Beyond Wifi Exorbitently High

Ethanol95

12 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Nope i need the full bandwidth. 

I tried a couple of locations on the ship and it made no difference even with the Premium Plan.  You may want to try climbing by the smoke stacks to be closer to the Satellite. 😀

Seriously, I expected more from the Premium Plan but I wonder if it would make a difference what part of the world the ship was located.  For us, service was poor for the first day leaving FLL and from the Dominican Republic back to FLL.  The best service was in the areas around St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

I tried a couple of locations on the ship and it made no difference even with the Premium Plan.  You may want to try climbing by the smoke stacks to be closer to the Satellite. 😀

Seriously, I expected more from the Premium Plan but I wonder if it would make a difference what part of the world the ship was located.  For us, service was poor for the first day leaving FLL and from the Dominican Republic back to FLL.  The best service was in the areas around St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

Hmm interesting, i would think that sailing from FLL would have good internet stability. Maybe the weather was a factor in your internet reception on board? I'll be sailing out of Rome, so I do hope that it is better than what you describe at least. 

4 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Sorry i meant what tier are you in the Captain's club loyalty? 

I see that there's a perk on Celebrity's website for Elite members 30% off wifi package or Wi-Fi upgrade. Does that mean i can get Basic and upgrade FOC to Premium wifi?

I'm Select - so I still get a percentage off but not 30%.

I have only cruised with AI so I don't know about purchasing it separately.

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Here's my advice, go into your cruise planner, purchase the wifi and be done with it.  Never need to give a second thought.  Unfortunately if you need it, there's no secret discount, like airline baggage fees, you just have to buy it

Pretty much this.

And I maintain that if work is requiring the OP to be online during their vacation, WORK should be footing the bill for WiFi.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

So..work should reimburse you or pay for it outright if they're going to require you to be connected on your vacation.

This, for sure, unless you work for yourself, then it’s your choice to work and not vacation.  But I agree with others, if you must cruise for work, where do I apply? 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Here's my advice, go into your cruise planner, purchase the wifi and be done with it.  Never need to give a second thought.  Unfortunately if you need it, there's no secret discount, like airline baggage fees, you just have to buy it

Best advice yet. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Pretty much this.

And I maintain that if work is requiring the OP to be online during their vacation, WORK should be footing the bill for WiFi.

For many remote jobs it's either you're online working or you'll need to take vacation days.  Even if you make minimum wage, the cost of X's $35/night wifi is "cheaper" than a taking a vacation day

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For many remote jobs it's either you're online working or you'll need to take vacation days.  Even if you make minimum wage, the cost of X's $35/night wifi is "cheaper" than a taking a vacation day

I can't imagine a minimum wage job that would require someone to NOT take vacation time or to work while away.

I guess I'm weird, but I'd RATHER take vacation than be told I had to work while I was gone.

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I can't imagine a minimum wage job that would require someone to NOT take vacation time or to work while away.

I guess I'm weird, but I'd RATHER take vacation than be told I had to work while I was gone.

Valid with a "minimum wage job", I doubt many who make minimum wage are sailing on X anyways; was pointing out that the $35/night wifi is cheaper than taking a vacation day.  For those making more than minimum wage during your work schedule to oversimply it, it's YOUR choice, you're either online working or you're taking vacation time.  Most remote workers have the option to work on sea business days and take vacation days on the port days.  There's the additional time savings dynamic for some which includes myself; if I took the whole week off, the next day I worked I would have spend at the entire day with getting caught up

2 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

I'll be sailing out of Rome, so I do hope that it is better than what you describe at least. 

You will need the more expensive 'Stream' package if you want the possibility of video calls, but sailing out of Rome you are probably on a port intensive cruise, so also check the coast of roaming with your cellphone package as it may be cheaper if you can limit the calls to times when you are in port...

6 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Hello just wanted some input from y'all. Now, i'm not a new cruiser by any means (although a first timer on X cruises). This is my first time sailing on a 10N+ cruise, but surely paying $329.89 USD for wifi for the duration of the entire cruise is ridiculous. 1/3 of 1k just on wifi for 1 device is exorbitently high. Is this pricing normal for all X cruises. Just wondering how people afford the wifi on longer cruises given most X sailings are generally longer than other cruise lines. I would at least think the longer duration the cruise, the lower the price per device per day would be.

It seems like you are getting the regular prices.   I'm not sure what you mean by a 10+ day  as the current prices in the US are on a per night basis -  you may be able so save some by booking on line and getting the current sale discount.     Second option is to check what the additional would be for Tips, Drink Package and Internet and calculate if that would save you money

I just looked at my Cruise Planner for 3 cruises coming up a 7 Night, a 15 night and 11 night

Prices are the same  -  Premium 34.99 / day pp but on sale for 29.99  Basic 19.99 and on sale for 16.99

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just got off the Equinox yesterday. I did not have an all inclusive package but needed stream wifi as I was working all week and needed to be available for zoom calls. I called to book my wifi before the cruise so I think there was a 14% discount over the normal price, plus I got a Select Captain's Club discount on top of that. Yes, it was expensive. 

First day the internet was going up and down all day. Very little coverage on the balcony. I went to guest relations to see if there was anything that needed to be done as I had an important zoom meeting the next afternoon. They sent me to the help desk that was set up in the photo gallery. The person there was extremely nice and once I explained that yes, I knew what the internet was and that I was correctly connected to it, she took me seriously. Made some notes in the computer and then two IT guys came up and she explained the issue to them. Told me they would reset the connection and come back if it wasn't better.

Next day, slightly better but I didn't feel like complaining again. Figured I would go to one of the lounges to do my meeting. Around noon there was a knock on the cabin door - two IT guys had come to install a personal access point in our cabin because they knew I had an important call. 

After that, it was really fast. As fast as my home connection. I didn't do a speed test, but I had absolutely no complaints on either my computer or my phone the rest of the trip.

I did seek out the senior IT officer at one of the events to thank him. He was thrilled when I told him I had already put in a comment saying how great I was treated. He said no one compliments the IT department 😀

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Some jobs, even while on vacation, expect people to be connected. It's the price you pay, but hopefully, the company pays well to make it worthwhile. I told my husband to complain to Mr Starlink if they complain at work that he can't connect on our cruise🤣

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

This, for sure, unless you work for yourself, then it’s your choice to work and not vacation.  But I agree with others, if you must cruise for work, where do I apply? 

I work for a travel media organization. So travelling is part of the job 😂. Sadly it's not my primary job!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lorimay said:

I just got off the Equinox yesterday. I did not have an all inclusive package but needed stream wifi as I was working all week and needed to be available for zoom calls. I called to book my wifi before the cruise so I think there was a 14% discount over the normal price, plus I got a Select Captain's Club discount on top of that. Yes, it was expensive. 

First day the internet was going up and down all day. Very little coverage on the balcony. I went to guest relations to see if there was anything that needed to be done as I had an important zoom meeting the next afternoon. They sent me to the help desk that was set up in the photo gallery. The person there was extremely nice and once I explained that yes, I knew what the internet was and that I was correctly connected to it, she took me seriously. Made some notes in the computer and then two IT guys came up and she explained the issue to them. Told me they would reset the connection and come back if it wasn't better.

Next day, slightly better but I didn't feel like complaining again. Figured I would go to one of the lounges to do my meeting. Around noon there was a knock on the cabin door - two IT guys had come to install a personal access point in our cabin because they knew I had an important call. 

After that, it was really fast. As fast as my home connection. I didn't do a speed test, but I had absolutely no complaints on either my computer or my phone the rest of the trip.

I did seek out the senior IT officer at one of the events to thank him. He was thrilled when I told him I had already put in a comment saying how great I was treated. He said no one compliments the IT department 😀

Wow that's great of them. I've always had varying degrees of issues with the internet whenever I sail and for sure none so far has offered this level of personalized service and excellence. If it was me i would have tipped those IT guys personally and generously.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

I work for a travel media organization. So travelling is part of the job 😂. Sadly it's not my primary job!

e95 now you tell me about it not being a primary job!!! LOL

I think I could suffer through it, at least for a bit... two (2) years or so, would you guess???

Happy that you have this opportunity regardless...

bon voyage

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

e95 now you tell me about it not being a primary job!!! LOL

I think I could suffer through it, at least for a bit... two (2) years or so, would you guess???

Happy that you have this opportunity regardless...

bon voyage

Yup, thanks! 😂

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, Ethanol95 said:

Hmm interesting, i would think that sailing from FLL would have good internet stability. Maybe the weather was a factor in your internet reception on board? I'll be sailing out of Rome, so I do hope that it is better than what you describe at least. 

We just got off of the Equinox from Fort Lauderdale 9 day sailing and husband had the premium for the same issue - work.  We had the basic package already as we had all included.  I paid to upgrade him.  Few questions and my apologies if already answered.  1.  What is your captains club status?  2.  Did you have the option for always included?  

If no, then like Nuts said earlier, you are going to have to bite the bullet and purchase.  Do it now and don't think about it.  We curse every time we buy it and hate the ridiculous prices but his job pays for these trips so 🤷

38 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We just got off of the Equinox from Fort Lauderdale 9 day sailing and husband had the premium for the same issue - work.  We had the basic package already as we had all included.  I paid to upgrade him.  Few questions and my apologies if already answered.  1.  What is your captains club status?  2.  Did you have the option for always included?  

If no, then like Nuts said earlier, you are going to have to bite the bullet and purchase.  Do it now and don't think about it.  We curse every time we buy it and hate the ridiculous prices but his job pays for these trips so 🤷

1. I'm Elite status

2. Nope, booked through an Interline TA, so didn't see the options displayed. 

Yea guess i'll just have to swallow it down.

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We had the premium WiFi recently on Equinox with Starlink.  Our cabin was mid-ship.  It was the best (fastest and most consistent) WiFi we have ever experienced on a ship.

what about in the atrium and in public areas of the ship?