Credit error by cruise line in my favor - travel agent claims she has to pay them back

kerrilynn

I have a question regarding this topic ...  I cancelled one person out of three in our cabin.  The cruise line over credited my credit card.  I did not even know about the credit until she said something to me, as she said it could take weeks to see the credit.  The travel agent claims she is responsible now for paying that "overage of the credit" back to the cruise line.  Is this actually true?  I don't see how the cruise line can make her pay that money when it was their mistake.  Does anyone know anything about this?

6 minutes ago, kerrilynn said:

don't see how the cruise line can make her pay that money when it was their mistake. 

Probably because the reservation actually belongs to the TA until you embark. That is why you have to go through the TA for anything related to the booking. Give the TA the money that you rightfully owe back to the cruise line.

• Like 2

Have you made the final payment for the cruise ?

If not the cruise line may add the difference in what you paid  to the total fare  when your final payment is due

I do not know why you would pay the TA   ?

The payment should go to the cruise line  & let them deal with the agency

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Have you made the final payment for the cruise ?

If not the cruise line may add the difference in what you paid  to the total fare  when your final payment is due

I do not know why you would pay the TA   ?

The payment should go to the cruise line  & let them deal with the agency

Yes, we made the final payment in December.   The cruise departs in March.

And I agree that the cruise line should contact me with the error.  The credit came directly from them.  And I am willing to pay back the overage.  I just don't know why the agent is asking to charge my credit card and saying she has to pay it, so I have to pay it.  How do I know this is in fact true?

39 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I’m not sure why you want to keep something that isn’t yours. 

I don't want to keep it.  I am willing to give the overage back.  I just want to be sure it is legit.   I have heard nothing from the cruise line.  The cruise line credited me directly.

37 minutes ago, mom says said:

Give the TA the money that you rightfully owe back to the cruise line.

I did not receive any documentation from the cruise line.  I am certainly willing to give back the overage.  If I can see an invoice from them.  But I have not been presented with one.  How do I know that the agency is not going to put this money in their pocket.  I do not want any problems during embarking.  Can I contact the cruise line directly to inquire, even though I had an agent?

28 minutes ago, DAKCRUISERS said:

Before you pay anyone, make sure you see a receipt from the cruise line.

That is what I want ... an invoice from the cruise line but have not yet received it.  There are many scams out there and you are taught not to trust anyone.

44 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

When the cruise line sees they over credited you, do you really think they would just write it off?  Heck no.  Of course, they're going to want it back.  

The cruise line has not yet said they over credited me.  This has all just come from the agency with no proof presented as yet.

3 minutes ago, kerrilynn said:

The cruise line has not yet said they over credited me.  This has all just come from the agency with no proof presented as yet.

If you booked through a TA, then it's the TA they're going to communicate with, not you.   That's standard practice.  

Yes, you should demand an invoice to make sure you're giving back exactly what's owed.  Just do yourself a favor.  Do not play lawyer and try to find ways out of paying it.  Trust me, that will not work in your favor.  

if you fo into your cruise line account  does it show the  price?

Ask the TA to send you an updated invoice

worst case call the cruise line ask to speak to a manager & see if they can confirm the correct amount owed

JMO

I really am guessing here, but it sounds like the cruise line had already paid the commission. Then you were refunded the correct amount. Now the cruise line wants the agent to return the commission. Don’t pay a penny to the agent until you see exactly what you paid to the cruise line, in case I am right. I may not be, but you may not owe it.

You should call the cruise line and ask for an invoice. Anyone who answers can email that to you immediately. You do not need to call the agent first. I was a travel agent for 20 years, so I do have experience here. Have your booking # handy, and that’s all you need.

I am also wondering if the charge went to the cruise line directly or to the travel agency. Often, agencies choose to be the “point of sale” and the money goes directly to them. Then, after deducting their commission, they pay the cruise company the net amount. That gets messy when refunds are in order!  

5 hours ago, DAKCRUISERS said:

I really am guessing here, but it sounds like the cruise line had already paid the commission. Then you were refunded the correct amount. Now the cruise line wants the agent to return the commission. Don’t pay a penny to the agent until you see exactly what you paid to the cruise line, in case I am right. I may not be, but you may not owe it.

Ah, I think I understand this.  If I follow it is basically the commission on the cancelled person's fare that might be the issue.  Because of the cancellation the TA had to pay that commission back.  If so,  the OP shouldn't reimburse the TA.  Do I have it right?    

13 hours ago, DAKCRUISERS said:

I am also wondering if the charge went to the cruise line directly or to the travel agency. Often, agencies choose to be the “point of sale” and the money goes directly to them. Then, after deducting their commission, they pay the cruise company the net amount. That gets messy when refunds are in order!  

Why do travel agencies "take the money and then pass it along to the vendor"?

For decades, we've *always* had a travel agent pass along our credit card information such that the charge is directly from the vendor, be it a cruise line, hotel, etc.

Any refund is directly to our same charge card.  Any commission is invisible to us; that's between the agent and the travel provider.

As an added "benefit", there's no concern about what if the travel agent goes out of business and hasn't yet paid "our" money to the travel provider.

GC

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Why do travel agencies "take the money and then pass it along to the vendor"?

The only  reason I can think of  is they are on Viking or  in some Countries  people pay the agency &  they pay the cruise line

Some people pay cash or use debit cards to save the fee the agency charges for CC use

In North America  this is not common  & it would raise a very large red flag  with many

Maybe the OP is from the UK  where paying the agency is common??

19 hours ago, kerrilynn said:

Come on now.... a simple call to the cruise line will confirm whether they over-credited your account.  You know what the right thing to do is - just do it.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:05 PM, Aquahound said:

If you booked through a TA, then it's the TA they're going to communicate with, not you.   That's standard practice.  

Yes, you should demand an invoice to make sure you're giving back exactly what's owed.  Just do yourself a favor.  Do not play lawyer and try to find ways out of paying it.  Trust me, that will not work in your favor.  

I am not trying to find ways not to pay it, but I want to be sure I a paying something legitimate!

6 minutes ago, kerrilynn said:

I am not trying to find ways not to pay it, but I want to be sure I a paying something legitimate!

I don't blame you.   I would want an explantation of what this is all about.