My EWR return flight has been moved earlier. What do I do?

Maplemoose

Returning to Cape Liberty May 25 8 a.m. My flight is now at 12:35. When can we debark, presuming Summit arrives on time? Is there a carry your luggage option? Is it easy to get an Uber from there? Does Celebrity have a shuttle bus to the airport? Anyone with experience at this cruiseport/airport?  A missed flight would cost us well over $1000. TIA. 

5 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Returning to Cape Liberty May 25 8 a.m. My flight is now at 12:35. When can we debark, presuming Summit arrives on time? Is there a carry your luggage option? Is it easy to get an Uber from there? Does Celebrity have a shuttle bus to the airport? Anyone with experience at this cruiseport/airport?  A missed flight would cost us well over $1000. TIA. 

It's less than 1/2 hour drive from port to airport. You should be ok. There's usually a line of taxis waiting there.  I see you're international but it still should be fine...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Generally if you miss a flight they put you on the next one that has availability yet things get murky if you booked with a 3rd party who charge change fees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

You should have no problems with a 12:30 flight out of EWR.

I've previously been able to make an 11:30 without even rushing.   

Also that 8:00 time is conservative for arrival. I have woken up at 7 and the ship is docked at Bayonne. They use Face ID so customs goes fast. However they should not dilly dally as they will be on an international flight. They should do early disembarkation. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Generally if you miss a flight they put you on the next one that has availability yet things get murky if you booked with a 3rd party who charge change fees

Note that there may be multiple passengers and they are on an international flight to a Canadian destination. There may be limited flights.

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Also that 8:00 time is conservative for arrival. I have woken up at 7 and the ship is docked at Bayonne. They use Face ID so customs goes fast. However they should not dilly dally as they will be on an international flight. They should do early disembarkation. 

They face ID us on Anthem, but on Summit last July, they did not.  Either way, you should have no problem getting to Newark Airport on time.

I'd agree with the assessments above that you should be OK to catch your new flight time.

But, be aware that the change in the flight time is a change to your contract with the airline. Rather than worry about the ship and the clock, I would contact the airline and get them (the originator of the problem) to put you on a later flight - at no extra charge to you - to avoid your hardship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

They face ID us on Anthem, but on Summit last July, they did not.  Either way, you should have no problem getting to Newark Airport on time.

That is surprising. The equipment must have been down since all cruises out of Bayonne are from the same terminal.  

We just got an email that our flight was changed from EWR to YYZ for our flight in May as well.

I was able to go online and choose a 2pm departure (without any additional fees) instead of accepting the 4:30pm flight that was assigned to us in the email.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Note that there may be multiple passengers and they are on an international flight to a Canadian destination. There may be limited flights.

I believe they'll have plenty of time but am pointing out to them that if they miss their flight the airlines are pretty accommodating on getting you onto the next flight at no charge.  If an overnight hotel is required and the airline won't help pay for it, there are descent (Clearly won't be Ritz) below $200 all in

35 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is surprising. The equipment must have been down since all cruises out of Bayonne are from the same terminal.  

I don't think it had anything to do with equipment as the Anthem cruise was was 4 years earlier.  Celebrity must not have participated in the facial recognition.  

7 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I don't think it had anything to do with equipment as the Anthem cruise was was 4 years earlier.  Celebrity must not have participated in the facial recognition.  

They used facial recognition on the last cruise  I did on Summit from Bayonne pre Covid. 

OP here. We are flying Air Canada and they would never just put you on another flight if  you are late arriving at the airport through no fault of the airline. If you don't pay a lot more for a changeable flight, you are on your own. There are plenty of flights but not only will you pay again but you will have to get a connecting flight, usually through Pearson airport in Toronto, recently voted world's worst in connecting, losing luggage etc. I will be playing the odds and keep our direct 12;35 flight. I just hope that there will not be a long delay between docking and disembarkation. 

23 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

OP here. We are flying Air Canada and they would never just put you on another flight if  you are late arriving at the airport through no fault of the airline. If you don't pay a lot more for a changeable flight, you are on your own. There are plenty of flights but not only will you pay again but you will have to get a connecting flight, usually through Pearson airport in Toronto, recently voted world's worst in connecting, losing luggage etc. I will be playing the odds and keep our direct 12;35 flight. I just hope that there will not be a long delay between docking and disembarkation. 

It is only a 20 minute ride from the port to Newark Airport. It would have to be an awfully long delay. They have everyone off the ship by 9:30 for turnaround. I doubt you will miss a 12:35 flight. 

Edited by Charles4515

OP:  You should be fine with time to spare with a 12:30 flight.   Airport is not far.   I have never had a delayed debarkation in the dozen+ times back to Cape Liberty.   Even on a ship as large as Oasis of the Seas.

I realize delays occasionally happen, but even if delayed, you should still be ok with a 12:30 flight.  

Enjoy your cruise!  

12 hours ago, Canuker said:

I'd agree with the assessments above that you should be OK to catch your new flight time.

But, be aware that the change in the flight time is a change to your contract with the airline. Rather than worry about the ship and the clock, I would contact the airline and get them (the originator of the problem) to put you on a later flight - at no extra charge to you - to avoid your hardship.

This! Every time an airline has changed one of my flights, I've had the opportunity to change it to a new one at no additional charge because the airline made the change.

Written, I have the opportunity to change it but there is only one direct flight daily and that is what I paid for.  Connecting in Toronto ia always a nightmare, moreso since the pandemic started. I will be sticking with the same flight given the track record for Bayonne that Miz mentioned above. I will go with the odds. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Written, I have the opportunity to change it but there is only one direct flight daily and that is what I paid for.  Connecting in Toronto ia always a nightmare, moreso since the pandemic started. I will be sticking with the same flight given the track record for Bayonne that Miz mentioned above. I will go with the odds. 

Agree stick with the original flight that's direct. I have to connect through Pearson and they changed my flight from 2pm Miami > Pearson and 6pm to Windsor to 5pm from Miami and then 9am the next day from Pearson, needless to say I wasn't spending a night at Pearson so opted for next day but still need to connect in Pearson. 

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Agree stick with the original flight that's direct. I have to connect through Pearson and they changed my flight from 2pm Miami > Pearson and 6pm to Windsor to 5pm from Miami and then 9am the next day from Pearson, needless to say I wasn't spending a night at Pearson so opted for next day but still need to connect in Pearson. 

Agree. Stick to original. Do a walkoff with your luggage so you can leave earlier. or, talk to Guest Services onboard to let them know you will require an early departure should you choose to have your luggage delivered to port terminal

we had 4 flights booked. All have had time changes.   Least for us, less time spent at Pearson.     

4 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

we had 4 flights booked. All have had time changes.   Least for us, less time spent at Pearson.     

I have had many time changes over the years. And they don't always notify. I check my flights every week and a few times caught changes they had not notified. For a flight in May there could be another time change. 

• Like 1