Humphry Slocombe

shepherd really

I don't know if I would call it a fail. I also tried a few and it was not for me but truth be told, I rarely go beyond chocolate and vanilla.  My wife loved the Meyer lemon flavor so much she had two servings.

I felt like the quality was good but the flavors did not do much for me. Of course others seem to love it so as long as I could get my daily chocolate shake with a whole banana blended in by the pool I was pretty happy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I tried several flavors, none impressed me.  Does anyone else think this was a big food fail for the "Finest cuisine at Sea".

It really didn't strike me as the finest ice cream in the local supermarket freezer.

I never tried it.  None of the flavors appealed to me.

• Like 2

It is a definitely creamy type ice cream, try the Regatta Royale I think it was called. Different names, no such thing as plain chocolate or vanilla or strawberry. We found it in our local grocery store for a mere $8 a pint 😁
I think it is a San Francisco gourmet ice cream that O has acquired the rights to for ship board consumption.  Definitely rich so a little scoop daily can enhance your waste line. A daily malt on a 20 day trip cost me 10 pounds and I do not mean British currency 🤪.

Enjoy, Mauibabes 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I tried several flavors, none impressed me.  Does anyone else think this was a big food fail for the "Finest cuisine at Sea".

It really didn't strike me as the finest ice cream in the local supermarket freezer.

I disagree, 

like anything else, there are flavors I do not enjoy, but there are some I look forward to!  
some of my favorites are the corn flavored one, Elvis the fat years, Harvey Milk and cookies, Regatta Royale, and the lavender flavored one.  Personally I think it was a nice addition to regular flavors they offer.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, shepherd really said:

If it was a fail, it would be gone..

Jancruz1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bradpole said:

some of my favorites are the corn flavored one, Elvis the fat years, Harvey Milk and cookies, Regatta Royale, and the lavender flavored one.  Personally I think it was a nice addition to regular flavors they offer.  

Other cheeky tasty flavors include "Secret Breakfast" (bourbon with cornflake cookie bits) and "After School Special" (chocolate-covered potato chip bits with caramel swirl). It was fun to try something different

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

It looks like Humphry Slocombe focuses on odd ball flavours to try to set themselves apart, and not thinking of quality.

We found the HS ice cream quality equivalent to other O ice cream offerings. Whether these are surpassed by other brands or cruise line offerings could be a separate (contentious) discussion 😉

• Like 3

I love their ice cream. The Vietnamese Coffee and Elvis the Fat Years are sublime. I must admit, I can't really say I have had lunch until I have my scoop of Humphry Slocombe. And, HS is only one of the many ice cream and sorbet options that are offered. So, if you find the flavors too odd-ball you have many other options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

Other cheeky tasty flavors include "Secret Breakfast" (bourbon with cornflake cookie bits) and "After School Special" (chocolate-covered potato chip bits with caramel swirl). It was fun to try something different

😱

I'm a statistician.  Looks like someone set a random process loose on the ingredients!

GC

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

😱

I'm a statistician.  Looks like someone set a random process loose on the ingredients!

GC

Ingredients representing the four basic food groups: Salt, sugar, fat and alcohol 😉

• Haha 4

Some seem to lack a sense of adventure where ice cream is concerned...

Last fall while in Sicily I did a day trip to Tindari where I visited Roman ruins but also the sanctuary of the famous black Madonna of Tindari. In honor of the statue, a store nearby serves a very unusual black ice cream made with volcanic ash from Mt. Etna. Looked scary, tasted great. A bit like smoked honey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some seem to lack a sense of adventure where ice cream is concerned...

Last fall while in Sicily I did a day trip to Tindari where I visited Roman ruins but also the sanctuary of the famous black Madonna of Tindari. In honor of the statue, a store nearby serves a very unusual black ice cream made with volcanic ash from Mt. Etna. Looked scary, tasted great. A bit like smoked honey.

Difficult to comment without more information about ingredients, but this at least sounds interesting, and there is some thought involved (or so it seems from your description).  Assuming there wasn't anything else objectionable (or that would trigger an allergy), I'm intrigued and would try this!

The previous combinations above reflect what a friend and I, back in the early 1990s, finally started calling a few "special restaurant menu selections" that simply seemed to include bizarre combinations of things, simply to be "different".  Many of them were "different", that was for sure!

(I won't give the name we used; I just looked it up, and there is another meaning!  I had no idea until just now.  I doubt it was used that way several decades ago.  I hope...)

However, I am self-admittedly old fashioned at times.

(And proud of it! 😉

GC

We loved HS ice cream.  Best ice cream that we ever got on a cruise. We tried every flavor offered on our 14 night trip.  Some good, some great (Vietnamese coffee), and a few that we didn’t like.  Hope that HS I’ve cream is available on my next I cruise. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

When AI designs ice cream flavors...

And heeeere we go, courtesy of MSN just now:

AI Beer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/ai-crafts-new-beer-for-night-shift-brewing/ar-AA186V5p?ocid=weather-verthp-feeds

Alas, I'm a red wine drinker.  (Or Diet Coke. 😉

So I'd be clueless about whether it's "good" beer or not.

🍷 🍷

GC

• Like 1

On our 11-night cruise, we found many of the HS flavours on offer to be *meh* (didn't bother to try them) but I did really like the lemon meringue or something like that. 

It wasn't the Meyer Lemon flavour (that was offered one other day), the one I liked had bits of pastry/crust in it. 

41 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And heeeere we go, courtesy of MSN just now:

AI Beer:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/ai-crafts-new-beer-for-night-shift-brewing/ar-AA186V5p?ocid=weather-verthp-feeds

Alas, I'm a red wine drinker.  (Or Diet Coke. 😉

So I'd be clueless about whether it's "good" beer or not.

🍷 🍷

GC

I was really hoping the future would be more the Jetsons and less 2001 A Space Odyssey. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1