Travel after full knee replacement.

tomcruiser1234

I did a 10 day Caribbean cruise 14 weeks after a total knee. I did have an excellent recovery and was discharged from PT at 7 weeks post op.

I had no trouble at all, in airports or onboard. I was able to walk the beach in Barbados which really pleased me.

Everyone’s recovery is different but my wonderful therapist and my determination really helped. I’m probably a lot older than you also. I was 69.

I cruised a few weeks after meniscus surgery. I have a lightweight collapsible walking stick ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0711TBVJD ) that I take on all my travels now. Used it a lot in the early post-op (with ortho's blessing), a lot less these days, to reduce impact on arthritic knee and add stability over rough terrain. 

Based on friends and family who have had total knee replacement, I think you'll be fine at 12 weeks.

I have a friend that just had a knee replacement, as her DH did a few months ago.  They have three major trips planned for his year; both are doing very well with their progress, along with doing whatever is needed to not have to have the other knee replaced.

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, Gia2cats said:

I did a 10 day Caribbean cruise 14 weeks after a total knee. I did have an excellent recovery and was discharged from PT at 7 weeks post op.

I had no trouble at all, in airports or onboard. I was able to walk the beach in Barbados which really pleased me.

Everyone’s recovery is different but my wonderful therapist and my determination really helped. I’m probably a lot older than you also. I was 69.

I'd say go for it. Buy adequate medical and evac insurance just in case. Everyone recovers differently from knee replacements, but if you are diligent with your exercises at home you should be fine to cruise. In the first few months  I still used a cane when I needed to walk or climb over uneven terrain, but that was about it. My PT and Ortho both emphasized starting strengthening exercises before the surgery and scrupulously adhering to the exercise schedule post op.

On the Apex 2 months after a hip replacement.   Age was 76 at the time.  

Everyone recovers different.   My surgeon told me the ranking of replacements and recovery shoulder is the worse, then back, knee and hip.   It also depends on your physical condition before.   My BMI a is 22.  We were both very active before my replacement and many told me that is why I needed the replacement because at my age I shouldn’t be doing that stuff.   We would ride our bikes 20 plus miles a day in good weather and during the winter the Beachbody programs like P90X and Insanity. 

Before the replacement the only time we took an elevator was on embarkation and disembarkation because of our carry one.   On that cruise we always took the elevator unless it was a few flights and sometimes depending on how I felt  we would take it for one.  You need to listen to your body as they say.  

It is a long walk going thru the terminal in Ft Lauderdale both getting on and off.  It seems to me like a useless maze of walking back and forth. It may be an issue if you can’t walk a long distance.  I think they have courtesy wheel chairs if needed .   I didn’t use one.  I walked a little slower close to the wall and let other pass me instead of in the middle blocking traffic. 

Get use to the “sparks” flying every time you go thru the metal detectors.   You will always be set aside to get the once over.   I would tell them about my hip and said I will show my scar.  They still had to do it because in reality I could also have something illegal on me.  

On the islands we did a lot of walking.  Not as fast as we use to but still walked.   You need to use and exercise it.

Hopefully it won’t be an issue for you.  Enjoy your cruise 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

10 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Today is my left knee 4 th birthday! 
I celebrated all the replacement parts , both knees, both hips and both lenses in the eyes do to cataracts 

I love getting cake ! 😁🎂🍰🧁

The Bionic person.  

I bet you really sent the sparks flying when going thru the metal detectors. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

DH had a total knee replacement in April 2021.  Due to covid we didn't cruise until 2022.  However, he says after 12 weeks he would have been ok to cruise but with some limitations.  IE avoid excursions with a lot of walking.  Take advantage of the pool and exercise bikes on board to rehab.  As long as your doctor says you are good to go I wouldn't stay home.  

He says to avoid dancing at all costs wink wink!!!

My husband had a knee replacement in each knee last May and July. He worked super hard at his PT and it was a rough summer.

But we wanted something to look forward to and took a Caribbean cruise 4.5 months after the second knee. Since the ports were beach locations it wasn’t too rigorous and he was able to really enjoy the trip. He could dance, walk the track and the length of the ship for hot dogs & beer! He was a very happy camper on this trip. 

At that point in time, if it were a European cruise he would not have been able to do the touring which requires a lot of walking over uneven surfaces. That said, we have a European cruise coming up this spring and he’s been hiking on uneven wooded paths (not mountains) daily 1-2.5 hours in preparation for our trip. It’s definitely given him a goal to aim for.

DH was 68 when the knees were done and the only regret is he waited too long. 

Good luck with your surgery and have an awesome cruise! Go easy and work hard at your PT. Wishing you the Best. 

Edited by bye-seaya

We took a 21 day B2B on Equinox 3 months after I had a total knee replacement. I had no problems whatsoever! We're planning on a trans-Pacific b2b with a Best of Japan cruise just over 3 months after my next (other) knee replacement this year.

My biggest post-op problem was dealing with steep ramps. We had an especially steep ramp boarding/leaving Equinox in FLL. It took two people to push those in wheel chairs up the ramp with frequent rest stops. I still hate steep ramps many years after 2 hip and 2 knee replacements, but I'm good on stairs and on uneven surfaces as long as I pay attention.

Have an awesome time on your cruise and I hope you have a quick recovery!

Last May/June ‘22  I went on a Western Europe cruise (Rome-London) post 8 weeks; intended 12wks but Covid delayed TKR a month later.  Key things to do are

Daily (multiple times) stretches&exercises pre/post surgery (good tips on internet);

Constant Ice therapy to keep swelling down ( I brought several ice packs, using one while other chilled in extra requested ice bucket, and even finagled getting a lounger for my veranda that was a godsend to keep it elevated during the day. Elevate at night if possible.
  I used public transportation in all ports (hoho/city buses, trams/trolleys) and limited my walking as needed for comfort.

Enjoy those sea days and Take advantage of the comforts of the ship as often as you can.

As long as you don’t push your boundaries you will enjoy your rehab in another world's playground.

-mike

In 2009 we had the Swine Flu scare, and cruise lines cancelled Mexico and went to Canada instead.  Cruises were cheap, so I took a B2B on Carnival.  On my first leg, at my table was a woman in her 70’s a few weeks past her second knee replacement, the first only a couple of months before.  She said there were no beds in rehab, so she had been in a nursing home.  She was depressed, and begged the doctor to let her go home.  he said she could go if she had someone to cook, clean, make her bed, and plenty of space to walk.  She told him she knew just the place, and booked three cruises B2B.  
  My mother was at least 80 when she had hers done.  There was no room in rehab, so she went home and rehab came to her, as well as meals on wheels.  She lived alone.  She did exceptionally well.  When she went to her two week checkup, the doc told her she could now drive again.  She didn’t tell him she had driven herself there.  Later, when she had moved to a retirement facility, she didn’t want to wear shorts because of the scar.  I told her to look around…half or more of the people there had the same scar.  She wore shorts.  EM

On 1/29/2023 at 2:34 PM, tomcruiser1234 said:

Cant see just staying home

Planning a cruise in 12 weeks after full knee replacement.   Yes i will keep up therapy. 

Anybody have experience. 

Best think to do after a knee replacement (or lots of other surgery) is to take a cruise. I speak from experience!

Firstly, it gives you the impetus to keep up the post surgery exercises and gives you something to look forward to.

Secondly, you can do as little or as much on a cruise as you want to. Swimming daily, ideal.  If you have a busy day one day then rest the next. 

The only thing I would say to be careful about is choosing excursions at ports of call. I now have both knees replaced and much as they are excellent I do think they twist quite easily so I tend to try to avoid cobbled streets, especially wet cobbled streets. I also find they get stiff if kept in one position for long. I did find the minibuses used in places like St Lucia for island tours very tight for leg room and I am small…

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

Also remember procedure is constantly changing 

4 years ago , you spend 3 days in the hospital and 10 months later my brother got his knee done , it day surgery 

Now they have robotics doing the cutting and drilling , much supposedly is dramatic on your body 

If you in pretty good shape going in , you shouldn’t have much of problem 

My 81 year old mom came with us on a cruise to Alaska last summer (5 months post knee replacement) and was a little slower than usual (still needed a Walker, as she waited for knee replacement #2), but she had a wonderful time! The hardest part was getting her up the ramp in Juneau, but the staff were amazing and pushed her up in a wheelchair.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CruiserMickey

I had my left knee replaced July 21, 2022. SO glad I did! We were on the Beyond's maiden and I could not handle the stairs, and all the walking on excursions 😞  We were in London pre-cruise visiting friends and I couldn't handle an easy, flat mile walk. That trip made me realize I needed to have this taken care of once and for all! And so very happy that I did. We went to St. Lucia for New Year's , are doing a Disney cruise the first week of April and will be on Equinox the end of June for the ABCs. Being able to get around easily and without pain has been such a game changer. I will bring an ice pack just in case I need to ice/elevate after a long day. But for the most part I am doing great. Echo what others have said - do your exercises, listen to your body, and enjoy your trip! (I am 56 and was 55 when I had my surgery)