Must See in Copenhagen

Tivoli Gardens, one of Walt Disney's inspirations, was a lot of fun for my kids.  They were 12-18 at the time. It is quite pretty, the rides were fun, and we had a very good dinner in the park.

There is a main pedestrian street, the Stroget, which travels the central downtown corridor.  Lots of shops and restaurants, and ends down in Nyhaven where the iconic "colored houses and ships at the pier" picture of Copenhagen is taken.

We did the free walking tour the first morning, which was a good intro to that part of the city and made it easy to navigate the rest of the time.

We did skip the Little Mermaid.  It's kind of far away from everything else, and seemed to be a lot like Plymouth Rock.  Cool for those that are into it, but otherwise underwhelming.

I would take the Hop on Hop off bus, with the boat option...go around at least once, and then decide where you want to spend more time visiting. We did that in July, and its something we do in many large cities with limited time to explore.

Tivoli is a fun thing to explore. Depending on what hotel you are staying at, admission may be included in your hotel rate.

If you have seen “everything” Copenhagen that interests you, consider a day trip by train/bus going to Roskilde (train) for the Viking Ship Museum and Cathedral; bus to Humlebaek for the amazing art museum,  Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, train back to Copenhagen. Have done this many times with tour groups on the “free” day and it is always a hit….and a chance to get outside of Copenhagen.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:57 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Tivoli is a fun thing to explore. Depending on what hotel you are staying at, admission may be included in your hotel rate.

I would second Tivoli and most of what Bruce said here-- use a few hours on the tour to get a lay of the land (I found the boat portion to be more interesting then the land portion) and then head over to Tivoli in the early afternoon.

I was pretty skeptical of going to what I considered an amusement park in my mind the first time I was in Copenhagen but you get to Tivoli and realize that it really is woven into the fabric of the city and a spot for tourists and locals alike (not to mention that its very pretty, especially towards twilight time when the lights come on).