Is the Premium liquor package a Premium deal?

Sigyn

For those who have gotten the Premium liquor package on Celebrity, please tell me if it's been a good experience. We just took an NCL cruise in December and upgraded to the Premium drink package and found it difficult to get Premium liquors and wines. When we were at bars the bartenders didn't ask if we had the premium package and would give us drinks with the basic liquor, and we didn't always think to say anything because they were so busy, or specialty restaurants didn't know which wines were premium and which weren't, and then they'd finally bring over the list outlining which bottles were free on premium, etc. It was always an extra step or two. It wasn't seamless by any means. We didn't learn until midway through the cruise, for instance, that Perrier and specialty flat waters were included, etc. 

My question here is, how easy is it on Celebrity to access the Premium package? Is there a separate menu at each bar that you can immediately see, do the bartenders ask, do you always know upfront how to get your Premium liquors or do you have to know what you're doing in order to make sure you're getting your money's worth on your drink package? And if you don't get the Premium package, do you simply pay the difference in drink prices from the basic drink package, which is what we have now as an AquaClass cabin?

9 minutes ago, njsmom said:

When we were at bars the bartenders didn't ask if we had the premium package and would give us drinks with the basic liquor

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this sounds like it's on you. If you ask a bartender for a vodka club, they're going to use well vodka because that's what you asked for. If you want a Grey Goose and club, ask for it that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi.  Just my two cents after many Celebrity cruises.  I used to always upgrade to the Premium package from the Classic.  I personally don't think it's worth it anymore.  A lot of the time they do not have the premium wines etc.  I find it more cost affective to just pay the additional charge per drink if I want something in the Premium package.  They do charge you the difference and not the entire cost.  Hope that helps!  If you go on Celebrity website or use Google there are lists out there of what is included with each package. 

PS - as a former bartender - you have to state what brand of liquor you want or you will always get the bar brand.   Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by spammie
  • Like 5

Our last cruise was in April of last year and there were plenty of items on the classic and premium beverage list that were not available due to supply chain  issues.  However, I found the substitutes acceptable in most cases.  Getting the premium package always give me an opportunity to try things that I might not have tried otherwise, without feeling guilty about not finishing a beverage I did not like, e.g. peaty single malts. 

I also like telling the sommelier that I am aboard for x days and would prefer not to have the same wine twice unless it is the best to pair with the dish I am having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We upgrade every time. My spouse like KJ Chard and Mer So chard so no choice here. I like Belvedere and good burbons so no choice here. We have also and I cannot believe I am saying this but Avian water is better. And I agree with last post I like trying different wines at dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

We upgrade every time. My spouse like KJ Chard and Mer So chard so no choice here. I like Belvedere and good burbons so no choice here. We have also and I cannot believe I am saying this but Avian water is better. And I agree with last post I like trying different wines at dinner. 

I just bring my really good wine from home and take a glass to the MDR for dinner. I enjoy it a heck of a lot more knowing I haven't paid for an expensive drink package.  As an Elite guest I take advantage of their HH drinks from 5 to 7.  If I want a special martini or fancy drink which I will have several times on a cruise I just pay for it.  I enjoy my cruise as much as someone who's paid the AI price.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pennstatedj said:

My spouse like KJ Chard and Mer So chard so no choice here. I like Belvedere and good burbons so no choice here.

Technically, you do have a choice, you just need to figure out if paying for the upgraded beverage package is cheaper than paying the upcharge for each drink. In your case, when you throw in the Evian water at full price, you're almost certainly better off with the upgraded package.

Depends I would definitely go for premium if you want a decent red wine , or a 12 year old scotch, if not I wouldn’t worry . We drink a lot of wine and normally get decoy Cabernet which is covered by premium, even if you have basic you can order something more expensive and just pay the difference. On a very recent cruise we ordered a few Johnny Walker Green so we had to pay 1 dollar, slightly above premium.

Something which has not been mentioned yet, if you patronize the same bar and bartender often enough, they will most likely remember what your preferences are and as such no specific request needed after a few days...

Sometimes, you can request an upgrade for a particular drink without surcharge, YMMV!!!

On my last Summit sailing the bartender often upgraded my Macallan to the 20yo without really asking and at no additional surcharge, in this case it would have been full price for this specific level.

Find your perfect bar and enjoy...

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

The Decoy is ok but I feel should be on basic as its fairly cheap to purchase. 

I think decoy is decent we sometimes buy it about 15 on average in store. But I love new policy we brought on 4 bottles all way better than decoy. Unfortunately decoy is best red offered on premium package.

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

Decoy is about $29 per bottle here. Second the Mer Sol and KJ chard. Also I like the Cattier (sp) champagne. The premium package also covers the Martini bar and World Class Bar drinks. Yum.

I never paid more than 18 for decoy Cabernet in our stores , Kroger has it for under 14 when they have a sale. Premium covers most of world class bar , we have bought several things a dollar or more above .

• Like 1

All of our cruises in the last 2 years have been in the Retreat with the PDP amenity and just for the wines by the glass darn well worth it. On the Reflection last year, I was also to get 12-year-old Mccallan scotch for the $15 per shot price. I love good whiskeys and the PDP has a nice selection compared to the classic offering. For just drinking vodka I see no reason to upgrade.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

All of our cruises in the last 2 years have been in the Retreat with the PDP amenity and just for the wines by the glass darn well worth it. On the Reflection last year, I was also to get 12-year-old Mccallan scotch for the $15 per shot price. I love good whiskeys and the PDP has a nice selection compared to the classic offering. For just drinking vodka I see no reason to upgrade.

Rum is another place where the PDP is worth it over the classic.  I must have my Ron Zacapa. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Getting the premium package always give me an opportunity to try things that I might not have tried otherwise, without feeling guilty about not finishing a beverage I did not like, e.g. peaty single malts.

I agree. During my first Celebrity cruise (in 2 weeks!), I plan to work my way through the martini list. I'm sure I won't love all of them, but with the premium package, I will sip guilt-free. Add in some specialty coffees and several bottles of Evian water, and the package will be well worth the cost for me.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of what other people have said, to get the most "premium deal" on the premium package, you do have to do a little work. Drinks are normally served lower shelf/bar brand, unless you specify what you are looking for. Most bars on X I've found have a drink menu somewhere that will tell you want is included/in stock based on the drink package you have.  My GF tends to like the expensive wine and while she does try new ones while on the trip (which could be from the classic or premium) Her go to named ones are always premium and she has to ask for them. As for myself, I  think I'm like most here, if I'm drinking my bourbon or rum neat or with ice, I have specific brands that are only in premium, if I'm getting a mixed next to the pool I'm not to concerned. I also like having the premium so I can try some of those expensive ones from the menu, that I may not be willing to spend on a whole bottle here at home.

I will echo what someone else said, the best service I got was in two locations on the boat on our last trip on the Apex. In the Club and the MDR. In both locations, after I ordered my drink the first night, it was ready for me every night soon as I arrived. At the MDR, our waiter had my drink in hand when he came to our table, and in the club, I never ran dry, as I was taking my last sip, a new glass was slid onto the table. It is really worth finding your place and getting to know the staff, it's pays out if you are specific with your drinks and service. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KellyCz said:

I agree. During my first Celebrity cruise (in 2 weeks!), I plan to work my way through the martini list. I'm sure I won't love all of them, but with the premium package, I will sip guilt-free. Add in some specialty coffees and several bottles of Evian water, and the package will be well worth the cost for me.

I've had the AI twice and while I did enjoy it their premium wine offerings were not the best but I put up with what they had and a few times paid the upcharge for a better cabernet which is still not as good as what I normally drink at home. Not a coffee drinker apart from the Aspen coffee and would get one every day.  Had lots of Evian and San Pellegrino so I was actually ahead of the game. 

24 minutes ago, cmaleblanc said:

I have specific brands that are only in premium

To be clear, there is no brand of liquor that is "only in premium." Any brand of spirit can be ordered with the classic package. There just may be an upcharge that could be cheaper in the long run as opposed to upgrading to premium.

• Like 1

Try the Classic.   You can always upgrade on board.   A Bt told me that the best deal was the Classic because 90% of the  drinks that people order are within the Classic.  With the cutbacks a lot of the so called premium liquors aren't being furnished because of so called supply issues.  The supply issue is that Celebrity doesn’t want to supply. 

if you are spending more that $20/day paying the difference in drinks then upgrade.  

As others noted any drink you order will usually be made with well liquors even though you have the  premium pack unless you specify the brand.      The same goes for the bottled water.   They will give you the water in the Classic unless you ask for the “premium” water, and most times all they have is the water given in the Classic. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2