The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 4th, 2023

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I wasn't sure about the Holy Experiment Day until I saw an explanation - it sounds like a good thing to try.  While I don't know any GI's, if there are any here among our Daily family, please know I'm sending cyber hugs to you today.  I enjoy listening to marching bands; to me they are a wonderful way to start a parade.

We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday - as we went outside, I said to DH:  "It's so nice going out and not having the air hurt your face."  Right now we're at -19C, but it should warm up to about -7C, so it will be nice with bright sunshine.  I know Sochi will enjoy sleeping in the sun; I sometimes think it would be nice to join her on the carpet . . .

@marshhawkI'm glad you were spared the wrath of the storm and stayed safe.  We were watching the news on an American channel that showed some buildings losing their roofs, trees falling, etc.  Very scary!

@summer slopesending gentle, healing hugs for your dear kitty.

We've been to San Juan several times - thanks @StLouisCruisersfor the photos; I love sailing in and seeing the fort, etc.  The last time we were there I made an interesting discovery (shopping, of course) - many people coming off the cruise ships head straight to Walgreens because it's basically at the end of the pier.  Well, if you walk another block down the street, there's a CVS store with the same things, but at lower prices.  We compared many things and were surprised at the difference.  

Not a lot happening here today, so I'll be able to continue working on my blankets.  The group is calling for the first batch to be in by March 30th, so I'll keep the needles clicking along until then.  There are a bunch of leftovers in the fridge, so instead of having today's menu suggestion, we're going to be having a smorgasbord of items that will help make room for new leftovers.  It'll be a fridge surprise at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, especially those who have dealt with storms.  Extra prayers for the people of Bakhmut.  We'll cheer on everyone with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 30

Good morning from a sunny central Texas.  It is 50F now, but highs are expected to be 77F or higher.  Of course, there will also be wind this afternoon.  This is the beginning of spring in Texas after all.  We could still get a frost or two, and it's been known to snow in Texas in March, but the long range forecast doesn't show that happening.  After the crazy weather this fall and winter, I'm not counting on the long forecast completely.

I like all three days, and I think we should be tolerant of other religions.  I'll hug DH later since he was a GI for two years.  DH, his brothers and both DDs were in marching bands in middle school and high school.  My favorite marching band is the UT Longhorn Band, aka the Show Band of the Southwest.

The Louis Aragon quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal since we had chili last night for dinner.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.

I've lost count of how many times we've been to San Juan, but they were all pre-digital.  Our first cruise and several others began or ended in San Juan.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks you for the explanation of Holy Experiment Day.

@TAW1963  Safe flight today and enjoy your night in Galveston.  The Ruby Princess is a nice ship, but bigger than any HAL ship.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thank you for the additional pictures of Boca da Valeria.   I hope you like the river cruise as much as we did.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad you survived the storm unscathed yesterday.  Too bad about your neighbor's water leak and losing water for the afternoon.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad the storm in your area was not too bad.

@summer slope  Dixie, sending positive thoughts that the prednisone works and the tumor shrinks.. Hugs to you and your kitty.

@mamaofami  Carol, that is good news the cortisone shot worked.  Congratulations to your  daughter for a good argument before the NY Supreme Court.  Enjoy your visit with your grandson.

@ger_77  Gerry, enjoy your sunny days.  We have a friend who calls the meal you're planning a CORN dinner -- Clean Out Refrigerator Night.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

Our younger DD and her SO are vegetarians, and this is the chili recipe she makes.  While I haven't made it, she says it very good.  The recipe came from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home .  I thought @smitty34877Terry and others who cook for vegetarians might like to see this recipe.

RED, GOLD, BLACK, AND GREEN CHILI

½ c bulgur

½ c hot water

3 c undrained canned tomatoes (28-oz can)

3 T olive oil

3 c chopped onions

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 t ground cumin

1 t chili powder

¼ t cayenne

2 green bell peppers, chopped

2 c fresh or frozen cut corn

1½ c drained cooked black beans (14 oz can)

1½ c drained kidney beans (14 oz can)

salt to taste

grated cheddar or Jack cheese

Place the bulgur, hot water, and about a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan, cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.

While the bulgur cooks, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Sauté the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne.  When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes more.  Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan.  Stir in the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat.  Taste the bulgur.  When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with its liquid.  Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld.  Add salt to taste.  Serve with grated cheese. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good morning,

I am back from Vegas and way behind on the Daily. I am sending hugs and well wishes to all that need it and will catch up later. 

I had a great time. I was born in the middle of 4 brothers.  The DB and DSIL I met in Vegas was such a god send when my DS died in August. I was in the middle of moving when he died and they came and finished packing me up and helped moved me.  It was good to see them under happier circumstances.  We cried we laughed and all felt better when we parted ways. 

My DS played drums and marched

and then taught  drum lines for DCI (Drum Corp International). You age out at 23 but he taught drum line for 5 more years. At his Celebration of life his snare drum line who had not played together for 21 years played and left an empty snare for him. It was a beautiful tribute. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

42 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny central Texas.  It is 50F now, but highs are expected to be 77F or higher.  Of course, there will also be wind this afternoon.  This is the beginning of spring in Texas after all.  We could still get a frost or two, and it's been known to snow in Texas in March, but the long range forecast doesn't show that happening.  After the crazy weather this fall and winter, I'm not counting on the long forecast completely.

I like all three days, and I think we should be tolerant of other religions.  I'll hug DH later since he was a GI for two years.  DH, his brothers and both DDs were in marching bands in middle school and high school.  My favorite marching band is the UT Longhorn Band, aka the Show Band of the Southwest.

The Louis Aragon quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal since we had chili last night for dinner.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine.

I've lost count of how many times we've been to San Juan, but they were all pre-digital.  Our first cruise and several others began or ended in San Juan.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks you for the explanation of Holy Experiment Day.

@TAW1963  Safe flight today and enjoy your night in Galveston.  The Ruby Princess is a nice ship, but bigger than any HAL ship.

@ottahand7  Nancy, thank you for the additional pictures of Boca da Valeria.   I hope you like the river cruise as much as we did.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad you survived the storm unscathed yesterday.  Too bad about your neighbor's water leak and losing water for the afternoon.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad the storm in your area was not too bad.

@summer slope  Dixie, sending positive thoughts that the prednisone works and the tumor shrinks.. Hugs to you and your kitty.

@mamaofami  Carol, that is good news the cortisone shot worked.  Congratulations to your  daughter for a good argument before the NY Supreme Court.  Enjoy your visit with your grandson.

@ger_77  Gerry, enjoy your sunny days.  We have a friend who calls the meal you're planning a CORN dinner -- Clean Out Refrigerator Night.

Lenda

Need some help from fellow CC members on this daily thread. How do you respond to specific statements from different CC posts as with Lenda above on the same post ?

Someone told me how to do this before but I am kinder slow when it comes to technology. Of course if y’all do not wish me reply multiple times with stupid comments, I will understand if I get no responses. In that case this message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Good morning. It’s a beautiful day with a forecasted high of 78 degrees and the howling winds have ceased. Another sleep in morning so definitely no sleeping problems here. Such a beautiful day we may drive down and enjoy a walk on the beach. The Gulf was really rough yesterday with the high winds.

Will try and catch the Eurodam sail away today to see how she looks with her new paint job.

I have been to San Juan three times on Hal cruises and my most memorable was my first Segway ride.

Have a great weekend and thanks to all that contribute to the Daily’s success.

Bruce

image.jpeg.fc259d26be78d51bd8cf930d60085bae.jpegimage.jpeg.08e0312d43fb1c3bd5aca65475a67aa3.jpegimage.jpeg.a68a2e1f551a490dcefab2eaf944d8d2.jpegimage.jpeg.0e6b998b873c103e4fd6169170712d05.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 21

45 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Our younger DD and her SO are vegetarians, and this is the chili recipe she makes.  While I haven't made it, she says it very good.  The recipe came from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home .  I thought @smitty34877Terry and others who cook for vegetarians might like to see this recipe.

RED, GOLD, BLACK, AND GREEN CHILI

½ c bulgur

½ c hot water

3 c undrained canned tomatoes (28-oz can)

3 T olive oil

3 c chopped onions

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 t ground cumin

1 t chili powder

¼ t cayenne

2 green bell peppers, chopped

2 c fresh or frozen cut corn

1½ c drained cooked black beans (14 oz can)

1½ c drained kidney beans (14 oz can)

salt to taste

grated cheddar or Jack cheese

Place the bulgur, hot water, and about a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan, cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.

While the bulgur cooks, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Sauté the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne.  When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes more.  Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan.  Stir in the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat.  Taste the bulgur.  When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with its liquid.  Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld.  Add salt to taste.  Serve with grated cheese. 

Thanks!I have several Moosewood cook books but not that one.

• Like 12

Good morning. 

Interesting days. I'll salute Holy Experiment Day. I'd hug a GI if one was around. I like watching marching bands at college football games and in parades. Interesting quote.

I like the meal, pass on the drink and wine.

My first ever cruise, on Golden Princess, departed from San Juan. We flew in the day before, but didn't see much, do I'd like to go back. Thanks for all the photos!

It was very windy here last evening. My area was ok except for some tree limbs down, but around me there were trees down, gas station roofs down, and power outages. Not sure what I'll do today. Maybe laundry. Of course tidying up as usual.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today. Lovely photos.

@Crazy For Cats Nice pictures, Jake.

@rafinmd I hope you are feeling a bit stronger these days. Thank you for your photos and sharing you blog post from San Juan.

@ottahand7 Enjoy the river boat and canoe trips.

@marshhawk I'm glad you were safe during the storm, even with the water being off. 

@summer slope I hope the prednisone works for your kitty.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photos.

@cat shepard You did well with your phone shot of the planets. 

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I'll have to look for one of my low carb chili recipes.

@mamaofami Wonderful to hear you're feeling better. Congrats to your DD Lori! And enjoy time with DGS. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the vegetarian chili recipe.

@cruising sister Welcome home. I'm glad you had a good time with DB and DSIL. That sounds like such a moving tribute to DS from his snare drum line.

@TAW1963 Safe travels today. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. I am early this morning as I did not wake up at 3 .... solid night but a bit short as I was up and moving at 5:30. At least a longer solid sleep. Dogs and I walked early. Weather today should be sunny and warming.... probably into the mid-40's. A real heat wave after what we have been having. We have had an additional skier death and also a very sad death of a young ice climber up near Ouray. These deep snows are tempting lots of winter sports enthusiasts.

@summer slopeGlad to hear that kitty seems to be treatable.

I spent time and money yesterday at the vet with the dogs. Nothing serious. Bandit needed some vaccines and Monty has developed a patch of hair loss on his chest. Food allergy? Collar? who knows, but if this continues, I will have a bald chihuahua. Right now I am switching his collar  and harness types (using a rolled leather), taking them off more frequently so nothing is contacting his little hide for long, and I will probably try another food. He is not a picky eater. Also, salmon oil added to food. He is not scratching which is odd given the amount of hair loss. He does not wear his coat enough for that to be the problem.... or so I think. Vet thought some kind of contact allergy... but what? Bedding? The other dog? Me?

@ottahand7I really enjoyed the Amazon cruise when I did it. Would love to repeat.

My continued best wishes and strong positive thoughts to all. Off to make a run to the bank when it opens shortly and then out to local pet shop to look at various types of food, oil, and collars. And spend more $$,

Susan

• Like 26

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  After all the heavy rain last evening it is now a clear morning, 51F and it will be sunny and 70 later on.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report information for today.  We have a couple of unique days to celebrate, such as Holy Experiment Day which I have found out is an annual holiday to encourage general tolerance towards religious practices different from ours.  Sounds good to me.  Secondly it's Hug a GI Day so if you know any GI's and they don't mind, give them a hug!  In third place is Marching Band Music Day.  Some marching bands are quite good (Ohio State and Michigan are our favorites) but then there are always a few who sound like they need a little more practice.  Keep at it band members!  

We have another interesting quote and a big winner for the menu suggestion, beef chili.  No thanks to the drink and I believe this is the third chardonnay this week.  Our port of the day is San Juan, Puerto Rico which we have had twice before.  August 1, 2021 and November 24, 2022 (Thanksgiving Day).  The links are below to retrieve your photos.  We have been there 4 times and I can post some photos of a general nature for those who are interested.  I'm sure many of us have been there and enjoyed it. 

Before we go any further I want to say thank you to the others who contribute here each day.  They include Debbie @dfishwho handles food/recipes, Ann @cat shepardwho describes our wine selection, Dixie @summer slopewho has our drink "recipes", and Vanessa @JazzyVwho is taking care of the Care and Celebration lists for Roy @rafinmdwhile he takes a break to recover from pneumonia.  Then everyone else who posts to add their own flavor to the Daily.  I also want to add my prayers to all on the Care list and those in need around the world.  In addition, we can't forget the Celebration list because what is life without something to be happy and cheer about?  Enjoy the cruises and happy events in your life!

On to the port photos!  We were in San Juan in 2006 on Crown Princess and brought our DD along, in 2018 on Veendam on a 21 day Caribbean cruise, in 2018 again on Prinsendam and in 2019 on Rotterdam.

Some images from our Feb. 3, 2018 Veendam visit.  The Fortress as you sail in to dock.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHiu9GtVXsac_fu0wv8cfp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJt3fLAqM4Ka0sBmnVDmDN0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKHc2ckefV-dXzXWNYlx09?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgTD4pu0b5NWPj0r8Cq9O5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmH2c4T2ESBtSXEaN4d7N-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDhMeVcVxvKEMpIQFIhQBQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is a really pretty street I thought.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGU3hCUDp_NgRBvvmHmY4A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTtucRVIkkJdWLTuMjZH9Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK3vnNtoTCNRerk8Wciou-8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL00sNMeuJl_Z55KtOpz90o?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMYWlhGk8QSfx8GgjYidKJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Looking at some 2019 Rotterdam visit to San Juan photos and saw a couple of unique ones.  This was Valentine's Day!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ33YU2qiuzsiaQo7htZ6q7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_f0IjbHjP-QkRM4guckzl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

What a romantic dessert!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6lC1qnxPWarLTRkn8niAu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Have a great Saturday and stay safe!

Good photos Sandi.

Graham 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  It was so pleasant reading posts today — many moving words and stories.

And a nice collection of days — no GI to hug, though.  We used to love watching the marching band at Disneyland.  We visited there often.  The drink and wine sound good. All the chili recipes sound delicious. My mom always used cans of “small red beans,” which I never see around anymore.

We sailed on the Golden Princess out of San Juan in 2004.  Maybe same route as @JazzyV.

@grapau27, thanks for sharing the story of the Durham miners. That’s great they still have the gala,

@TAW1963, enjoy your cruise.  We sail out of Galveston in October.  Would love to hear about your trip.

@smitty34877, the beach getaway to San Juan sounds wonderful.

@ottahand7, great photos.  I think all the dogs would make me nervous.  😬

@marshhawk, thank goodness you dodged tornadoes.  We were all thinking of you.

@summer slope, prayers for sweet kitty.

@GTVCRUISER, more great photos.  
@cat shepard, we’ve also had a remarkable view of the planets from here in San Diego after our rain. So beautiful,

@dfish, that’s great you have the nice gardens nearby.  Enjoy the butterfly exhibit.

@rafinmd, great story and love the quote.

@mamaofami, congratulations to your daughter.  Enjoy your visit with DGS.

@ger_77, when I read your posts I have to laugh at what we think is cold here in San Diego.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, thanks for adding the veggie chili recipe.

@cruising sister, wonderful photo and story about your DS.

@durangoscots, I hope you figure out Bandit’s trouble.  
@highscar, wow on the snow. Stay safe.

We are dog sitting DD’s pommie while they are in Park City, Utah.  We have another generation on skis.  Happy four-year-old.

FBADA704-24BD-4608-BCB5-29948B24DE66.jpeg.f8e7e19deacc04567b436a9355b782a8.jpeg

Wishing all a lovely Saturday.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

@RedneckBob  I copied this info from the “HELP” forum.  I appreciate people who multi-quote or use the blue bubble…makes the entire thread more efficient.

Quoting a Post in your Reply

• To Multi-Quote (quote more than one post) click the plus button at the bottom of each post (it is to the left of the quote button).  This will add the desired posts to your reply box.You can type your  message below and click SUBMIT REPLY.
  • To only quote a portion of a post, use your mouse to highlight the text you want to quote, the a quote bubble will appear.  Click that QUOTE and it will add the desired text to your reply box. You can type your  message below and click SUBMIT REPLY. (this will not work on mobile)
    • To only quote a portion on a mobile device / tablet my suggestion is to use the directions for quoting the post - then tap into the quote portion of the reply box to delete the contents of the original post that you do not want to include in your quote.  Still type your message at the bottom portion of the reply box and tap SUBMIT REPLY.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 12

4 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@RedneckBob  I copied this info from the “HELP” forum.  I appreciate people who multi-quote or use the blue bubble…makes the entire thread more efficient.

• To Multi-Quote (quote more than one post) click the plus button at the bottom of each post (it is to the left of the quote button).  This will add the desired posts to your reply box.You can type your  message below and click SUBMIT REPLY.
  • To only quote a portion of a post, use your mouse to highlight the text you want to quote, the a quote bubble will appear.  Click that QUOTE and it will add the desired text to your reply box. You can type your  message below and click SUBMIT REPLY. (this will not work on mobile)
    • To only quote a portion on a mobile device / tablet my suggestion is to use the directions for quoting the post - then tap into the quote portion of the reply box to delete the contents of the original post that you do not want to include in your quote.  Still type your message at the bottom portion of the reply box and tap SUBMIT REPLY.

Thanks

• Like 10

I want to say a bit more about Holy Experiment Day, because it sounds like a strange name for a holiday. It commemorates the founding of Pennsylvania as a colony with religious tolerance, in contrast to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, a theocracy.

Recognized as Holy Experiment Day, March 4th is intended to encourage communities to be more open-minded and unpredictable – especially when it comes to religion. “Sacred Experiment” is a term originally coined by William Penn Jr. to describe his idea of an ideal government that he would later establish in what is now Pennsylvania.... Penn Jr. envisioned a colony full of people who accepted the faith and were tolerant of all religions of others.

https://localtoday.news/pa/rts-holy-day-of-experiment-news-212826.html

I was in San Juan in January 2020 with the Nieuw Amsterdam, and posted pictures the last time it was the port of the day. In addition to the earthquake, that cruise had a change of itinerary (St. Croix instead of Sint Maarten), couldn't tender at HMC, and had a medical diversion back to Grand Turk.

Chili and the Chardonnay would both be OK with me, but not together. I'll pass on the cocktail. I was in the marching band in high school but was better at the band part than at the marching part.

HoleFoods.jpg.7a96c2a7729063d4659599da606f7fc2.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning. Happy Saturday.

The tilers continue to work at our house, surprised that they are here on a Saturday, but not complaining.  The sooner they finish, the happier we will be.

The TV table was finally done at 6 pm last evening.  All I will say about this is that I will never buy another thing from Wayfair.  This caused more aggravation than I need in my life at this time. It was only at my unending persistence that i finally got someone here to do it—6 hours later than the original appointment.

Thank you to Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie and Dixie for all your contributions to keep this thread going.  I, for one, appreciate the dedication you all have to this thread.

Yesterday, in all my angst, I actually thought about all of the participants on this thread who are, or who have been, caregivers.  I prayed for all of you.  As I said, it is a labor of love.  Having been in this position myself, I know that there are times when it is challenging and tiring and you just want to hang it all up and let someone else do it.  But anyone who is or was a caregiver never regrets having been in that role.

I will be skipping the meal because it is too spicy.  Also take a pass on the wine and drink.

As I have said before, I have spent lots of time in San Juan and in the whole island of Puerto Rico.

Back in my younger days I studied in Ponce learning Spanish.  It paid off in my work.  I also spent time as the liaison for my office with the office in San Juan, having to make many business trips.  Have a number of friends there and always enjoy a stop there on a cruise ship.  Most of my photos are pre-digital, so I cannot post them.

Many happy days there.  

Prayers for all on the cares list.  Cheers for all celebrating and cruising.  

Hope everyone has a good day.  

Take care and stay safe.

God Bless

Terri

• Like 25

40 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning.  It was so pleasant reading posts today — many moving words and stories.

And a nice collection of days — no GI to hug, though.  We used to love watching the marching band at Disneyland.  We visited there often.  The drink and wine sound good. All the chili recipes sound delicious. My mom always used cans of “small red beans,” which I never see around anymore.

We sailed on the Golden Princess out of San Juan in 2004.  Maybe same route as @JazzyV.

@grapau27, thanks for sharing the story of the Durham miners. That’s great they still have the gala,

@TAW1963, enjoy your cruise.  We sail out of Galveston in October.  Would love to hear about your trip.

@smitty34877, the beach getaway to San Juan sounds wonderful.

@ottahand7, great photos.  I think all the dogs would make me nervous.  😬

@marshhawk, thank goodness you dodged tornadoes.  We were all thinking of you.

@summer slope, prayers for sweet kitty.

@GTVCRUISER, more great photos.  
@cat shepard, we’ve also had a remarkable view of the planets from here in San Diego after our rain. So beautiful,

@dfish, that’s great you have the nice gardens nearby.  Enjoy the butterfly exhibit.

@rafinmd, great story and love the quote.

@mamaofami, congratulations to your daughter.  Enjoy your visit with DGS.

@ger_77, when I read your posts I have to laugh at what we think is cold here in San Diego.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, thanks for adding the veggie chili recipe.

@cruising sister, wonderful photo and story about your DS.

@durangoscots, I hope you figure out Bandit’s trouble.  
@highscar, wow on the snow. Stay safe.

We are dog sitting DD’s pommie while they are in Park City, Utah.  We have another generation on skis.  Happy four-year-old.

FBADA704-24BD-4608-BCB5-29948B24DE66.jpeg.f8e7e19deacc04567b436a9355b782a8.jpeg

Wishing all a lovely Saturday.

Thanks @AncientWanderer!  I’ll report back to you soon.  Enjoy the dog sitting!

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, 0106 said:

By the way 0106, that is an interesting CC Name.  Can you tell me what it means or your number will be up. 😳

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. It’s a beautiful day with a forecasted high of 78 degrees and the howling winds have ceased. Another sleep in morning so definitely no sleeping problems here. Such a beautiful day we may drive down and enjoy a walk on the beach. The Gulf was really rough yesterday with the high winds.

Will try and catch the Eurodam sail away today to see how she looks with her new paint job.

I have been to San Juan three times on Hal cruises and my most memorable was my first Segway ride.

Have a great weekend and thanks to all that contribute to the Daily’s success.

Bruce

image.jpeg.fc259d26be78d51bd8cf930d60085bae.jpegimage.jpeg.08e0312d43fb1c3bd5aca65475a67aa3.jpegimage.jpeg.a68a2e1f551a490dcefab2eaf944d8d2.jpegimage.jpeg.0e6b998b873c103e4fd6169170712d05.jpeg

For the closing sermon words, what do I bring when we gather at the river, a cup or a tanker truck ! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Checking in before I take advantage of a nice sunny day and do some yard work.  It's still in the 60s but warming up, and in the sun, the breeze should not make it too cool.

DH had the little telescope out last night, but did not get pictures of the planets.  He needs to use the big telescope for that, and we may put it out tonight, but no promises.

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I am back from Vegas and way behind on the Daily. I am sending hugs and well wishes to all that need it and will catch up later. 

I had a great time. I was born in the middle of 4 brothers.  The DB and DSIL I met in Vegas was such a god send when my DS died in August. I was in the middle of moving when he died and they came and finished packing me up and helped moved me.  It was good to see them under happier circumstances.  We cried we laughed and all felt better when we parted ways. 

My DS played drums and marched

6792C358-B278-497E-A76C-2B87E0DF2410.MOV 176.17 MB · 3 downloads  

and then taught  drum lines for DCI (Drum Corp International). You age out at 23 but he taught drum line for 5 more years. At his Celebration of life his snare drum line who had not played together for 21 years played and left an empty snare for him. It was a beautiful tribute. 

Welcome home, Lorraine.  I'm glad you, your DB, and DSIL had a good time in Las Vegas.  What a beautiful tribute to your DS from the snare drum line at his Celebration of Life.

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Need some help from fellow CC members on this daily thread. How do you respond to specific statements from different CC posts as with Lenda above on the same post ?

Someone told me how to do this before but I am kinder slow when it comes to technology. Of course if y’all do not wish me reply multiple times with stupid comments, I will understand if I get no responses. In that case this message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

RNB, I'm glad @0106 explained about multi quoting.  As you can see, I try to leave a space before and after my comments to set them apart.  As far as getting the blue bubble that I used in my earlier post today, that's not too hard when the blue bubble is cooperating.  You just use the @ sign and start typing the CC name you want to comment on.  A drop box will appear below your typing with a list of CC names.  Just click on the correct name, and the blue bubble will appear.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Thanks!I have several Moosewood cook books but not that one.

Terry, your welcome.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. 

Interesting days. I'll salute Holy Experiment Day. I'd hug a GI if one was around. I like watching marching bands at college football games and in parades. Interesting quote.

I like the meal, pass on the drink and wine.

My first ever cruise, on Golden Princess, departed from San Juan. We flew in the day before, but didn't see much, do I'd like to go back. Thanks for all the photos!

It was very windy here last evening. My area was ok except for some tree limbs down, but around me there were trees down, gas station roofs down, and power outages. Not sure what I'll do today. Maybe laundry. Of course tidying up as usual.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for starting us up today. Lovely photos.

@Crazy For Cats Nice pictures, Jake.

@rafinmd I hope you are feeling a bit stronger these days. Thank you for your photos and sharing you blog post from San Juan.

@ottahand7 Enjoy the river boat and canoe trips.

@marshhawk I'm glad you were safe during the storm, even with the water being off. 

@summer slope I hope the prednisone works for your kitty.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photos.

@cat shepard You did well with your phone shot of the planets. 

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I'll have to look for one of my low carb chili recipes.

@mamaofami Wonderful to hear you're feeling better. Congrats to your DD Lori! And enjoy time with DGS. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the vegetarian chili recipe.

@cruising sister Welcome home. I'm glad you had a good time with DB and DSIL. That sounds like such a moving tribute to DS from his snare drum line.

@TAW1963 Safe travels today. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Vanessa, glad there was no major damage from the storm last night.

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. I am early this morning as I did not wake up at 3 .... solid night but a bit short as I was up and moving at 5:30. At least a longer solid sleep. Dogs and I walked early. Weather today should be sunny and warming.... probably into the mid-40's. A real heat wave after what we have been having. We have had an additional skier death and also a very sad death of a young ice climber up near Ouray. These deep snows are tempting lots of winter sports enthusiasts.

@summer slopeGlad to hear that kitty seems to be treatable.

I spent time and money yesterday at the vet with the dogs. Nothing serious. Bandit needed some vaccines and Monty has developed a patch of hair loss on his chest. Food allergy? Collar? who knows, but if this continues, I will have a bald chihuahua. Right now I am switching his collar  and harness types (using a rolled leather), taking them off more frequently so nothing is contacting his little hide for long, and I will probably try another food. He is not a picky eater. Also, salmon oil added to food. He is not scratching which is odd given the amount of hair loss. He does not wear his coat enough for that to be the problem.... or so I think. Vet thought some kind of contact allergy... but what? Bedding? The other dog? Me?

@ottahand7I really enjoyed the Amazon cruise when I did it. Would love to repeat.

My continued best wishes and strong positive thoughts to all. Off to make a run to the bank when it opens shortly and then out to local pet shop to look at various types of food, oil, and collars. And spend more $$,

Susan

Susan, I'm sorry about the sad news about the skier and the ice climber.  I hope you solve the problem of Monty's hair loss. 

52 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning. Happy Saturday.

The tilers continue to work at our house, surprised that they are here on a Saturday, but not complaining.  The sooner they finish, the happier we will be.

The TV table was finally done at 6 pm last evening.  All I will say about this is that I will never buy another thing from Wayfair.  This caused more aggravation than I need in my life at this time. It was only at my unending persistence that i finally got someone here to do it—6 hours later than the original appointment.

Thank you to Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie and Dixie for all your contributions to keep this thread going.  I, for one, appreciate the dedication you all have to this thread.

Yesterday, in all my angst, I actually thought about all of the participants on this thread who are, or who have been, caregivers.  I prayed for all of you.  As I said, it is a labor of love.  Having been in this position myself, I know that there are times when it is challenging and tiring and you just want to hang it all up and let someone else do it.  But anyone who is or was a caregiver never regrets having been in that role.

I will be skipping the meal because it is too spicy.  Also take a pass on the wine and drink.

As I have said before, I have spent lots of time in San Juan and in the whole island of Puerto Rico.

Back in my younger days I studied in Ponce learning Spanish.  It paid off in my work.  I also spent time as the liaison for my office with the office in San Juan, having to make many business trips.  Have a number of friends there and always enjoy a stop there on a cruise ship.  Most of my photos are pre-digital, so I cannot post them.

Many happy days there.  

Prayers for all on the cares list.  Cheers for all celebrating and cruising.  

Hope everyone has a good day.  

Take care and stay safe.

God Bless

Terri

Terri, I'm glad the tilers are working hard to get your bathroom finished. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with Wayfair anymore after the hassle yesterday.  Good that you finally got someone to assemble the table.

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I thought red necks have their own stills?

Bruce, why should RNB work when all that booze is there for the taking?  🤣

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

The sun is trying to peak out here. I always find that lifts the spirit and makes it easier to do things around the house, rather than just sitting.

@durangoscots Sorry to hear about more deaths of people doing outdoor sports in dangerous conditions. I hope you can figure out what's going on with Monty's patch of hair loss. 

@AncientWanderer When was your cruise on the Golden Princess? Mine was in also in 2004, early October for a big birthday. I'd think learning to ski that early is the way to go.

@kochleffel Thanks for the additional information about Holy Experiment Day.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad the tilers are there today working. And that the tv table is together, despite the aggravation of getting it done. 

@smitty34877 Nice to see your family having fun.

• Like 14