Norovirus on Brilliance

coaster

Seeing lots of chatter about it on the interweb about noro on this ship. Not seen reports here, but too many reports elsewhere for it not to be a thing.... Staff serving in WJ should of been an ongoing thing when they did it late in 2021 and early 2022.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, coaster said:

Seeing lots of chatter about it on the interweb about noro on this ship. Not seen reports here, but too many reports elsewhere for it not to be a thing.... Staff serving in WJ should of been an ongoing thing when they did it late in 2021 and early 2022.

Tis the Season... Happens. But would have to be Crew, Passengers just got on yesterday. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Tis the Season... Happens

Agree, but crew serving food in WJ all the time should of been a thing to this current day to reduce the spread.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, coaster said:

Agree, but crew serving food in WJ all the time should of been a thing to this current day to reduce the spread.

Been reading on Cruise Critic for 25+ yrs myself about Noro on Ships. The way it went back to self serve so quick think going stay this way. When gets to certain percent illness the Ship will go to status with more often cleaning and Crew serving. Dont think cases are likely high on this Ship, as said passengers just got on yesterday. That said even Pre-CV I never touched tables, Chairs, Doors and haven't been on Royal Elevator since 2002. I like stairs. When do eat in WJ I'm always first in and first to touch utensils...

Edited by ONECRUISER

58 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Think I saw that Baggie On Patrol Live last nite

You too.  I like that show.  Things sure have changed since I was a LEO.  They have a lot more patience than I would have.  But, then, they know the camera is on them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Been reading on Cruise Critic for 25+ yrs myself about Noro on Ships. The way it went back to self serve so quick think going stay this way. When gets to certain percent illness the Ship will go to status with more often cleaning and Crew serving. Dont think cases are likely high on this Ship, as said passengers just got on yesterday. That said even Pre-CV I never touched tables, Chairs, Doors and haven't been on Royal Elevator since 2002. I like stairs. When do eat in WJ I'm always first in and first to touch utensils...

No 2nds?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Norovirus  on Brilliance I have Norovirus in my house! DGS spent the night in my bed and woke up vomiting!!! We have a Disney cruise in one week. Luckily incubation is short so hopefully we will all be sick and well by next Sunday. 

And if not you will be over it within the first few days of the cruise.

11 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Best thing Royal has done is getting rid of masks for crew and going back to full self serve in the Buffett. 

After a bug broke out with crew on Explorer last week, all staff and officers wore masks. Soon many guests also had masks on. Crazy to think they are gone for good.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Best thing Royal has done is getting rid of masks for crew and going back to full self serve in the Buffett. 

Why do you think it is better that crew does not serve you in the WJ?  I loved not touching the spoons or tongs in the buffet. Seemed more upscale and without the things most folks hate about a buffet which is touching tongs and spoons from other cruisers. Finger lickers roaming the buffet is a a turn off to me. We all see them.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 10

I just got off the Brilliance Saturday. Thursday we found a letter on our door explaining that  there was a breakout of Norovirus on the ship and there would be a deep cleaning . The letter asked if you were experiencing any symptoms to please contact the medical clinic for an evaluation and to please  wash your hands often. The next day in the WJ the crew was serving the food. I noticed that they had multiple people cleaning the railings in the stairs and elevators. Friday evening we also received a form asking us to answer if we had any symptoms before we left the ship

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Allure had lots sick. I got sick. Went to medical. If it's not covid they dont care. Sold me night quil and cough drops to get thru week 2 of my b2b. 

Lots of coughing in the elevators. I skipped shows and tried to keep to myself. If you test negative for covid they dont pay for room service. You are on your own if you get sick. I didnt get sick until the 2nd leg started or I'd have gotten off. I was sick for 3 weeks with whatever I caught.

No

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Allure had lots sick. I got sick. Went to medical. If it's not covid they dont care. Sold me night quil and cough drops to get thru week 2 of my b2b. 

Lots of coughing in the elevators. I skipped shows and tried to keep to myself. If you test negative for covid they dont pay for room service. You are on your own if you get sick. I didnt get sick until the 2nd leg started or I'd have gotten off. I was sick for 3 weeks with whatever I caught.

Noro is a thing long before Covid. Sorry Royal treats those with possible Noro in this manner.

Edited by coaster

5 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No 2nds?

Being first in the door fill my 2 plate Meal and a Dessert dish same time. Do miss days when Royal WindJammer had large Cafeteria style Trays... Not really a Germaphobe, was just overly cautious. Until last Sept was caring for high risk Parents since 2007. Cancer, Emphysema, Heart Disease/Failure. Never wanted bring anything home where a simple cold put a Parent in the Hospital

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

Noro is on the rise because of outbreaks on land.  Inevitably people who have the virus board cruise ships just like they go to church, go to school, go to work, etc. where it is even more prevalent.

Self serve in a buffet on a ship didn't cause the outbreak on Brilliance.  

• Like 8

Such an easy solution:  WASH YOUR HANDS. DON'T TOUCH YOUR MOUTH OR NOSE UNTIL AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS.  Literally:  RINSE AND REPEAT.

I think they have the hand sanitizer thing backwards in the Windjammer:  they should be on each table.  I always sanitize my hands in the door and  AFTER I get my food.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Such an easy solution:  WASH YOUR HANDS. DON'T TOUCH YOUR MOUTH OR NOSE UNTIL AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS.  Literally:  RINSE AND REPEAT.

I think they have the hand sanitizer thing backwards in the Windjammer:  they should be on each table.  I always sanitize my hands in the door and  AFTER I get my food.  

Very good protocols.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coaster said:

Why do you think it is better that crew does not serve you in the WJ?  I loved not touching the spoons or tongs in the buffet. Seemed more upscale and without the things most folks hate about a buffet which is touching tongs and spoons from other cruisers. Finger lickers roaming the buffet is a a turn off to me. We all see them.

I have seen people use their forks and knives (besides fingers 🤢) when obtaining items in the Windjammer even with Staff serving food.  This kinds of negates taking away the utensils in an effort to reduce possible food contamination by guests. 

I can understand why some people try to eat early in the hours available to reduce the possibility of illness.

In the service, I ate things that a Billy-goat would spit out because I had to in order to survive. I also got sick more times than I can count from those items. It was easier to count the days my gastrointestinal system was not complaining about what I ingested.

I am now getting softer with more medical issues than I would like to admit.

I am careful too.

People panic when Noro is on a ship, but it's less likely there than on land.  Pretty much everyone has had it at least once in their life, especially as a kid.  Just wash your  hands and don't put your fingers anywhere near your face unless you have just washed them and not touched anything else.  Use utensils.  DO NOT LICK YOUR FINGERS.  I never do, because I know better, but I see others do it.  Use a knuckle to push elevator buttons-I've been doing that for years.  Simple things can protect you.

• Like 2

Standard grotty people not washing hands after going toilet or orther places. Also with brilliance lots of ways into the windjammer by passing the mandatory washy washy person. 

But people are quick to assume it was the windjammer, maybe people caught it ashore and brought it back 🤔

Lesson is wash your hands and dont be grotty. 

• Like 7