The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 4th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

39 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That would help a lot Vanessa.  I agree, the person posting should be up early on the East Coast.  Unless you're John @Copper10-8who stays up until the early hours West Coast time).  Someone will help, don't worry.

Thanks, I agree we need an early riser to get things going.  It will all work out.

I think it sounds legit.  Maybe they just don't want their full names on the web.

Rich, that was Graham.  I feel like a detective and hope Graham doesn't mind, but all I did was click on his name and check his activity like I do when I copy and paste the previous dates you posted our destination of the day.  It shows the P&O thread called "What Are Things Like Where You Are?"  The second one was Royal Caribbean and it's basically the same "How Are Things Where You Are?  

Thanks Sandi.

The Royal Caribbean one is by the lovely Dani from Israel.

The P&O is by Host Sharon.

I have posted on both from the beginning.

Graham. 

• Like 7

Good afternoon from partly cloudy central Texas where it is 56F.  Since it's a little warmer today, I think supper tonight will be catfish, breaded okra, and hushpuppies cooked in the air fryer.  It's an easy and light meal that will go with the wine on hand.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

The parfait was delicious 

DD38660A-B738-4213-9EB7-124F9B41FA20.jpeg

Wow, that is a big parfait!  Glad you could finish it.

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

We did the same tour only our bus broke down on the land portion --- had to wait for a replacement bus & that led to having to miss the sea portion --- no refund/no make-up excursion....next time we booked the same excursion, the port was cancelled for 2 medical evacs....had to go to PV to disembark those passengers.

We were surprised we got the free tour since we just wanted them to know what had happened.  We were lucky to talk to Nyron, the ShoreEx Manager, who is the best one we've worked with and is currently with Rich @richwmn  on the world cruise.  If we had not been doing the b2b canal cruises, I doubt we would have gotten anything.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. It is warming a bit here....today's high should be about 45F and the temp when I walked the dogs earlier was 22F which felt absolutely balmy for early morning. We still have lots of snow on the ground.... if a groundhog had tried to emerge on the 2nd he should have needed  a shovel to make his way upward through 2 feet of snow. We will take as much sun as we can get right now although we do need more moisture for this winter's snow pack.

Talked with the vet yesterday about little Monty and he went over the ultrasound with me. It looks really good. We will just watch him for awhile. He seems to have a lot of psychological issues. Wish he could tell me about his past. I don't think it was good.

The meal of the day looks good in all variations. I think a cheeseburger pie is in order next week. And Huatulco is one of my favorite ports when doing the Panama Canal cruises. Need to think about these again.

Didn't get taxes done yesterday so that is next on my list for this morning. They should be pretty straight forward. Then off to the shelter to walk dogs, something I have not been doing much of due to the ice and the fact that most of the dogs we have right now are on the large size. The little dogs get adopted fast but the larger dogs tend to linger.

Take care all.

Susan

Susan, I hope Monty's condition, for want of a better word, clears up without medical intervention.  Be careful when walking the dogs.  FWIW, our younger DD and her SO adopted two medium/medium-large dogs.

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Long story about our first visit there, 2004, only our second cruise. We were on (old) Regal Princess, LA to FL. Left Huatulco 1pm headed to Costa Rica. Headed into stormy weather across the Bay of Tehuantepec +20’ waves, +70 winds…. Then a critical medical emergency onboard. Captain turned us towards Santa Cruz It was just before first dinner seating. Ship leaned so bad they lost all the place settings, 1100 glasses on the MDR floor. The liquor shelves in the bars, and the perfume and figurines shops had high losses. TVs came off walls. In our room the water glasses slid and shattered. No serious injuries!  MDR cleaned up and reset in 25 minutes!  
BUT Santa Cruz port closed!  So we had to head back to Huatulco!  Disembarked the patient and left again, 1am. Lost 12 hours. Had to miss Costa Rica port so as to make our Canal time. Oh well…. BUT many passengers were livid. Petitions going around questioning  credentials of medical officer, demanding his resignation!  As an EMT I was stunned!  Wrote a letter of appreciation to the Captain. Got invited to a personal Bridge tour! Yay for me!  And we heard the patient was air lifted to Houston with a good prognosis.  

Maureen

Maureen, I'm not surprised at the selfish passengers and their petitions.  In April 2003, we did  a cruise from Bangkok to Rome shortly after the invasion of Iraq and the SARS epidemic broke out.  We had many ports canceled and replaced, and most passengers were understanding.  However, when Ephesus and Istanbul were canceled, two lawyers started petitions to reinstate the two ports.  We were surprised at the number of people who signed them, and that the ship provided a table in the atrium for the signing.  BTW, it was also the old Regal Princess.  Maybe it was something about the ship.  😉

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As for posting from the ship I don't think I should attempt that.  We don't know how well the internet will be and don't want a lot of confusion each morning.  So since several people asked if I needed help I'm sure there will be offers again.  I can do it through Thursday if necessary but we leave way too early Friday to do it since we have a 650 mile drive ahead of us.  The Daily and Fleet Report isn't difficult since Rich did all the work setting it up.  Just copy and paste it from the halfacts.com/Daily site.  The Care and Celebration lists require someone keep up on everyone's posting.  Make notes and prepare it by evening, and then copy and paste it from a word document.  If two people want to help they could split it up and do one or the other.  I'll leave it up to all of you to decide who has the time and inclination!  Thanks in advance everyone.

It really is green isn't it?  Thank Steve for sharing it.  And thanks for the Huatulco photos today.

Sandi, I think even being in the central time zone, and not getting up too early, rules me out for starting the Daily.  However, I can find Rich's links and repost your pictures while you are cruising.  It just means the links will be posted later than normal.  

Yes, it is really green.

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

How amazing! I was hoping you would be lucky! Thank you for sharing!

Ann, it is amazing, and we were concerned that the clouds would hang around until the comet was gone.  We were very lucky to have such a clear sky last night.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

By folks with no knowledge of the patient’s condition or the medical resources available? I suppose they would have let the patient die rather than have any inconvenience themselves?

Paul, those people are probably the ones who get along with Miss I Can't Eat That.  🤣

56 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

No ice cream here to eat for breakfast, and good as it sounds, I shouldn't anyway!  The meal sounds good to me, especially the last recipe.  I just need to see if I have any Bisquick because it isn't something I usually have on hand.  I'd like the wine if someone else is buying, pass on the pumpkin spice drink.  

Yesterday I got all the walls taped and prepped, furniture moved, and ready to start painting today.  Can't back out now!  DH also got more paint, because I think I'll do the guest bathroom right off that area too.

A few days ago I got an email from what looked like it really was from HAL, I'll post it below.  What do you think?  I said I would do it, (sending no private info). It then said I would hear from someone about the group and then a day or two later got an email from "Amber" to join this group giving opinions.  Something just seems off to me, why "Amber" and not someone's whole name if they are in fact with HAL?  What do you think?

Holland America Line  

Your Opinion Matters
Dear CAROLYN,

As a valued Holland America Line guest, you're invited to join the private Holland America Line insider community!

Participation in the online community offers a unique opportunity to regularly share your thoughts and opinions with Holland America. It is a space for you and other guests to provide feedback through polls and surveys, test new ideas to improve the guest experience, and participate in your own discussions with like-minded guests. It is an opportunity to exchange comments about your experiences and initiate ideas about the latest in cruising and travel with Holland America Line.

Please click the survey link below to express your interest in participating.  We hope you'll join us!
TAKE THE SURVEY
Sincerely,
Holland America Line
This email may install a cookie or similar technology. For information about our use of cookies, please consult our privacy policy.
Please add Holland America to your address book or safe sender list.
Unsubscribe  |  Contact Us  |  Legal and Privacy
© 2001 – 2021 Holland America Line N.V., 450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119
www.hollandamerica.com

And this came from "Amber".  Has anyone heard of Crowdstack??

proxy?source=https%3A%2F%2Fhollandamerica.crowdstack.io%2FfileSendAction%2FfcType%2F11%2FfcOid%2F607207157889683775%2Ffodoid%2F607207157889683776%2FimageType%2FLARGE%2FinlineImage%2Ftrue%2FbypassCheckAuth%2Ftrue%2FemailHash%2FA7B1A4320A5E74ECEE82A184DC82BF24%2FHAL_Logo_wTagline_FINAL_10-21-15_SM.png

Invitation to Join Holland America Line Private Community

You've been invited by Amber to join the Crowdstack listed below.

Message From Amber

Thanks for your interest in the Holland America Line insiders community. Just follow the instructions here to get started. We can't wait to meet you!

[ JOIN NOW ]

Please do not reply to this email.

Terry @smitty34877that's great news that Tana's appetite is coming back.

Joy @Seasick SailorOh no on the fall!  I hope the pain isn't too bad and goes away before long.

Roy @rafinmdSo glad to hear you had a better night!

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserThank you thank you and your DH for the Green Comet photo.  As always, our clouds rolled in the day before the comet became visible so I really appreciate this.

Carolyn, good luck with the painting.  After what Maureen, @RMLincoln said about the survey and email disappearing, I would be a little leery about filling it out.

42 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

The ship has been rocking since yesterday evening and sick bags have just appeared in the stairwells. I’m not prone to motion sickness but I’m not altogether steady on my feet. Other than that it doesn’t bother me.

Paul, please be careful walking around the ship.

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I see now. I just looked and the RCI version has 3440 pages and P&O has 1700. We have one as well with about 20 pages. When Covid first started the hosts started those pages for all lines, probably to keep up interest. The Daily was well established at that time, so ours didn't take off. Some of the forums still have them, some don't.

Rich, I looked at those pages quite a while ago, and thought they were too long and hard to follow.  You created a very unique and friendly thread that we all love.  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Amazing photos Lenda.

Graham.

Thank you, Graham.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our deserts at lunch.

IMG_20230204_125342.jpg

Mmmm!  Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?

18 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Maureen, I'm not surprised at the selfish passengers and their petitions.  In April 2003, we did  a cruise from Bangkok to Rome shortly after the invasion of Iraq and the SARS epidemic broke out.  We had many ports canceled and replaced, and most passengers were understanding.  However, when Ephesus and Istanbul were canceled, two lawyers started petitions to reinstate the two ports.  We were surprised at the number of people who signed them, and that the ship provided a table in the atrium for the signing.  BTW, it was also the old Regal Princess.  Maybe it was something about the ship.  😉

Sandi, I think even being in the central time zone, and not getting up too early, rules me out for starting the Daily.  However, I can find Rich's links and repost your pictures while you are cruising.  It just means the links will be posted later than normal.  

Yes, it is really green.

Lenda

Your Regal Princess cruise sounds like one our friends in Arizona took back then.  I wonder if you guys were on the same cruise?  She mentioned SARS and having 7, 8 or 9 ports cancelled. 

Don't worry about not being able to start the Daily.  I agree with you that it needs to be done by an early riser on the East Coast.  But if you see I haven't been able to post photos, please do go ahead and share mine.  I've asked DH to load my ports of the day spreadsheet on his mini laptop which he takes on cruises, so I can search for the dates they were posted before.  If needed that is.  If I don't make it on the internet you can always fill in for me.  

• Like 11

@Heartgrovehow are your DW and DSIL doing now?  You said DSIL was negative, but yesterday DW was not. And how about yourself?  Can we have an update?

And @luvteachingis your DH released from hospital, to go to rehab yet?  Sorry, just trying to update our lists.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Mmmm!  Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?

Your Regal Princess cruise sounds like one our friends in Arizona took back then.  I wonder if you guys were on the same cruise?  She mentioned SARS and having 7, 8 or 9 ports cancelled. 

Don't worry about not being able to start the Daily.  I agree with you that it needs to be done by an early riser on the East Coast.  But if you see I haven't been able to post photos, please do go ahead and share mine.  I've asked DH to load my ports of the day spreadsheet on his mini laptop which he takes on cruises, so I can search for the dates they were posted before.  If needed that is.  If I don't make it on the internet you can always fill in for me.  

'Sandi, it could have been the same cruise.  We had 13 original ports, and six were canceled and replaced and one was changed for operational reasons, but to the same main city.  The cruise was in early April, and it was iffy if we would go, but decided to take a chance.  Even getting to the ship was a problem if you were fly independently through certain airports.  It is one cruise we remember and enjoyed.

I'll gladly fill in if you can't get on the internet.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That would help a lot Vanessa.  I agree, the person posting should be up early on the East Coast.  Unless you're John @Copper10-8who stays up until the early hours West Coast time).  Someone will help, don't worry.

Night owl here, on the look out for balloons approaching the left coast from the west; 🤓 what can I do for you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

5 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Way to go! Last tempting offer I had was ten years ago but not a time share. I was offered for free a two pound box of Godiva chocolates if I test drove a new BMW. That box of chocolates almost cost me $50,000! 

A friend had a burned-out lightbulb in the cabin of his RV. He went to the dealership to have it replaced and drove home with a new $200,000 motorhome that they drove around the country for a few years after he retired. That was an expensive bulb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  Okay, so our temperatures have definitely warmed up - enough for it to snow.  And snow.  And snow.  I've shoveled 3 times today and it's getting a little old.  When we were at the doctor the other day, DH was told he shouldn't be shoveling any more and the doctor actually said "Get your wife to do it."  I told him I was already doing the lion's share, and would gladly do the rest.  Talk about being sassy with patients!

@Seasick SailorJoy, I'm sorry to hear you've fallen again - twice in one week is too much.  I think you should get yourself checked out, just to be sure nothing is broken, and don't wait too long for the pain to become intolerable before doing something about it!

@kazuwe often have frost quakes in our house during the winter months.  The attic is directly above our bedroom, and occasionally it sounds like a gun is going off in the middle of the night.  What's really frightening though, is hearing a frost quake on a lake when you're out there ice fishing.  The first thing you do is look down to see that you've still got solid ice beneath you!

@rafinmdI'm happy to know you had a better night - slow and steady, though, and you should do well.  Regarding how much your 5 star pin must have cost - when we achieved our 4 star status, I said "Woo hoo, free laundry!"  DH replied "Ger, do you have any idea how much that free laundry has cost?"   Killjoy!  LOL

I hope everyone is having a good afternoon - take care and we'll see each other tomorrow!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yesterday I slipped on our tile floor and hit my elbow and rib. Don't know if I bruised a rib or pulled a muscle, but it hurts like 😫 Very difficult to get my sweetheart up and ready. 

We definitely need an 🤕OUCH🤕 emoji response button! @Seasick Sailor I hope time heals and no serious injuries are found!

EAT ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST DAY reminds me of DH in his prime. On a multi-week tour of New Zealand, DH discovered his love of NZ's famous Hokey Pokey ice cream flavor. (A flavor many of HAL's current World Cruisers are enjoying.) In his prime, DH could eat ice cream anywhere, anytime. So, it quickly became the joke that while the group (including yours truly) gathered at a local establishment for a pub meal plus a pint, DH would disappear and then rejoin us Hokey Pokey filled cone in hand. And, by the end of the tour, the pub group's numbers dwindled as the 'Hokey Pokey Pied Piper' led more and more astray...

Oh, the good memories,

-Melisa

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Night owl here, on the look out for balloons approaching the left coast from the west; 🤓 what can I do for you?

Sorry, John!  Did I wake you?  😁  Actually we were discussing who would post the Daily (and maybe the maps too) for us when I leave Friday for Fort Lauderdale.  Will be gone 8 days.  I said an early riser on the East Coast would be ideal  -- unless you're a West Coaster who stays up half the night like @Copper10-8.    But we've got time to enlist someone since I will handle it until I leave, unless Roy is feeling like his old self and demands it back by then.  He's the editor in chief while Rich is gone.🧐

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

In response to @Copper10-8, I'm in Charlotte, and the balloon flew over us this morning, and some of our neighboring counties have a bit of a rougher reputation and their law enforcement alerts were telling them to not try to shoot it down!  As it got closer to the coast, I'm sure a lot of those residents tried to shoot it themselves because they have an even rougher reputation - full of hunters and lots of people with no fear.  The balloon made it out over the Atlantic and a couple of F-22's got it.  The airports in Charleston and Myrtle Beach, SC and in Wilmington, NC were shut down.  The Coast Guard and Navy are in the area to try to retrieve the debris.  It was all quite a-buzz here this morning.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry, John!  Did I wake you?  😁  Actually we were discussing who would post the Daily (and maybe the maps too) for us when I leave Friday for Fort Lauderdale.  Will be gone 8 days.  I said an early riser on the East Coast would be ideal  -- unless you're a West Coaster who stays up half the night like @Copper10-8.    But we've got time to enlist someone since I will handle it until I leave, unless Roy is feeling like his old self and demands it back by then.  He's the editor in chief while Rich is gone.🧐

Happy to do it during that time; just let me know

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

In response to @Copper10-8, I'm in Charlotte, and the balloon flew over us this morning, and some of our neighboring counties have a bit of a rougher reputation and their law enforcement alerts were telling them to not try to shoot it down!  As it got closer to the coast, I'm sure a lot of those residents tried to shoot it themselves because they have an even rougher reputation - full of hunters and lots of people with no fear.  The balloon made it out over the Atlantic and a couple of F-22's got it.  The airports in Charleston and Myrtle Beach, SC and in Wilmington, NC were shut down.  The Coast Guard and Navy are in the area to try to retrieve the debris.  It was all quite a-buzz here this morning.

Thanks for that info, KingD! Last I heard it was up at 65,000 ft. No one is going to shoot it down with a hunting rifle from the ground at that altitude. It hasn't been authenticated yet, but someone, perhaps that Raptor fighter jock, can be heard saying "Pop, goes the weasel" after the kill 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@Cruising-along I got that email too. Started the survey. It seemed legit. Then partway into it, it evaporated!  Said come back in 10 minutes and try again. I went back to email for the link and the email was gone too. Very strange. I’ll watch for email from Amber 😉

That is strange, Maureen.  I had no problem with that part, but the email from "Amber" has me wondering...Please let us know if you hear from "Amber" (or you may hear from some other name). 😄

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, good luck with the painting.  After what Maureen, @RMLincoln said about the survey and email disappearing, I would be a little leery about filling it out.

Lenda

Thanks Lenda, I'm taking a lunch break from painting.  I'm not as fast as Debbie @dfishbut I've made a good start.  

I agree, Maureen's experience has me even more leery than I was already. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

A friend had a burned-out lightbulb in the cabin of his RV. He went to the dealership to have it replaced and drove home with a new $200,000 motorhome that they drove around the country for a few years after he retired. That was an expensive bulb.

Thank goodness DH changes the lightbulbs and does other repairs on the motorhome.  🤣

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

We definitely need an 🤕OUCH🤕 emoji response button! @Seasick Sailor I hope time heals and no serious injuries are found!

EAT ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST DAY reminds me of DH in his prime. On a multi-week tour of New Zealand, DH discovered his love of NZ's famous Hokey Pokey ice cream flavor. (A flavor many of HAL's current World Cruisers are enjoying.) In his prime, DH could eat ice cream anywhere, anytime. So, it quickly became the joke that while the group (including yours truly) gathered at a local establishment for a pub meal plus a pint, DH would disappear and then rejoin us Hokey Pokey filled cone in hand. And, by the end of the tour, the pub group's numbers dwindled as the 'Hokey Pokey Pied Piper' led more and more astray...

Oh, the good memories,

-Melisa

DH also discovered Hokey Pokey ice cream in NZ.

Lenda

• Like 15

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, time for a quick check-in.  Okay, so our temperatures have definitely warmed up - enough for it to snow.  And snow.  And snow.  I've shoveled 3 times today and it's getting a little old.  When we were at the doctor the other day, DH was told he shouldn't be shoveling any more and the doctor actually said "Get your wife to do it."  I told him I was already doing the lion's share, and would gladly do the rest.  Talk about being sassy with patients!

@Seasick SailorJoy, I'm sorry to hear you've fallen again - twice in one week is too much.  I think you should get yourself checked out, just to be sure nothing is broken, and don't wait too long for the pain to become intolerable before doing something about it!

@kazuwe often have frost quakes in our house during the winter months.  The attic is directly above our bedroom, and occasionally it sounds like a gun is going off in the middle of the night.  What's really frightening though, is hearing a frost quake on a lake when you're out there ice fishing.  The first thing you do is look down to see that you've still got solid ice beneath you!

@rafinmdI'm happy to know you had a better night - slow and steady, though, and you should do well.  Regarding how much your 5 star pin must have cost - when we achieved our 4 star status, I said "Woo hoo, free laundry!"  DH replied "Ger, do you have any idea how much that free laundry has cost?"   Killjoy!  LOL

I hope everyone is having a good afternoon - take care and we'll see each other tomorrow!

I am thinking sassy doctor, just saying. LOL. 😝

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  And much as I would love to help out, I am a late riser at the best of times, and often don't get down to my computer until after lunch.  Today we had errands to run, and spent some time organizing our week in Ireland after the cruise in April.  We will be having lunch with @VMax1700 in Kinsale!  And booking hotels all over County Cork - things book up fast, even in April.

@ottahand7, the amazing thing about Deception Island is that the sand is warm, if you dig down, even hot, and the warmer water kills the krill, which the birds think is wonderful - all that pink stuff along the shore.  

Penguin footprints in the warm snow...

P1000667.thumb.JPG.20b0fa087f90b8323593eb89bb2c184b.JPG

And the birds enjoying the krill, with the abandoned whaling stuff in the background.

P1010730.thumb.JPG.994811d03150a41b73636788e93018ac.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I am also willing to help out, if John @Copper10-8goes to bed early. 😎 If Vanessa will cover the Care/Celebration lists, I do the easy stuff. 

I do need to ask for you to keep my Sister in your prayers. We learned that her 44 year old son passed away today. He fought a long difficult battle with addiction, and though he seemed to have finally licked it for the past 5 years, it took its toll on his body. The medical examiner is doing an autopsy, but it appears that he passed peacefully.  He is survived by his 15 year old son, his Mother, a Sister, a Brother and several Aunts, Uncles and cousins.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 22

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am also willing to help out, if John @Copper10-8goes to bed early. 😎 If Vanessa will cover the Care/Celebration lists, I do the easy stuff. 

I do need to ask for you to keep my Sister in your prayers. We learned that her 44 year old son passed away today. He fought a long difficult battle with addiction, and though he seemed to have finally licked it for the past 5 years, it took its toll on his body. The medical examiner is doing an autopsy, but it appears that he passed peacefully.  He is survived by his 15 year old son, his Mother, a Sister, a Brother and several Aunts, Uncles and cousins.  

Deepest condolences you you and your sister’s family especially the 15 year old son.. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Ann, our sincere condolences to you, your sister and her family, especially her grandson on the death of her son.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I am so sorry to learn of your nephew's death. Condolences to you, your sister, your nephew's son and his siblings, as well as all of your family.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1