Beyond Wifi Exorbitently High

Ethanol95

Hello just wanted some input from y'all. Now, i'm not a new cruiser by any means (although a first timer on X cruises). This is my first time sailing on a 10N+ cruise, but surely paying $329.89 USD for wifi for the duration of the entire cruise is ridiculous. 1/3 of 1k just on wifi for 1 device is exorbitently high. Is this pricing normal for all X cruises. Just wondering how people afford the wifi on longer cruises given most X sailings are generally longer than other cruise lines. I would at least think the longer duration the cruise, the lower the price per device per day would be.

Edited by Ethanol95
  • Haha 2

$35 per night sounds about right for Celebrity's premium access. Basic should be less, though you'll get less use out of it.

I'm on the Summit RIGHT NOW doing a run from Miami to Cozumel. I have basic Internet provided by Starlink. Here's my latest test:

Screenshot_20230227-205322.png.a2a3dae5d0ceef0b39d6af1e8544f6ac.png

If you go without, you're not missing much, IMHO. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

WOW, this IS high.  And, I thought my $199 for 16 night Premium on HAL in May is high.  Although, I am sure your Starlink is going to function much better than mine.  I haven't cruised Celebrity since last July and the package was included.

That sounds like a steal to me now.

54 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

We’ve always had basic wi-fi as part of our package and have found the cost to upgrade crazy.

What package is that?

I do need to be connected for work reasons.

10 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

What package is that?

The All-Included option that you can opt for when booking your cruise (or it comes with Aqua and maybe Concierge). I'm in Aqua for 7 nights in July and with my Captain's Club discount for upgrading I only paid $69.93 for Stream.

13 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

So..work should reimburse you or pay for it outright if they're going to require you to be connected on your vacation.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The All-Included option that you can opt for when booking your cruise (or it comes with Aqua and maybe Concierge). I'm in Aqua for 7 nights in July and with my Captain's Club discount for upgrading I only paid $69.93 for Stream.

So..work should reimburse you or pay for it outright if they're going to require you to be connected on your vacation.

I'm in Prime Concierge class, do you know if it's included in that category? What tier are you for CC?

Just now, Ethanol95 said:

I'm in Prime Concierge class, do you know if it's included in that category? What tier are you for CC?

I'm Aqua - not Concierge.

It looks like Concierge you have to opt in for All Included (though that is the default selection and you have to consciously check cruise only).

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm Aqua - not Concierge.

It looks like Concierge you have to opt in for All Included (though that is the default selection and you have to consciously check cruise only).

Sorry i meant what tier are you in the Captain's club loyalty? 

I see that there's a perk on Celebrity's website for Elite members 30% off wifi package or Wi-Fi upgrade. Does that mean i can get Basic and upgrade FOC to Premium wifi?

1 hour ago, Ethanol95 said:

Hello just wanted some input from y'all. Now, i'm not a new cruiser by any means (although a first timer on X cruises). This is my first time sailing on a 10N+ cruise, but surely paying $329.89 USD for wifi for the duration of the entire cruise is ridiculous. 1/3 of 1k just on wifi for 1 device is exorbitently high. Is this pricing normal for all X cruises. Just wondering how people afford the wifi on longer cruises given most X sailings are generally longer than other cruise lines. I would at least think the longer duration the cruise, the lower the price per device per day would be.

We just came off Beyond.   Basic emails worked just fine on both plans as long as there were no photos or need to use  apps like FaceTime.  Even on the Premium Plan, sending attachments like photos did not function consistently.  Same was true with FaceTime as if it went through, the person called usually did not see me and only heard my voice.  However, I could see and hear them when connected.  A staff member told me that was typical for the ship's service and for better results, for me  to use Internet at ports.  That was the case. 

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

We just came off Beyond.   Basic emails worked just fine on both plans as long as there were no photos or need to use  apps like FaceTime.  Even on the Premium Plan, sending attachments like photos did not function consistently.  Same was true with FaceTime as if it went through, the person called usually did not see me and only heard my voice.  However, I could see and hear them when connected.  A staff member told me that was typical for the ship's service and for better results, for me  to use Internet at ports.  That was the case. 

Okay this was my concern as i'll need to do video calls as well. I'm hoping the internet comes through for me. 

11 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Sorry i meant what tier are you in the Captain's club loyalty? 

I see that there's a perk on Celebrity's website for Elite members 30% off wifi package or Wi-Fi upgrade. Does that mean i can get Basic and upgrade FOC to Premium wifi?

Check your booking to see if you got the All Inclusive Plan which would include Basic.  If so, in order to upgrade and receive the 30% off, you have to call Celebrity in order to apply the 30% discount.  If you have Elite status, you would automatically receive 90 free minutes under the Premium Plan and this would be separate from the above.

We had the issues using two different iPhones.

24 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

woyh - that is, IF, work knows they are going on a cruise!!!! LOL

My office always knows when I Am on a sailing, each time I call to have someone in the office to accept documents via email... the response is: I hope your cruise is going well... LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, keesar said:

Check your booking to see if you got the All Inclusive Plan which would include Basic.  If so, in order to upgrade and receive the 30% off, you have to call Celebrity in order to apply the 30% discount.  If you have Elite status, you would automatically receive 90 free minutes under the Premium Plan and this would be separate from the above.

We had the issues using two different iPhones.

Where on your booking invoice would it say that I purchased the all inclusive plan?

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

woyh - that is, IF, work knows they are going on a cruise!!!! LOL

My office always knows when I Am on a sailing, each time I call to have someone in the office to accept documents via email... the response is: I hope your cruise is going well... LOL

bon voyage

Part of my job involves being on a cruise so... They know but can't do much to help 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Part of my job involves being on a cruise so... They know but can't do much to help 😂

Heck, are there any openings????

That is great... maybe I can join the company and lobby for upgraded wi-fi!!!

bon voyage

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ethanol95 said:

That sounds like a steal to me now.

What package is that?

It’s called the basic, very limited in what you can do. For example, WhatsApp photos back home, doesn’t do it, we wait until we can get a free and stronger connection on the islands

39 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Where on your booking invoice would it say that I purchased the all inclusive plan?

If you booked on line after selecting your cabin there is an option to pay a higher fare a get prepaid daily gratuities, the Classic Beverage package and basic wi-fi.  The added cost varies a bit but is generally around $100  +/-pp pd.

On your booking confirmation the line with the cruise fare should read ALLINC and then more code.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

If you booked on line after selecting your cabin there is an option to pay a higher fare a get prepaid daily gratuities, the Classic Beverage package and basic wi-fi.  The added cost varies a bit but is generally around $100  +/-pp pd.

On your booking confirmation the line with the cruise fare should read ALLINC and then more code.  

Oh okay. Nope mine is INTERL NOPERK

15 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

That rate is no perks, no bev package, or wifi and gratuities will be charged to your seapass account daily.  From the code I suspect it's probably an interline rate.

Yes. So i guess its the full fare for wifi then 

7 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Yes. So i guess its the full fare for wifi then 

Or make sure you have a port intensive cruise so you can use land-based Internet.  

You should be ok on the ship if you are only using basic email.

I don't know of an interline discount for WiFi but depending on what allowed you to get that rate, they may have something else to offer onboard. I know corporate employees and contractors on board use a different network. If you just gained the interline rate by proxy I wouldn't count on any discount.