"Missed the boat" advice

blake21

Hi all.  Looking for some advice and to tap into the wealth of knowledge on these boards. I searched the boards but nothing relevant came up in the first several pages.

Here's the scenario: My, DH, DD, DS are heading out on the Celebration this Sunday, Feb 19.  However, DH found out today he has to be back in the states for work on Wednesday.  He wants to "miss the boat" when we are in port on Tuesday (Cozumel) and catch a flight from there. This isn't sitting right with me and I don't know what to expect if he were to do this, particularly knowing the post-covid rules have changed. We are obviously paid in full, made the dumb decision not to do insurance this time, etc. etc.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this?  Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

With uncertainty of flights, potential weather and how to handle with leaving mid cruise, seems like he would be better off being as a no show on the cruise to begin with.  I agree with you, this whole thing would not sit right with me either and all that comes with it. 

I also agree with the above poster, if he ends up leaving mid cruise, be up front about it.    

• Like 2

I have seen people debark early due to flights or other reasons...and we once did on an NCL cruise.  I would do what shof515 suggested and tell them once you are on board that your husband had a work or family emergency and need to take a flight out of Cozumel. 

Plus, the last cruise I was on I watched the ship wait over 30 minutes for a single couple past debarkation time (and past when any other guests got on) so I really wouldn't recommend this because it just might hold the entire ship up for awhile. I was actually surprised they waited so long for the stragglers...but maybe there was more to the story than I know...maybe they called ahead of time or had an emergency or were left on the mainland by a Carnival excursion.   This last situation actually happened to my son and I once, but we actually BEAT our group back to the ship by taking a taxi and the public ferry and another taxi...(Long story how we got separate, but it wasn't our fault. There were a bunch of people all in a big group and our excursion guide got way ahead of us and we got mixed in with another excursion group and separated from our excursion group...and my group left us and another family on the mainland of Mexico! Fortunately, I am relatively resourceful and got us back to the ship on time without incident other than having to spring for cab fare and a few pesos for the public water taxi.) At any rate, it shocked the heck out of me that literally the ship sat there for 30 minutes and waited for just two people. I have no idea what the circumstance was that led to this, but my point is: I wouldn't want them to wait for people who never show up. 

If it's just your husband missing the boat, it could be awkward (at a minimum) trying to explain to the ship's crew, after the fact, why he's not there and you are. Just not showing back up to the boat *could* cause a delayed departure while Carnival tries to understand the situation - they may need to contact him directly to verify your story. Notifying Guest Services before leaving the boat seems prudent. I'd imagine there are customs issues involved somewhere along the line (either in Mexico or arrival back to the States - or both).

• Like 1

Thank you all!  And agree - I was going to go to guest services that day to let them know he is not coming back on board. I would hate for the ship to wait when I know full well he's not coming back.

Appreciate the input!

You can't simply not show up on the ship, nor just show up at the airport. This must be arranged in advance so proper immigration can be done (on a cruise ship, immigration is rubber stamped based on you leaving same day (simple explanation)). If you don't intend to return to the ship, you need to be properly processed. Also note that there is no guarantee that you will get permission. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

You can't simply not show up on the ship, nor just show up at the airport. This must be arranged in advance so proper immigration can be done (on a cruise ship, immigration is rubber stamped based on you leaving same day (simple explanation)). If you don't intend to return to the ship, you need to be properly processed. Also note that there is no guarantee that you will get permission. 

Totally agree with this statement.  It won’t work to just tell Guest Services he won’t be back on the ship.  He must be properly processed off the ship.

If he just gets off the ship, and tells nobody, then when he gets to the airport, exit Immigrations is going to have a GREAT day, while your husband is having a bad day. Usually, you have to show an entrance stamp to be allowed to exit a country.

Tell GS when you first board so they can arrange an Immigrations officer to meet him when he disembarks in Cozumel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Even if given permission, all fines Carnival is assessed will be passed to him...about $770.  This action essentially changes it from a "closed loop" cruise to an "open loop" and incurs additional paperwork for the cruise line.   

Just for grins I looked up the itinerary for that cruise - Cozumel is the first stop.  All that hassle for two days on the ship just isn't worth it.  The only option that makes any sense is for your hubby to be a no-show so you can at least get back taxes and port fees.

(And I'll add that in my most humble opinion if I'd have ever had a job where I found out at nearly the last instant that my vacation with my family was getting trashed I'd have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine.)

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Even if given permission, all fines Carnival is assessed will be passed to him...about $770.  This action essentially changes it from a "closed loop" cruise to an "open loop" and incurs additional paperwork for the cruise line.   

While you are correct that a new passenger manifest would be needed, there would be no fine involved, since the person is leaving at a foreign port.

• Like 2

I wouldn't want the pressure of trying to leave Coz and being held up by immigration, etc. or not even being able to catch a flight.  I would call CCL and explain the circumstances.  You will be reimbursed for the taxes and fees paid already, and will not be charged as a single since  (I gather) your DD and DS are in the cabin with you.  The cruise fare is lost whether he is a no-show or not.  BTW -I would be pretty peeved at his job for doing this to him at the last minute.

11 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Totally agree with this statement.  It won’t work to just tell Guest Services he won’t be back on the ship.  He must be properly processed off the ship.

agree. 

I was going to add this. On my recent cruise I was talking to another person about her having missed the ship on embarkation, flew to the first stop and the nightmare she had with immigration. While it’s not the same scenario, arriving via one mode of transpiration and leaving by another is problematic. You can do it, but it might take some time to get the proper documentation done. It isn’t as simple as getting off the boat and getting on a plane. 

29 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I read on another thread that you can later be fined thousands for just leaving the ship without permission. I also think if he tried to get off with luggage they would stop him.

The only fines are for violations of US or Canadian cabotage laws.  The US fine is $769, the Canadian fine can be up to $5000 Cdn.  However, Canada is not on the itinerary, and since the person would be getting on in a US port, but getting off in a foreign port, the US cabotage law does not apply.

The ship cannot stop anyone from disembarking, but the person would be liable for illegal entry into Mexico, since he was only cleared for an "in transit" visa for the cruise ship, not a tourist entry into Mexico.  They can, however, delay and argue with the passenger while they notify the local immigration officials. If there is unpaid amount on the onboard account, they can place an "innkeeper's lien", which would prevent the person from taking any belongings (baggage, carry-on) off the ship until the bill was paid in full.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship cannot stop anyone from disembarking, but the person would be liable for illegal entry into Mexico

I'm not touching on that comment.😎

13 hours ago, groundloop said:

Just for grins I looked up the itinerary for that cruise - Cozumel is the first stop.  All that hassle for two days on the ship just isn't worth it.  The only option that makes any sense is for your hubby to be a no-show so you can at least get back taxes and port fees.

(And I'll add that in my most humble opinion if I'd have ever had a job where I found out at nearly the last instant that my vacation with my family was getting trashed I'd have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine.)

I was thinking the same thing.  It's not worth it for less than 2 days on the cruise.  He's better just not going.  Also agree about the job part.  What a crappy company to work for.  Unless it's something important that just came up.  But if the time off was already approved it's not right for them to change it now.