The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 4th, 2023

@StLouisCruisers  Thank you for posting the HAL Fleet locations,/daily.

@RedneckBob  yesterday you re-posted a post from  Sail 7 Seas a HAL stalwart with thousands of helpful and interesting  informative posts, often think of her and wonder what has happened to her.  Has anyone any news of her?

She never minded replying to questions even though they had been asked numerous times.  She and krazykruizers RIP  who also had many thousands of posts, also posted good helpful cruising information.

Will read all of today's posts later, had to post now while thinking about sail 7 seas  and her love of the Maasdam.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@StLouisCruisers  Thank you for posting the HAL Fleet locations,/daily.

@RedneckBob  yesterday you re-posted a post from  Sail 7 Seas a HAL stalwart with thousands of helpful and interesting  informative posts, often think of her and wonder what has happened to her.  Has anyone any news of her?

She never minded replying to questions even though they had been asked numerous times.  She and krazykruizers RIP  who also had many thousands of posts, also posted good helpful cruising information.

Will read all of today's posts later, had to post now while thinking about sail 7 seas  and her love of the Maasdam.

I didn’t realize till after I re-posted it was from sail7seas. She was one of the best posters on CC. The last posts I saw from her was two years ago.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The snow was really coming down heavy last night.  I'm glad DS and DDIL flew home Thursday night from Cancun instead of Friday night or they would have been caught up in that mess with all the diverted flights.  I hope your DSIL made it home today okay.  That's a lot of people to reschedule.

Thanks for your butterfly photos.  I've been to a place called Butterfly House in the St. Louis suburbs before and it was fun watching people experience it.  Some people acted frightened when a butterfly landed on them which surprised me.  They don't hurt you, bite you or sting you so why be afraid?  🦋

I forgot to tell you when I found out about the snow in A squared (our pet name for Ann Arbor), I asked DS if they had any plans this weekend and he recited their early morning gym visit, soccer events in town, etc.  I quote him here "we don't fear snow!"  Guess not.  Not only was he born in that state, he went to undergraduate school there and moved back to teach for the last 22 plus years. Some people just aren't built for cold, snowy climates.  ❄️

Thank you. they made it home after dinner in Mexican town. They treated themselves after all the crazy stuff son in law went they.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I didn’t realize till after I re-posted it was from sail7seas. She was one of the best posters on CC. The last posts I saw from her was two years ago.

It’s has happened many times here on CC over the years. One spouse is active other doesn’t participate. In sail7seas case she often stated there was no one left after her husband passed. Whether she is incapacitated or passed I have no idea.

If we want our demise known here on CC we should request a responsible person be assigned to let CC membership know.

Over many years there have been many wonderful on line relationships enjoyed  here on CC that have established friendships, and cruises that have developed into lasting friendships.

Whether here on CC or instructions to E-mail or text our individual demise or condition; someone needs to be given instructions to let requested folks know.

If it’s me it doesn’t matter but one has to remember others would like to know.

We have become family over the years or that is how I look at many of my CC member family.

Assign someone to pass the word. Amen!

• Like 23

Carnival is trying to rein in Spring Break behavior.

Carnival Cruise Line has a message for spring breakers planning to set sail: If you think you can get away with the type of bad behavior that goes viral on social media, think again.

“We’ve all seen the news coverage and social media posts of people behaving badly,” Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy said in a video address posted to YouTube on Feb. 15. “It’s happening in stores, restaurants, at sporting events and schools, on airplanes, in theme parks and, yes, on cruise ships, too.”

Duffy said in the video that all of the line’s ships have added more security workers, and the company has introduced narcotics-sniffing dogs at home ports to screen luggage. Drug dogs might also be in place at destination ports, she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/03/03/carnival-warns-customers-weed-fights/

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Have now caught up with the daily news.

Heavy rain during the night, which was needed, should help the levels of the reservoirs.  This afternoon blue skies, with several clouds, temperature 14 C.

Had a good sleep for 9 hours.

Thanks for photos of today's port.  Another New Zealand wine ....North Island

@summer slope hope the prednisone will help your cat .

@TAW1963  Bon Voyage.

@bennybear and @0106  totally agree with your comments about multiquoting and use of the blue bubbles.   As I usually come  here later in the day, I truly appreciate  posters who are considerate and use the Multiquote and Blue Bubble functions of Cruise Critic.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Have now caught up with the daily news.

Heavy rain during the night, which was needed, should help the levels of the reservoirs.  This afternoon blue skies, with several clouds, temperature 14 C.

Had a good sleep for 9 hours.

Thanks for photos of today's port.  Another New Zealand wine ....North Island

@summer slope hope the prednisone will help your cat .

@TAW1963  Bon Voyage.

@bennybear and @0106  totally agree with your comments about multiquoting and use of the blue bubbles.   As I usually come  here later in the day, I truly appreciate  posters who are considerate and use the Multiquote and Blue Bubble functions of Cruise Critic.

Thanks @erewhon!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope you have a great cruise on Ruby Princess.  I've had wonderful cruises on 17 of their ships including a 49 day South America on the Ruby.  Try out the International Cafe on deck 5 in the Atrium.  Nice selection of complimentary food all day long.

@StLouisCruisers After 49 days on the Ruby you probably know that ship inside and out.   I know things are different with all the cruise lines after the shutdown, but I have strongly considered both Princess and HAL.  I think we would enjoy both but I gravitated to HAL to start our cruising experience last fall.  We did enjoy that first cruise.   The size of the Princess ships was a slight concern but they do look beautiful from the videos and pictures.  We’ll definitely try out the International Cafe.  Probably many times!

• Like 6

I watched F3, F2 and the qualifying for F1, and then there is tomorrow.......

fl-sp-formula-one-20180502

I am not the type of chef that follows a recipe.  I imagine what it is I want an item to taste like...and then go through seasonings, sauces and condiments....until my brain agrees on what will work-so today while I was crock potting my baby backs, i realized that perhaps a touch of fruit in the crock pot, would give the ribs a bit of a zing.  I added sour cherry preserves....and an hour later I added some sweet cherry preserves.  Ribs were a success.

DH also tells me that I don't make potato salad like his momma,  That's probably because I loved my momma's tater salad.  So tonight, since I had the time, I asked him what goes into his momma's tater salad that I don't use.   Egg, ok i added a half of a boiled egg, ,,mustard, not a problem,  sweet pickle, well I didn't have any, but used some sweet relish.  I made my own "yankee" potato salad, dill pickle, some sweet onion, celery.  I asked him how his potato salad was, he said more like home, but something was still missing.    Aha! his mom does not use mayonnaise, she using Miracle whip, which I wont even allow in the house.  So, I guess if he wants it like he likes, he will have to visit his mom more often.  Or take me out to eat more often.  🙄😁

Today I had someone really put me over the edge.  On Saturdays the first two sales people who get a sale get a 100 dollar bonus.  I had a call back from a customer, he wanted his wife to make the final decision  He asked me if the transaction would be the same if he did it on line, or if I did it for him, I said no, but I would get a bonus if he did the sale with me, so he agreed, thanks, while his wife was listening in, and decided that she wanted the seats while i was verifying the information, and she did the sale on line.  I had someone do this to me last week, because she was scared that by the time I could call her back she would lose the seats.  And yes I lost that commission too.  And then this week the 94 year old who sounded very sane, but elderly,  well her daughter cancelled my order  because she thinks her mother is too old for such silliness.  So I lost a bonus, two commissions, and my sale that I got commission on has been recharged to my pay check.

I went out to get some air tonight, and saw the Jupiter /Venus alignment, how beautiful!  

BFF told me on Tuesday that we only had 68 days to departure, not sure if he meant embarking, or arriving in Vancouver.  Either way, I'm excited, I need a vacation from this job.  Arizona Opera has still not signed the contract, and I really need that job come April.  

I heard from Fern today, she is in "rehab" for several weeks, the Dr's think she needs the rest and to build back up some body strength after being in a coma for more than a week.  And as far as I know no one knows why she was in a coma.

I really miss my little office manager Neko.  None of the other cats want the job, even if snacks are included.

The water people were still digging in the neighbors yard this morning, I dont know if they have water next door, at least they didn't turn off the rest of the street today.

050e664427653849bb150aa338768954--cartoons-comic.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 15

@TAW1963 I'm sure you are asleep by now but wanted to make a few comments. Our second cruise out of Galveston was fantastic  what we enjoyed was a beach club in cozumel, brought my niece along  it was a  cruise excursion, glad I booked as it was $50 more, but due to a local celebration we were late getting back.  Roatan was a great snorkel trip, and damn those monkeys that would steal your rum punch.  Belize was a snorkel and shore day after shark Ray alley, best tour ever.  We missed a stop Cancun due to post hurricane damage.  Have fun and let everyone know how it went.  Watch the sun and don't be a deck lobster like we were.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.  I spent the afternoon working to make the yard presentable.  I pulled the worst weeds, then trimmed and mowed the weeds.  After that, I pulled a lot of the "dead" crabgrass from last year.  Some of it was already putting out new shoots.  This year, we have a pre-emergent to spread that claims to work even if the weeds have already started growing again.  I put it down, and we'll see what happens.  All that's left for now is to trim the bushes I didn't have time to trim last fall.

It was a perfect afternoon to be outside.  It felt good to be able to get out of the house.

I have enjoyed seeing all the pictures of San Juan.  Thank you to all who shared their pictures.

Before I forget, DH looked at Jupiter and Venus tonight.  While they look good to the naked eye, they are too far apart for the telescope to get both of them in the same picture.

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're getting some of that "frozen mix" this morning, 36 degrees F.

Great collection of days today!  I'll give my GI a hug (DH was in the Army when we got married) then went on to retire from the Navy.

I'll pass on the drink but would like the wine and meal.  Unfortunately for now anyway, chili is on my no-no list (too much sodium) but I do love it and it sounds so good right now.  We've been to San Juan twice, the last time was just 4-5 months ago.  

Yesterday we picked up the kittens from DD's house and will have them for the weekend while DD and family are skiing.  Now they both are on antibiotics, but thankfully it's been easy to administer because they both love their can food and lick their bowls clean.  

It seems that several of us have kids who love their skiing.  DD and DSIL are thrilled that both boys love it as much as they do, and are getting quite good at it.  Here's a photo from their last ski trip.

skiing.thumb.jpg.1ab75d42e954967572433048e540a408.jpg

I appreciate the photos today of Jupiter and Venus because with our cloudy skies we can't see them.

Safe travels and bon voyage Todd @TAW1963!

Dixie @summer slopeprayers that the prednisone can help your kitty.

Lorraine @cruising sisterwhat a wonderful tribute the snare drum line did at your DS' Celebration of Life.

The first time we went to San Juan was in January of 2017 on the Koningsdam.  It must not have been as hot as it was this past October on the Nieuw Statendam, because that day we walked about 5 miles to two forts, San Cristobal and Del Morro.  We couldn't have done that this last trip, much too hot and humid that day.

SanJuan2.thumb.jpg.f0b7f50d629c8501b6206ae31c7604d4.jpg

SanJuan1.thumb.jpg.39a6b746b13890b4e9d906dd5077f106.jpg

SanCristobal.thumb.jpg.4e5023917e35ba135d9a672922dd243e.jpg

SanJuanandSanCristobal.jpg.7bd422755c3d968d75ff16027fd49d26.jpg

It was much cooler at the El Yunque Rain Forest, so glad we took that tour last October.
rainforest1.thumb.jpg.b9dd47d7e36fe3ec33580b5a532f42e2.jpg

flowersrainforest.thumb.jpg.e417a3f626276d569106fd13a46c805c.jpg

ElYunqueRainForestwaterfall1.thumb.jpg.16ea46f461181fda38975caf509b2079.jpg

Enjoy the weekend with the kitties.  Sorry, they both are on antibiotics.  Graet picture of the family.

7 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks QC. How did you learn that about posting. Is there a book titled “Cruise Critic Posting for Dummies” 😀

RNB, I wish there was such a book.  I learned when others on here were kind enough to keep posting the instructions for the blue bubble until we got the hang of it.  Sometimes, CC gets ornery and won't let us get blue bubble.  In that case, we punt.

7 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Went out and got the salmon oil which both dogs love. Hopefully it will help Monty. His coat is a bit dry but there is no skin flaking. Anyway it can't hurt. I had a sheltie years ago that was allergic to his plastic water dish as @StLouisCruiserssuggested. Once I switched to ceramic, he cleared right up. I use either metal or ceramic now. Monty has to have one that keeps him from bolting his food.....he must have been very hungry at some point in his life. If I don't see some improvement I will cut out all regular dog food and will start boiling him some chicken. When I got him from the shelter I was told he would eat only chicken which was not true. The people who had him had brought in the chicken they were feeding him which was a grocery store bought canned with very high sodium. That could not have been good for him.

FYI.... all but one of the skier/snowboarder/snowmobiler accidents here have occurred in either out of bounds or undeveloped areas. The ski areas themselves keep a pretty close eye on conditions and skiers. In the one case, no one is sure exactly what happened. The incident should not have been fatal. Anyway, a very good reason to use common sense and stick to regulated areas or pay attention to slopes and conditions. And wear a beacon and don't go alone. The snowmobiler who survived was lucky that his friends dug him out really fast.

Susan, when you said Monty needed a special bowl, I wondered if his chest is rubbing on the bowl and causing the hair loss.  It was just a thought since I don't know what his food dish is like.   It always amazes me how many skiers will ski in out of bounds areas and then get in trouble.

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Lenda. Not sure I want to drink any water from our rivers these days! Especially those poor folks in Ohio. What a sad situation and I keep them in my prayers.

Bruce, I'm not sure about that either, especially after reading about the study where all the rivers tested had forever chemicals in them.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Thank you so much for sharing this!

I laughed out loud at that one.   

@StLouisCruisers Yes, the snow went south.  We were quite thankful.

Our visit to Dow Gardens and the butterfly exhibit was delightful.  I'm glad we got the annual membership last week when we did the canopy walk.  We've already gotten our money's worth out of it.  We decided that we are going to take advantage of as many activities and programs offered as we can.  We don't want to just be sitting home in our recliners, not that we have recliners.  We also got in a visit with Ellamary.  She is proudly Irish so we took her a shamrock plant.  She was thrilled and excited when we explained that we were adopting her.  

IMG_2144.thumb.jpg.ba5a998ed0ce81427991d50a341fc241.jpg

IMG_2146.thumb.jpg.6b5f815f9dd05435bf3b0fba86af8c97.jpg

IMG_2147.thumb.jpg.a219c4dd5caa64001cd8a1b00ad1c126.jpg

IMG_2148.thumb.jpg.3c7e92da3d0208e5963bee975e483bc1.jpg

IMG_2149.thumb.jpg.a1ce6158d75d9907e0b9455d53f7b8a6.jpg

IMG_2150.thumb.jpg.2231836d030f0ddcd1ee85a88b1a1886.jpg

IMG_2151.thumb.jpg.1fbe37fb1876fb9fce6e44adcbdc58f6.jpg

Debbie, thanks for the butterfly pictures.  Almost 30 years ago, older DD and I went to the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Houston Museum of Natural History.  It was an amazing experience.

7 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Sorry to hear so many pets are not well, glad some have had some good news as well! 

I was going to respond to @RedneckBobbut didn’t want my number to come up!  But in all seriousness I too really appreciate those multiquotes or use of the blue bubbles, especially as I come later to the party.    
just add @ and start typing their CC name and it should load, sometimes I have to do it a couple of times.  It does take extra effort but then I am not monopolizing the thread. 

I’ll add my Jupiter and Venus photo, too.  Only a couple of more sunsets in paradise. 

114CD625-B1EC-4E5C-9399-006ECC087AF2.jpeg

AE61BFC6-6671-49DB-A2A8-25E6BF374B5B.jpeg

46DEA390-01EE-40F7-8774-0F5148901981.jpeg

Beautiful pictures, Brenda .

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites!  A much better day today, DH is feeling much better, after only 3 days on antibiotics.  We went out this morning and he bought a new suitcase!  (It is returnable for 30 days - we just have to see how the surgery goes.)   Interesting days today.  We don't eat chilli, but would enjoy the wine.  I have a steak out, and Pat has brought up a red for this evening.  We have been to SanJuan a couple of times.  I remember in my early 20's I wanted to go to a friend's (Protestant) wedding - I had to get a special dispensation from our priest, and he stressed that I was not to "participate".  So much for Holy Experiment!  How things have changed...

DD sent me some Canadian humour

7E6635DF6E8A410A9F805902DF035CFD.png.0c6dc2a8e3c989c04725fdc8cd00187f.png

image022.jpg.6e846a50c8e7788a91117f8b30cf972a.jpg

image025.jpg.e70b1493fc0f284c9d4aeaa61e189951.jpg

image027.jpg.8a9a9c7271c561cbcd10ecb1b3e15be3.jpg

image039.jpg.0f5a08c51e7f781b567bc4413a12a11e.jpg

Ann, that is great news that Pat is feeling better.  Sometimes, all it takes is the correct antibiotic.  Even this Texan enjoyed the Canadian humor.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We have snow too! image.thumb.jpeg.44eacef747df7e40c4d7e6bb69426f93.jpeg

We've seen snow on the mountain from the port.   People on the mainland often don't believe it snows in Hawaii.

9 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I watched F3, F2 and the qualifying for F1, and then there is tomorrow.......

fl-sp-formula-one-20180502

I am not the type of chef that follows a recipe.  I imagine what it is I want an item to taste like...and then go through seasonings, sauces and condiments....until my brain agrees on what will work-so today while I was crock potting my baby backs, i realized that perhaps a touch of fruit in the crock pot, would give the ribs a bit of a zing.  I added sour cherry preserves....and an hour later I added some sweet cherry preserves.  Ribs were a success.

DH also tells me that I don't make potato salad like his momma,  That's probably because I loved my momma's tater salad.  So tonight, since I had the time, I asked him what goes into his momma's tater salad that I don't use.   Egg, ok i added a half of a boiled egg, ,,mustard, not a problem,  sweet pickle, well I didn't have any, but used some sweet relish.  I made my own "yankee" potato salad, dill pickle, some sweet onion, celery.  I asked him how his potato salad was, he said more like home, but something was still missing.    Aha! his mom does not use mayonnaise, she using Miracle whip, which I wont even allow in the house.  So, I guess if he wants it like he likes, he will have to visit his mom more often.  Or take me out to eat more often.  🙄😁

Today I had someone really put me over the edge.  On Saturdays the first two sales people who get a sale get a 100 dollar bonus.  I had a call back from a customer, he wanted his wife to make the final decision  He asked me if the transaction would be the same if he did it on line, or if I did it for him, I said no, but I would get a bonus if he did the sale with me, so he agreed, thanks, while his wife was listening in, and decided that she wanted the seats while i was verifying the information, and she did the sale on line.  I had someone do this to me last week, because she was scared that by the time I could call her back she would lose the seats.  And yes I lost that commission too.  And then this week the 94 year old who sounded very sane, but elderly,  well her daughter cancelled my order  because she thinks her mother is too old for such silliness.  So I lost a bonus, two commissions, and my sale that I got commission on has been recharged to my pay check.

I went out to get some air tonight, and saw the Jupiter /Venus alignment, how beautiful!  

BFF told me on Tuesday that we only had 68 days to departure, not sure if he meant embarking, or arriving in Vancouver.  Either way, I'm excited, I need a vacation from this job.  Arizona Opera has still not signed the contract, and I really need that job come April.  

I heard from Fern today, she is in "rehab" for several weeks, the Dr's think she needs the rest and to build back up some body strength after being in a coma for more than a week.  And as far as I know no one knows why she was in a coma.

I really miss my little office manager Neko.  None of the other cats want the job, even if snacks are included.

The water people were still digging in the neighbors yard this morning, I dont know if they have water next door, at least they didn't turn off the rest of the street today.

050e664427653849bb150aa338768954--cartoons-comic.jpg

Annie, sorry about losing the sale and bonus, then having the daughter cancel her mother's sale.  I won't allow Miracle Whip in the house either.  Loved the meme.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

@dfishI think you joining the gardens was one of the best things you could have done,  I bet they also offer classes in art? Like Art in the Garden?  And seasonal parties, where you can meet even more people?  Its very exciting!  We joined the Atlanta HIstory Museum, it was a great idea at the time, but we have 4 more months on our member ship, and we only went once.  It's on the north side of Atlanta.  I want to rejoin the science museum, as there are woods to walk in, and they decorate the woods at Halloween and Christmas.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 33°F at 8.17am here in North East England.

Today is a sad day as it is my late Dad's 12th memory.

It is my late dad's 11th memory.

I was getting ready for church and to late to correct my original post.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, lobsternight said:

@TAW1963 I'm sure you are asleep by now but wanted to make a few comments. Our second cruise out of Galveston was fantastic  what we enjoyed was a beach club in cozumel, brought my niece along  it was a  cruise excursion, glad I booked as it was $50 more, but due to a local celebration we were late getting back.  Roatan was a great snorkel trip, and damn those monkeys that would steal your rum punch.  Belize was a snorkel and shore day after shark Ray alley, best tour ever.  We missed a stop Cancun due to post hurricane damage.  Have fun and let everyone know how it went.  Watch the sun and don't be a deck lobster like we were.

Thanks @lobsternight!  Sounds like you had a great time.   We’ll definitely report on our journey.   We are boarding and departing 2 hours late today because of an increased number of reported norovirus cases onboard the cruise before us.  They will go through a more extensive disinfecting of the entire ship before our cruise passengers can embark.  We are happy to wait the extra 2 hours for that process!  Having the “stomach flu” would not be a good thing to report back with, that’s for sure.    

• Like 4

9 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@dfishI think you joining the gardens was one of the best things you could have done,  I bet they also offer classes in art? Like Art in the Garden?  And seasonal parties, where you can meet even more people?  Its very exciting!  We joined the Atlanta HIstory Museum, it was a great idea at the time, but we have 4 more months on our member ship, and we only went once.  It's on the north side of Atlanta.  I want to rejoin the science museum, as there are woods to walk in, and they decorate the woods at Halloween and Christmas.

It was a no brainer to join the Gardens.  Next door to the Gardens is the Center for the Arts.  We plan to join that as well.  And then there is the Nature Center.  Yep, we're joining.  Sue is excited about the possibility of taking some art classes at the Center for the Arts.  She wants to get back into art in a big way.  I want to get working on my next quilt.  I've only had the fabric for a year.

• Like 6