Question on canceling or moving the date?

ann4576

8 hours ago, Spurschick said:

By the time you reach final payment and can try to reprice the fares are way more than you get booking early. I have cruises for 2024 booked that are already 3x more that the rate I booked at.

Yes as I said in another post, times have changed and prices no longer drop as you get closer to final payment.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, fac429 said:

Legend has it that if you call and ask them to move your sailing- and in particular if you're moving to a more expensive cruise (either because of itinerary or cabin)- you may be able to speak with a supervisor that can waive the $100/pp change fee.  But you have to ask VERY NICELY, you may be on hold for hours, and there's no guaranty it will work.  

Tried this last night, did not work. Asked very nicely, to two different agents. Was escalated to resolutions but no luck. It was a move from Mariner 6-night to Harmony 7-night and was almost double the cost. No getting around that $100pp change fee. 

1 hour ago, cot427 said:

Tried this last night, did not work. Asked very nicely, to two different agents. Was escalated to resolutions but no luck. It was a move from Mariner 6-night to Harmony 7-night and was almost double the cost. No getting around that $100pp change fee. 

I called yesterday to upgrade a cabin on a future sailing - had to tell the person multiple times there was NO penalty if I wasn't changing ship or sail date as they were convinced the fee would be charged.  That said it was worth the otherwise frustrating hold and conversation since I got the upgrade at what seems to be a better deal than expected by a few bucks.  

I'd go on the cruise or at least ask the future parents if they even want anyone to visit right away. I would not anyone in the waiting room or for at least a couple of weeks after giving birth. Maybe, even more time. Plus, the kid could be early, on time or late...

• Like 1

I would have requested to attend the birth virtually via Zoom.  

First time for everything.  Watching your grandchild being born via Zoom while in a hot tub on a cruise ship.

You could share your allowed 1 bottle per person bottle of wine with the other occupants.

Edited by soremekun

21 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I'd go on the cruise or at least ask the future parents if they even want anyone to visit right away. I would not anyone in the waiting room or for at least a couple of weeks after giving birth. Maybe, even more time. Plus, the kid could be early, on time or late...

I, on the other hand, wanted my family close.  I wanted my kids to meet their grandparents as soon as possible, the village that would be there to help raise them.  No way I’d take the chance to miss the birth of my grandchild.

Edited by poocher

6 hours ago, cot427 said:

Ah, that's a bummer.  Maybe it helps to threaten to take a totally different cruise with a different company...

5 hours ago, soremekun said:

I would have requested to attend the birth virtually via Zoom.  

I have 6 grands, 3 daughters.  I was able to be there for 3 of them as their moms wanted me in the room.  Another was an emergency C section. Missed it of course.  Last 2, I watched on a video call because I couldn’t make it in time, one I was on the side of the road somewhere in Oklahoma on my way!  

I completely understand.  My daughters wanted me there. They wouldn’t have forgiven me if I was on a ship somewhere.  Of course everyone’s different.  Some daughters or DIL wouldn’t even want you to visit in the hospital.  

Congrats to the grandparents!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I have 6 grands, 3 daughters.  I was able to be there for 3 of them as their moms wanted me in the room.  Another was an emergency C section. Missed it of course.  Last 2, I watched on a video call because I couldn’t make it in time, one I was on the side of the road somewhere in Oklahoma on my way!  

I completely understand.  My daughters wanted me there. They wouldn’t have forgiven me if I was on a ship somewhere.  Of course everyone’s different.  Some daughters or DIL wouldn’t even want you to visit in the hospital.  

Congrats to the grandparents!

It's great that you were able to make three of them. Very important events to be a part of.

Tongue in cheek post.

Edited by soremekun

On 2/26/2023 at 9:26 PM, ann4576 said:

We are booked on the Independence of the Seas for Oct 13th. We've only paid the deposit so far and the final payment isn't due till July. Well, today we found out that we are going to be grandparents! Due date is October 16th. So, of course, we aren't going to be able to go on this cruise. My question is, can we change to a different cruise date with the existing deposit or are we going to loose our non-refundable deposit? Can we get a future cruise credit with the deposit? I've emailed them but I'm impatient and I'm hoping someone here will have an answer. 

The cost of moving the cruise cannot compare with the joy of being there for a new grandchild. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 2:33 PM, fac429 said:

Legend has it that if you call and ask them to move your sailing- and in particular if you're moving to a more expensive cruise (either because of itinerary or cabin)- you may be able to speak with a supervisor that can waive the $100/pp change fee.  But you have to ask VERY NICELY, you may be on hold for hours, and there's no guaranty it will work.  

First of all, my sincerest apologies to the OP for hacking his post and asking my own question But since the discussion has moved to different scenarios I thought I would present mine.

What if you want to move to a smaller cabin and moving would greatly benefit Royal Caribbean monetarily?  We are currently booked (booked 3/22) with 3 people in the Villa Suite on Symphony in April, 24.  I was going to add the other children after I booked once they finalized their schedules. Unfortunately, things have come up and they can't go.

I am pretty sure Royal Caribbean would prefer filling that cabin at today's prices, something that would be easy to do, rather than having just 3 people sailing in a 4 bedroom cabin.  I am planning on visiting next cruise next month to see what my options are to move it to later in the year. I am also trying to get ahead of the game and book a cabin I want before they kick us out at final payment for not meeting the occupancy requirements.

Before I visit, I would like to know from the experts what my options are. Unfortunately, we did not book with a TA. Since I booked before 6/22, will my whole deposit be transferred, will I lose $300 (not a big deal and what I expect) or will I Iose the entire $750.  Do they look at individual scenarios such as a rare Villa suite is much more profitable with 8 than 3? 

Thanks. We are pretty new to cruising only having 3 under our belt, 1 Carnival and 2 Royal Caribbean, so I apologize for the newbie question.

Edited by cruise_co

21 minutes ago, cruise_co said:

First of all, my sincerest apologies to the OP for hacking his post and asking my own question But since the discussion has moved to different scenarios I thought I would present mine.

What if you want to move to a smaller cabin and moving would greatly benefit Royal Caribbean monetarily?  We are currently booked (booked 3/22) with 3 people in the Villa Suite on Symphony in April, 24.  I was going to add the other children after I booked once they finalized their schedules. Unfortunately, things have come up and they can't go.

I am pretty sure Royal Caribbean would prefer filling that cabin at today's prices, something that would be easy to do, rather than having just 3 people sailing in a 4 bedroom cabin.  I am planning on visiting next cruise next month to see what my options are to move it to later in the year. I am also trying to get ahead of the game and book a cabin I want before they kick us out at final payment for not meeting the occupancy requirements.

Before I visit, I would like to know from the experts what my options are. Unfortunately, we did not book with a TA. Since I booked before 6/22, will my whole deposit be transferred, will I lose $300 (not a big deal and what I expect) or will I Iose the entire $750.  Do they look at individual scenarios such as a rare Villa suite is much more profitable with 8 than 3? 

Thanks. We are pretty new to cruising only having 3 under our belt, 1 Carnival and 2 Royal Caribbean, so I apologize for the newbie question.

They wouldnt care if prices went up so they can resell it for more. They wouldnt waive any rebooking fees. .. though it sounds like you are hoping to save money by moving to a cheaper smaller cabin. I'd say too late to move for a march cruise. They wouldnt refund any money by moving. Go and enjoy.

@OurusualbeachI'm sure deals with clients all the time and his post about the costs to cancel or move will be the rules. They dont make exceptions because your price went up.

Edited by firefly333

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They wouldnt care if prices went up so they can resell it for more. They wouldnt waive any rebooking fees. .. though it sounds like you are hoping to save money by moving to a cheaper smaller cabin. I'd say too late to move for a march cruise. They wouldnt refund any money by moving. Go and enjoy.

@OurusualbeachI'm sure deals with clients all the time and his post about the costs to cancel or move will be the rules. They dont make exceptions because your price went up.

Thanks for the input. Sorry I wasn't clear. We would want to move the 3 of us to a smaller cabin preferably still in Star or Sky for later in 2024 or 2025, not move it up to this year. I really don't care if they keep the $100 per person transfer fee as I was aware of that when I booked. I just have read so many different and changing scenarios about cancelling and transferring deposits that I am getting confused where we sit with our situation and I want to be fully prepared when I sit down with NextCruise knowing what my options are.

This isn't about just the price going up, it is about a 4 bedroom star class suite for just 3 people. It seems like such a waste if a larger family can enjoy it instead. Looking at prices for '24 and '25, I am probably going to pay more for a smaller cabin anyway. If they want the whole deposit it might just be more beneficial for us to stay in the Villa suite with just the 3 of us.  We will just have to have a party in the 2 extra bedrooms! 

I will give them a call and see what is possible although not confident the customer service agent knows any more than I do. Thanks all!

1 hour ago, cruise_co said:

There is no fee as long as you are not changing ship or sail date. 

On 2/28/2023 at 7:52 AM, vjmatty said:

I don't think you can book refundable on JS and above

Actually you can book refundable on JS.  It's GS and above you can't.  We just did on our January cruise and now on our cruise next March

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just moved sailing/ship and incurred the fee BUT in the grand scheme of things it was still worth it.  I was hopeful though it would be overlooked lol, but sheesh, since you can't make these changes online, it would be nice if any fees were reduced by the hold time to get to someone who can make the change!

On 2/26/2023 at 10:37 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Depending on when the cruise was booked....

If it was booked prior to June 1, 2022 then if you cancel there is a $100pp fee and the rest is issued as a FCC.  If it was booked after June 1, 2022 then yes, cancelling outright is a loss of the entire deposit. 

So, just like starting over if you have a non-refundable deposit? Can't even pay a fee to move to diff ship?

12 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

So, just like starting over if you have a non-refundable deposit? Can't even pay a fee to move to diff ship?

Yes, you can pay the fee to move to a different ship.  If booked before Jun1 1 it also gives you the option of an FCC

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, you can pay the fee to move to a different ship.  If booked before Jun1 1 it also gives you the option of an FCC

So, just found out 4 cruises booked in Jan 23 are non-refundable. Is that due to the discount fare? Is there always a refundable choice at some price.

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

So, just found out 4 cruises booked in Jan 23 are non-refundable. Is that due to the discount fare? Is there always a refundable choice at some price.

There is always a refundable fare.

All the fares you see on Royals site are non refundable.  If you want to see refundable you have to go all the way to the end of the booking process and it will give you the option to make it refundable for an extra XXX$.

The only cabins that are always non refundable are GS and above

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is always a refundable fare.

All the fares you see on Royals site are non refundable.  If you want to see refundable you have to go all the way to the end of the booking process and it will give you the option to make it refundable for an extra XXX$.

The only cabins that are always non refundable are GS and above

Thank you! 

• Like 1