Humphry Slocombe

shepherd really

5 hours ago, clo said:

But only government officials call it that.

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam

Why'd they change it 

I can't say

Maybe they liked it better that way

Witten by the Four Lads and covered by They might be Giants

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam

Why'd they change it 

I can't say

Maybe they liked it better that way

Witten by the Four Lads and covered by They might be Giants

TMBG and Humphry Slocumbe ice cream - delightful combination!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevesol6718 said:

Tries all flavors.  Terrible.  Not a premium ice cream.  Should have Haagen Daas instead

Most reviewers seem to agree they are a premium ice cream, and they use premium ingredients.

Why do you say they are not? (Personal taste is not an answer.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Most reviewers seem to agree they are a premium ice cream, and they use premium ingredients.

It is known as a hig oremium product in San Francisco bay its origin

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I wonder if their other food tastes are less 'wild and crazy.'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Waltershipman said:

How bout foie gras Wagu beef sushi to stimulate the taste buds along with ice cream for dessert lol

Sign me up!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A few posters in this thread have unfortunately confused "I personally don't like the flavor" with "not high quality". Sure, some of their flavors may be a bit out there (nowhere near Salt and Straw, though) and not for everyone, but as for someone attempting to make an objective argument that HS isn't a quality product - best o'luck to that!

Despite living in the Bay Area with good access to HS ice cream, I've never heard of Elvis the Fat Years. Is this a peanut butter/banana flavor?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

A few posters in this thread have unfortunately confused "I personally don't like the flavor" with "not high quality". Sure, some of their flavors may be a bit out there (nowhere near Salt and Straw, though) and not for everyone, but as for someone attempting to make an objective argument that HS isn't a quality product - best o'luck to that!

Despite living in the Bay Area with good access to HS ice cream, I've never heard of Elvis the Fat Years. Is this a peanut butter/banana flavor?

+ peanut brittle and bacon. it is amazing!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

It's a banana base with bits of "bacon peanut brittle" added. Who knew that bacon peanut brittle existed??? 🤷‍♀️ However, it's yummy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CruiseLibra said:

+ peanut brittle and bacon. it is amazing!

AND BACON?!?!?  Be still, my beating heart! Well, that saying could become literal with enough ice cream . . .

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:19 PM, cruisemom42 said:

How do you know they ARE premium? Compared to some local flavors here in New England or Tillamook from the west coast, we find Slocumbe good but not better than what I mentioned. The names, however are generally better than the product. Oh,by the way personal taste is indeed an option. Slocumbe is good, but I've had better.

People who are well traveled probably tried Italian gelato from the famous ice cream parlor in Florence. After I tried both that one and Humphry Slocumbe I can tell which one is premium. That being said, Oceania offerings aren’t bad with some flavors are better than others. So I’m looking forward to having some of them on our next cruise in April.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

My thoughts on Humphrey Slocombe are "Emperors New Clothes", the names are upmarket, the ingredients quirky and the base ice cream OK. Italian Gelato it is not! My personal preference would be good quality, normal flavoured CREAMY ice cream, now that is an indulgent treat!🍨😋

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, osandomir said:

People who are well traveled probably tried Italian gelato from the famous ice cream parlor in Florence. After I tried both that one and Humphry Slocumbe I can tell which one is premium. That being said, Oceania offerings aren’t bad with some flavors are better than others. So I’m looking forward to having some of them on our next cruise in April.

Gelato and ice cream are two different things...

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:30 AM, Waltershipman said:

It is known as a high premium product in San Francisco bay its origin

Hate to say it but have lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 50 years and had never heard of it before reading about it here.    I did find they have one shop in the Mission District and another At Fisherman's Wharf. 

We have a second home in San Francisco on Russian Hill about 1block from the Original Swensen's Ice Cream (opened in 1948).    Fantastic and often stop by for a cone when one a walk.

I did find they have one shop in the Mission District and another At Fisherman's Wharf (close to Russian Hill) and would not go out of my way to try them.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have a second home in San Francisco on Russian Hill about 1block from the Original Swensen's Ice Cream (opened in 1948).    Fantastic and often stop by for a cone when one a walk.

A childhood friend's dad ran the Swensens in Palo Alto when I was a kid...always a treat to go there!

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Gelato and ice cream are two different things...

For me good ice cream is more similar to gelato. Both use cream as the base. Sorbet that what’s different.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hate to say it but have lived in the SF Bay Area for almost 50 years and had never heard of it before reading about it here.    I did find they have one shop in the Mission District and another At Fisherman's Wharf. 

I did find they have one shop in the Mission District and another At Fisherman's Wharf (close to Russian Hill) and would not go out of my way to try them.

Well, as a fellow Sunnyvaler, I can personally assure you that you don't need to drive up to SF to try Humphry Slocombe, just need to hit the nearest Whole Foods (in "downtown" Sunnyvale) or even any Safeway. Neither has more than a handful of the flavors but you can find the classics such as the Blue Bottle* Vietnamese Coffee.

1 hour ago, JYDCruise said:

Well, as a fellow Sunnyvaler, I can personally assure you that you don't need to drive up to SF to try Humphry Slocombe, just need to hit the nearest Whole Foods (in "downtown" Sunnyvale) or even any Safeway. Neither has more than a handful of the flavors but you can find the classics such as the Blue Bottle* Vietnamese Coffee.

LOL--- I even asked Iain who lived in SF for 20 years and he had never heard of them also.    Also saw they have one in Campbell at Pruneridge. 

I guess I'll just wait and try in in September on our first Oceania Cruise.  Like many other things we travel the world but we never enjoy the things in our backyard.  

2 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

A childhood friend's dad ran the Swensens in Palo Alto when I was a kid...always a treat to go there!

There was always something special of the Swensen's on Hyde Street.   It still feels like an Ice Cream Parlor from the early 50's.   

• Like 1

I have been on two Oceania cruises that offered HS ice cream in the Terrace Cafe, Waves Grill area and often in the Main Dining and/or specialty restaurants.  The ice cream is a premium product based on ingredients and butterfat content. Several of the flavors are outstanding while most others are good.  Some flavor combinations are unusual but worth trying and may not been everyone's choice.  I hope that Oceania continues to offer HS ice cream and adds additional flavors and perhaps even offer more than one flavor per day.

Joel Barry

• Like 3