Drinks for in-room fridge

KyOh

Normally tonic and soda water available.  We found it can vary but you can request they change out cola for ginger ale for example.  In most cases they will try to accommodate.  On longer cruises there have been occasional shortages of one thing or another and the variety can change based on where in the world you might be.  

The fridge is stocked with 6 cans of soda (4 browns 2 clears) and two small bottles of mixers. You can ask the steward for whatever you like and they will almost always be able to accommodate you. I replace the tonic with ginger ale which BTW is Schweppes made with real sugar instead of fructose. It’s delicious.

I was in the beverage industry for 20 years so allow me to digress. Most of the soft drinks bottled outside the US are non fructose because sugar is cheaper and fructose used in beverages is liquid, which makes it difficult and costly to transport internationally. The US highly subsidizes the corn industry, which is the primary supplier of fructose. BTW If we ever meet on a cruise I’ll tell you the inside story of “New Coke” and the secret ingredient in Dr. Pepper.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The fridge is stocked with 6 cans of soda (4 browns 2 clears) and two small bottles of mixers. You can ask the steward for whatever you like and they will almost always be able to accommodate you. I replace the tonic with ginger ale which BTW is Schweppes made with real sugar instead of fructose. It’s delicious.

I was in the beverage industry for 20 years so allow me to digress. Most of the soft drinks bottled outside the US are non fructose because sugar is cheaper and fructose used in beverages is liquid, which makes it difficult and costly to transport internationally. The US highly subsidizes the corn industry, which is the primary supplier of fructose. BTW If we ever meet on a cruise I’ll tell you the inside story of “New Coke” and the secret ingredient in Dr. Pepper.

Marketing ploy to boost/renew interest in "real" Coke.

Prune extract.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Down South we always heard Dr Pepper had prune juice in it.  Back when I was in school.  🥃  In college a few cretins drank Dr Pepper with tequila....😱

Definitely not prunes. 

Dr. Pepper predates Coca-Cola by one year and was invented in a drugstore in Waco, Texas.

At Dr. Pepper HQ they serve hot Dr. Pepper as a coffee substitute.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I was in the beverage industry for 20 years so allow me to digress. Most of the soft drinks bottled outside the US are non fructose because sugar is cheaper and fructose used in beverages is liquid, which makes it difficult and costly to transport internationally. The US highly subsidizes the corn industry, which is the primary supplier of fructose. 

Coca Cola from overseas tastes sooo much better than US Coke.  Mexican Coke is famous, but Bahamian Coke is just as good.

I used to see kosher Coke in the US, in the green cans, which I think had real sugar, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

8 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Coca Cola from overseas tastes sooo much better than US Coke.  Mexican Coke is famous, but Bahamian Coke is just as good.

I used to see kosher Coke in the US, in the green cans, which I think had real sugar, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

May question is what's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke, if there is one?

15 minutes ago, millybess said:

May question is what's the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke, if there is one?

One word….Marketing.

Although Coke Zero tastes more like Coca-Cola, the word “Diet” has become pejorative with recent generations.

When it was introduced, Diet Coke was the most researched, taste-tested new product introduction in the world. It was marketed to get men to drink diet soda. Up until that time, Coca-Cola’s diet drink was Tab. In its magenta can and swimsuit model ad campaign, it was targeted towards women. The Diet Coke rollout featured a pinstripe can and celebrities like John Wayne and Telly Savalas kicking back cans of Diet Coke like it was beer.

When we have that drink on a cruise together, I’ll tell you why this all has a direct connection to the “New Coke” fiasco. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

When we have that drink on a cruise together, I’ll tell you why this all has a direct connection to the “New Coke” fiasco. 

Unfortunately I think you're in the Med this year just before us, but Japan might be an option!!

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

One word….Marketing.

Although Coke Zero tastes more like Coca-Cola, the word “Diet” has become pejorative with recent generations.

When it was introduced, Diet Coke was the most researched, taste-tested new product introduction in the world. It was marketed to get men to drink diet soda. Up until that time, Coca-Cola’s diet drink was Tab. In its magenta can and swimsuit model ad campaign, it was targeted towards women. The Diet Coke rollout featured a pinstripe can and celebrities like John Wayne and Telly Savalas kicking back cans of Diet Coke like it was beer.

Diet Coke aficiando in our household. He won’t drink Coke Zero—doesn’t taste the same to him! Part of our adventures when traveling anywhere in the world is hunting down those Diet Coke cans (or bottles as the case may be).

34 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Diet Coke aficiando in our household. He won’t drink Coke Zero—doesn’t taste the same to him! Part of our adventures when traveling anywhere in the world is hunting down those Diet Coke cans (or bottles as the case may be).

No more Diet Coke in Australia. It's all zero. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

No more Diet Coke in Australia. It's all zero. 

We haven’t been to your land since 2017. Would love to visit again but for the 15 hour flight from LAX! Might have to add the lack of “diet” coke to the list for reasons to think twice!

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

One word….Marketing.

Would love to see meet you someday.  Followed your recent live from.  Thanks.

I do remember the New Coke, thought it was much sweeter, to compete with Pepsi.  But interested to hear your inside story.

I also remember and really liked Coke C2, lower sugar.  Didn't last, don't know why.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

20 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

BTW If we ever meet on a cruise I’ll tell you the inside story of “New Coke” and the secret ingredient in Dr. Pepper.

Cherry juice? 

Almond?
Caffeine (not so secret, I guess)

Cocaine? 🤪

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Cherry juice? 

Almond?
Caffeine (not so secret, I guess)

Cocaine? 🤪

Closest guess yet. You are on the right track with cherries, but no stone fruits are used.

Pemberton’s French Wine of Coca, which used a cocaethylene mixture, was the original patent medicine made in an Atlanta drug store that became Coca-Cola.

The cocaine was removed because of the alcohol used (prohibition), not the cocaine. 
Coca-Cola still uses coca leaf for flavoring. The leaf is processed to remove the active ingredient, which is sold to the pharmaceutical industry. Coca-Cola uses a “debuzzed” coca alkaloid from this process for flavoring. Along with cola nut, this is one of the major flavor components of Coca-Coca. Another is the extract from a real bitter orange. Pepsi uses lemons, which is one big reason they taste different.

While we are on the topic, DYK 7-Up  use to contain lithium citrate, a drug used for treating manic states?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 4