New Crystal - the Good, the Bad and the Indifferent

claudiaYVR

Many on these boards cruise 10 times a year or more and one or two dud cruises (start-ups with lots of things still missing, crummy itineraries, etc.) is no big deal. It’s easy to just blow it off and get on the next cruise. The glass is half full for sure. 

We need to remember that a ton of people (maybe not on CC or maybe just lurkers here) cruise once every few years (due to other vacation venues, family responsibilities, limited time off, $$$, whatever) and a dud can be a big disappointment. 

JMO

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

We need to remember that a ton of people (maybe not on CC or maybe just lurkers here) cruise once every few years...and a dud can be a big disappointment.

Good point @Cruise-y.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

I was able to view the instagram post and sadly the room looks very much like the depiction we saw months ago. There is one tiny drawer at the top of the desk and only open shelves in the night tables instead of drawers. It appears that the only drawers are 2 drawers in the closet - significantly less storage space than on OC. Also it looks like the outlets near the bed are on the headboard but very low near the ground and will be obscured when the mattress(es) are in place against the headboard. This is a huge disappointment- OC had great storage space and I don’t see much improvement in additional outlets  which were greatly needed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ctjon said:

tells me page isn't available when I click on link

While I saw it yesterday for the first time, I was able to view this link as I have an instagram account….do you have an instagram account?

Nancy

9 minutes ago, May B said:

I still think we can’t see drawers between the desk and the wall.

Time will tell. For me, it’ll tell on Nov. 2nd, if all goes according to plan.

I watched the video again and there are definitely four drawers between the wall with the window and the front of the desk.

There are drawers at the desk/vanity next to the door.  It's still a big reduction from old Crystal. It will work for me as a solo traveler, but storage is an issue for a couple.

Patty

P.S. Muriel, we were posting at the same time.

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 1

Patty, you are right .. I see the 4 small drawers near the sliders now - still less storage than OC and not a lot of additional outlets. It’s hard to see but I don’t see any USB outlets. I’m hoping that somebody on the July 31st cruise will post detailed photos !

42 minutes ago, nancygp said:

While I saw it yesterday for the first time, I was able to view this link as I have an instagram account….do you have an instagram account?

Nancy

No I don't se -

Also, where’s the mini fridge and bar stuff going to go?? Is it possible a new cabinet will be added to the right of the desk? Does anyone know what the small brass thingies on the top corners of the headboard are?

4 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Also, where’s the mini fridge and bar stuff going to go?? Is it possible a new cabinet will be added to the right of the desk? Does anyone know what the small brass thingies on the top corners of the headboard are?

Hadn't even thought about that. Good question!

Patty

I looked at the floor plan for the cabin and I think I answered my own question. There does not seem to be a placeholder for mini fridge or bar stuff cabinet anywhere and, as others have pointed out, a lot less storage all around. Sillyme thinks form took precedence over function in this decision 😞

4 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

I looked at the floor plan for the cabin and I think I answered my own question. There does not seem to be a placeholder for mini fridge or bar stuff cabinet anywhere and, as others have pointed out, a lot less storage all around. Sillyme thinks form took precedence over function in this decision 😞

That would be very disappointing if there's no fridge (even tho it never kept things as cool as a real fridge). Haven't been on a cruise ship of any level since the old Holland Americas around 2007-2008 that didn't have a cabin fridge. I looked and none of the cabins have a fridge listed so maybe there will be ones. 

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

There does not seem to be a placeholder for mini fridge or bar stuff cabinet anywhere😞

Incredibly unlikely - would you seriously think they wouldn’t provide a fridge to keep drinks cold in the room?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

Incredibly unlikely - would you seriously think they wouldn’t provide a fridge to keep drinks cold in the room?

I thought it incredibly unlikely until I saw the video and the floor plan. No fridge or anything resembling room for one. So I'm glad I was wrong.

Edited by claudiaYVR
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

I thought it incredibly unlikely until I saw the video and the floor plan. No fridge or anything resembling room for one. So I'm glad I was wrong.

The room isn't finished yet. 

• Like 2

I know many of you natural beauties hop out of the shower, towel dry, and rush out to face the world.  But I am old and I need grooming before I inflict myself on others.  I utilized the drawers which were on each side of the desk/vanity on OC to store my curlers, combs, brushes, mirror, curling iron, makeup. etc.  The drawers on the left held iPad, phone, and chargers.  There was a place for everything and everything was in its place.  I could sit there before supper with my wine, watching the TV, and "fix" myself.  Crystal, if you read this, please---we need drawers!  Depending on the climate, I may need drawers for socks, gloves, and scarves..  I put important papers in a drawer.  Medicines go in a drawer.  Please,  add drawers to your plans.  Julia

• Like 5