Celebrity excursions - is walking considered "strenuous"?

Joanne G.

I have been looking at excursions for my 2024 Mediterranean cruise on the Equinox.   Most of those that interest me are labeled "strenuous", though the description mentions only walking - maybe on cobblestones, maybe some steps, maybe an incline though not hiking up a mountain LOL.  Knowing my fitness level, I will pass on other excursions labeled strenuous, such as the biking and kayaking options.  It seems odd to classify a walking tour of a city the same as those athletic activities. 

I am a senior citizen with no mobility issues.  I would not want to sightsee only from a bus window, but I won't want to get in over my head, either. Can I feel confident taking these "strenuous" excursions?   

That is a hard one to answer but part of it is 'where is the walk/hike'.  A few weeks ago I did the rain forest hike (Caribbean) that was 'strenuous'.   It sort of was but what was more important is/was footwear.  There were muddy spots, climbing up over damp, thigh high rocks, down them, etc. In the Med. the only problem that I can remember is how slick, some inclines, even the dry rock was in some places just because it was 'polished' from all the foot traffic, even with hiking shoes it was real interesting.  That's my two cents worth as you can tell it's a real YMMV type of thing.  But do make sure you have the right shoes for the task that is very important!  (I should have taken a picture of the 'shoes' one woman had on, it was just LOL.) 

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I should add another thing, it is one thing if it is a one way hike or a round trip.  With a round trip you can just bail out and go back,  if it's one way you have to do it or, I'm not sure what they would do, maybe send a taxi for you or something. 

I agree that shoes are half the game.  If you go somewhere like the Parthenon, the surfaces are uneven, there can be awkward steps and the ground can be very slippery.  If you have mobility issues, it can be a challenge and tiring.  However, in my view, it would not be overly strenuous to most people, especially if the weather is nice.  However, the cruise lines are always going to be very conservative when it comes to describing the risks associated with an excursion.   

• Like 1

Some walking tours can be strenuous, especially if the paving stones/cobblestones are uneven or poorly maintained. People  may be able to answer better if you name the ports/cities you are considering…The time of year is also a factor too. Walking through the Acropolis and down through Plaka in August is strenuous even for a really fit person! Weather is also a factor, sloping cobbled areas of Lisbon and Venice are not particularly challenging on a dry day but can be really hard work if it rains.

Some excursions actually list approximately length on walk and number of steps…Worth looking.

13 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

But do make sure you have the right shoes for the task that is very important!  (I should have taken a picture of the 'shoes' one woman had on, it was just LOL.) 

Totally agree…scary to see people walking around Ephesus in flip flops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I have been looking at excursions for my 2024 Mediterranean cruise on the Equinox.   Most of those that interest me are labeled "strenuous", though the description mentions only walking - maybe on cobblestones, maybe some steps, maybe an incline though not hiking up a mountain LOL.  Knowing my fitness level, I will pass on other excursions labeled strenuous, such as the biking and kayaking options.  It seems odd to classify a walking tour of a city the same as those athletic activities. 

I am a senior citizen with no mobility issues.  I would not want to sightsee only from a bus window, but I won't want to get in over my head, either. Can I feel confident taking these "strenuous" excursions?   

It's more to do with insurance than anything else. Look at the description and see if there is an upper age stated.

I know this will cause debates about how fit you are or aren't but it's irrelevant if do don't meet the age requirement shown by Celebrity you won't be covered. If this is the case look at independent tours (often by the same companies ) and you will probably find different requirements. Or look at using a private guide, our choice is Toursbylocals, and share the cost with others on your Roll Call. If you go that route book early,  we always book first and then look for people to share. Good luck.

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Totally agree…scary to see people walking around Ephesus in flip flops.

We have seen women wearing 2-3” strappy high heels and trying to navigate cobblestone roads.   At the Acropolis they’re was 1 that 2 people were having to hold on to her to keep her from falling. 

Personally I find that Celebrity uses the term strenuous far to often.    I would suggest reading the description and choose on your own.   I find that often if the walk is over a mile they consider it strenuous.   If you are comfortable walking 1-3 miles on uneven surfaces I would think you will be comfortable on any of the tours. 

We were on a cruise recently in Portugal and went to an island with a hike.   They offered two different hikes -  One to the top of the island (which was definitely invigorating) and they other took a rather flat path in the opposite direction.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input.   The excursions in question include a few of the Cinque Terre villages (walking within them, which I expect to be hilly, but not walking between them), Nice and Eze, Florence from Livorno, and Pompeii.   The descriptions mentioned walking distances of 1 - 3 miles, which isn't strenuous to me.   

On vacations last year in Ireland and London, I walked up to 11 miles a day sightseeing, so it appears I will be fine - with appropriate shoes, definitely.  Thankfully, I didn't see an upper age limit on any of the excursions. 

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

. . . Totally agree…scary to see people walking around Ephesus in flip flops.

A few years ago, I climbed the pyramid at the Xunantunich Mayan ruins in Belize.   The steps were steep, narrow, worn smooth from age, and there was nothing to hold on to.   Yet some women attempted it in flip flops or stylish sandals.   I had on my unstylish senior citizen shoes, which is what I will be wearing on the Mediterranean excursions.  🙂

• Like 2

I think the main thing is you've read that and come prepared.

Last summer I did two 'strenuous' tours, the Acropolis in Athens which I had done before so knew I'd be fine - apparently some people came having not read the description and refused to do the climb (they also walked off from the tour without telling the guide where they were going when they were supposed to wait at the bottom for us, can imagine how that went).

The other was in Rhodes towards the end, it was a long day and the climb to the acropolis in the heat was a little much. Made it up ok because of my shoes and water but coming down was slippery with the stones.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:36 PM, Lena11033 said:

I think the main thing is you've read that and come prepared.

Last summer I did two 'strenuous' tours, the Acropolis in Athens which I had done before so knew I'd be fine - apparently some people came having not read the description and refused to do the climb (they also walked off from the tour without telling the guide where they were going when they were supposed to wait at the bottom for us, can imagine how that went).

The other was in Rhodes towards the end, it was a long day and the climb to the acropolis in the heat was a little much. Made it up ok because of my shoes and water but coming down was slippery with the stones.

How is the Acropolis climb?  Do you feel like you’re about to fall over backwards?  Or is it not too bad for most people?  Or is it endless steps up?  Asking for a friend.

54 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How is the Acropolis climb?  Do you feel like you’re about to fall over backwards?  Or is it not too bad for most people?  Or is it endless steps up?  Asking for a friend.

Honestly the one I did years prior was worse. The tour took people up the easier route so it’s not bad for most people

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Not been there for about 4/5 years. It had some well paved areas but other areas were less well maintained, gentle slope to more strenuous stepped areas. You need to be alert but for an average fit adult (including older adult) in sensible footwear it is very doable. Only other thing I would suggest to your friend is to either avoid the hottest Summer months or if you can’t schedule your tour for early morning or late afternoon. If your friend is staying in Athens alert her to the sound and light show in the evening, wonderful.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

I had no issue but took a private tour with just 4 of us. I no longer book tours with Celebrity that says 'strenuous' the large group size moves too fast for me. I have COPD and going uphill is difficult for me unless I can stop for a minute and rest. We often take tours that are 3-4 miles of walking but not marked 'strenuous' by Celebrity even the small group tours are 20 people or more.

It can be very very hot and seems endless.the first ( and last) time  we did it was at 7:00 am before the crowds came. There is a lovely terraced cafe opposite the main path that we will have lemonade and pastry at  while our kids and grandkids climb in June.

For Florence, the walk from where the bus stops into the centre is flat but a good 15 mins each way, shaded though because of the buildings.  Our guide didn’t hang around either.

Pisa was worse though.  20+ mins in blazing sun with little to no shade, it was flat but some people really suffered on that one.  That one should really should carry a health warning.  There seemed to be a trolley bus, but it was never mentioned by our guide so we presumed it was for another group.

25 minutes ago, nijh said:

For Florence, the walk from where the bus stops into the centre is flat but a good 15 mins each way, shaded though because of the buildings.  Our guide didn’t hang around either.

Pisa was worse though.  20+ mins in blazing sun with little to no shade, it was flat but some people really suffered on that one.  That one should really should carry a health warning.  There seemed to be a trolley bus, but it was never mentioned by our guide so we presumed it was for another group.

Thank you for the reminder that heat is a factor. My Mediterranean cruise is in early September next year, which is still summer.  So, I do need to be prepared for heat (lots of water and a hat) as well as the walking distance (appropriate shoes). 

I booked this as a solo, thinking I might invite someone to join me, but now I know to make these issues clear to any potential travel partner.

By the way, I love that Celebrity makes excursion options available for review so far in advance - and even before booking, as that helped me commit to this particular cruise.  

Edited by Joanne G.

As a fit 61 year old I can see both sides.  I’ve been on excursions where a few people were not able to keep up with the group.  I’m sure it wasn’t a pleasant experience for them and it definitely wasn’t a pleasant experience for the rest of us.  
I’m not sure I would consider any of Celebrity’s excursions strenuous but when labelled strenuous people do indeed have to be in good shape and capable of walking miles on rough surfaces and hot temperatures.  

• Thanks 1

"Strenuous" is totally subjective for each of us.  We need to apply common sense and know our own health conditions.  Not for a tour-operator to define for you.  I guess it does help if others here on CC describe what they found to be strenuous on any given tour but you really do not know their normal level of activity.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

I was 69 when I did the climb up to the Acropolis.  I have a left knee that I destroyed while in college and the predicted arthritis has set in.  I do, however, take long bicycle rides to keep my muscles in shape.

On this trip, I brought a collapsible cane to help on downhill slopes and rough walkways.

It was August and blazing hot for some people. However, being from Florida (and for thirty years before that, the hellhole that is central Maryland in the summer), I found it just a normal summer day.

The trip up was good, sloping walkways or stairs.

The trip down put more stress on my knees and I went more slowly on the steeper stairs (use of stair handrails and going down side ways) and using the cane on the downhill slopes.

Anyone attempting the climb should wear good walking shoes and be in good aerobic condition. Any physical mobility problems need to be carefully thought about by the climber.

On 2/27/2023 at 6:30 PM, Joanne G. said:

Thank you all for your input.   The excursions in question include a few of the Cinque Terre villages (walking within them, which I expect to be hilly, but not walking between them), Nice and Eze, Florence from Livorno, and Pompeii.   The descriptions mentioned walking distances of 1 - 3 miles, which isn't strenuous to me.   

On vacations last year in Ireland and London, I walked up to 11 miles a day sightseeing, so it appears I will be fine - with appropriate shoes, definitely.  Thankfully, I didn't see an upper age limit on any of the excursions. 

Pompeii was the only one we thought was difficult.  There were people on our bus who were not allowed to walk with the group because they had canes or were in wheelchairs.   I agreed with that once we started walking over uneven cobblestone (I believe there were cobblestones) rocks for quite a ways.    Once they mentioned we should climb the Mt.  I said no way after that.  

BTW I've never had any  trouble hiking or climbing in the past so unless something has changed this was a few years ago (2013).    

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I was 69 when I did the climb up to the Acropolis. 

Whoops! 

Typical tourist error and I do know better.

I climbed up to the Parthenon.  The Acropolis is the whole area that includes the Parthenon.