A New Chapter & A New Beginning For Crystal

Keith1010

A new chapter and a new beginning for Crystal.

In seven months since Crystal Cruises was purchased today marks a major milestone of the cruise line so many of us have enjoyed. Our beloved line is now known as Crystal and has a new website, with new itineraries and changes to both ships.

I realize there will be questions over the coming days as some have raised them already. I am sure in-time there will be answers to those questions. If you have a TA, I would get the questions to them and if you are dealing with Crystal directly flag the questions to them. While some of them might be answered easily, some might take time to get the answer.

I suspect if we wanted everything answered day 1 it might have been another month or more before all of this would be unveiled to us.
I am reminded that it has only been seven months since Crystal was purchased and a company was not purchased since there were no people employed at the time other than a small skeleton crew on board each ship who were not technically part of Crystal. Two ships were purchased, a name and some information which came with the name. It all had to be created essentially from scratch. They had to slowly hire personnel and even today I am sure many more will be need to be hired, develop plans for the ships and the company including the refurbishment of the ships, itineraries, offering and the like. I suspect the task at hand was far greater than any of us can imagine.

As they say, "they've come along way baby."

In time, all of the answers will be there from your TA's and Crystal. In time, any omissions on the site will be corrected. In time, the ships will sail. In time, for those wishing to return to Crystal it will happen.

If or when frustration sets in, IMHO we need to think back to eight months ago when there was lots of sadness with many not knowing if Crystal would ever set sail again in any form or shape or for that matter each vessel.

So, I sit back and say today like some key days since Crystal was bought was another major milestone and new chapter in the reemergence of our favorite Cruise Line with the best crew in the industry and a beloved history. I look forward to the days ahead as we learn more and the day, in which, many of us return to Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony to create new memories which will last a lifetime.

Bags are packed.

Can't wait.

Ready to go.

Cheers

Keith
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pag111 said:

Do you work for the new Crystal?

You would think so but Keith is it's Number one cheerleader with extra pom poms and a big brass band.

There is nothing wrong in being so passionate about something that gets your juices flowing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its probably more advantageous to think about all those CRYSTAL CRUISES passengers that were  burnt by the collapse / bankruptcy of the line & the many many passengers that were & are out thousands of dollars in  booking payments.

So basically 2 old ships are rehabbed to accommodate more passengers at higher rates with the premise of paying upfront of deposits without even proving the line can deliver what it promises.

Buyer beware!!!

It's not just Crystal(old or new) it's how business is conducted today.  A fool & their money will soon be parted!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

So basically 2 old ships are rehabbed to accommodate more passengers at higher rates with the premise of paying upfront of deposits without even proving the line can deliver what it promises.

Buyer beware!!!

It's not just Crystal(old or new) it's how business is conducted today.  A fool & their money will soon be parted!!!

You obviously have trouble reading since each ship clearly has LESS passengers 

• Like 1

Perusing these threads, I can’t help but feel that the “Old Guard” - John  Maxtone Graham’s term- not mine are expecting the OG Crystal to rise from the ashes and be exactly what it was before. If you don’t know who JMG was, Google him.

The future Crystal is just Crystal in name only - new management, new staff, same but different ships, similar itineraries, vague onboard services. Will the “Old Guard” be suitably impressed with the new Crystal? This whole thing reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode “Passage on the Lady Anne”, where it was the Lady Anne or nothing. Regardless, new Crystal is going to have to convince a large amount of new breed new passengers willing to sail on older ships at high prices in order for some kind of mid to longer term success.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Its probably more advantageous to think about all those CRYSTAL CRUISES passengers that were  burnt by the collapse / bankruptcy of the line & the many many passengers that were & are out thousands of dollars in  booking payments.

Buyer beware!!!

Genting passengers were "burnt by the collapse / bankruptcy of the line & the many many passengers that were & are out thousands of dollars in  booking payments". There are no A & K passengers yet.

Many new cruise lines have received (and future passengers have gladly paid) deposits on an unknown product (for example, Explora, Ritz Carlton ((just recently actually sailed)) and Four Seasons in the near future). Those people made intelligent decisions based on known factors (A & K, Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons'  history of providing a first class product).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Buyer beware!!!

Do you ever have anything nice or positive to say about a cruise line you have never sailed?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AtA said:

Some people have no clue how to be positive.

Maybe with reason -- With uninspiring itineraries like this for a Quebec to Miami cruise (no stops in Canada) -- they should fire the new director setting these up.  Was looking for a Quebec cruise to maybe replace same on SS but no way.... and this is for 2024...

cfacd32ec2dcd202ff7ca7c38c10402e3f4886ba-1512x1200.webp

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Maybe with reason -- With uninspiring itineraries like this for a Quebec to Miami cruise (no stops in Canada) -- they should fire the new director setting these up.  Was looking for a Quebec cruise to maybe replace same on SS but no way.... and this is for 2024...

Which SS ship is doing Quebec in 2024? If it's the Whisper, save your money.

13 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I think a lot of people would want an East Coast trip - only do Quebec cause they have to do non-US stops.  Also, as I said on another thread some ports in Canada and US maybe entirely booked since Crystal was late in the booking they couldn't get space.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AtA said:

Which SS ship is doing Quebec in 2024? If it's the Whisper, save your money.

Doing it 2023.  Shadow. We been on her before. 

25 minutes ago, ctjon said:

I think a lot of people would want an East Coast trip - only do Quebec cause they have to do non-US stops.  Also, as I said on another thread some ports in Canada and US maybe entirely booked since Crystal was late in the booking they couldn't get space.

This search was in 2024.  If doing a fall colors cruise, what are you going to see stopping in Boston and New York Only.   And those other ports of Norfolk and Jacksonville,  Yuck... (lived in both when I worked for the Air Force and Navy)

Just pointing out that what they offering is not very attractive from a itinerary point of view.  If you just want a "Crystal Experience" fine -- but it is an unknown.  But even the pricing comparison fails with the competition (SS).  SS, Seabourn, Regent are big known to us.  New Crystal.

I hope they succeed, but past Glory does not make a new business.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3

We’re booked (thanks to our very patient TA) on 2023 version from Quebec City to Miami. We will have stops in St. John, Halifax, Boston, Newport, NYC. We did a similar itinerary several years ago and enjoyed it. We felt this would be a great way to experience the new Crystal with easier air travel. With so many sea days, we will certainly get to know what the enrichment and entertainment is like. Hopefully, it will be as terrific as it was before. Looking forward to it!

• Like 2

As much as I want to try the new Crystal, I agree that the NE/Canada itineraries are sub-standard for my taste.  Maybe it's because Crystal couldn't arrange more desirable ports on short notice, as was mentioned by ctjon. 

In any event, I found two itineraries on SB Quest that are excellent if you're interested in the smaller, more authentic Canadian ports, as well as going all the way to Montreal (which, unfortunately, Serenity doesn't/can't do). 

(As a side-note, the SB website shows gaps in its fall 2024 NE/Canada itinerary, but in actuality there are similar bookable cruises there, it's just that the website is incorrect. I called Seabourn directly and they were able to give me the correct schedule).

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Seabourn, which is NOT my favorite cruise line, has amazing itineraries with unusual ports. It has always been the case.  For example, we are stopping in several ports on the Turquoise Coast in April.  No one else goes there.

40 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

As much as I want to try the new Crystal, I agree that the NE/Canada itineraries are sub-standard for my taste.  Maybe it's because Crystal couldn't arrange more desirable ports on short notice, as was mentioned by ctjon. 

In any event, I found two itineraries on SB Quest that are excellent if you're interested in the smaller, more authentic Canadian ports, as well as going all the way to Montreal (which, unfortunately, Serenity doesn't/can't do). 

(As a side-note, the SB website shows gaps in its fall 2024 NE/Canada itinerary, but in actuality there are similar bookable cruises there, it's just that the website is incorrect. I called Seabourn directly and they were able to give me the correct schedule).

1.jpg

2.jpg

The first itinerary pic posted - WOW! As a Canadian I think that is an example of exceptional itinerary planning, including the very rare call at St. Pierre et Miquelon - sure beats Jacksonville as a port stop.

Also, Holland America is stepping up its itinerary game. This year they have a unique round trip Boston going to Newfoundland, and in 2024 they are offering a 28 day roundtrip Alaska cruise. 

Since I live in the Portland, ME area I'd love to see Crystal stop in Maine.   I normally go down to the dock and greet passengers and crew when they disembark.   It isn't a big port and that time of year is usually pretty full

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

The first itinerary pic posted - WOW! As a Canadian I think that is an example of exceptional itinerary planning, including the very rare call at St. Pierre et Miquelon - sure beats Jacksonville as a port stop.

Also, Holland America is stepping up its itinerary game. This year they have a unique round trip Boston going to Newfoundland, and in 2024 they are offering a 28 day roundtrip Alaska cruise. 

Crystal had a cruise that stopped at St. Pierre et Miquelon in 2018. Since we were anchored and the weather was past atrocious, I didn't get off. When it comes to weather, you pay your money and take your chances.

Patty

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Crystal had a cruise that stopped at St. Pierre et Miquelon in 2018. Since we were anchored and the weather was past atrocious, I didn't get off. When it comes to weather, you pay your money and take your chances.

Patty

Or you accept the basic port of Jacksonville. I would rather take my chances on the French protectorate of St. Pierre. What can you do at at Jacksonville or Norfolk that you can’t do at home. Lunch at the Olive Garden or Denny’s on these days would not appeal to me.

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Or you accept the basic port of Jacksonville. I would rather take my chances on the French protectorate of St. Pierre. What can you do at at Jacksonville or Norfolk that you can’t do at home. Lunch at the Olive Garden or Denny’s on these days would not appeal to me.

Be that as it may, we were on Quest for that exact itinerary this past September. Sadly, Hurricane Fiona had other ideas, and we never left the St. Lawrence River. The most exciting thing we did was buy a box of TimBits in a Tim Hortons in Gaspe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Be that as it may, we were on Quest for that exact itinerary this past September. Sadly, Hurricane Fiona had other ideas, and we never left the St. Lawrence River. The most exciting thing we did was buy a box of TimBits in a Tim Hortons in Gaspe!

We were on the Whisper when Fiona decided to visit and we were in Boston for 2 1/2 days. Then they went south to sit it out in Cape Cod Bay. And instead of having a full day in Quebec, they decided to have a stop in one of the small ports. Can't even remember which one, but a day in Quebec would have been a lot more interesting.

I’ve used many words over the past month about former crew returning.  While I never said all because all are not returning, I know for sure whether we say, a lot, many, majority, lots that each of these descriptions applies. I expect it will be like it was in the past where if you didn’t sail for a year or two you would still know most of the crew.  This makes me happy because one of the major reasons we cruised with Crystal all these years is the crew.  I know many feel the same way.  I think crew returning say a lot about their view of the new Crystal. 

As to time will tell. Of course, time will tell who returns because none of us know precisely who every person is who will return, but I don’t need time to tell me that we will know so many of the crew when Crystal restarts. 

As to the new Crystal, time will tell what that is like. Those of us returning will decide for ourselves.  What I do know is every year I sailed Crystal it always evolved and there were many changes over those years. In fact, literally 100’s.  

I expect that there will be many things I like about the new Crystal and some things I may not.  That's not different than the old Crystal.  I also expect there will be some things I like even more.

One of them seems to have gotten lost. With less guests and the same amount of space inside and outside the ship, there will be more space per guest than ever before.  I am reminded capacity on both ships has declined in the past and this is another decline in overall guest capacity.  

One thing I am certain of, the new Crystal won't be perfect. They never were.   They will make mistakes as they did last week.  The old Crystal was not perfect either having made a number of mistakes. And of course, none of us is perfect either.  

What didn’t change IMHO was the uniqueness of the crew from all the other lines we ever sailed.  Sure, the actual members changed with some being there from the first time we sailed while many newcomers over the years.  Even with the changes in people the attributes of the crew and the things that made them so special to many of us never changed. For me, like a fine wine it got better over time.

For those who are skeptical I would only hope you would be happy for those who are excited to return as I am for whatever choices you make with Crystal. In the end, choice is great and each person can make their own choices without being told that they are right or wrong. I am very happy with the choices we make and hope you are too.

Bags are packed.  Ready to go. Can’t wait.  And life is good as for me there are many other things, I am spending my time doing which also makes me very happy.  I am not missing out on one thing.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3