American foods that others find "horrifying"

shipgeeks

An article on my news page today listed 20 or 30 food items, and practices, that non-Americans think are horrifying. (I don't have the tech know-how to link it.)

I would have to agree with some of them:

sweet potatoes with marshmallows and brown sugar

ranch dressing

peanut butter and jelly

the huge size of servings

walking around with a go-cup of coffee

Non-Americans, what would you add to the list?

Fellow Americans, are there food items/practices that you find curious when you are abroad?

3 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I was quoting the article, lol. (Not that internet articles would ever exaggerate in their titles!)

Horrifying seems to a bit of an exaggeration but I think I get the idea...  how about:

Chicken-fried anything

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 12:35 PM, shipgeeks said:

An article on my news page today listed 20 or 30 food items, and practices, that non-Americans think are horrifying. (I don't have the tech know-how to link it.)

ranch dressing

peanut butter and jelly

Fellow Americans, are there food items/practices that you find curious when you are abroad?

Sweet potatoes and marshmallows are a regular dish every Thanksgiving at my house.

I love peanut butter and jelly .I can eat it 24/7.

• Like 2

American cheese is off-putting for a lot of people, especially if they come from an area with a lot of regional cheeses.

The amount of processed food, including Kraft Mac & Cheese (a guilty pleasure), super sugary/syrupy desserts, and sugar-loaded bread.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:35 PM, shipgeeks said:

ranch dressing

peanut butter and jelly

I can understanding ranch dressing…yuckkk…but the rest of your list sounds good to me!  

I'll eat just about anything. Ate termites, and an iguana on my last cruise. I want to try cuy.  If someone knew how to cook a dog I'd eat it.  None of it puts me off to much, well blood, the food that's mainly blood I'm not into it.  Tried it though. 

5 hours ago, trey420 said:

I'll eat just about anything. Ate termites, and an iguana on my last cruise. I want to try cuy.  If someone knew how to cook a dog I'd eat it.  None of it puts me off to much, well blood, the food that's mainly blood I'm not into it.  Tried it though. 

Interesting that you are in Houston.Many years ago I had a friend living in Seabrook.The last time I was there I met one of his neighbors who said that he would eat just about anything and told me about his unusual tastes.

5 hours ago, trey420 said:

Fortunately (IMO), those are not mainstream American foods like Ranch dressing is.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Fortunately (IMO), those are not mainstream American foods like Ranch dressing is.

I do not understand the hatred of Ranch Dressing.  Consider that it is the the #1 selling dressing in the USA, so obviously there are many who like the concoction.  Personally I favor a decent blue cheese dressing (especially one made with real Roquefort) but ranch is fine.

Hank

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do not understand the hatred of Ranch Dressing.  Consider that it is the the #1 selling dressing in the USA, so obviously there are many who like the concoction.  Personally I favor a decent blue cheese dressing (especially one made with real Roquefort) but ranch is fine.

Hank

Hi,Hank, I agree. Actually, I didn't realize there was such a hatred for Ranch. As for Blue Cheese, I LOVE a good blue cheese dressing too!

10 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Is it still called Peanut Paste (not PB) in Australia?

I just had to check  - the brand I have is peanut butter.  I thing it was Peanut Paste many years ago.

I am in my mid sixties and had PBJ sandwiches as a kid and gave them to my kids.

Another thing we have noted in America (or on cruise ships catering to Americans) - that makes my jaw drop, is when people pore huge amounts or butter over grilled (broiled) lobster.  Sometimes they are even given a little jug of melted butter on the side.   I am too scared to try this as I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at it. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 7:59 PM, jakes47 said:

Another thing we have noted in America (or on cruise ships catering to Americans) - that makes my jaw drop, is when people pore huge amounts or butter over grilled (broiled) lobster.  Sometimes they are even given a little jug of melted butter on the side.   I am too scared to try this as I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at it. LOL

The butter is what makes lobster taste decent...otherwise it's flavorless. More butter, the better! Have you seen how much butter we put on popcorn? 👀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

My condolences Lenny.  Roquefort or blue cheese is a favorite.  I even have it on my toast with eggs at breakfast!   

My breakfast is a cup of boiled water with juice of one half lemon to cleanse the kidneys.

Two slices of Spelt bread toasted with two tablespoons of Almond Butter

One cup of de caffeinated herbal tea

I on occasion substitute almond butter with cashew butter or macadamia butter

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:43 AM, jakes47 said:

I just had to check  - the brand I have is peanut butter.  I thing it was Peanut Paste many years ago.

I am in my mid sixties and had PBJ sandwiches as a kid and gave them to my kids.

Peanut Paste is Queensland of the 60’s/70’s . All states now are only Peanut Butter.

I think most American foods are very good, even if they're usually high calorie.  I always gain weight when going to the USA.  What I don't like that much about their food is that often times, even dishes that are savory contain sugar, sometimes significant quantities.  With pork meat, that's actually not bad taste wise, but I really don't like sugar in things like beef stew.  Or sauces.

Peanut butter and jelly is something that I wouldn't even try.  Sugar, fat and starch.  I'm fat enough as it is - why the hell would I eat something like this ?  

Something else I absolutely abhor about American food, or more precisely drinks, is the tendency to drink out of paper or plastic.  I refuse to drink out of paper and plastic.  On my first cruise, I learned that drinks on the pool deck are served in plastic or cardboard to avoid injuries from broken glass.  While I applaud the precaution, I haven't been back to the pool deck for drinks, ever.  Drinking out of plastic or cardboard is something so disgusting I keep wondering how people have come to accept it.  The cup becomes slippery from the condensation or too hot to touch (don't even get me started on those flimsy handles they sometimes have or used to have) and has a distinct wet cardboard odor.  Horrible stuff.  

• Like 1