Prima/LIVE/Feb 26 to March 5, 2023/non-Sistahs Cruise

Greenpea2

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Greenpea2 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Background: This was supposed to be the Sistahs Cruise Part Deux. Sistah and I cruised on the (then) new Norwegian Bliss at the end of February 2020. Back in the old days, before Covid. Actually, JUST before Covid -- the cruise after ours was the last one before the shut-down. Serendipity? Sistah not have much cruise experience, so she was especially excited for that cruise since we booked the Haven. She was bowled over by the experience. We had such a fun time and, living so far apart (she in NYS up by Canada, me in NJ [then] and NC [now]) we just don’t get to spend that much time together. It was a great cruise with a number of Sistah shenanigans. 

Here’s a link to that review if anyone is interested: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2736734-sistahs-cruise-bliss-ny-to-bahamas-feb-23-march-1/

A year ago we decided it was time to do it again and so we booked this cruise. We wanted to really do it up—booked the Haven (an H6 two-bedroom suite), chose the Premium-Plus beverage package, and I took the unlimited internet so I could happily blather on here and share our experience again.   

But it was not to be. To be admittedly vague (this is a public forum after all), her life situation changed about 7 months ago. For now, she is needed at home and cannot be away for more than a day or maybe 2. We waited until close to final payment for her to make her final decision. Which was: nope. She can’t  leave. We were both disappointed and very sad. To say the least. 

Why not just go with Hubbie, you ask? Well, although my husband used to cruise every year or so with me, he has not in a number of years—he lost interest. I know, right? WHO LOSES INTEREST IN CRUISING. Well, he did. He would rather stay home with his guitars and our cats, with the TV on in the background most of the time being able to be really messy every day, spreading his stuff out from one end of our apartment to the other (just in case he needs it nearby) without a wife frowning at him. 

So imagine my surprise when, after I told him that Sistah decided she just can’t go, he immediately  said “guess I’ll have to go with you then!” Say what?? :-0 

OK then! The cruise was back on!

I could not name this cruise the “Spouses Cruise” because, ugh. Just not catchy, and just sounds really boring, Besides. It was supposed to be the Sistahs. So in honor of Sistah and to show that I will be thinking of her every day of this cruise, I am calling it the non-Sistahs cruise. It seems only right (although also… just wrong). 

• Like 36

I’d also like to say that with all the recent Prima reviews (which I loved--thank you all for spending time onboard writing them) I know not everyone will be particularly interested in yet another Prima review. That’s OK, I do understand. At least I will have any number of The Tribe members being nice enough to read this. 😉 I will do my best to entertain you and be informative. I’m not all that great at the informative part (last time I kept forgetting to take pictures of my food, I was scared to take pictures of bare feet on sofas because what if someone yelled at me? I just can’t get motivated to take pictures of all the dailies and post them, and I got frustrated with the WiFi and sometimes whined a little... sometimes). I’m not the perfect “reviewer” that’s for sure. I tend to just sort of share my experience and hope someone out there is interested.  

I also am aware that there are those out there who are not particularly interested in a Haven-heavy cruise report. They prefer a regular cruise experience. I get it. And no offense taken. This will be a lot of Haven stuff, I’m sure, but also other places on the ship. DH and I look forward to exploring this beautiful new creature called the Prima. We most certainly will not be only in the Haven.

Edited by Greenpea2
  • Like 25

Pre-cruise logistics: We will be flying down to Orlando airport the day before (on Saturday).  DH’s sister and her hubby live in Florida (about an hour and 45 minutes from Orlando) and since DH and I were a little worried about the whole Uber concept and/or scheduling all that stuff (am I showing my, er, “maturity” here?), we decided to ask if his sister and hubby would consider picking us up at the airport, taking us to Port Canaveral, staying at the hotel (on us) with us, and a nice dinner out (on us), then dropping us off at the port the next day before driving almost 2 hours home again on Sunday. Sounds like a deal, huh? Ha Ha. Well, it was worth a try, right? Turns out they said “Yes”! Yay. We all don’t get to see each other much so this will be a nice little visit. Fun to see them and spend some time, and no Uber/taxi logistics to deal with. (P.S. I booked us the NCL shuttle back to the airport when we disembark—very easy to do and inexpensive.) 

We are spending the night before the cruise at the Hampton Inn and Suites, Port Canaveral. When I booked it (back in October) the price was reasonable, considering the cost of the rest of this trip. Under $300/room even with all those mysterious taxes and fees added in. I checked prices 3 weeks ago and WOW!! Like over $5oo! Unreal. 

• Like 13

I'm here for all the Sistah action on this cruise! I don't suppose your lovely husband would want to dress up in a similar outfit as your sistah for a day or two, or at least to pose for a photo or two? I think it'd be lovely and sistah would get a kick out of it! I know, I know...but hey, it's an idea. 🙂

It'll be amazing to hear all about your Prima experience in the Haven. We have our eyes set on a Prima/Viva Haven sailing in the future...maybe. So, your experience will be super helpful! And, make the review your own. Who cares if there aren't officer lists, daily's, etc. It'll be all you! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

I’d also like to say that with all the recent Prima reviews (which I loved--thank you all for spending time onboard writing them) I know not everyone will be particularly interested in yet another Prima review. That’s OK, I do understand. At least I will have any number of The Tribe members being nice enough to read this. 😉 I will do my best to entertain you and be informative. I’m not all that great at the informative part (last time I kept forgetting to take pictures of my food, I was scared to take pictures of bare feet on sofas because what if someone yelled at me? I just can’t get motivated to take pictures of all the dailies and post them, and I got frustrated with the WiFi and sometimes whined a little... sometimes). I’m not the perfect “reviewer” that’s for sure. I tend to just sort of share my experience and hope someone out there is interested.  

I also am aware that there are those out there who are not particularly interested in a Haven-heavy cruise report. They prefer a regular cruise experience. I get it. And no offense taken. This will be a lot of Haven stuff, I’m sure, but also other places on the ship. DH and I look forward to exploring this beautiful new creature called the Prima. We most certainly will not be only in the Haven.

I likely will not be following live (we are on the Epic starting on Sunday), but I am DEFINITELY interested in a Haven-heavy review. We're thinking of booking the Viva for next year and I would love to hear what you think of the Prima Haven. My husband pretty much refuses to NOT sail in a suite, which since it is his job to pay (any my job to plan), I'm okay with that decision.

And I do understand the sadness of your friend not being able to cruise with you. Our friend who usually stays in the second bedroom with us had to bow out this year as well. We're going to miss her, but my brother is coming as her replacement -- it's his first cruise and I'm curious about how many last-minute panic questions I'm going to get today (we live in different states).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm here for all the Sistah action on this cruise! I don't suppose your lovely husband would want to dress up in a similar outfit as your sistah for a day or two, or at least to pose for a photo or two? I think it'd be lovely and sistah would get a kick out of it! I know, I know...but hey, it's an idea. 🙂

It'll be amazing to hear all about your Prima experience in the Haven. We have our eyes set on a Prima/Viva Haven sailing in the future...maybe. So, your experience will be super helpful! And, make the review your own. Who cares if there aren't officer lists, daily's, etc. It'll be all you! 

@cruiseny4life Viva has an interesting itinerary out of San Juan next year -- no sea days (I don't know if that is good or bad). We could fly out of ALB and hang out in the Haven together!

• Like 2

Ah, yes. The last day before the day before the cruise. I spent today in the midst of a minor tornado of lists, pet sitter instructions, post-it notes, final household chores, laundry, and 3 stacks of “stuff” waiting to be actually packed into 1) carry-on bag, 2) bag for the overhead bin, and 3) a suitcase. This stack? Needed for tomorrow night at the hotel. That stack? Needed for the next day when we board. That really-big-pile of stuff? Well, honey THAT big ole mess is for the cruise! Love that word: C R U I S E. 

I was somewhat enlightened today about the differences between men and woman. Well, OK, no generalizing. (At least publicly.) So fine, SOME of the differences between THIS man and THIS woman (but I know there will be some sisters out there who will get what I am sayin’).

ME: I started lists, notes, reminders, and made plans months ago. Months. I have Word documents on my computer with things like “foods to try”, “drinks to drink”, tips from others here at CCI that I want to remember, don’t forget to check this out, go here, and maybe do this. That kinda stuff. And today I spent all day cleaning, organizing, and hunting and gathering. Lists are made to be crossed off, people. 

DH: No excitement or particular interest in the cruise for the months leading up it. Then (movement!) yesterday he dragged his suitcase up from the garage. (Whoa! He’s starting!) This morning he got up, had coffee, and packed everything. An hour later that suitcase was in the back of our car. He’s done.

I started at 8:00 am and just finished at 3:00 pm. Final tally:

DH = 1 hour

Me: Several months on and off and today, 7 hours   

Sure could use a nifty frozen cruise drink right about now! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 29