Options for lunch on Embarkation Day

wesport

2 minutes ago, wesport said:

What are the options for lunch on embarkation day. Is it just the Lido?

The Main Dining Room  on deck 6 midship should be open from about 12 to 1:30.  If your ship has Alfredos you can get the best pizza there - made after you order it.

In addition to an MDR (usually open noon to 1:30), Alfredo's/Gigi's pizza restaurants (no charge) on ships that have them will be open.

Added: 

The Alfredo's/Gigi's on Royal class ships also offer antipasto, a pasta dish (or two) and salads in addition to a selection of pizzas.  The International Cafe (which is on almost all ships) offers small sandwiches, salads and desserts at no charge and will be open too.

Edited by capriccio

What ship?

All ships schedule one DR open usually noon to 1:30

Almost all ships have an International Cafe, take away food to your table

All ships have a buffet that will be open

Royal Class ships have Alfredo's waiter served pizza and other menu items

The Grand and Sapphire also have Alfedo's, pizza only.

All ships have pools side grill and pizza by the slice(exception Majestic). Majestic has a noodle bar.

Food items available on the app.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just wondering:  If ship leaves at 10:00 PM on embarkation day, would the dining rooms be open later for lunch?  I think the boarding time will be 1:00 (in Boston)-- how early can you actually get on board?

13 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Just wondering:  If ship leaves at 10:00 PM on embarkation day, would the dining rooms be open later for lunch?  I think the boarding time will be 1:00 (in Boston)-- how early can you actually get on board?

I'm fairly certain that the ship's scheduled arrival is 7am. I had previously looked this up on the Princess web site. Disembarking passengers should be all off in the normal time frame, between 9:30 and 10am. New passengers should also begin boarding in the normal manner, which begins between 10:30 and 11am. The DR as well as all other food venues should be open for lunch as normal. For the DR that is noon to 1:30. Dinner will also be at the normal times. I imagine there will be some sort of deck event for the sail away at 10pm. 

We don't even discuss it anymore, we just head to whichever MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. On our last Princess cruise on the Majestic, it was listed on the Patter we received at check-in. We'll both have small bags with us but there's always a place for them. We usually sit at a table for six or eight and have a lovely relaxing lunch while we wait for our cabin to be available. It's such a pleasant way to start the cruise.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, 2theship said:

We don't even discuss it anymore, we just head to whichever MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. On our last Princess cruise on the Majestic, it was listed on the Patter we received at check-in. We'll both have small bags with us but there's always a place for them. We usually sit at a table for six or eight and have a lovely relaxing lunch while we wait for our cabin to be available. It's such a pleasant way to start the cruise.

Our first, last and only meal in the MDR is lunch on embarkation day.  We love being in a much quieter atmosphere compared to the chaos of the buffet.  Always the Crown Grill on embarkation evening for dinner.  We are such creatures of habit lol.

We will head to whichever dining room is open, as my hubby needs to use his mobility scooter and it is impossible to get it into the buffet on embarkation for lunch with all the chaos going on!  

1 hour ago, 2theship said:

We are just the opposite. We want to go right to our stateroom so we board after 1:00 after an early lunch on shore and avoid all the crowds. I have never seen a line for check in the afternoon. Do not like lines

1 hour ago, Scotmay said:

We will head to whichever dining room is open, as my hubby needs to use his mobility scooter and it is impossible to get it into the buffet on embarkation for lunch with all the chaos going on!  

I just tell DW to run people over to get them out of my way 🤣....JK

Posted (edited)

We're also in the MDR lunch camp for embarkation day.  So much more relaxing and civilized.  And with usually having our smaller carryon bags with us, we don't need the chaos and searching for a table in the buffet area to start our vacation...enjoy being pampered a bit!  

Another option is the International Cafe if you don't want a big meal or to wait for service in the MDR.  

Edited by Cruzinnana47
  • Like 1

Recent cruises (and confirmed by head waiter in Reserve Collection)…

Several ships that I have sailed recently have the following:

Reserve Collection / Deck 6 / side dependent on class of ship.  Grand/GEM is starboard.

MDR lunch for other passengers has been in Aft dining room / Deck 6.  I don’t know if this has gone fleet wide, but has been for the ships I’ve been on (YMMV).  Breakfast and sea day lunch has also been in aft dining room.

I have to admit, that Reserve Collection lunches on sea days have been very quiet and unrushed on Sea Days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Reserve Collection / Deck 6 / side dependent on class of ship.  Grand/GEM is starboard.

MDR lunch for other passengers has been in Aft dining room / Deck 6.  I don’t know if this has gone fleet wide, but has been for the ships I’ve been on (YMMV).  Breakfast and sea day lunch has also been in aft dining room.

I have to admit, that Reserve Collection lunches on sea days have been very quiet and unrushed on Sea Days.

This has been my experience on the Grand, Emerald and Crown over the last year. 

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

1 hour ago, memoak said:

This has been my experience on the Grand, Emerald and Crown over the last year. 

Thanks to you both.

So, just to confirm what to expect please.

For embarkation and sea day lunches Reserve Class would be in their normal mid ship restaurant, whilst others would use the aft restaurant ?

(Diamond Princess)