Princess Cruise Beverage Packages

2disneycruisers

Hello all!
We have an upcoming cruise on Princess….we have heard of recent changes made in regards to beverage plans and packages. We understand the “classic soda package” and “new grounds coffee package” will no longer be available on any Princess Cruise (all cruises after February 20, 2023). Is this true?
Is Princess Cruise Line really trying to force all passengers into purchasing the Princess Plus or Princess Premiere packages? Is there no consideration for passengers who don’t drink alcohol or don’t drink enough to support the cost of these all-in-one packages? Or is this just simply a way for the cruise line to redeem money lost during the pandemic? 

Princess had for years offered a coffee card with 15 drinks that could carry over from one cruise to the next and then it evolved into the New Grounds Coffee Package with no carry over of unused drinks.  Coffee drinkers have always loved to have this available, especially those who don’t need an alcohol package.  Yes, this has now become a thing of the past, sadly.  However, I must point out that most other cruise lines have never offered this type of package for coffee drinkers.  We’ve always had to buy our specialty coffees, which can add up.

Yes, I think that Princess is strongly encouraging their guests to purchase Princess Plus or Premiere, as is every cruiseline right now pushing their Extras Packages, except, of course, luxury brands that are all inclusive.  It’s the new way and like it or not it’s become a standard of the cruise industry.

• Like 1

We are on Discover at the moment , we were able to exchange mini bar for Coffee Card .The Soda pkg was purchased a while ago .

In the past we have had the Package …much easier I must say ,as an Insulin Dependant Diabetic juice and deserts are off limits . We plan on having one drink a day which is fine for us.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Princess had for years offered a coffee card with 15 drinks that could carry over from one cruise to the next and then it evolved into the New Grounds Coffee Package with no carry over of unused drinks.  Coffee drinkers have always loved to have this available, especially those who don’t need an alcohol package.  Yes, this has now become a thing of the past, sadly.  However, I must point out that most other cruise lines have never offered this type of package for coffee drinkers.  We’ve always had to buy our specialty coffees, which can add up.

Yes, I think that Princess is strongly encouraging their guests to purchase Princess Plus or Premiere, as is every cruiseline right now pushing their Extras Packages, except, of course, luxury brands that are all inclusive.  It’s the new way and like it or not it’s become a standard of the cruise industry.

The Discovery started a cruise yesterday and was selling beverage packages on Day 1 and also the New Grounds Coffee package!  Same price, no increase on the coffee package.

Not so on the Sky or Regal. 😞

Waiting till tmrw to see what Enchanted will do for her new sailing.

5 hours ago, 2disneycruisers said:

Is Princess Cruise Line really trying to force all passengers into purchasing the Princess Plus or Princess Premiere packages? Is there no consideration for passengers who don’t drink alcohol or don’t drink enough to support the cost of these all-in-one packages?

I’m not sure I understand your math. If a person does not drink alcohol, then they just spend 5-10 minutes doing the math, estimating what their on board expenditures will likely be and comparing that to a package. If “pay as you go” works out better, do that. If a package works out better, do that. Princess is not “forcing” anyone to do anything other than a small amount of 3rd grade math homework to see where the better bargain lies. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I’m not sure I understand your math. If a person does not drink alcohol, then they just spend 5-10 minutes doing the math, estimating what their on board expenditures will likely be and comparing that to a package. If “pay as you go” works out better, do that. If a package works out better, do that. Princess is not “forcing” anyone to do anything other than a small amount of 3rd grade math homework to see where the better bargain lies. 

I think some of us would like a Plus package with out alcohol at a lower rate. Doesn't seem that unreasonable. They sell Chef's Table at a cheaper rate for those who don't drink wine. Sell non-alcohol Plus for $45 pp per day or so.

They already have 2 tiers, not difficult to add a 3rd tier.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think some of us would like a Plus package with out alcohol at a lower rate. Doesn't seem that unreasonable. They sell Chef's Table at a cheaper rate for those who don't drink wine. Sell non-alcohol Plus for $45 pp per day or so.

They added a second more expensive tier. But, maybe they could add a non-alcohol version for $50?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2disneycruisers said:

Also…..does anyone know how much canned soda or bottled water each passenger is allowed to bring aboard a Princess Cruise Line ship on embarkation day? Is it different for each ship or the same for the entire fleet?

No bottled water.  You can purchase in your cruise personalizer. 

1 hour ago, Coral said:

They have one. It is the Zero Alcohol Package. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Thank you... Exactly. If you do not drink alcohol, you may be drinking many other things and not need to worry because it will be included... Like bottled water to take on shore excursions... A virgin pina colada...and of course that Caramel Macchiato in the morning... I could go on.

Edited by nini
Spelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

They have one. It is the Zero Alcohol Package. 

It doesn't include tips and WIFI.

It is weird - I don't drink coffees but do like hot chocolate. So the soda card doesn't include hot chocolate. The Zero Alcohol package is super expensive compared to the Plus package which includes tips and WIFI.

Just provide a package with out alcohol that also includes tips and WIFI.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coral said:

It doesn't include tips and WIFI.

It is weird - I don't drink coffees but do like hot chocolate. So the soda card doesn't include hot chocolate. The Zero Alcohol package is super expensive compared to the Plus package which includes tips and WIFI.

Just provide a package with out alcohol that also includes tips and WIFI.

So true.  But, I hate to see PCL turn into an all inclusive cruiseline.  Seems that’s the way it’s headed.  I hope not. 

It seems like these packages are rolling out without thought or simple math.  

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

So true.  But, I hate to see PCL turn into an all inclusive cruiseline.  Seems that’s the way it’s headed.  I hope not. 

It seems like these packages are rolling out without thought or simple math.  

I agree - I don't want all inconclusive either. 

The packages just don't make sense.  I also don't like the fact that the Plus package has increased 50% recently. Three different prices on my 3 different cruises the past year.

34 minutes ago, Coral said:

The packages just don't make sense.  I also don't like the fact that the Plus package has increased 50% recently. Three different prices on my 3 different cruises the past year.

Margins  must be better on alcoholic packages than non alcoholic. Even though they say you can have up to 15 alcoholic drinks a day, I doubt most purchasers come anywhere close to that. Who wants to spend half their cruise in the cabin with hangovers?

All inclusive is nice for the convenience of not having to spend time completing transactions but I've not really found it to be a better value.

12 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

Even though they say you can have up to 15 alcoholic drinks a day, I doubt most purchasers come anywhere close to that. Who wants to spend half their cruise in the cabin with hangovers

We will normally get to at least 12, on a sea day. No problem with a hangover either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We will normally get to at least 12, on a sea day. No problem with a hangover either.

That's impressive. If I go over 4 glasses of red wine in a day I know I will feel some kind of headache the next morning. 

Like anything you have to break everything down to see if it fits into your budget. The Princess Plus package includes, Crew Appreciation, WIFI, beverages and a few other add-ons. This package is an additional $420. The crew appreciation is $119, WIFI is $105 and the beverage portion is $195. That is for a 7 day cruise. Per day it's $17, $15 and $28 respectively. $28 is pretty easy to spend depending on how much specialty coffee, mocktails, bottled water and soft drinks you may consume in a day. The only real question is do you need the WIFI? Remember that is per person. I'm not sure if other cruise lines offer this kind of package, but Royal Caribbean only has a beverage package and that is currently selling at $75.99/day plus 18% gratuity for a cruise I am on in two weeks. That's $628 for the 7 day cruise and that's just for drinks. Add the crew appreciation and WIFI (if you want it) and that's another $225 plus.

Edited by nasa1974
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have 6 cruises booked for this year and took 4 last year since I book pretty far out I have only been charged the original price

12 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

They added a second more expensive tier. But, maybe they could add a non-alcohol version for $50?  

There has to be some limit to the amount of plans offered. What if I don’t want WiFi or alcohol but I want specialty dining, unlimited fitness classes and no desserts ?    I could go on I do not know any cruise lines that offer a “cafeteria” style of packages