The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday February 4th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, Create a Vacuum Day, and Stuffed Mushroom Day

Unrest of spirit is a mark of life. - Karl A. Menninger

Meal Suggestion for today - Ground Beef Meat Pie
Drink of the Day - Pumpkin Spice White Russian
Wine of the Day - HdV Chardonnay Napa Valley Hyde Vineyard 2019
Destination of the Day - Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 2-05

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii eta 2-06

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

Volendam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 2-06

Zaandam

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Melbourne, Victoria Australia eta 2-08

Westerdam

Phuket, Thailand 08:00 Arrive

Zuiderdam

Wellington, New Zealand 09:00 - 23:00

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLuqj7pWBnM1RjRYv7NwUqaldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675504622

Caribbean view with Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam and Zaandam arriving in Fort Lauderdale00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIw9gyaWqS-TLppMj8nSKszVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675504916

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Care and Celebrations lists for Saturday, February 4, 2023

Today’s care list:

RIP Hal Sailer’s DSIL 2/3/23

Roy recovering at home but still weak

Jacqui still with splint on problem elbow

Sarah still feeling under the weather

Marshhawk’s cat Neko with health problem

From the rotation:

Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement

Status of Scrapnana
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Heartgrove’s DW and DSIL turning the corner

Luvteaching DH making further progress in hospital

Aliaschief in Cancun until 2/14
Redneck Bob in Houston for DGS wedding

1 day for Dobiemom (Norwegian Encore 2/5 to 2/12)
3 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena 2/7 to 2/19)

3 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Marina 2/7 to 4/6)

7 days for StLouisCruisers (Sky Princess 2/11 to 2/18)

0106 (Rotterdam 2/4 to 2/15), Kochleffel (Norwegian Getaway to 2/6), Lindaler and Ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s a very cold start to the day, -9F.  Tomorrow it should be in the 40’s.  Last night I found out we have free HBO this weekend so we can watch some movies while we stay warm.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I think I’d like it, I look forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

My girls vote for chicken, so do the boys.
image.png.523040794dbeb0924b277ad9a135b23d.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 20

Good morning friends!  Pretty cold morning here in north central Georgia at 29F but we'll be sunny and 50 this afternoon.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn, the creator of the Daily content who is enjoying his World Cruise right now.  And a shoutout to Roy @rafinmdthe usual poster of the Daily who we hope is sleeping and gaining his strength back after his bout of pneumonia.

Today we have the great National Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast day which I would do if no one was watching.  Create a Vacuum Day sounds like too much work!  Stuffed Mushroom Day is fine with me but don't know why we need a day for it!  Instead let's have ground beef meat pies as our menu suggestion.  I'm sure Debbie @dfishwill have some tasty recipes for that.  No thanks to the drink or chardonnay.  Today our destination is Huatulco (La Crucecita), Mexico.  We've enjoyed posting about Huatulco twice before on October 22, 2021 and March 13, 2022.  I'll add Rich's posts for those days in case you would like to go back and get your previously posted photos.  I'll add my photos too.

Prayers for our friends and family listed on the Care list.  Top of the list is @HAL Sailer's DSIL who passed away early yesterday.  Then of course Roy @rafinmd, Jacqui @kazuwho is waiting for faster healing of that elbow, Sarah who is not as well as she first indicated but hopefully feeling better this weekend, and Tana who is bravely struggling with her pulmonary and GI problems.  Prayers for the Ukrainians still fighting for their freedom.  🙏  Happy days for the Celebrations list.  Cheers for everyone cruising or getting ready to cruise.  The packing and journey to the ship are the worst parts of the process, but once everyone is on board the good times begin.🥂

We visited Huatulco, Mexico on our 2016 Westerdam Panama Canal cruise.  In my photo book of that cruise I referred to it as a real gem.  The area where the ships dock is developed for tourists and is near the town of La Crucecita.  We enjoyed all the shops, visiting the church and a restaurant for DH's beer.  But we also walked to the town center of La Crucecita.

Huatulco beach area with outdoor seating at restaurants.  Perfect calm spot for a dip to cool off.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAqz_sAhHKIOJS2Cj7MHJQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143685

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyJvp7_kgAcnjev02LAcUV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143689

I would guess these units are rentals for vacationers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVID-OxKkHK0hrKhSVLgJ5U7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143714

This place was kept very clean.  A really nice spot to shop.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKnfuQRDBxRPX6WOOiu4adm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143748

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJk90TPM2ZXmHoo7e5Bsthp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143762

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJD-irc6t71VlvLpO2GUr7r?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143767

It was miles to La Crucecita but that's how we keep the pounds off on our cruises.  Off we went!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIn2-RxeM9Hf5EH3k3-AY_d?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143780

I would estimate it took us 40 minutes to walk there.  The town was busy and clean.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaKhiR0otLEew6UuSaZekN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143829

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKBmkAbN-F3Sm0ykZWL8LvV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143844

Lots of nice restaurants to choose from.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLTUD6peE5sn1wJug1yUWSM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143819

Everything you needed surrounded the plaza including a Catholic church.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKfn4wgPor7nGBQKg_6RX24?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143872

Entrance to the church.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI0-e2YilSWGoIyeiTqB9o1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143912

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVh9KFOtpH8ytWY1dXMDt2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143934

It's nice to feel welcomed!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxlYofLaf_r-Xkv69HqX8L?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143944

After some time there, including shade time in the plaza, we headed back to the ship, walking down a different street to take in more of the views of Mexico.  Along the way we'd run into other cruisers asking us how far away La Crucecita was.  We gave directions and continued on. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYKUtDJBKG3Z989ywyqRBl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143966

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJX1xwDbkETmqM1rsJXsFbu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143973

We found a huge store that sold "everything" so peeked inside at the crowded aisles.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPo7o6vJ83Sn9Ik038J7HH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143979

Back at Huatulco we stopped to see the church. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIfW3_6aYYgsmlO0ASij0V9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460143988

The outdoor seating restaurant where DH enjoyed his beer and me a soft drink.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL858JlVO7ahZY9ykEfYvCe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144002

Our BHB, the Westerdam 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFh5n-mb6a0uucePKKUlrl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144007

Have a great Saturday and remainder of your weekend!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning! Yesterday was a very nice day but around 5:30 the skies opened up and we had a deluge! We had dinner reservations but cancelled as we would have gotten soaked even with rain jackets! Ate at one of our resort restaurants and it was pretty good. Received an alert on the phone that a cold front is coming our way. Checked out the hourly forecast and I guess today’s high of 75 is considered cold?

This morning we have to attend the dreaded time share sales pitch. We will not succumb and purchase more points. Anyway it doesn’t look like much of an outdoor activity day with more rain in forecast.

I believe we are going to today’s port of call on the Eurodam in April. 

Thanks Sandi and all who contribute. Have a great weekend.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.263c3c1486023263dba987736543438c.jpegimage.jpeg.28ce06487da0b0dd4b573ff74693fa49.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.40a0db5c64cf1af700988ea46961fd3b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e04c833ae64a8e57dbc1c2eb1c8b54c5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb31ad064f60180658e95a91bc558945.jpegimage.jpeg.3c2dab5491ddcef9bbff1e2a5dd439dd.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 19

Good Saturday morning. Sandi thank you for starting us off with the Daily and the Cares and Celebration reports.  Prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Kathi, Tana and Sarah and for the people of Ukraine.  

We had a late itinerary change last night when the captain came over the loudspeaker and announced our visit to Elephant Island was scrapped due to predicted 24' swells in the Drake Passage. We are now on our way to Deception Island and are due there shortly. I hope soon because there is a lecture on Shackleton at 10.  I was really happy to hear of the change to this unusually shaped island. It is a caldera of an active volcano and then to a chin strap penguin colony.  We will just pass the entrance of Deception Island.  

A few photos from yesterday's visit to Admiralty Bay. It has a large Brazilian base and a Peruvian base nicknamed Macchu Picchu. Waterfalls are only present for about one month each summer here. 

IMG_20230203_151829482_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_160515692_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_163214517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_164600198_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_164621952_HDR.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from a cold (-17°C) Southern Ontario.  Our Extreme Cold Warning has ended and we should warm up to -3°C this afternoon.🙂

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It's too cold for me to eat ice cream for breakfast - oh, maybe affogato al caffe might do the trick.

Stuffed mushrooms would be tasty but I don't think I can create a vacuum.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I'll pass on the drink, but hope the wine is good.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port, I've never been there.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

thanks for our Saturday Daily & Care/Celebration list, Sandi.  Much appreciated 👍 

Ice cream this morning?  You’d have to be crazy to eat ice cream here - it’s too cold for ice cream.  -46 C.  Despite leaving the heat on and the portable heater, the house is quite chilly this morning. Please don’t take offence by:

73E1F002-CB13-4E77-A480-5A9343AA3CFE.thumb.jpeg.3d0cc6104660ab25bb40961148da9b4b.jpeg

I’d love some stuffed mushrooms if someone would prepare the for me  - I can do some things one armed but that’s not one of them. 😉. Not sure that quote is true all of the time?

We visited today’s port the same year & ship as Sandi @StLouisCruisersbut a different cruise, unfortunately. Like her we went to the town but didn’t know it was walkable and took the shuttle.  I guess we were lazier than them 😉 

Just to show you can learn something new every day…I discovered that the loud bangs I heard on my deck and the walls of my house last night (loud enough to wake me up and go running to the door) are “frost quakes”.  I don’t think I remember that happening before.  But we are at the magic number to make it happen with it getting close to -50 off an on last night and today.

Seems a lot of people are having problems finding eggs.  They are available here but the price is skyrocketing.

DCDDC90C-084D-4F19-BF48-3ED437550775.thumb.jpeg.fdbd8ee00b2e560a2e725e27c5b45298.jpeg

A friend of mine is raising his own chickens and found a way to increase production

BE8A8D24-0E65-4697-8C09-B6E12EA67CFB.jpeg.42f33f9966837ff37606b734a57608dc.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list with extras for Roy, Kathi, Sarah & Tana & cheers to those celebrating 🥂 

7F66794A-B69F-49AA-9ECA-8DD5C6E8D4AD.thumb.jpeg.81c6fb98918ec366b3b7a3a1ce073749.jpeg

Have a great Saturday, everyone !!!!!

• Like 29
  • Haha 7

Pumpkin Spice White Russian cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Kamora® Coffee Liqueur
3 parts Pinnacle® Whipped® Vodka
1 part Pumpkin Spice Flavored Liquid Coffee Creamer
2 parts Milk
1/4 part Pumpkin Puree
Sprinkling Pumpkin Spice

Instructions
Combine coffee liqueur, vodka, Pumpkin Spice creamer and pumpkin puree in a tall glass; stir until well combined. Add ice. Top with milk and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 7.42.46 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 12

A big thank you to Sandi @StLouisCruisers for starting today's daily, including the fleet report's and various lists as well as fabulous photos of today's port.

I've eaten plenty of ice cream but never at breakfast.

Today's food and drink sound good.

Healing prayers for everyone who is poorly.

Take care friends and have a really great weekend.

Graham.

• Like 21

Thank you Sandi for taking caring of the Report & Daily by filling in for Roy & Rich - and still posting all your amazing pictures. You & Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserhave been so generous sharing all your pictures. 

Colder this morning. Temperatures took a nose dive yesterday in the middle of the morning. It was 71 when I walked out of my Doctor’s office, and 57 an hour later. And the wind! Still so much better than what so many of you are dealing with. My wellness visit went well. I need to watch my bad cholesterol which creeped up a couple of points to 100.

But the only area of real concern was the bone density of my left hip area. It has decreased significantly in two years. We think that the culprit might be the six months I spent recuperating and rehabbing from my fractured patella on my left knee. It would not have born as much weight or got as much use as usual.  So we are watching that and holding off on PT until we see the results of the next scan in two years.

Have any if you ever tried vibration therapy? My Doctor mentioned it as something that might help prevent further bone density loss. She said the jury is still out whether or not it helps increase bone density, but…. I know my gym has a machine, but one needs to use it for a short time every day in order to see results. 

Just Zumba for me today, Bindi walks and cleaning the outdoor furniture. Pollen season has started & friends are coming for supper. If the wind doesn’t die down, we will have to eat inside. 

ED7692D2-C693-4DF1-9151-5327B9622280.jpeg.2e89dda77612bc3abc0a7fa346daa3ef.jpeg

BC2352A6-CFFA-4513-A5A5-D92C8B5DA5EE.jpeg.de2afb1ad671616c5ffb614c4171fdcb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support: especially: Jacqui, Kathi, Roy, Sarah & Tana. Cheers to all who are celebrating! 

Get well & stay well everyone!

HdV Chardonnay Napa Valley Hyde Vineyard 2019

This Chardonnay sounds lovely, though the beeswax mention always stumps me. 🤔 Excellent - superb reviews, but a price just outside of my budget. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $67.99.

Winemaker Notes

#3 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

Refinement and purity are the hallmarks of this vintage. Aromas of yellow apple and mango skin are balanced by crisp minerality and notes of smoked almond. The palate showcases fresh, lime-like acidity and linear mouthfeel while being offset by tones of toasted Ezekiel bread and subtle hints of vanilla bean. While being expressive in its youth, we feel that the qualities of this wine are better realized with age.

JS96 James Suckling
Honeysuckle, oyster-shell and apple-pie aromas. Pears and lime sherbet, too. Flinty. Full-bodied, layered and integrated with fine phenolics. Some matchbox character comes through. Stemmy and spicy at the end from whole-cluster pressing. Wente and Calera clones. Drink or hold.
WS96 Wine Spectator

This stunning version offers a pure beam of white nectarine, mango and ripe Bartlett pear flavors that mingle with notes of pound cake, toasted, salted hazelnut and nutmeg on a supple, rich frame, which draws focus from a bright thread of acidity. Drink now.

RP96 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Chardonnay comes from vines in the Hyde Vineyard that are 25-40 years old and planted to Wente (60%) and Calera (40%) selections. Aged in about 15% new French oak, the nose is perfumed and pure, with scents of quince, apricot, beeswax, river stone and citrus blossoms. The palate offers a compelling dynamic of satiny, expansive fruits and fresh, focused acidity, and it has a long, nuanced finish. It will continue to unwind in bottle over the next 2-3 years and gain savory complexity over the next decade.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Received an alert on the phone that a cold front is coming our way. Checked out the hourly forecast and I guess today’s high of 75 is considered cold?

That made me laugh!   Hope the weather clears and you can enjoy your vacation.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  When our grandsons are here, I usually make them waffles with ice cream for breakfast for a treat.  There's a restaurant in the city where oatmeal with ice cream is on the menu - yum!  I won't create a vacuum, but I'll likely use one today; the dust bunnies are taking over.  I love stuffed mushrooms, but haven't had or made them in ages.

Well our temperatures have certainly changed; right now we're sitting at -7C (19F), and I feel bad for our friends in the east who are suffering in the frigid cold.  All I can say is stay indoors, drink lots of hot liquids and pile on the blankets!  Electric blankets can make a world of difference, if you have one.

Not a lot happening here today, although DH has said he'd like to check out a new thrift shop operated by the Mennonites.  They always do such good work in the community, helping people who really need it; I'd be happy to support their efforts.  

I like today's menu suggestion - it reminds me I haven't made cheeseburger pie for such a long time, but I've got a small beef roast thawing in the fridge that will go into the slow cooker along with potatoes, carrots, onions, etc., for a nice dinner to be enjoyed at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, a double yay for all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good Morning! Yesterday was a very nice day but around 5:30 the skies opened up and we had a deluge! We had dinner reservations but cancelled as we would have gotten soaked even with rain jackets! Ate at one of our resort restaurants and it was pretty good. Received an alert on the phone that a cold front is coming our way. Checked out the hourly forecast and I guess today’s high of 75 is considered cold?

This morning we have to attend the dreaded time share sales pitch. We will not succumb and purchase more points. Anyway it doesn’t look like much of an outdoor activity day with more rain in forecast.

I believe we are going to today’s port of call on the Eurodam in April. 

Thanks Sandi and all who contribute. Have a great weekend.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.263c3c1486023263dba987736543438c.jpegimage.jpeg.28ce06487da0b0dd4b573ff74693fa49.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.40a0db5c64cf1af700988ea46961fd3b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e04c833ae64a8e57dbc1c2eb1c8b54c5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb31ad064f60180658e95a91bc558945.jpegimage.jpeg.3c2dab5491ddcef9bbff1e2a5dd439dd.jpeg

Sorry about that cold front coming in.  I hope you have some warm clothes to combat that 75F temperature!😂  The memes today are hilarious so thanks for giving us a laugh!

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Saturday morning. Sandi thank you for starting us off with the Daily and the Cares and Celebration reports.  Prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Kathi, Tana and Sarah and for the people of Ukraine.  

We had a late itinerary change last night when the captain came over the loudspeaker and announced our visit to Elephant Island was scrapped due to predicted 24' swells in the Drake Passage. We are now on our way to Deception Island and are due there shortly. I hope soon because there is a lecture on Shackleton at 10.  I was really happy to hear of the change to this unusually shaped island. It is a caldera of an active volcano and then to a chin strap penguin colony.  We will just pass the entrance of Deception Island.  

A few photos from yesterday's visit to Admiralty Bay. It has a large Brazilian base and a Peruvian base nicknamed Macchu Picchu. Waterfalls are only present for about one month each summer here. 

IMG_20230203_151829482_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_160515692_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_163214517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_164600198_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230203_164621952_HDR.jpg

thanks Nancy for the photos of Admiralty Bay.  I hope you can attend the Shackleton talk and still see Deception Island.  I enjoyed seeing the waterfalls.  This photo I'm adding here is when the Seabourn Quest visited Deception Island in January 2017.  You can see how calm the water was then.  We sailed inside and saw the abandoned whaling stations and penguins.  The photo was taken off the video given to all the passengers at the end of the cruise.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPPeNAtv2Hli2A4oxAYgte?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485800915

57 minutes ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Saturday Daily & Care/Celebration list, Sandi.  Much appreciated 👍 

Ice cream this morning?  You’d have to be crazy to eat ice cream here - it’s too cold for ice cream.  -46 C.  Despite leaving the heat on and the portable heater, the house is quite chilly this morning. Please don’t take offence by:

73E1F002-CB13-4E77-A480-5A9343AA3CFE.thumb.jpeg.3d0cc6104660ab25bb40961148da9b4b.jpeg

I’d love some stuffed mushrooms if someone would prepare the for me  - I can do some things one armed but that’s not one of them. 😉. Not sure that quote is true all of the time?

We visited today’s port the same year & ship as Sandi @StLouisCruisersbut a different cruise, unfortunately. Like her we went to the town but didn’t know it was walkable and took the shuttle.  I guess we were lazier than them 😉 

Just to show you can learn something new every day…I discovered that the loud bangs I heard on my deck and the walls of my house last night (loud enough to wake me up and go running to the door) are “frost quakes”.  I don’t think I remember that happening before.  But we are at the magic number to make it happen with it getting close to -50 off an on last night and today.

Seems a lot of people are having problems finding eggs.  They are available here but the price is skyrocketing.

DCDDC90C-084D-4F19-BF48-3ED437550775.thumb.jpeg.fdbd8ee00b2e560a2e725e27c5b45298.jpeg

A friend of mine is raising his own chickens and found a way to increase production

BE8A8D24-0E65-4697-8C09-B6E12EA67CFB.jpeg.42f33f9966837ff37606b734a57608dc.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list with extras for Roy, Kathi, Sarah & Tana & cheers to those celebrating 🥂 

7F66794A-B69F-49AA-9ECA-8DD5C6E8D4AD.thumb.jpeg.81c6fb98918ec366b3b7a3a1ce073749.jpeg

Have a great Saturday, everyone !!!!!

Love the memes Jacqui, especially the first one.  I hope you have been able to control the pain somewhat since your doctor visit Wednesday.  Praying for quick healing and less pain for you!

34 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Egg shortage?  Saw that one of the largest poultry/egg farm’s in America burned down this week in a 22 alarm fire. Over 100,000 chickens perished!

https://www.wcvb.com/article/connecticut-egg-farm-fire-100-thousand-hens-killed/42725579

What a pity so many chickens died there.  I'm sure the building went up in flames pretty quickly.  22 alarms is a huge fire!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  My computer weather has been amusing me this morning.  I sat down at the computer.  First it said the temperature is 28.  Then it said...Feels colder.  I kept waiting for feels colder than what.  Then it showed a freezing and shivering thermometer.  Then it went back to 28 and sunny.

An article this morning on the google chorme news

Arctic blast could trigger a rare weather phenomenon: Frost quakes

Kathryn Prociv
Fri, February 3, 2023 at 2:43 PM EST

When artic air blasts through the Northeast and New England this weekend, it could cause a rare weather phenomenon called frost quakes.

Frost quakes, also known as ice quakes or cryoseisms, are seismic events caused by a sudden fracturing or cracking action in frozen ground, soil or rock that is saturated with water or ice. If the cracking is big enough, the process can cause a shaking motion and a loud boom. For this reason, they are often mistaken for minor earthquakes.

Frost quakes occur when very cold air interacts with soil that is saturated after recent rain or snow has seeped into the ground.

5b2e3bc90ac736384b3de78e8641ecdd.jpg

411669e8f04fab5770575810bfb8b9f2.jpg
Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Thank you to all who post on the Daily

Dr. Menninger was a psychiatrist who gave hope to those suffering from mental disorders.  I believe the quote makes more sense if the second independent clause is included.  Unrest of spirit is a mark of life; one problem after another presents itself and in the solving of them we can find our greatest pleasure.  

Healing thoughts to everyone one the care list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning to all. Thanks to everyone who keeps us going here. Yesterday we had howling winds for most of the afternoon and the dogs were very restless,even inside the house.Traffic was stopped on one of our major highways when several trees came down and blocked the road. Fortunately no one was injured. I spoke to a man from Parks and Recreation who was coming out of Van Cortlandt Park yesterday while I was out exposing the dogs to the scary wind. He said there were big trees down all over the park but the bigger problem was trying to get the homeless population to go to a shelter, I can’t imagine sleeping in a tent in this weather. 
We have not been to the port but very much appreciate the pictures. Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers . It looks like a great place to visit.

A coworker taught me how to make Jamaican Meat pies and I am wondering if that recipe is similar to today’s offering. It is a bit of work but produces happy eaters,especially our teenager. 
Tana told me earlier that she woke up hungry for the first time in many days and she is deciding on meals as Executive Chef as I type. So far,  were thinking beef stew for some and a new lentil stew recipe for the rest of the group.

A huge thank you to all who keep her in your prayers. We very much appreciate it and hope today is a good one for us and for all of you.

• Like 27

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Stuffed mushroom day. I know I have told this story before but I will give the shorten version.

While on a South Pacific cruise in April 2012 on a sea day there was a cooking contest. Our friend won the contest with stuffed mushrooms with crabmeat. Her prize was to have the dish served in the MDR for dinner the next night. Well, the next night came and her dish was on the menu but there was a slight problem. The dish was printed on the menu as follows, “Mushrooms stuffed with Crapmeat”. Needless to say there was a lot of people laughing in the MDR that night.

But that’s not the end of the story. Same year in August we were on the VoV cruise and while on the cruise I met the chief chef who had just been on the South Pacific cruise. I asked if he remembered the Stuff Mushroom with Crapmeat incident. He replied in a German ascent, “I got my butt chewed out”, while pointing his finger to his butt  😀.

How ‘bout a scoop of rum raison ice cream on some grits please 😳

• Like 9
  • Haha 15

Good morning, everyone!

I have to post and run as I have a Zoom meeting coming up and I have to get presentable.  At least the top part of me.  We are having a warming trend now and I will gladly accept that.  

Today's meal sounds good to me.   This meal has great variation and stretches from cheeseburger pie to pot pies to shepherd's pie with a crust.  This first one has potatoes and carrots in it, so a complete meal ready for you.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/ground-beef-meat-pie/

794696813_groundbeefpie1.thumb.jpg.2d1e9f83e2d991f0c4540f952b74e00f.jpg

This next one is more of a pot pie.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/ground-beef-meat-pie/

1971716902_groundbeefpie2.thumb.jpg.c1b67dee4ce5fdd0a7cb38d8799ab280.jpg

This one has a rich tomato base and cheddar cheese.  Mmmmm  https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hamburger-pie

1656959584_groundbeefpie3.jpg.24b99358a8d24684a152bc6750f23bdb.jpg

And how about one flavored with Guinness?  Sounds good to me!  https://howtofeedaloon.com/guinness-ground-beef-pot-pie/

344973174_groundbeefpie4.thumb.jpg.ed60bdba6721f2381a6b5316b6454664.jpg

And here we have Cheeseburger Pie.   Who can resist?   https://www.simplystacie.net/impossible-cheeseburger-pie/

649378475_groundbeefpie5.thumb.jpg.82f15ae7801856e73e9961e8d332eacc.jpg

I hope one of these appeals.    Wishing you all a wonderful day.   @rafinmd I hope we hear from you soon.  And, I hope finding out you have a dozen or more moms on this thread isn't too threatening to you.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning to all.

Sorry I never made here yesterday.  More about that later.

Thank you Sandi for the Daily and Fleet Report.  

I think I need to skip all the libations and food.  Tonight is the last meal before we leave for our cruise tomorrow and it is leftover pizza.  

The cruise photos from Huatulco are lovely. We were there on our Panama Canal Cruise in 2010 on the Maasdam.  Enjoyed that cruise very much.  

Also thank you to @ottahand7 for the lovely photos of Antarctica.  That is one cruise I hope to take one day.

Prayers for all on the cares list, especially @HAL Saileron the loss of DSIL. Also prayers for Roy, Jacqui, Tana and Sarah that they are all on the road to recovery.

@aliaschiefSorry you are having a cold spell.  I will take yours over mine.  We are at 39 degrees this morning.

Yesterday was a day when I just could not catch my breath.  At one point I had two different groups of people here wanting my attention and one on the phone.  Each situation more important than the next.  I was so run ragged.  

In the end.  

The thermostat is working and hooked up to the Wi-Fi and my phone.  Happy for that.

All my curtain rods, big pictures and mirrors are hung.

And Eugene’s (DBIL) estate is moving to the next step.  He passed away in Oct. 2021 and we are still dealing with New York State on releasing his money. Yet another form to complete and get notarized. Another envelope to send by FedEx to the attorney in NY.  

And then just as we were having dinner we heard a very loud noise and all the lights went out in the kitchen, laundry room and garage.  So we got a flashlight and turned the circuit breaker back on.  The lights all went on except for the breakfast area.  That will not work.  What the noise was all about, God only knows.  So now we need an electrician.  More money.  I think this house is doomed!

I sent a message to the contractor and told him our tale of woe and he said he would handle it.

It just doesn’t end.

Adding to the mix, DH has lost two credit cards. Nowhere to be found in this house.  Good news is that there is no activity on either of them.  I think they are here and he just doesn’t remember where he put them.  

So that is my life for the last few days.  

I am signing off for now.  Hope everyone has a good day.

Lots to do today to get ready to get out of here.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. Thanks to everyone who keeps us going here. Yesterday we had howling winds for most of the afternoon and the dogs were very restless,even inside the house.Traffic was stopped on one of our major highways when several trees came down and blocked the road. Fortunately no one was injured. I spoke to a man from Parks and Recreation who was coming out of Van Cortlandt Park yesterday while I was out exposing the dogs to the scary wind. He said there were big trees down all over the park but the bigger problem was trying to get the homeless population to go to a shelter, I can’t imagine sleeping in a tent in this weather. 
We have not been to the port but very much appreciate the pictures. Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers . It looks like a great place to visit.

A coworker taught me how to make Jamaican Meat pies and I am wondering if that recipe is similar to today’s offering. It is a bit of work but produces happy eaters,especially our teenager. 
Tana told me earlier that she woke up hungry for the first time in many days and she is deciding on meals as Executive Chef as I type. So far,  were thinking beef stew for some and a new lentil stew recipe for the rest of the group.

A huge thank you to all who keep her in your prayers. We very much appreciate it and hope today is a good one for us and for all of you.

Wonderful news that Tana's appetite is starting to come back.  She needs to keep up her strength.  In 2017 I had an intestinal infection and was hospitalized for antibiotic IV's.  Leading up to that I could barely tolerate eating and drinking anything.  And believe me, normally I never miss a meal.  So I understand her reluctance to put much into her stomach.  She must be turning the corner.  🙏

17 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I have to post and run as I have a Zoom meeting coming up and I have to get presentable.  At least the top part of me.  We are having a warming trend now and I will gladly accept that.  

Today's meal sounds good to me.   This meal has great variation and stretches from cheeseburger pie to pot pies to shepherd's pie with a crust.  This first one has potatoes and carrots in it, so a complete meal ready for you.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/ground-beef-meat-pie/

794696813_groundbeefpie1.thumb.jpg.2d1e9f83e2d991f0c4540f952b74e00f.jpg

This next one is more of a pot pie.   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/ground-beef-meat-pie/

1971716902_groundbeefpie2.thumb.jpg.c1b67dee4ce5fdd0a7cb38d8799ab280.jpg

This one has a rich tomato base and cheddar cheese.  Mmmmm  https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hamburger-pie

1656959584_groundbeefpie3.jpg.24b99358a8d24684a152bc6750f23bdb.jpg

And how about one flavored with Guinness?  Sounds good to me!  https://howtofeedaloon.com/guinness-ground-beef-pot-pie/

344973174_groundbeefpie4.thumb.jpg.ed60bdba6721f2381a6b5316b6454664.jpg

And here we have Cheeseburger Pie.   Who can resist?   https://www.simplystacie.net/impossible-cheeseburger-pie/

649378475_groundbeefpie5.thumb.jpg.82f15ae7801856e73e9961e8d332eacc.jpg

I hope one of these appeals.    Wishing you all a wonderful day.   @rafinmd I hope we hear from you soon.  And, I hope finding out you have a dozen or more moms on this thread isn't too threatening to you.  

Debbie, those all look delicious!  I liked the way the 3rd photo showed the crust cut and the pieces folded back to make the square in the middle.  What a creative way to vent your pastry dish, whether a hamburger pie or a fruit pie.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

We just came back from the Shackleton lecture and it was great. I had read the book Endurance right before this cruise so to be in the area these explorers survived was moving. 

Bad news began our talk. Captain Arno came on the speakers and the weather has worsened in the Drake Passage.  We will not be going to the Falklands on the 6th but will head directly to Argentina. He warned of high waves beginning around 3 and then another low pressure system again tomorrow.  I will miss seeing the King Penguins but it will be my excuse to repeat this cruise in the future.  

Here are some views of Deception Island and it's environs.  

@smitty34877glad to hear Tana is feeling better. @StLouisCruisersthank for the pic of Deception Island in better weather. 

IMG_20230204_084519463_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230204_090658067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230204_090707875_HDR.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from a cool but sunny day at the beach

Not going to say anything about our weather, too many people up north that are really suffering due to the cold.

Have not been to todays port- Thank you Sandi for the pictures

THe meat pie recipes look interesting, might have to give one a try. Would love ice cream for breakfast. Ice cream is my downfall. Would take that over anything else.

@ottahand7 Thank you for your beautiful pictures and report of your trip. We are on the October trip so have been following with great anticipation.

@cat shepard Glad your physical went well. I have never heard of that type of therapy to rebuild bone.  I would be cautious.

Going to a lecture today at the library. The speaker just returned from a humanitarian trip to Ukraine. I debated going because I thought it would be sad and hard to watch. But in the end I decided to go.

Stay safe and warm to all of my Northern friends.

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2