver & Onions? Various regional sausages? Boudin is arguably more of a Cajun than French thing these days - and if you've ever eaten a hotdog, you've been guzzling offal (even Kosher dogs might have appropriately-drained-of-blood liver involved) unless you make your own dogs!

The only truly horrifying American food is that foul concoction that pretends to be Chocolate - Hershey's especially is gag-inducing if you were raised anywhere else as a kid. I'll take a plate of haggis over that any day of the week 😉

Very good summation!  You mention pate’ and fois gras…some of my favorites.  I love starting a great dinner with pate’ with bread and butter.  Then you mention liver and onions.  I love calf’s liver or lamb liver with bacon and onions.  How about another favorite…lambs kidneys.  Agreed…Chit’lins and Boudin are disgusting!  I must disagree with you on the Hershey Chocolate.  It is an acquired taste.  You see…Milton Hershey made his chocolate with soured milk.  That’s what sets it apart from the rest just as Pennsylvania German Chocolate Cake is made with soured milk.   

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had a friend who came from Jamaica BWI.His grandmothers specialty dish was pickled pigs feet.

Zimne Nogi Polish Jellied Pigs Feet

Is the Polish version of the dish.

Alway looks like Head Cheese in a cube.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had a friend who came from Jamaica BWI.His grandmothers specialty dish was pickled pigs feet.

That is also a German delicacy along with pickled lamb tongue.  Both of these were some of my grandfather’s favorites!  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:45 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

That is also a German delicacy along with pickled lamb tongue.  Both of these were some of my grandfather’s favorites!  

That is not my heritage .My grandparents died before I was born.My father was born in 1895.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:17 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

In Dyker Heights and this area of Brooklyn, we have unique butchers or meat markets with great products.

Blessed to have this available to us. What lines you would see before Holidays. 

We know the owner so we call and items delivered.

I used to live in Bay Ridge and was a Scoutmaster in Dyker Heights.  
Love 3rd Ave!

We’re big foodies too. 

Edited by NE John

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Love 3rd Ave!

We’re big foodies too. 

You should take a vacation down here and it would take some time to complete all the restaurants and shops and deli's to cover.

I am amazed at the additions that pop up. Some make it and some not. So someone else takes that space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE John said:

Love 3rd Ave!

We’re big foodies too. 

Forget to say that now Bay Ridge like Brooklyn is a Melting Pot of Ethics.

I can not even say which ethic is more popular over all.

The only lost in the area is the lose of Diners so popular one time. Even the Famous Ice Cream Shops.

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Forget to say that now Bay Ridge like Brooklyn is a Melting Pot of Ethics.

I can not even say which ethic is more popular over all.

The only lost in the area is the lose of Diners so popular one time. Even the Famous Ice Cream Shops.

We were actually in Brooklyn Chinatown last Friday. We visit Brooklyn often. 
Understood about the loss of Greek diners in Bay Ridge. 

54 minutes ago, NE John said:

We prefer the Chinese Restaurants in Bay Ridge. Red Bowl is the newest everyone likes.

We do Miss Bay Ridge Chinese Restaurant and Lamps of China.

8th Avenue has gotten to crowded and not very sanitary if you saw the avenue around the sidewalks.

But you liked it, you  knew where to go. We twice went to Ocean Palace but the too changed. So Bay Ridge it the ticket.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NE John said:

There are still Greek diners in Bay Ridge .I lived in Canarsie but spent many years hanging out in Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

There are still Greek diners in Bay Ridge .I lived in Canarsie but spent many years hanging out in Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst.

Only one we know of call that all know is called Bridgeview near where Tiffany's was in the past.

We don't call the small sidewalk street diners in the class of the Bridgeview. We call them luncheonettes.

29 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Only one we know of call that all know is called Bridgeview near where Tiffany's was in the past.

We don't call the small sidewalk street diners in the class of the Bridgeview. We call them luncheonettes.

I remember the Bridgeview .I thought there were more.

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I remember the Bridgeview .I thought there were more.

There were four that were turned into Japanese Restaurants and one a CVS Drug Store.

One not in Bay Ridge called Americana on 65th turned into a Chinese Supermarket.

Times have changed.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

There were four that were turned into Japanese Restaurants and one a CVS Drug Store.

One not in Bay Ridge called Americana on 65th turned into a Chinese Supermarket.

Times have changed.

I used to go to the Vegas Diner often.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few American food and drink things I don't get.

Peanut Butter and Jelly, I love them both separately, but together ???

Bacon, Pancakes and maple syrup, love bacon, like pancakes but adding sweet maple syrup doesn't float my cruise ship.

American Beer (mass produced). I tasted some amazing American Craft beers, but most of the big brands are, let's say 'bland'

American Cheese, let's not even go there

I've kept the best to last.

American coffee! If the beer is bland, the coffee is non-descript. I appreciate tastes vary. In Europe, strong Italian coffees rule the roast (sic).

The sad reality is, in the UK McDonald's serves better coffee than Starbucks.

Edited by norn iron
modify content
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, norn iron said:

Bacon, Pancakes and maple syrup, love bacon, like pancakes but adding sweet maple syrup doesn't float my cruise ship.

American Beer (mass produced). I tasted some amazing American Craft beers, but most of the big brands are, let's say 'bland'

American coffee! If the beer is bland, the coffee is non-descript. I appreciate tastes vary. In Europe, strong Italian coffees rule the roast (sic).

Sorry to disagree but it's up to one's taste, Also when it was introduced and accepted.

One will say the same thing about items and variations the are currently but used at this time.

Have to understand that many items that were developed grew into what is now in use as variations. And many items that were once in use and now not on the shelves were once accepted.

That is the food industry.in the past, now and soon in the future...

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sorry to disagree but it's up to one's taste, Also when it was introduced and accepted.

One will say the same thing about items and variations the are currently but used at this time.

Have to understand that many items that were developed grew into what is now in use as variations. And many items that were once in use and now not on the shelves were once accepted.

That is the food industry.in the past, now and soon in the future...

I don’t really understand the point you are making. 

The topic is ‘ American foods that others find horrifying’ that is what I wrote about. 

• Like 1

I'm an American who agrees with norn iron that peanut butter and jelly are awful together, even though I eat both separately.  And American cheese has no appeal to me, although I do love cheese generally.

32 minutes ago, norn iron said:

I don’t really understand the point you are making. 

The topic is ‘ American foods that others find horrifying’ that is what I wrote about. 

You are right....that is the topic. You will always get responses that vary. (It is just the way message boards go).  

5 hours ago, norn iron said:

Chunky peanut butter with real strawberry jam on white bread is wonderful comfort food.  

Maple syrup on pancakes, sausage and bacon is superb.  It has to be real maple syrup.  

You are 90% correct.  Most American beers are very tame.  You need to try Sam Adams and Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer.  

American cheese makes a great grilled cheese sandwich and goes great on a regular cheese burger.  

Believe it or not…McDonalds always had good coffee.  We have many excellent coffee outlets and many of them serve espresso, cappuccino, etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Chunky peanut butter with real strawberry jam on white bread is wonderful comfort food.  

Maple syrup on pancakes, sausage and bacon is superb.  It has to be real maple syrup.  

You are 90% correct.  Most American beers are very tame.  You need to try Sam Adams and Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer.  

American cheese makes a great grilled cheese sandwich and goes great on a regular cheese burger.  

Believe it or not…McDonalds always had good coffee.  We have many excellent coffee outlets and many of them serve espresso, cappuccino, etc.

CGT,

Agree a lot with you......

Still like Smooth with Concord Grape. It was a school type of lunch with refrig needed. And Mom would make it after school snack.

Pancake w Syrup I prefer from Vt. not NYS or Canada. I prefer real pork sausage or applewood bacon.

I like Sam Adam or Brooklyn Beer made in Greenpoint Bklyn. I remember Rheingold made in Willliamsburg.

American Cheese still is useful. It's not suppose to be like elite cheese you would use on Welsh Rarebit. But has you said basic GC Sandwich.

Though I use to like to get MCD at the beginning of the year with a Big Mac for 99, since close by I like Burger King. Really coffee products not there but thick shakes.