First Time Cruise-Princess Alaska

BlaznBayGrl

My friend and I are taking our first cruise ever to Alaska on Princess Royal in June but are so confused and need some help! Googling everything seems to be making us worse.. can someone help?!? 
1.  What decks are best if we are are Aft? 
2.  Was boarding and coming home times pretty much on time? We are buying out flights and unsure how much comfort room to give ourselves

3. what were things u brought with u that were definitely not needed 

4. I read that most didn’t need fancy clothes for this ship, is that common for you? 
5. other post said bring magnets but no reason on why and how many we need. 

thank you all in advance! 

I'll take a shot, at least to get the ball rolling: 

This I'm not sure about

2.  Was boarding and coming home times pretty much on time? We are buying out flights and unsure how much comfort room to give ourselves

The only cruise we have been on that had a significant delay on disembark day was Princess in Seattle.  We still made our mid-day flight. That was quite a few years ago, so really not indicative of what you might experience.   Hopefully others will pitch in on timing for Seattle.   

I always seem to bring too much clothing.  We don't bring storage gadgets, highlighters, duct tape or stuff like that.  

4. I read that most didn’t need fancy clothes for this ship, is that common for you? 

I think this is true and seems to be supported by many comments on these forums.   I would say smart casual is good for MDR. 

People bring magnet hooks and stick them to the walls so they can hang stuff.  Or they might use them to put notes on the wall or door.   You don't "need" any.  We never bring anything like that.  It is really up to you.  Yes, the closet can be smallish for longer cruises, but we always manage to cram all of our stuff in there.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlaznBayGrl said:

1. Personally, I don't recommend the marina deck (15) for aft balconies because those on the aft of lido deck (16) can look down on you. 16 is a public deck in the aft. You will find varying degrees of how extreme soot can be on the aft deck cabin balconies, but your mileage may vary.

2. Give yourself the easiest combination possible for flight times. Don't pressure yourself to make a mid-morning or noon flight from Seattle if you can help it just because... anything can happen, you know?

3. Bring layered clothing that you know you can wear time and time again. There are laundromats on each deck on the Royal Princess ($3/wash and $3/dry). Ditch most fancy things to keep it easy (e.g. just bring one pair of heels if you want instead of 3, don't bring too much jewelry, no necessity to bring suits for the men, etc.)

4. Read above in #3. To be honest, formal night dress codes are merely a suggestion in today's era of cruising on Princess. For example, a nice shirt and pants for the men - really good enough.

5. Above poster nailed it on the head as to why people bring magnets. They increase the factor of convenience in your cabin once you realize how much you wish you could just hang something where you'll see it (...or use it to hang dry clothing!). The magnetic hooks are worth their weight in gold, for me at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We take magnetic hooks. We use them to hold paperwork on the walls, to hang our hats from, etc. If you do get magnetic hooks get really strong hooks - not some cheapo junk you might put on the refrigerator door. Strong magnetic hooks are readily available at amazon.

Make sure you have enough ports to charge your devices. The outlets on the ship are extremely limited. Do not take a power strip that has surge protection. It will be confiscated. Ship current is not the same as you have at home. Power strips or extension cords without surge protection are fine.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how many devices people bring but I just have my phone and a tablet

don't have any probs using ship outlets to charge them

We don't bring magnets or hooks

Do think layers for clothing

You don't need dressy /fancy clothing

Think what you'd wear to a decent restaurant at home

We book midship cabins with other cabins above and below us

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlaznBayGrl said:

5. Just to clarify, the walls of the cabin are sheet steel. Magnets attach your daily schedule and other papers you might want in easy view. A magnetic hook for a hat is a good idea.

Bring binoculars or monocular with attachment to your phone for pix, if not a good camera.

21 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

5. Above poster nailed it on the head as to why people bring magnets. They increase the factor of convenience in your cabin once you realize how much you wish you could just hang something where you'll see it (...or use it to hang dry clothing!). The magnetic hooks are worth their weight in gold, for me at least.

Why must something be hung up where it can be seen?  Don't get me wrong, I understand a lot of folks like the magnet hooks.  Just curious.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Why must something be hung up where it can be seen?  Don't get me wrong, I understand a lot of folks like the magnet hooks.  Just curious.   

We like to be able to hang our hats on the hooks. Some hang their binoculars from a hook. (There are many magnetic hooks that are plenty strong enough for this.) Some like to hang their Medallion (on the lanyard) from hooks. We like to have the P/E/S nosh schedule readily available. We also have the Captain's Circle Invitation were it's easy to see. Having a pile of papers and stuff on the desk is messy and a hassle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I take clip magnets to hold the daily patters but more important, invitations and reminders .. just so they don’t get lost.  I’ve seen my friend hang her lanyard with the medallion right by the front door so she doesn’t forget to grab it on the way out the door.  

• Like 1

For #1, personal preference for me is deck 14. Some like to be close to the water, others like to be high for the view. For me, I like 14 because there isn't a public deck immediately above or below, and it's just two floors down from Lido so it's a quick to jump up for a bite to eat or to grab something at the wakeview bar. I also like being close to the concierge lounge (we usually try and sail in the aft corner suite).

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We like to be able to hang our hats on the hooks. Some hang their binoculars from a hook. (There are many magnetic hooks that are plenty strong enough for this.) Some like to hang their Medallion (on the lanyard) from hooks. We like to have the P/E/S nosh schedule readily available. We also have the Captain's Circle Invitation were it's easy to see. Having a pile of papers and stuff on the desk is messy and a hassle.

50 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I take clip magnets to hold the daily patters but more important, invitations and reminders .. just so they don’t get lost.  I’ve seen my friend hang her lanyard with the medallion right by the front door so she doesn’t forget to grab it on the way out the door.  

Makes sense, thanks.  It seems like we are constantly filling the trash can with unwanted stuff left in the cabin every day.    I use the iPhone for notes, etc.  I am among those that like the medallion app.   I use the shelves for hats, etc.  If the cabin includes a hook by the door, I'll put the hats there.   

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Makes sense, thanks.  It seems like we are constantly filling the trash can with unwanted stuff left in the cabin every day.    I use the iPhone for notes, etc.  I am among those that like the medallion app.   I use the shelves for hats, etc.  If the cabin includes a hook by the door, I'll put the hats there.   

You can now order the paperwork (or the lack of it) that you want delivered to your cabin.  You can do this on your app.  I also like the app but my DH loves reading the Patter.  So, on our profile on the app, we indicate we want the Patter and any important notifications but no advertisements for the jewelry or spa, art auctions, etc.  It’s perfect for us as we couldn’t stand all that paper that just went directly into the trash.  I suppose we could even live without the patter but my DH has trouble on the app .. mine works pretty well for me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You can now order the paperwork (or the lack of it) that you want delivered to your cabin.  You can do this on your app.  I also like the app but my DH loves reading the Patter.  So, on our profile on the app, we indicate we want the Patter and any important notifications but no advertisements for the jewelry or spa, art auctions, etc.  It’s perfect for us as we couldn’t stand all that paper that just went directly into the trash.  I suppose we could even live without the patter but my DH has trouble on the app .. mine works pretty well for me.  

I like those paper delivery options.  We are looking forward to being on Princess again in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MileHighAko said:

For #1, personal preference for me is deck 14. Some like to be close to the water, others like to be high for the view. For me, I like 14 because there isn't a public deck immediately above or below, and it's just two floors down from Lido so it's a quick to jump up for a bite to eat or to grab something at the wakeview bar. I also like being close to the concierge lounge (we usually try and sail in the aft corner suite).

Thank you! Looking at decks seem so confusing 

Bring binoculars!
Also bring some medicine for headaches, sinus stuffiness and Pepto, Tums etc for tummy troubles. 
You’ll probably be eating/drinking differently than normal and the ships gift shop won’t have anything for an upset tummy. 

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, tonit964 said:

Bring binoculars!
Also bring some medicine for headaches, sinus stuffiness and Pepto, Tums etc for tummy troubles. 
You’ll probably be eating/drinking differently than normal and the ships gift shop won’t have anything for an upset tummy. 

Have a wonderful time!

Definitely bring your own meds. Since the restart even the (insanely expensive) more normal items haven't been available in the shops on the ship. Also pack some bandaids (sticking plasters) for any bumps or blisters from hiking, etc.

• Like 3

On 3/9/2023 at 1:55 PM, ldubs said:

DH hangs his medallion that is on a lanyard on a magnet hook next to the door (I wear mine in a bracelet).  In January and March 2022 when our cruises required/recommended masking we hung our covid-9 masks next to the cabin door so we didn't forget them as we walked out of the cabin.  We are taking the hooks on our April Australia cruise just in case they are needed for the same reason.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

what pound or weight of magnet do you order to hold the jackets/ purses? so many options on amazon?

I believe I got the 100 lb ones for my jackets … but that may have been overkill.  One time, my safe door wouldn’t pop open when unlocked.  I use those little hooks as a handle to open that door.  Well, I had a devil of a time getting off the safe door when it came time to repack.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

Definitely bring your own meds. Since the restart even the (insanely expensive) more normal items haven't been available in the shops on the ship. Also pack some bandaids (sticking plasters) for any bumps or blisters from hiking, etc.

Those hydro seal bister pads from Bandaid are great for that!  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I believe I got the 100 lb ones for my jackets … but that may have been overkill.  One time, my safe door wouldn’t pop open when unlocked.  I use those little hooks as a handle to open that door.  Well, I had a devil of a time getting off the safe door when it came time to repack.  

thats amazing!  I ordered the 130lbs

• Like 1