Norovirus on Brilliance

coaster

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

well, at least it is not talking about Covid.....but someone did throw in the mask thing, like how does that protect dirty hands?  

I am happy to report also, that I touch things all day long that others touch.  So I am at risk. 

Norovirus is a hand-to- mouth infection in most cases. The mask does not directly protect against the infection because it is hand-to-mouth. 

The mask is an extra barrier to make crew avoid a hand-to-mouth or finger to nose contact. In many cases, these actions are not deliberate but the effect of bad habits that develop over a lifetime.

Is it 100% effective?  No. The cruise line must think it is effective enough to mandate their use in this case.

🤔

13 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Norovirus  on Brilliance I have Norovirus in my house! DGS spent the night in my bed and woke up vomiting!!! We have a Disney cruise in one week. Luckily incubation is short so hopefully we will all be sick and well by next Sunday. 

And you will have immunity to it as well? What about the questionnaire though? Are you going to lie? Don't they ask about 48 hours before sailing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Norovirus is a hand-to- mouth infection in most cases. The mask does not directly protect against the infection because it is hand-to-mouth. 

The mask is an extra barrier to make crew avoid a hand-to-mouth or finger to nose contact. In many cases, these actions are not deliberate but the effect of bad habits that develop over a lifetime.

Is it 100% effective?  No. The cruise line must think it is effective enough to mandate their use in this case.

🤔

I agree. I would think that there is some reduction in touching of the mouth and nose when a mask is worn. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can actually excrete noro for up to 2 weeks after you’ve had it.  Which is why good hand washing is so important.  It can live on surfaces for 3 weeks.  Nasty little thing.  

We had it go through our house at Thanksgiving.  15 of us for 5 days together.  Despite Lysol and bleach only 3 didn’t get it.  Oh the memories….

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

You can actually excrete noro for up to 2 weeks after you’ve had it.  Which is why good hand washing is so important.  It can live on surfaces for 3 weeks.  Nasty little thing.  

We had it go through our house at Thanksgiving.  15 of us for 5 days together.  Despite Lysol and bleach only 3 didn’t get it.  Oh the memories….

Well, the Lysol did nothing against Noro.   But the bleach should have killed it unless it was too diluted.  

Because I am an untrusting person, I don't believe that the rooms are deep cleaned between guests.   My plan is to bleach-clean our rooms before anyone else enters.  I also do a bedbug inspection in any hotel room.    

• Like 4

10 hours ago, pcur said:

Such an easy solution:  WASH YOUR HANDS. DON'T TOUCH YOUR MOUTH OR NOSE UNTIL AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS.  Literally:  RINSE AND REPEAT.

I think they have the hand sanitizer thing backwards in the Windjammer:  they should be on each table.  I always sanitize my hands in the door and  AFTER I get my food.  

Funny, on ships with sinks at the WJ, the signs suggests to wash your hands deeply for 20 seconds.  The water flow it seems goes dark after 5-10 seconds. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, the Lysol did nothing against Noro.   But the bleach should have killed it unless it was too diluted.  

Because I am an untrusting person, I don't believe that the rooms are deep cleaned between guests.   My plan is to bleach-clean our rooms before anyone else enters.  I also do a bedbug inspection in any hotel room.    

We have been on a ship with a noro outbreak before and if you are in a cabin in close proximity to a cabin with someone who has norovirus, your cabin gets deep cleaned during the cruise.  We came back to our cabin to pick something up we forgot and our cabin steward had just finished wiping down every flat surface with a disinfecting solution.  The walls were wet and dripping, the bureau, vanity, wardrobes, entire bathroom and every other surface were all wet.  Every time we came back to our cabin, the door handle was wet and all the railings in the passageway were wet and dripping.  We saw men in hazmat suits cleaning one cabin under the supervision of the housekeeping officer.  All cabins that had someone quarantined were marked with a sticker above the door.

IMG_1475.thumb.JPG.6b7e772bcb67f727411e12846164f4b6.JPG

We were told all cabins were being deep cleaned after the sailing.

22 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Funny, on ships with sinks at the WJ, the signs suggests to wash your hands deeply for 20 seconds.  The water flow it seems goes dark after 5-10 seconds. 

The water does not have to flow the entire time.  Wet hands.  (Automatic water may turn off) Apply soap. Scrub hands 20 seconds. Rinse hands.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, pcur said:

Such an easy solution:  WASH YOUR HANDS. DON'T TOUCH YOUR MOUTH OR NOSE UNTIL AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS.  Literally:  RINSE AND REPEAT.

I think they have the hand sanitizer thing backwards in the Windjammer:  they should be on each table.  I always sanitize my hands in the door and  AFTER I get my food.  

We can bring our own hand sanitizer - gel or wipes, which is what I did on my November 2022 cruise.

6 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Thank you. PhD, not MD. But still know right from wrong and recognize BS

But you made an assumption, Mr PhD. Never did I say hot water made a difference. You assumed thats what I meant. I was simply reporting my experience. And, I, like most people I know prefer washing in warm water not cold. Either way there was no reason to be snarky.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

But you made an assumption, Mr PhD. Never did I say hot water made a difference. You assumed thats what I meant. I was simply reporting my experience. And, I, like most people I know prefer washing in warm water not cold. Either way there was no reason to be snarky.

Pretty sure you said it should be warmish, not cold referring to washing hands. 

But I’ll follow Mark Twain’s advice and bow out. 

17 hours ago, pcur said:

I think the real problem is hand sanitizer doesn't work on any form of the 24-hour bug. Only hand-washing. If they're putting out sanitizer for that, it's for show.

I've seen ships that place a sink in front of the buffet and require hand washing to go inside. This is the real answer. 

And anyway, a cruise ship isn't the only place you'll find norovirus outbreaks. They just get picked on more for some reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Always wipe my cabin down after boarding

On 1/22/2023 at 10:39 PM, firefly333 said:

Allure had lots sick. I got sick. Went to medical. If it's not covid they dont care. Sold me night quil and cough drops to get thru week 2 of my b2b. 

Lots of coughing in the elevators. I skipped shows and tried to keep to myself. If you test negative for covid they dont pay for room service. You are on your own if you get sick. I didnt get sick until the 2nd leg started or I'd have gotten off. I was sick for 3 weeks with whatever I caught.

How many times did you get tested for Covid?  When my husband got it he didn’t test + until day 5.

I got it the day we got off the Jewel NYE cruise and although I was really sick I didn’t test + until day 3.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

How do you “bleach clean” when on a ship? I use wipes but I don’t know if they contain bleach

• Like 1