New Policy, only one entree at a time?

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll bet that waiter didn't get a 10 on the PCS. 😉

As the waiter asked his supervisor, "How can I get a -2 rating on a +1 to 10 scale?"

Supervisor's response, "That is what we are going to find out. Please take a seat and answer some questions for us."

😬

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'll bet that waiter didn't get a 10 on the PCS. 😉

I think it's a shame to take it out on the waiter who is just following the rules. But maybe not and they were excellent the whole 10 weeks. Couldnt have been better imo. .. just didnt serve 2 plates at the same time. 

I dont get why people are taking it out on the waiter. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I am a little confused.  With the new policy, can I order a side from a different meal.

For example, can you substitute rice (assuming it is on the menu for the night) for potatoes?

Reports are that you can't even order something to be left off, for example, "Can you leave off the gluten-filled sauce?" has been met with a No.  

32 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I am a little confused.  With the new policy, can I order a side from a different meal.

For example, can you substitute rice (assuming it is on the menu for the night) for potatoes?

My understanding is that yes , so long as the requested item is also on the menue that same evening

10 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Reports are that you can't even order something to be left off, for example, "Can you leave off the gluten-filled sauce?" has been met with a No.  

I believe that is completely false . Especially when it has to do with specific dietary restrictions .

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

I believe that is completely false . Especially when it has to do with specific dietary restrictions .

I concur.  I have never had any trouble getting something deleted from my order.  I don't eat cheese so I often tell them to leave off the cheese (whatever it happens to be) and they have never once denied me this request.

26 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

On my Adventure cruise in Feb., no substitutions were allowed, not even when I asked for more broccoli with my entree since I've noticed they use broccoli sparingly as a garnish.  Both shrimp cocktails I ordered came out one at a time with quite a wait for the 2nd one.  What is the benefit of serving one plate at a time?

Oasis waiter in March was fabulous.  Served both my lobster tail and my husband's (he ordered 2 entrees, lobster for me the other entree for him) on one plate.  When I told her how much I loved shrimp in conversation, she overloaded my plate with tiger shrimp.  She even asked if we had a show to catch, to speed up service.  No shows to catch and yet we finished dinner every night in 1 1/4 hours.  A big improvement over the almost 2 hours pre new menu.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

5 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I concur.  I have never had any trouble getting something deleted from my order.  I don't eat cheese so I often tell them to leave off the cheese (whatever it happens to be) and they have never once denied me this request.

But, wasn't that in the BEFORE times?   There was someone here that reported that exact thing which happened recently.  

Before: Customer-service focused
Now:  Petty and churlish.   

On the Jewel the week of March 25, on Lobster night I ordered the strip steak and the lobster. I received the lobster plate with the steak on a separate plate at the same time. 

Also, on another night I ordered extra broccoli and that was not a problem.

Edited by Happy Cruiser Girl

8 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

On my Adventure cruise in Feb., no substitutions were allowed, not even when I asked for more broccoli with my entree since I've noticed they use broccoli sparingly as a garnish.  Both shrimp cocktails I ordered came out one at a time with quite a wait for the 2nd one.  What is the benefit of serving one plate at a time?

Oasis waiter in March was fabulous.  Served both my lobster tail and my husband's (he ordered 2 entrees, lobster for me the other entree for him) on one plate.  When I told her how much I loved shrimp in conversation, she overloaded my plate with tiger shrimp.  She even asked if we had a show to catch, to speed up service.  No shows to catch and yet we finished dinner every night in 1 1/4 hours.  A big improvement over the almost 2 hours pre new menu.

I wonder if the difference was the ship and therefore manager or the month?    

I really hope that they back off on the unreasonable rules before my cruise.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Not in my experience and since the new menus.  I have all gravy/sauces left off my dishes with NO issue with or without any dietary restrictions.    

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

But, wasn't that in the BEFORE times?   There was someone here that reported that exact thing which happened recently.  

Last week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Would that be per trip to the buffet line or an entire feeding frenzy?

Cumulative. They are installing secret scales under the hand wash stations and you now have to make a second stop on way out to get final weight.

Of course I am completely kidding, but wouldn't be surprised if in the future they plate everything in buffet on small plates and you have to take a small portion of everything and put on a tray with some items requiring a swipe to limit repeat people.

Completely hijacked the thread. I didn't have the energy to read 9 pages of speculating if you can remove a sauce or add an extra piece of broccoli. 

I think what people are angry the most about is how they staff are enforcing it by serving one plate at a time. You still get what you want but now you have waiters that are just doing what they are told and it comes across to customers as being "cheap". Especially for the case of surf and turf, just allow people to order the steak that night and add a lobster tail to the plate. they could save the extra sides and customers would be happier.

My biggest pet peeve from the recent oasis sailing was never being offered coffee and then when we asked for it, it came after we finished our deserts. Maybe it was just our waiters but never heard him ask other tables either or if this is part of their "service optimizations".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That has not been our experience. I ask that all sauces be on the side, including salad dressing which I always change because I order Caesar salad and can’t eat the dressing.
Ive changed potatoes and rice and vegetables. Not all the same time of course,😁

I’ve also asked for and received extra veggies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I wonder if the difference was the ship and therefore manager or the month?    

I really hope that they back off on the unreasonable rules before my cruise.  

I do think it varies from ship to ship.  I'm sure the many negative comments will make RCI tone things down.  Hope your cruise is wonderful.

44 minutes ago, djvcr said:

Completely hijacked the thread. I didn't have the energy to read 9 pages of speculating if you can remove a sauce or add an extra piece of broccoli. 

I think what people are angry the most about is how they staff are enforcing it by serving one plate at a time. You still get what you want but now you have waiters that are just doing what they are told and it comes across to customers as being "cheap". Especially for the case of surf and turf, just allow people to order the steak that night and add a lobster tail to the plate. they could save the extra sides and customers would be happier.

My biggest pet peeve from the recent oasis sailing was never being offered coffee and then when we asked for it, it came after we finished our deserts. Maybe it was just our waiters but never heard him ask other tables either or if this is part of their "service optimizations".

Unfortunately, sharing our experiences is not to everyone's liking.  

BTW, on both our recent Adventure and Oasis sailings we were always asked if we wanted coffee at just the right time when dessert was served. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I think it's a shame to take it out on the waiter who is just following the rules. But maybe not and they were excellent the whole 10 weeks. Couldnt have been better imo. .. just didnt serve 2 plates at the same time. 

I dont get why people are taking it out on the waiter. 

I'm not saying anyone will or did. What others do doesn't concern me. My harmless comment was a tongue in cheek comment and be be taken lightly. 🙄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It may be time for a mutiny! Me Hearties!  Tips will be removed and nobody will get a 10 until this stops.  Maybe the only answer.  Although it really doesn't bother me, I never eat 2 of anything.

But I'll participate if it'll help others.

I'm all about making a reasonable complaint, but it must be directed to the right people.  The wait staff has no authority to change the menus or the policies.  Don't mess with them.  

5 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

But, then neither does them saying No to, "Can I have a bunch of Asparagus?"    

This matters to me -- I like a lot of vegetables!  

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

... When I told her how much I loved shrimp in conversation, she overloaded my plate with tiger shrimp ... 

How is the tiger shrimp?  I've never ordered it.

3 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Eh, not a fair comment.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Common sense says that obviously RCI is not going to deny someones request to keep themself safe when things like allergies come into play .You stating that you believe otherwise because of some he said, she said stuff is nothing more than just bad gossip . Misunderstanding or one poor employee is always a possibility , but  the question clearly was related to Policy.

JMHO

Cheers