Some earth shattering news that will scandalise some on board.......

roscoe39

12 minutes ago, roscoe39 said:

thank you! that is the excuse that I have used in the past much to the annoyance of some crazy who is pointing out to me that it is tradition to go anti-clockwise on ships.. I actually have no idea why they have changed it, but there seems to be much confusion for the walkers now as some traditionalists are scandalised and others are defiant. I.....on the other hand am mildly amused. 

It's fun to be right...... as Judge Judy says, I've only ever been wrong once and it was in 1967.

You're welcome and enjoy your strolls around the ship.  Now.... a burning question regarding the threading of screws manufactured 'down under'; to drive the screw in, do you rotate CW or CCW??

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Race courses vary. And presumably in the S of F you go round roundabouts clockwise.

I might walk round them clockwise but it's best going the other way with a car! 🚓

Funnily enough we've only seen trotting going clockwise at our local course (2nd clip), but I see from the 1st clip that jump races go anti-clockwise.

22 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry, but in what sense of correct? Or is it simply what happens in US? Anyway, for now, on QV, it seems not to be the case.

Well, Olympic track sports go anti-clockwise, and those aren't US-centric.  

8 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Well, Olympic track sports go anti-clockwise, and those aren't US-centric.  

I have just had a wonderful picture pop into my mind. Hurdles, or even 3,000 metres steeplechase barriers on the prom deck. Racers handicapped according to age, of course. That would liven things up. Here race courses can go either way. Not sure about motor racing. And roundabout go clockwise.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, roscoe39 said:
On 2/9/2023 at 9:22 AM, Windsurfboy said:

I don't jog , but walk fast , always go in opposite direction so people can see me

. If you are going in same direction, you have people dawdling  along three abreast oblivious to any one behind, and seemingly  deaf to a polite excuse me

Agreed - the slow shufflers often seem to be deaf - and inclined to walk abreast.  It is a whole lot more efficient to meet promenaders head on.

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed - the slow shufflers often seem to be deaf - and inclined to walk abreast.  It is a whole lot more efficient to meet promenaders head on.

Nasty. My husband isn’t a shuffler, but he certainly walks more slowly than when younger. He wears a hearing aid, but still hears better when he can see the person addressing him. We walk abreast so we can converse. And we stop quite often to enjoy the view or to talk to acquaintances. We certainly try and avoid getting in people’s way, and I always try to move to one side, if only because I hate having people follow me. But there is no particular priority I can see that those who wish to walk faster or jog deserve. Going in the opposite direction seems a good idea for those who wish to move faster. But don’t depict those who tread slowly as a burden or, worse still, a nuisance.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Nasty. My husband isn’t a shuffler, but he certainly walks more slowly than when younger. He wears a hearing aid, but still hears better when he can see the person addressing him. We walk abreast so we can converse. And we stop quite often to enjoy the view or to talk to acquaintances. We certainly try and avoid getting in people’s way, and I always try to move to one side, if only because I hate having people follow me. But there is no particular priority I can see that those who wish to walk faster or jog deserve. Going in the opposite direction seems a good idea for those who wish to move faster. But don’t depict those who tread slowly as a burden or, worse still, a nuisance.

Agree with one.  

Had major knee surgery and a shuffle was the only way to walk, being part of one’s physiotherapist recovery program.  DW was my “crutch”.  Still, brisk walkers made comments such as “get a move on”, “out of my way”, “oh god”, even when there was ample passing areas.

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree with one.  

Had major knee surgery and a shuffle was the only way to walk, being part of one’s physiotherapist recovery program.  DW was my “crutch”.  Still, brisk walkers made comments such as “get a move on”, “out of my way”, “oh god”, even when there was ample passing areas.

Such comments should not be made and show lack of empathy and class on the perpetrator. Given that, perhaps slower traffic should keep to the right. ( Yes, that’s a U.S. thing….)

3 minutes ago, techteach said:

Such comments should not be made and show lack of empathy and class on the perpetrator. Given that, perhaps slower traffic should keep to the right. ( Yes, that’s a U.S. thing….)

I like to keep to whatever side the rail is, so I can stop and look for dolphins etc. But certainly one side or the other, where possible.

28 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Agree with one.  

If folk have no mobility problems, it might be hard to comprehend the problems walking on deck those who are mobility compromised, can have.

I have no problems walking now but I did and I travelled just before my new knee and was extremely careful how I walked. If I had got in the way of a super strider because I was too slow in moving out of their way, that would have been tough. It's ''our'' ship and the ''our'' is a collective term for everybody.

• Like 5

Ahmet: ""Good morning, my American friend. It will be trouble if you go this way. A good Turk always walks to the right. Left is communist. Right is good. You see, you must go the other way. The other way is good."

(Movie quote, don't be upset by the c-- word)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Ahmet: ""Good morning, my American friend. It will be trouble if you go this way. A good Turk always walks to the right. Left is communist. Right is good. You see, you must go the other way. The other way is good."

What film? 

well  on my second walk yesterday (I'm a sucker for punishment and the deserts here are sooooooo good) which was mid afternoon I noticed that it was 50/50 as to which way people were walking. in the old days it was probably about 95/5 if that.......

I even saw someone and his partner staring at the new signs in animated discussion. Its quite the thing on board and cheering to see how seriously some people take their health...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

What film? 

That quote is from the film Midnight Express which Roscoe mentioned in his blog. Here's a YouTube link to the scene in question. The quote starts at about 1:10 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DctWBdv2HfE

• Thanks 1

I've realized why I prefer anti-clockwise on a ship promenade.  It's because I gravitate to the railing, and have a lifelong habit of keeping to the right in two-way traffic.  Given that there are always people present who are walking in the opposite direction, of course I end up going anti-clockwise!

There is something kind of sad in the thought of everyone walking in the same direction.  I'll take @exlondoner's image of age-stratified steeplechase races over that.

• Like 1

Virtually everyone was anti-clockwise on QM2 in October. Seemed natural.

Running tracks are anti-clockwise. Race courses are too, not that I’ve ever been on one. Let alone a horse, unless you count ponies. Most motor racing circuits are clockwise, though I’ve never been on one of those.

• Thanks 1

I have briskly walked many laps on QM2 . The direction doesn’t matter. When I come up to those walking slower than  I am I just slow down and wait for an appropriate time to over take. I focus on the fact that I’m on a beautiful liner and  the few seconds lost on my walk here or there is lost in the moment so of no real concern. Enjoy the walks however, long or short they may be.

• Like 3

Just now, bbtablet said:

So do I, but if I meet you going the other way, who has the right-of-way?

You, because I am very polite and deferential. Unless the ship is really moving all over the place, in which we may end up in each other’s arms. 😀

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You, because I am very polite and deferential. Unless the ship is really moving all over the place, in which we may end up in each other’s arms. 😀

As one’s Grandmother used to say….

”Without an introduction? - Oh dear”

• Haha 3

On 2/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, roscoe39 said:

I have to report something I suspect  that will scandalize some and I am surprised that it has not been picked up by anyone before.

For years I have walked the promenade deck in the "clockwise" tradition - a personal foible that I am probably best  known for....it seems some old timers consider the correct direction to be Anticlockwise..... a fact, I have always disputed..

But .there seems to be a change in policy on board and now the signs point now in the correct direction  to some ....... clockwise

Photos on my blog

butarewethereyet.blogspot.com

Not that I am stirring the pot .......lol....... but thank you you're welcome.

I've always gone with the flow, anti-clockwise but I'll be happy to go the other way now .. Mainly I'll be happy to get back on a ship, you lucky Kiwi !!   We sail on QE this summer in Alaska.  Meanwhile, thanks for posting as I caught up with your fabulous blog.  Cheers old friend.  Keep the blog rolling.

@roscoe39 I just keep shaking my head in amazement that a person walked into dinner, and I believe gala night, wearing torn jeans and an un-buttoned shirt over a vest. Too much alcohol? Thumbing his nose at the dress code? Testing to see if someone would stop him? I know what the code says…and I don’t want to pull this wonderful thread off topic, or it turn heated and have to be closed. I am disappointed the person was allowed into the dining room. Roscoe I SO love reading your blog and I hope your cat is weathering the storm in NZ. How many pairs of shoes did you take?

22 hours ago, techteach said:

@roscoe39 I just keep shaking my head in amazement that a person walked into dinner, and I believe gala night, wearing torn jeans and an un-buttoned shirt over a vest. Too much alcohol? Thumbing his nose at the dress code? Testing to see if someone would stop him? I know what the code says…and I don’t want to pull this wonderful thread off topic, or it turn heated and have to be closed. I am disappointed the person was allowed into the dining room. Roscoe I SO love reading your blog and I hope your cat is weathering the storm in NZ. How many pairs of shoes did you take?

lol we were a little taken back too. I wasn't there last night, I'll check if he comes to night and report back. 

Thanks...Puss is fine....if a little spoilt

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 10:07 AM, ace2542 said:

What happens if you walk around the promenade deck the wrong way?

The gyroscopic force of so many people circulating in the same direction puts strain on the automatic steering and forces the computer to keep making course corrections as the volume of passengers doing their orbits fluctuates?  Whereas if there are even numbers circulating in both directions the ship's course remains nice and stable.

I'm sure that must be it...

• Haha 4