Riviera Live — February 10th

What A Market

6 hours ago, loriva said:

@zentand @toolworkerare also scheduled to be on your sailing as part of a B2B prior to the start of our cruise on 20 February.  @LakeRooseveltBrews--did you decide to do a B2B as well?

Would love to hear a few more details on the resumed muster drill.  And activities on board--especially trivia.

Most of all, we hope everyone enjoys their cruise and we look forward to seeing Riviera ourselves in 9 days!

@loriva  we did not do the B2B (unfortunately).  We are in the middle or repairs to our Hurricane Ian damaged home and didn't feel like we should be gone for 20 days (10 days was about what we thought would be OK).    Also, DH has jury duty scheduled for right after our return and we didn't think they'd take kindly to using "going on an extended cruise" as a good excuse. 🙂  

We will be going to one trivia session this afternoon.  The evening one is during our Red Ginger reservations, so we'll miss that one.  We will report back in on how trivia was later.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LakeRooseveltBrews said:

@loriva  we did not do the B2B (unfortunately).  We are in the middle or repairs to our Hurricane Ian damaged home and didn't feel like we should be gone for 20 days (10 days was about what we thought would be OK).    Also, DH has jury duty scheduled for right after our return and we didn't think they'd take kindly to using "going on an extended cruise" as a good excuse. 🙂  

We will be going to one trivia session this afternoon.  The evening one is during our Red Ginger reservations, so we'll miss that one.  We will report back in on how trivia was later.  

See you at trivia this afternoon as well as Red Ginger. As you note, definitely high winds today. 

1 hour ago, LakeRooseveltBrews said:

Cruise director is Steve Campbell.  We find him a bit hard to understand over the intercom, but fine when he's on stage in front of us (for instance, this morning at the Enrichment Speaker talk).  

In other notes, Internet for us has been spotty.   Different types of problems, so we never know if it's our devices (or walking over one another, even though the first is definitely logged off), or what.   Also, our phone reception which we paid AT&T for their "cruise package" has been horrible.  We are supposed to be able to both text and phone, and we put it on both our lines.   We can sometimes text one another.  My phone will not text anyone other than DH.  He can text friends & family...... sometimes.    I cannot.  We cannot call at all.  So, I'm not really sure what we paid AT&T  for.  Frustrating because we told family and house sitters that they were going to be able to reach us.   Lesson:  don't trust AT&T.  

Otherwise, the cruise has been great so far.  Seas are somewhat high and quite windy out there, and they closed the paddleball and golf areas due to the winds.   

I would put my phone in airplane mode ASAP. Did you verify with them that it worked on Oceania? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

I would put my phone in airplane mode ASAP. Did you verify with them that it worked on Oceania? 

Yes, we have both their 30 day "Cruise Plan" of which Riviera is a ship that is supposed to have this service as well as their International Plan.  I confirmed that it is showing on my AT&T account.  It is simply not working on my phone and only text on DH's.  I can see "cellular at SEA" in my location bar which is supposed to be correct.  We have turned off our Cellular Data to avoid data usage charges but their instructions on using their Cruise Plan state specifically not to use Airplane Mode.  It would definitely not connect in that status.  We'll see how it goes and I'll address this with AT&T when we return.  

Thanks!

Some food picks from last night. Not many. I’ll do better tonight (maybe) for our dinner at Red Ginger. 

Last night at GDR. Sea bream for my main. Skin was perfectly crisp, but the fish was hammered. Still pretty tasty. Went up to Terraces after because we passed on dessert. Sampled some sushi  rolls. Very tasty. 

A95591DE-CDA9-4A62-A49D-045D00BD1EF4.jpeg

1AFD09AC-9E5C-48BB-BE7A-5086BA021CAF.jpeg

• Like 1

The Time Out table. (Or maybe better: the Time’s Up table.)  I did not see it in use today, but truthfully, I didn’t pay attention. I just noticed now. Unattended items are placed on the table. No comment on items sitting here on the naughty table. (Another term for the table…..)

I can say that The Chair Hoarders (“Hogs” is such an ugly word — Ha!) we’re up before 7:00AM. This even before the pool crew had gotten out the lounge covers and towels.

2BE71CE0-51E6-4262-811B-843F5B9FA2EF.jpeg

Edited by What A Market
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, What A Market said:

The Time Out table. (Or maybe better: the Time’s Up table.)  I did not see it in use today, but truthfully, I didn’t pay attention. I just noticed now. Unattended items are placed on the table. No comment on items sitting here on the naughty table. (Another term for the table…..)

I can say that The Chair Hoarders (“Hogs” is such an ugly word — Ha!) we’re up before 7:00AM. This even before the pool crew had gotten out the lounge covers and towels.

Good  to see  some of the old  rules are returning

Some people are just so rude

One couple would put their stuff in the Sanctuary  early in the morning  go ashore  & return late afternoon

Thanks  for posting

On 2/10/2023 at 1:38 PM, LHT28 said:

yes better  to say since cruising  returned  covid has not ended

I have it now & DH is just getting over it  so definitely not ended

Enjoy the cruise 

Lynn -- get well give my regards to the OM...

I have it now too, just back from a Euro biz trip...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, What A Market said:

Boy, that’s a new one for me.  I don’t think there is a special hotspot for this. Each room is given the ability to create a log on to the ship’s Wi-Fi. There is an upgrade (cost) for higher speed for streaming.  I’m using ship’s basic Wi-Fi package. Seems ok mostly for posting (including photos) to Cruise Critic, getting to my office emails, and reading online stories like google news.

So, you're not a pedicure person.  Maybe Mrs. What a Market is familiar with them. The spa chairs for pedicures are large chairs that look like theater seats with a basin attached in front to soak your toes.  They have a faucet and a drain, so the nail person fills it up and then drains it when finished.  The problem with them for me is that bacteria grows down inside the drain, so even if they wash them out, they aren't really clean.  I only go to places that have basins.  Thanks for your respone.

5 hours ago, What A Market said:

2BE71CE0-51E6-4262-811B-843F5B9FA2EF.jpeg

Maybe they weren't saving the chairs but hoping to save something else. At least from the books they left there. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mbiggers said:

So, you're not a pedicure person.  Maybe Mrs. What a Market is familiar with them. The spa chairs for pedicures are large chairs that look like theater seats with a basin attached in front to soak your toes.  They have a faucet and a drain, so the nail person fills it up and then drains it when finished.  The problem with them for me is that bacteria grows down inside the drain, so even if they wash them out, they aren't really clean.  I only go to places that have basins.  Thanks for your respone.

You best bet would be to have your pedicure before your cruise, in a location you feel comfortable with. It will probably be more economical there anyway. 

• Like 1

Last night was dinner in Red Ginger. It has been too many years since our last opportunity to try this specialty restaurant. Love the whole routine of the chop stick presentation and the tea service. (Although we wait until the end of the meal to order our tea.)

I had the vegetable tempura, the tuna tataki, the watermelon and duck salad as starter courses. For the entree I had the miso sea bass. All were as good as I remembered. 

00BC0E10-8E8B-4AEF-B867-BE42D1028A7B.jpeg

EA0EFB22-3689-49B5-9779-074D75F53034.jpeg

BE5438E4-DA34-41DD-AC4E-5F12FCB0C433.jpeg

5EDE0373-F001-44EF-A246-2056696B14EE.jpeg

183275B0-43ED-4E60-BDA0-5ACE63E24C94.jpeg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, mbiggers said:

I’ll swing by the Spa and check it out. 
I’ve had a manicure before, but never a pedicure. After your description of the attached basins, I doubt I’ll ever give it a try. 🤮 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, What A Market said:

Unattended items are placed on the table

Are you sure the removed items are put on this table? I thought they were removed by the crew to a safe storage area where the crew would retrieve them. I don’t remember the table being very large.

The placing of the religious materials was for a different, unrelated purpose.

Edited by Robjame

On 2/11/2023 at 8:56 AM, Carol28 said:

May I ask what time did you go to the port and did you take the tunnel or the bridge? Last time we went to Miami port it was awful getting to an RCCL ship, but I understand that Oceania port is on the south side of the port and should be an easier access. Is that accurate?

I can speak personal experience. If your ship is at terminal J, the normal Oceania terminal”, on the south side next to the corporate headquarters of RCCL, take the bridge into the port!  If you take the tunnel you end up being directed by the signage to drive last every other cruise terminal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, What A Market said:

Last night was dinner in Red Ginger. It has been too many years since our last opportunity to try this specialty restaurant. Love the whole routine of the chop stick presentation and the tea service. (Although we wait until the end of the meal to order our tea.)

I had the vegetable tempura, the tuna tataki, the watermelon and duck salad as starter courses. For the entree I had the miso sea bass. All were as good as I remembered. 

00BC0E10-8E8B-4AEF-B867-BE42D1028A7B.jpeg

EA0EFB22-3689-49B5-9779-074D75F53034.jpeg

BE5438E4-DA34-41DD-AC4E-5F12FCB0C433.jpeg

5EDE0373-F001-44EF-A246-2056696B14EE.jpeg

183275B0-43ED-4E60-BDA0-5ACE63E24C94.jpeg

My exact meal last night, as well.  It was very good.  I'm taking photos, too, for my executive chef son.  

Thank you so much for posting! We're on this cruise Feb 20-March 12 as a BTB. We'll be doing  some of the same ports you are on our March 2-12 leg, so please post any info on tours/beaches/snorkeling in the various Ports. 

Thanks,

Loretta

6 minutes ago, harlor said:

Thank you so much for posting! We're on this cruise Feb 20-March 12 as a BTB. We'll be doing  some of the same ports you are on our March 2-12 leg, so please post any info on tours/beaches/snorkeling in the various Ports. 

Thanks,

Loretta

My husband and myself will be boarding Riviera on Feb 20.  Thanks to all for the pictures and muster info.  We will be on for 20 days and hope to use the launderette.  Does anyone know if they have soap dispensers or should we bring our own detergent?

Good afternoon from the Good Ship Riviera.

Nothing to really post, so just some random comments.

This is our second consecutive sea day on our way to St. Kitts. We have a ship’s excursion tomorrow afternoon. I think I booked a caterman/snorkeling excursion.

Captain’s party last night was fun. Sat at the bar in the Horizons lounge and chatted with some fun people. Also seated next to us was a person who probably had imbibed a bit too much. Not overly unruly by the standards of a bar, but I guess a tad over the line for a ship’s bar (or at least an Oceania ship’s bar — lol). Two security officers engaged the person. The only part of the conversation I heard was their suggestion that the person go eat something. Nothing more came from the exchange, but the security officers stood nearby until the person wandered off. 

Wi-Fi continues to function pretty well. At least for everything other than streaming. 

Bar staff around the pool circulate fairly often. You won’t go thirsty, particularly once you’re on their radar.

Edited by What A Market

Oops, forgot a major point for today’s festivities. The ship is hosting a Super Bowl party and showing the game in Horizons. You can also watch the game on the TV in your room. 

Several months ago, I booked my specialty restaurant reservations and ended booking Toscana for tonight. Oh well. The DW has zero interest in football. She will probably tolerate me watching the second half after dinner.