Gem Jan. 25 departure from NY delayed till 3am Jan. 26, skipping Bermuda

Turtles06

We’re on board now. Letter from Captain announcing winter weather change. We’re not leaving till 3am tomorrow, and we’ll be skipping our Friday port call to Bermuda. (Frankly, the Friday forecast for Bermuda is not good, so I’m happy with the sea day.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

the weather looks horrible for tonight and tomorrow 

Gale Warning
From Wed 4 pm until Thu 6 pm EST

Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
New York City - NY, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Sandy Hook NJ to Montauk Point NY out 20 nm, Long Island Sound East of New Haven CT/Port Jefferson NY to the Mouth of the Connecticut River, Long Island Sound East of the Mouth of the Connecticut River, Long Island Sound West of New Haven CT/Port Jefferson NY, New York Harbor, Peconic and Gardiners Bays, and South Shore Bays from Jones Inlet through Shinnecock Bay
Description
...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY...

WHAT...Southwest winds 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 45 kt. Seas 9 to 14 feet expected on the ocean and 4 to 8 feet on Long Island Sound.

WHERE...Sandy Hook NJ to Montauk Point NY out 20 nm, Long Island Sound East of New Haven CT/Port Jefferson NY to the Mouth of the Connecticut River, Long Island Sound East of the Mouth of the Connecticut River, Long Island Sound West of New Haven CT/Port Jefferson NY, New York Harbor, Peconic and Gardiners Bays, and South Shore Bays from Jones Inlet through Shinnecock Bay.

WHEN...From 4 PM this afternoon to 6 PM EST Thursday.

IMPACTS...Strong winds will cause hazardous seas which could capsize or damage vessels and reduce visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Mariners should alter plans to avoid these hazardous conditions. Remain in port, seek safe harbor, alter course, and/or secure the vessel for severe conditions.

I live in the Northeast, and like to cruise in the winter to get a little winter sunshine.  I've always left from FL or New Orleans.  I'm looking to do a cruise next Christmas/New Years which leaves from NY.  My one worry is leaving from NY in the winter.  Not so much with getting to NY, since I'm coming from DC and have plenty of travel options, but with getting out of town and "losing" a day to the cold.  First stop is Bermuda, but I don't know how long it takes to hit warm weather

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I live in the Northeast, and like to cruise in the winter to get a little winter sunshine.  I've always left from FL or New Orleans.  I'm looking to do a cruise next Christmas/New Years which leaves from NY.  My one worry is leaving from NY in the winter.  Not so much with getting to NY, since I'm coming from DC and have plenty of travel options, but with getting out of town and "losing" a day to the cold.  First stop is Bermuda, but I don't know how long it takes to hit warm weather

Turtles, have a lovely cruise, even though Bermuda won't be a stop you make (sorry)! 

We did Getaway's 12/31 departure from NYC. We had a pleasant day and good weather. The departure previous to ours (Christmas cruise) left a day late due to river and ocean conditions. With @Turtles06delayed, I think you're at the mercy of whatever the weather g-ds bring. We were lucky to get out on time, but we did not make it to Bermuda due to rough conditions going from Florida/Bahamas to Bermuda. 

It was in the 40's the day we left - we enjoyed the hot tub pre-embarkation. Coming home, we abandoned the hot tub about 5 PM the night before arriving in NYC as it was too windy for us to enjoy. We have a tolerance for cold that others may not - he's from Russia, I'm from Central NY and spent years in Montana/Wyoming. 

Since Bermuda is in line (about) with North Carolina, you may not have "warm" weather. You may have 50's, 60's, or you could get lucky and it'll be in the 80's. I hope you have a fantastic cruise, regardless! 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We’re on board now. Letter from Captain announcing winter weather change. We’re not leaving till 3am tomorrow, and we’ll be skipping our Friday port call to Bermuda. (Frankly, the Friday forecast for Bermuda is not good, so I’m happy with the sea day.) 

Judith

Enjoy your cruise.

I wish I was on board as originally planned. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Turtles, have a lovely cruise, even though Bermuda won't be a stop you make (sorry)! 

We did Getaway's 12/31 departure from NYC. We had a pleasant day and good weather. The departure previous to ours (Christmas cruise) left a day late due to river and ocean conditions. With @Turtles06delayed, I think you're at the mercy of whatever the weather g-ds bring. We were lucky to get out on time, but we did not make it to Bermuda due to rough conditions going from Florida/Bahamas to Bermuda. 

It was in the 40's the day we left - we enjoyed the hot tub pre-embarkation. Coming home, we abandoned the hot tub about 5 PM the night before arriving in NYC as it was too windy for us to enjoy. We have a tolerance for cold that others may not - he's from Russia, I'm from Central NY and spent years in Montana/Wyoming. 

Since Bermuda is in line (about) with North Carolina, you may not have "warm" weather. You may have 50's, 60's, or you could get lucky and it'll be in the 80's. I hope you have a fantastic cruise, regardless! 

"We did Getaway's 12/31 departure from NYC. We had a pleasant day and good weather. The departure previous to ours (Christmas cruise) left a day late due to river and ocean conditions."

We left 2 days late and lost 2 ports of call and took 3 days to get to St. Thomas,  so we had 5 "sea days' 2 in NYC.  we left at 6:15 on Dec 24th.   I was on this cruise.  It was not a great cruise.

12 hours ago, juju2454 said:

"We did Getaway's 12/31 departure from NYC. We had a pleasant day and good weather. The departure previous to ours (Christmas cruise) left a day late due to river and ocean conditions."

We left 2 days late and lost 2 ports of call and took 3 days to get to St. Thomas,  so we had 5 "sea days' 2 in NYC.  we left at 6:15 on Dec 24th.   I was on this cruise.  It was not a great cruise.

Hey!! remember you from my April Easter sailing. I think? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. If I remember correctly, I think I'll not cruise with you anymore. You have bad "juju." 😁 Midnight departure from Manhattan in April, two days late in December. Eeek!

Thanks folks for the good wishes. The Gem really did sail at 3am today, pulling quickly out of Pier 88 and making the fastest sail down the Hudson we’ve ever experienced, going under the Verrazzano in 42 minutes. 

The rain had stopped and it was beautiful out, albeit cold and extremely windy. It was very special to sail past the Statue of Liberty at 3:25 in the morning.  

(I’d upload a few more photos, but the internet speed is really slow right now, especially for Cruise Critic.)

245812C1-C535-466A-BCF2-2C5DB377F738.thumb.jpeg.d377d46ddd68aae43d2a99bc505733f7.jpeg

69F17950-305E-4060-8F23-F3914AA42722.thumb.jpeg.7b7c87a372184bb8fe33d82e64d5a91e.jpeg

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks folks for the good wishes. The Gem really did sail at 3am today, pulling quickly out of Pier 88 and making the fastest sail down the Hudson we’ve ever experienced, going under the Verrazzano in 42 minutes. 

The rain had stopped and it was beautiful out, albeit cold and extremely windy. It was very special to sail past the Statue of Liberty at 3:25 in the morning.  

(I’d upload a few more photos, but the internet speed is really slow right now, especially for Cruise Critic.)

245812C1-C535-466A-BCF2-2C5DB377F738.thumb.jpeg.d377d46ddd68aae43d2a99bc505733f7.jpeg

69F17950-305E-4060-8F23-F3914AA42722.thumb.jpeg.7b7c87a372184bb8fe33d82e64d5a91e.jpeg

So glad you made it out at 3 AM! 

That second photo is absolutely stunning. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Turtles06 - Bon Voyage & wishing you a successful cruise ahead & return (B2B) 

Sailing closer along the coast should be the smoother & better ride with sea state, wind & waves.

Thanks!  It was actually so windy today the outside decks were closed and the barf bags were out. 🤪

It’s a gorgeous evening though, this was right after sunset. 

D010AAA4-3433-49D7-9E04-F10AA0E972BC.thumb.jpeg.666d5ec9f319074c0284c321a8192532.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey!! remember you from my April Easter sailing. I think? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. If I remember correctly, I think I'll not cruise with you anymore. You have bad "juju." 😁 Midnight departure from Manhattan in April, two days late in December. Eeek!

Nope not me, didn't do any April cruises.    🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:35 AM, dbrown84 said:

Totally off topic and I apologize but I get a kick of people dating DC is in thr Northeast when it's south of the Mason-Dixon line. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Totally off topic and I apologize but I get a kick of people dating DC is in thr Northeast when it's south of the Mason-Dixon line. 

probably the same kick I get of people thinking DC is not.  Admittedly, you're the first person I ever heard thinking it's not.  I'll start calling it Mid Atlantic just for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

probably the same kick I get of people thinking DC is not.  Admittedly, you're the first person I ever heard thinking it's not.  I'll start calling it Mid Atlantic just for you

I'm from Delaware and would never call DE the northeast, let alone DC.  It's mid-Atlantic. 

11 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

I'm from Delaware and would never call DE the northeast, let alone DC.  It's mid-Atlantic. 

My son lives in Arlington VA, NOVA....and says that whole area was considered "a neutral zone"...not the North and not the South.  Definately not the Northeast and definately not the Southeast.